~World Cosplay Summit Preliminaries - Official Panel Information Page~

Started by TokyoKitty, April 29, 2010, 11:20:37 PM

TokyoKitty

Quote from: Kiara on May 13, 2010, 11:04:34 PM
Awesome! Then expect an application from my group within the next few days. ^_^ Thank you!

You are very welcome ^^
"Humans are cowards in the face of happiness. It takes courage to hold on to happiness." - Momoko Ryugasaki

hellangel

I have a Taiwan passport but a Green Card for permanent residency on the US. Am I still eligible to enter, or do I have to be a citizen?
Upcoming events:

YCon | PMX | ALA | AOD | Fanime | AX

TokyoKitty

Quote from: hellangel on May 16, 2010, 12:55:16 PM
I have a Taiwan passport but a Green Card for permanent residency on the US. Am I still eligible to enter, or do I have to be a citizen?

We are allowing Permanent US Residents to enter this year, so you would be eligible to enter. I would just need your passport number and the Perm. Res. ID number.
"Humans are cowards in the face of happiness. It takes courage to hold on to happiness." - Momoko Ryugasaki

Kiara

I know the contest rules say Anime, Manga, and video games, but I'm wondering if it's alright to be Vocaloids? Since they made Project Diva, it's now considered a video game, right?

Cosplayer/Photographer in the East Bay.

TokyoKitty

Quote from: Kiara on May 16, 2010, 03:00:27 PM
I know the contest rules say Anime, Manga, and video games, but I'm wondering if it's alright to be Vocaloids? Since they made Project Diva, it's now considered a video game, right?

Hmm... I know the Project Diva game is coming out in July... I have no problem with a Vocaloid group (as long as they aren't just fan made Vocaloids but official characters from Project Diva). I don't know what the final say will be if you made it to the finals in Japan with the Vocaloid characters (I would have to find out), but for the prelims I will allow it.

Kiara

Well, we would do something different for the Finals if we made it there, but for the prelims, we wanted to do these outfits from the Servant of Evil video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwnyPIbt1BA&feature=related

Would that be alright? I don't know if those are considered fan designs, because I know the vocaloids have many different outfits depending on the songs they are singing.

Thank you!

TokyoKitty

Hmmm... Everything I've seen with this particular story series refers to it a doujin since it was created by Aku no-P via blog (at least the story portion)... Vocaloid is a bit tricky to characterize... Let's chat about this to see if we can get this figured out. PM me or email the WCS address.

Kiara

One more question. I'm asking it out of private messaging, because it's relevant to everyone else too. When it asks us to list out "Costumes and awards", does it only want to know about costumes that have won awards, or about all the costumes we've worn, even if they have won us no award?

TokyoKitty

Quote from: Kiara on May 16, 2010, 11:15:19 PM
One more question. I'm asking it out of private messaging, because it's relevant to everyone else too. When it asks us to list out "Costumes and awards", does it only want to know about costumes that have won awards, or about all the costumes we've worn, even if they have won us no award?

If you have a huge costume list, you don't have to list everything. You can pick and choose. Some groups have just listed award winning costumes, some have listed all of them. I will leave it to your discretion with what you think we should know with your resume.

TokyoKitty

Just to let everyone know: Vocaloid is allowed in the prelims.

I have been getting emails asking if we still have space left in the event. Yes, we do. If you are interested, get your resumes in to me quickly, especially if you need a specific time slot. Most of my spots are later (after 1:30). I have one or two more I can schedule for the morning if need be.

bubydub

So I've finished my prelim costume and its my best work yet, but it is not photographed yet. Should I photograph it and include it in the resume or is it better to showcase other costumes? How important is the resume compared to the actual skit performance? Are there still slots open? Will the skit carry much weight in the audition? Is it preferred to have an audio CD prepared beforehand with audio/music? Does the cosplayer need to bring in reference images of the costume? Thanks so much in advance!

TokyoKitty

Quote from: bubydub on May 21, 2010, 12:41:20 AM
So I've finished my prelim costume and its my best work yet, but it is not photographed yet. Should I photograph it and include it in the resume or is it better to showcase other costumes? How important is the resume compared to the actual skit performance? Are there still slots open? Will the skit carry much weight in the audition? Is it preferred to have an audio CD prepared beforehand with audio/music? Does the cosplayer need to bring in reference images of the costume? Thanks so much in advance!

First of all, yes, we still have spaces open ^^

You do not have to photograph your prelim costume and included it unless you want to. You can showcase your other costumes. The resume gives us an idea of your experiences as a cosplayer and a glimpse at your other work. For how you will be judged, please refer to the main post on page one under Judging Criteria for the Championship. The prelims will be following those point guidelines. Most of your points will be between craftsmanship and your performance with some emphasis on the fidelity to the original character for the costume. You do not need to bring in reference material unless there is a specific image of your character you would like us to reference for some of the judging.

You must have your audio/music on CD for your performance. I will send everyone instructions that is auditioning on how to get that to me.

You're welcome ^^ Make sure to get that resume in soon!

PsychicPsycho

"It is not permitted to directly copy original drawings or logos to your equipment or props."

"Having copyrighted material on equipment or props can be a problem for the competition if the WCS doesn't have the rights to use it in the event. For an example: Someone is doing an Evangelion performance and they are using a prop screen in the background with the NERV logo on it."

What about the cosplay itself? My cosplay has logos/badges on it, can I still put them on? I'm not quite sure where the line is drawn on the copyright issue ^^;

TokyoKitty

Quote from: PsychicPsycho on May 22, 2010, 02:56:01 PM
"It is not permitted to directly copy original drawings or logos to your equipment or props."

"Having copyrighted material on equipment or props can be a problem for the competition if the WCS doesn't have the rights to use it in the event. For an example: Someone is doing an Evangelion performance and they are using a prop screen in the background with the NERV logo on it."

What about the cosplay itself? My cosplay has logos/badges on it, can I still put them on? I'm not quite sure where the line is drawn on the copyright issue ^^;

For the prelims, don't worry about it. We can cross that bridge if we need to in the future ^^

TokyoKitty

We still have a few afternoon spots left ^^ Cut off is tomorrow

TokyoKitty

Admission to compete in the event is now closed. Please keep up with us on Facebook or Twitter for WCS news.

TokyoKitty

I want to thank everyone that participated in the event!

Our new US Team for 2010 is Kathryn Griffin and Krystal Stoner!

Coverage will be posted to the Facebook and Twitter page as well as the official WCS pages. Keep up with us, look out for upcoming coverage for the finals and the event next year!

TokyoKitty

:D I'm already getting questions about next year which is exciting. If you have questions about the WCS 2011 Prelims, please email me at [email protected]. You can also watch our Twitter, and Facebook pages (soon to be an LJ group as well). The links are in the first post. Make sure to start getting ready early!

Here is the US Entry for the 2010 Finals: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-yZPsmvzFs