~World Cosplay Summit Preliminaries - Official Panel Information Page~

Started by TokyoKitty, April 29, 2010, 11:20:37 PM

PsychicPsycho

"Send four costume photos of your favorite costumes you've made with descriptions"
Do the costumes have to be fully based on the original outfit of the character, or can they be personal takes on the character? For example, some people genderbend the characters, some people make lolita versions of the characters, etc.

Unfortunately my costume for the skit is still in the works, and thus I don't have a picture of it yet. Doubly unfortunately, it's my best costume to date. Alas, I shall make due, lol

Also, I'm glad I'm not the only one having passport issues, but mine is currently in the process of being renewed (I'm waiting for it in the mail, but it could take a few weeks). I'll definitely have it before Fanime, but I don't know how close I'll be pushing it. Can I give the expired passport's number and change it when I get my new one? Should I make a note in the resume that I won't have it for a couple weeks and then send it in later? Or will I have to wait until I get it to finish my resume and send it? I'm nervous that that would be pushing it a little...

TokyoKitty

Quote from: PsychicPsycho on May 05, 2010, 07:56:46 PM
"Send four costume photos of your favorite costumes you've made with descriptions"
Do the costumes have to be fully based on the original outfit of the character, or can they be personal takes on the character? For example, some people genderbend the characters, some people make lolita versions of the characters, etc.

Unfortunately my costume for the skit is still in the works, and thus I don't have a picture of it yet. Doubly unfortunately, it's my best costume to date. Alas, I shall make due, lol

Also, I'm glad I'm not the only one having passport issues, but mine is currently in the process of being renewed (I'm waiting for it in the mail, but it could take a few weeks). I'll definitely have it before Fanime, but I don't know how close I'll be pushing it. Can I give the expired passport's number and change it when I get my new one? Should I make a note in the resume that I won't have it for a couple weeks and then send it in later? Or will I have to wait until I get it to finish my resume and send it? I'm nervous that that would be pushing it a little...

Well...just let me know what your intended costume is for the Summit. If you don't have any costumes specifically based on the original character, send your favs that have the modifications, and just send a little blurb about it with the photo descriptions.

Include the old passport number (if it's a renewal it should be the same), and notate that you are in the process of renewal on the resume. If you don't have it for Fanime, it's ok.
"Humans are cowards in the face of happiness. It takes courage to hold on to happiness." - Momoko Ryugasaki

slifertheskydragon

mom says she has to go to the bank to get my passport... is it ok to send the resume in w.o it with that note atm, or should I wait for her to get back to me...?

oh also: you say "one resume per member" but should both members resumes be in the same email? or should they be separate and put like "my partner is __________ @ (email)" or something like that? (I saw both in one email is fine, i'm just not sure which is more convienient)

TokyoKitty

Note that you have it, and send me the number later when you get it.

You can send me one email with both resumes and all the photos (it makes it easier for me).

Quote from: slifertheskydragon on May 06, 2010, 03:45:58 PM
mom says she has to go to the bank to get my passport... is it ok to send the resume in w.o it with that note atm, or should I wait for her to get back to me...?

oh also: you say "one resume per member" but should both members resumes be in the same email? or should they be separate and put like "my partner is __________ @ (email)" or something like that? (I saw both in one email is fine, i'm just not sure which is more convienient)
"Humans are cowards in the face of happiness. It takes courage to hold on to happiness." - Momoko Ryugasaki

TokyoKitty

Quote from: tubular on May 05, 2010, 07:08:54 AM
Quote from: TokyoKitty on May 04, 2010, 11:37:43 PM
Yes, just make sure to get a renewal soon since they can take up to 6 weeks to get back.

Thank you for your help!

One last question - do you know what the approximate size of the "stage" will be? (For that matter, will there be a stage?) Also, do you know if the room will have low ceilings? Will participants be able to use props like flags, staffs, ribbons or other long/tall objects without hitting the ceiling?

I did get part of an answer for you. The ceilings are 14ft high. I will post the official size of the "stage" area as soon as I get final word from facilities about the room size.

Edo

Quote from: slifertheskydragon on May 06, 2010, 03:45:58 PM

Having your passport application in and providing proof of that should be sufficient, the finals in Japan are late July so that will be plenty of time. US citizens do not need a visa:
http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1148.html#entry_requirements

Keep in mind also there is no strict age restriction for participation but if you are under 18 you will need consent from a parent. (Check WCS Participation Regulation #5 at the top of the thread)

TokyoKitty

Just an FYI for everyone: The size of Room F is 37ft by 36ft and has the ceiling dimension of 14 feet. That gives us about 1300 sq. feet. I will figure out how big our staging area is for all of you for your skits after I number crunch a bit ^^

TokyoKitty

OK...for the performance area size you're looking at a bit more than 1/3 of the room (around 12ft x 32ft). If may alter a bit larger for the width.

tubular

TokyoKitty

Quote from: tubular on May 11, 2010, 07:52:49 AM
Is 12ft the depth and 32ft the length or vice versa?

Depth = 12ft
Length = 32ft

The full length is 36ft, but I'm putting a buffer around the wall. We will probably have a little bit more room to work with, I just want to be on the safe side. Count on this being the size ^^

TokyoKitty

I have been announcing judges on the FB page one by one for those of you interested. After I make the announcement for all of them, I'll post the full list back to here.

Keep checking back on the forums the next couple of days. I have a wonderful announcement for all of you ^^

TokyoKitty

TokyoKitty

Judges announced: US - Darryl Hwang, Die, Vince of Darkain Multimedia, Etaru, ThePrincessZelda and Tokyo Kitty
Japan - Yokota-san (TV Aichi), and Edo

TokyoKitty

This is the official prize list for the winning contestants!
1st Place: Trip to Japan for the finals + $450
2nd Place: $800
3rd Place: $500
4th Place: $150
5th Place: $150
6th Place: $150
7th Place: $150
8th Place: $150
9th Place: Neko Planet Prize Pack
10th Place: Neko Planet Prize Pack

The World Cosplay Summit approached Kyle of Cosplay.com about prize support and he graciously donated gift certificates for the US prelims. A big thanks to Kyle!

Neko Planet will also be donating the 9th and 10th place prizes. http://www.nekoplanetclothing.com/

Pass on the word and make sure to enter!

TokyoKitty

Just an FYI: I have been getting this question a lot. The costumes worn do not have to be new costumes made just for the event ^^

TokyoKitty

About the judges (more info on Facebook): All of the judges have been recommended by various people and sites from around the cosplay community in the last month and all have their own specialties. The judging panel is very diverse to get a look at all aspects of the performance and costumes. We want the very best team competing to go to Japan and represent the United States.

Darryl - long time cosplayer, MC, and Masquerade judge
Etaru - featured cosplayer, detail work, crafts/props
Darkain - cosplay photographer
Die - long time cosplayer, industry apparel designer
TPZ - award-winning cosplayer
TK - long time cosplayer, event coordinator, WCS2005 US Team

TokyoKitty

I haven't posted this prior: We will be taking resumes for entry in the event until Wednesday, May 26th, 2010 (9PM cut off time) or when I fill all of the entry slots

Kiara

Quote from: TokyoKitty on May 13, 2010, 10:29:52 PM
I haven't posted this prior: We will be taking resumes for entry in the event until Wednesday, May 26th, 2010 (9PM cut off time) or when I fill all of the entry slots

How many entry slots are there? And also, What if one of the partners is someone new to cosplay and doesn't really have a resume, but the other has been a cosplayer for several years? Is that not allowed? Or am I correct to assume that both partners need to have prior cosplay experience?

Cosplayer/Photographer in the East Bay.

TokyoKitty

Quote from: Kiara on May 13, 2010, 10:48:06 PM
Quote from: TokyoKitty on May 13, 2010, 10:29:52 PM

How many entry slots are there? And also, What if one of the partners is someone new to cosplay and doesn't really have a resume, but the other has been a cosplayer for several years? Is that not allowed? Or am I correct to assume that both partners need to have prior cosplay experience?

I have another 13 available slots. If your partner is new to cosplay, then that's ok ^^ They can fill out as much of the info as possible.

Kiara

Awesome! Then expect an application from my group within the next few days. ^_^ Thank you!

Cosplayer/Photographer in the East Bay.