I'm new to the Swap Meet... And I'll be selling this year... Any tips for me? D:

Started by yotsuba, April 29, 2010, 11:50:30 PM

Kyra_Maverick

Also, bring bags! Old plastic bags from the grocery store are awesome. When someone buys an arm full of stuff, they will thank you.

Eurobeat King

Quote from: Kyra_Maverick on May 07, 2010, 04:29:32 PM
Also, bring bags! Old plastic bags from the grocery store are awesome. When someone buys an arm full of stuff, they will thank you.

I will have a lot of Panda Express and other restaurant bags with me to give to customers who buy a lot of stuff.  :)  If they buy one item, i have smaller bags from Taco Bell.  ;)
"Freedom is the right of all sentient cosplayers."

yotsuba

Quote from: Kyra_Maverick on May 06, 2010, 11:11:40 AM
I've never heard of anyone having real issues with theft. Yeah, your spot will be crowded with people, but most people are pretty honest. Customers at your spot notice with other customers are holding/looking at and most will say something if they see someone try to walk off with something they haven't paid for.

Try to keep your stuff in neat, categorized piles. That will make keeping an eye on everything easier.

Ah, gotcha. That's definitely good to know.
Will definitely keep my stuff neat. :D

Quote from: arcadiapandora on May 07, 2010, 05:17:59 AM
Wanted to throw in my lot as well:

The one year I did the Swap Meet, I sold about 95% of the stuff I brought with me, which was a good 100-200 volumes of manga and various video games, comics, doujins, and other miscellaneous stuff.

My number one piece of advice? Don't be shy. I was really into the whole salesman thing because I wanted to get rid of my accumulated stuff, and anytime someone walked by I called out to them. Most people you scream at will stop for a few minutes to check out your stuff even if they're not particularily interested at first glance. I made several sales with reluctant buyers simply by engaging them before they could dismiss my lot. :) I also sold most of my stuff pretty cheap -- 50% off or so of the original retail price or more for every item. As far as re-selling your stuff goes, it's pretty rare to get more than that back, and my biggest goal was not having to take any of my stuff home again. I gave discounts often and frequently, and definitely dropped prices where bulk-purchasing was concerned.

And DEFINITELY get about 100$ worth of change in 10$, 5$, and 1$ bills. The bill I received most often was a 20$ bill, and I even helped other swap-meet sellers make change a few times. It really helps to be prepared. :)

Hm, very good piece of advice indeed. :D
I'll have to do that too, just call out people.
Sounds like it really works lol
I'll definitely be bringing plenty of change.
And discounts where I can...
Hm. $20 bills mostly...

yotsuba

Hm, does anyone by any chance know where I can grab/buy some plastic bags?
I mean, I have some that I've collected....... But I feel, I'm gonna need more...
Any leads?  :D

LordKefka

FanimeCon Press, 2007-2012
FanimeCon Registration Staff, 2007
Fanime Forums Moderator
Anime Boston Press, 2010-2012
AOD Press, 2011
Otakon Press, 2012
Anime Expo Press, 2008-2012
Anime Central Press, 2008
THEManime.org, Staff
Animesou.com, Editor

yotsuba

Quote from: LordKefka on May 15, 2010, 12:24:37 AM
Try a supermarket?

I thought about it...
But I felt it'd be kinda awkward if I just walked in and asked...
"Hey, can I have some plastic bags, please?"

Hm.
It doesn't hurt to try. lol
Maybe I'll just buy a few things...
Then just ask "Can I have a couple more bags?"

...I mean, it's not like the workers usually care, right? lol  ;D

LordKefka

FanimeCon Press, 2007-2012
FanimeCon Registration Staff, 2007
Fanime Forums Moderator
Anime Boston Press, 2010-2012
AOD Press, 2011
Otakon Press, 2012
Anime Expo Press, 2008-2012
Anime Central Press, 2008
THEManime.org, Staff
Animesou.com, Editor

FanFicGuru

Supermarkets have bags to burn. But, if you want to be more discreet, just go to the grocery store to one of those self checkout things and just double/triple bag everything you get. Chances are if you ask them they'll just give some to you, so it wouldn't hurt to try. :-)
Fanime attendee since 2004
Swap meet staff - 2014
Swap meet co-chair - 2015

Xanreo

Quote from: FanFicGuru on May 15, 2010, 12:54:18 PM
Supermarkets have bags to burn. But, if you want to be more discreet, just go to the grocery store to one of those self checkout things and just double/triple bag everything you get. Chances are if you ask them they'll just give some to you, so it wouldn't hurt to try. :-)

Yep, self checkout and you'll have all the bags you need; another choice is to go to the grocery section and get those clear plastic ones for small to medium sized items.

Fanime 2017
Eromanga-Sensei | Digimon World: Next Order

Hikaru Kazushime

Kazu's Ultimate Swap Meet Tips For Buyers and Sellers:

For those who are selling at the swap meet: Please be friendly, kind, and patient for those who are buying from you or are asking about your item/s. If a potential buyer would like to browse your items, let them look through your wares. Please do not sell items that are extras from magazines for insane prices. I came across a group last year who tore a bunch of posters out of NewType magazines and were selling them for $10 a piece! This is infuriating and anyone in their right mind will pass you up if you do so.
Please sell things related to anime and otaku culture, no one wants to look through your used National Geographic magazine stack you've been collecting for 20 years.
Remember to display your items in a way that is clearly visible to those passing by, it becomes difficult to sell things that are sitting inside of a box- many people will just move on.
Also, if you have a way of providing change to people, it becomes incredibly helpful to both you and the buyer- many people save up for this thing and will have multiple 20's, 50's, and even 100's.
Please be attentive to the buyer, and helpful when answering questions about your item.

Buyers will usually buy items from sellers whose items are displayed openly, related to anime, manga, gaming and otaku culture, are of decent quality, do not smell of pee or poo, and whose items are fairly priced.

As a swap meet veteran, I haven't run into too many whose prices were too high. Most folks generally price things at a great and affordable price. However, some tend to think that they can sell their manga or figures for the same price that they are sold in the stores. Those people almost never sell anything. You have to understand the laws of the swap meet: You're selling to get rid of your items for 3 reasons:

1.To clear some space from things you no longer desire to own
2.To make a bit of money doing so, so that you can use it on other things.
3.To have a bit of fun.

You are not selling to:

1.Make a huge profit and a killing off of anime fans
2.Rip people off because they don't know what they're buying
3.Get whatever you can make out of the extras that come with Japanese magazines because you have nothing better to sell...>.>

Please keep these things in mind, check the official Fanime rules and such for the official info, and have fun.

For those who buy at the swap meet:
You can buy whatever you like, your money is yours- but some helpful tips may just save you from getting ripped off, or may help you come home with more loot.

For buyers, especially if you're a "power buyer" like I am- I suggest before you even enter the swap meet, bring bags. Garbage bags, backpack bags, luggage bags, whatever you can to stuff your loot into as you fight this war. Yes, it's a war.

Troops! I call to you this day: Be prepared to get in there, and grab whatever rare loot you can find! Anything that simply "tickles" your fancy, BUY IT WITHOUT REASON. That is the law of the otaku.
Consume any and all rare objects, and do it swiftly, and without much notice. Pay quickly, and move on. Other hunters will be out there to snag whatever they can find before you, so hurry, but don't cause any confusion. You don't want other item hunters to know you're after the same treasure. Follow the order and flow of the traffic, and master it to your best understanding. There is usually traffic directors to heed the flow of traffic. Don't bother with cosplay, you're there to get in, grab as much loot as you can, and get out. (paying for all of it of course.)
You must respect the otaku code by standing in seemingly endless lines, seas and oceans of those like yourself, and pay a good price for objects you bargain for. Don't be too hasty when obtaining an item! See if you can chat with the seller about the price if you are unhappy with the item. Some even accept trades.
Don't harass a single person, but do haggle a bit to try to get a good deal.

The Swap Meet Warrior is one of no emotion. A silent and swift buyer who contains all excitement and love within while using that never-ending energy of happiness to continue fighting the crowds for limited and rare goods.

Good luck soldiers!

*This concludes kazu's guide to the swap meet...*

yotsuba

Quote from: Hikaru Kazushime on May 20, 2010, 12:42:58 AM
Kazu's Ultimate Swap Meet Tips For Buyers and Sellers:

For those who are selling at the swap meet: Please be friendly, kind, and patient for those who are buying from you or are asking about your item/s. If a potential buyer would like to browse your items, let them look through your wares. Please do not sell items that are extras from magazines for insane prices. I came across a group last year who tore a bunch of posters out of NewType magazines and were selling them for $10 a piece! This is infuriating and anyone in their right mind will pass you up if you do so.
Please sell things related to anime and otaku culture, no one wants to look through your used National Geographic magazine stack you've been collecting for 20 years.
Remember to display your items in a way that is clearly visible to those passing by, it becomes difficult to sell things that are sitting inside of a box- many people will just move on.
Also, if you have a way of providing change to people, it becomes incredibly helpful to both you and the buyer- many people save up for this thing and will have multiple 20's, 50's, and even 100's.
Please be attentive to the buyer, and helpful when answering questions about your item.

Buyers will usually buy items from sellers whose items are displayed openly, related to anime, manga, gaming and otaku culture, are of decent quality, do not smell of pee or poo, and whose items are fairly priced.

As a swap meet veteran, I haven't run into too many whose prices were too high. Most folks generally price things at a great and affordable price. However, some tend to think that they can sell their manga or figures for the same price that they are sold in the stores. Those people almost never sell anything. You have to understand the laws of the swap meet: You're selling to get rid of your items for 3 reasons:

1.To clear some space from things you no longer desire to own
2.To make a bit of money doing so, so that you can use it on other things.
3.To have a bit of fun.

You are not selling to:

1.Make a huge profit and a killing off of anime fans
2.Rip people off because they don't know what they're buying
3.Get whatever you can make out of the extras that come with Japanese magazines because you have nothing better to sell...>.>

Please keep these things in mind, check the official Fanime rules and such for the official info, and have fun.

For those who buy at the swap meet:
You can buy whatever you like, your money is yours- but some helpful tips may just save you from getting ripped off, or may help you come home with more loot.

For buyers, especially if you're a "power buyer" like I am- I suggest before you even enter the swap meet, bring bags. Garbage bags, backpack bags, luggage bags, whatever you can to stuff your loot into as you fight this war. Yes, it's a war.

Troops! I call to you this day: Be prepared to get in there, and grab whatever rare loot you can find! Anything that simply "tickles" your fancy, BUY IT WITHOUT REASON. That is the law of the otaku.
Consume any and all rare objects, and do it swiftly, and without much notice. Pay quickly, and move on. Other hunters will be out there to snag whatever they can find before you, so hurry, but don't cause any confusion. You don't want other item hunters to know you're after the same treasure. Follow the order and flow of the traffic, and master it to your best understanding. There is usually traffic directors to heed the flow of traffic. Don't bother with cosplay, you're there to get in, grab as much loot as you can, and get out. (paying for all of it of course.)
You must respect the otaku code by standing in seemingly endless lines, seas and oceans of those like yourself, and pay a good price for objects you bargain for. Don't be too hasty when obtaining an item! See if you can chat with the seller about the price if you are unhappy with the item. Some even accept trades.
Don't harass a single person, but do haggle a bit to try to get a good deal.

The Swap Meet Warrior is one of no emotion. A silent and swift buyer who contains all excitement and love within while using that never-ending energy of happiness to continue fighting the crowds for limited and rare goods.

Good luck soldiers!

*This concludes kazu's guide to the swap meet...*

Very nice guide! Thanks! :D
This got me pumped up again. lol  ;D
Gonna hit the bank shortly to get PLENTY of change.

yotsuba

Oh, I was wondering...

How do you guys usually transport your goods to and from the selling areas?
Especially people with a lot of stuff... >.< What do you guys usually use?
I'm having a bit of trouble finding ways to transport things...
Without having to leave stuff and come back for it...

I'm looking for a simple in and out in one go. >.<

Any tips, please? ???

FanFicGuru

Quote from: yotsuba on May 21, 2010, 10:36:05 AM
Oh, I was wondering...

Any tips, please? ???

I have a large suitcase. My wares typically fit in that. Otherwise there are a number of good plastic containers with lids you could get from Target or a store like that to hold your stuff for ~$7-10.
Fanime attendee since 2004
Swap meet staff - 2014
Swap meet co-chair - 2015

Eurobeat King

Oh, I was wondering...

Any tips, please? ???

I park my car 2 floors below in the convention center garage as close as I can to the elevator closest to the Swap Meet entrance.  Since I don't have a hand-cart I have to carry everything by hand, so that means a couple of trips, with my friend(s) watching my spot as I go back n' forth.  Currently I'm looking at 3 boxes, 2 suitcases, one looong cardbox box (it's for a 5' x 8' banner) and one boombox. 

If you have friends that can help you just to transport your stuff from your car to your place in-line, to help move your stuff to check-in, and then help move it back to your car/room at the end of the night(s), that would help. 

Again, if you're parking your car in the convention center garage, try to get there early and find a spot closest to the elevator that when you exit, you're by the entrance of Exhibitor Hall 3.  :)

yotsuba

Quote from: FanFicGuru on May 21, 2010, 01:59:35 PM
I have a large suitcase. My wares typically fit in that. Otherwise there are a number of good plastic containers with lids you could get from Target or a store like that to hold your stuff for ~$7-10.

Hm, I'm trying out some large suitcase... Trying to find some to be honest... >.<
I'll probably check out lids at Target.

Quote from: Eurobeat King on May 22, 2010, 04:37:04 PM
I park my car 2 floors below in the convention center garage as close as I can to the elevator closest to the Swap Meet entrance.  Since I don't have a hand-cart I have to carry everything by hand, so that means a couple of trips, with my friend(s) watching my spot as I go back n' forth.  Currently I'm looking at 3 boxes, 2 suitcases, one looong cardbox box (it's for a 5' x 8' banner) and one boombox. 

If you have friends that can help you just to transport your stuff from your car to your place in-line, to help move your stuff to check-in, and then help move it back to your car/room at the end of the night(s), that would help. 

Again, if you're parking your car in the convention center garage, try to get there early and find a spot closest to the elevator that when you exit, you're by the entrance of Exhibitor Hall 3.  :)

Hm, that elevator spot sounds very good. >.<
Or anywhere close to it, really.
Does the elevator go all the way up to Exhibitor Hall 3 from the Garage?? =O

5 x 8 banner?? =O What's that for? (I'm just curious... lol)
Sounds like you have a lot of stuff to bring >.<

Oh yeah... Do you have to have your stuff at the check-in line?
Or can you leave it in your car and then come back for it after you've checked in and paid?

Eurobeat King

Quote from: yotsuba on May 23, 2010, 04:59:19 PM
Hm, that elevator spot sounds very good. >.<
Or anywhere close to it, really.
Does the elevator go all the way up to Exhibitor Hall 3 from the Garage?? =O

5 x 8 banner?? =O What's that for? (I'm just curious... lol)
Sounds like you have a lot of stuff to bring >.<

Oh yeah... Do you have to have your stuff at the check-in line?
Or can you leave it in your car and then come back for it after you've checked in and paid?

Yes, the Elevators for the parking garage go up 2 levels.  The 1st level is the ground level, where Pre-Registration is and access to the Fountains Area (for cosplay gatherings.)  The 2nd level is the 2nd floor of the convention center, where the Exhibit Halls are, as well as Stage Zero.

The 5' x 8' banner is a big poster of Ponyo and it's for-sale for anyone who loved the movie and/or is a fan of Miyazaki.  It's quite big to hang up in a house (it's meant to be hung in a shopping center, bus-shelter, or a movie theater.)  :)  It comes up rolled-up and put into a box, so anyone who does buy it from me can transport it easily. 

I told myself I wouldn't have too much to sell this year, but it turns out I'll have over 5-6 boxes/suitcases worth of stuff again. haha

It would help if you have all your stuff upstairs with you in-line before you check-in, cos when you do check-in, you'll want to bring your stuff to your section, set-up, and begin-selling (when allowed to) or do some last-minute pricing of your items.  Having just some of your items with you, checking-in, and then going back to your car/room to get the rest of the stuff will only tire you out, imo.  It's best to have everything with you when it's time to check-in.  If you're by yourself, you could maybe ask some of the Swap Meet staff if they'll help bring some of your stuff to your section.  :)

Hikaru Kazushime

Quote from: yotsuba on May 21, 2010, 10:33:38 AM
Very nice guide! Thanks! :D
This got me pumped up again. lol  ;D
Gonna hit the bank shortly to get PLENTY of change.
No problem! Get ready for an awesome time! 5 days left!!! 6 days if you're only selling during Friday's SM.

Oh, I was wondering...

Any tips, please? ???

A professional otaku must always have the proper means of transportation.
Personally, I bring:

2 Large Black Rolling Luggage Bags
1 Camping Backpack
1 Messenger Bag
1 Extra Back-Up Backpack
1 Vest w/pockets
Several extra garbage bags

Explanation:
The 2 large rolling luggage bags are mostly for the swap meet- they will be the most handy, as they will store most magazines and books that are obtained, along with heavier items that would be hard to carry on the back- and also figure boxes. Usually only need one, but bringing a back-up this year.

The Camping backpack is a way to store more goods on my back that aren't super heavy.

The Messenger Bag will contain one open slot in the front with my wallet open, ready for a swift swipe of the hand to reach in quickly for easy wallet access. I hate spending the time to pull out my wallet while others are using those 4.5 seconds to buy other prized goods. It is also good for carrying most thin goods, like magazines, art books, and my stash of nutrigrain bars I eat every 20 minutes for optimum strength.

I always bring an extra back-up backpack that is small to carry on my right side on the outside of the camping backpack for smaller goods that would take up space in the other storage/luggages/packs.

And finally to finish it off, why not a vest with pockets for stashing anything that it can fit? If you can wear clothing that can store items, then more power to you.

I may sound a little insane, but that's my 2 cents on how Kazu shops at FanimeCon, and majorly at the swap meet. :)

Edit: Garbage bags are small and can fit in the smallest places- until you use them! This is a great idea for anyone who is unsure if what they brought to store items in is big enough or not. Garbage bags are my last resort, but well worth it when you find yourself with too much loot and no way to carry it back.

-Kazu

yotsuba

Quote from: Eurobeat King on May 23, 2010, 05:37:23 PM
Yes, the Elevators for the parking garage go up 2 levels.  The 1st level is the ground level, where Pre-Registration is and access to the Fountains Area (for cosplay gatherings.)  The 2nd level is the 2nd floor of the convention center, where the Exhibit Halls are, as well as Stage Zero.

The 5' x 8' banner is a big poster of Ponyo and it's for-sale for anyone who loved the movie and/or is a fan of Miyazaki.  It's quite big to hang up in a house (it's meant to be hung in a shopping center, bus-shelter, or a movie theater.)  :)  It comes up rolled-up and put into a box, so anyone who does buy it from me can transport it easily. 

I told myself I wouldn't have too much to sell this year, but it turns out I'll have over 5-6 boxes/suitcases worth of stuff again. haha

It would help if you have all your stuff upstairs with you in-line before you check-in, cos when you do check-in, you'll want to bring your stuff to your section, set-up, and begin-selling (when allowed to) or do some last-minute pricing of your items.  Having just some of your items with you, checking-in, and then going back to your car/room to get the rest of the stuff will only tire you out, imo.  It's best to have everything with you when it's time to check-in.  If you're by yourself, you could maybe ask some of the Swap Meet staff if they'll help bring some of your stuff to your section.  :)

That really is a huge banner... lol
Ah, I guess I'll have to find a better way to bring everything in one go.
I definitely don't want to go back and forth grabbing stuff... >.<
Definitely gonna look into other options. :D

Quote from: Hikaru Kazushime on May 23, 2010, 11:28:26 PM

A professional otaku must always have the proper means of transportation.
Personally, I bring:

2 Large Black Rolling Luggage Bags
1 Camping Backpack
1 Messenger Bag
1 Extra Back-Up Backpack
1 Vest w/pockets
Several extra garbage bags

Explanation:
The 2 large rolling luggage bags are mostly for the swap meet- they will be the most handy, as they will store most magazines and books that are obtained, along with heavier items that would be hard to carry on the back- and also figure boxes. Usually only need one, but bringing a back-up this year.

The Camping backpack is a way to store more goods on my back that aren't super heavy.

The Messenger Bag will contain one open slot in the front with my wallet open, ready for a swift swipe of the hand to reach in quickly for easy wallet access. I hate spending the time to pull out my wallet while others are using those 4.5 seconds to buy other prized goods. It is also good for carrying most thin goods, like magazines, art books, and my stash of nutrigrain bars I eat every 20 minutes for optimum strength.

I always bring an extra back-up backpack that is small to carry on my right side on the outside of the camping backpack for smaller goods that would take up space in the other storage/luggages/packs.

And finally to finish it off, why not a vest with pockets for stashing anything that it can fit? If you can wear clothing that can store items, then more power to you.

I may sound a little insane, but that's my 2 cents on how Kazu shops at FanimeCon, and majorly at the swap meet. :)

Edit: Garbage bags are small and can fit in the smallest places- until you use them! This is a great idea for anyone who is unsure if what they brought to store items in is big enough or not. Garbage bags are my last resort, but well worth it when you find yourself with too much loot and no way to carry it back.

-Kazu

Oh wow lol that's a lot of baggage...
Got me looking into travel bags now...
Definitely gonna have a messenger bag though.

It does sound insane, I won't lie...
But that's some real dedication.  :)

Oh, and that garbage bag tip,
I'm definitely going to bring a couple.  ;D
Never once thought about that...