forum clean up

Started by thesteve, May 11, 2010, 11:15:35 AM

thesteve

I've spent the last few days reading the forums and one thing that has bugged me is realizing that I'm reading a post form 2 years ago.  is it possible to archive the past years and have a separate section for the current year.  I know this wont happen right a way but it would be nice for for fanime 2011 talk.   

PyronIkari

Quote from: thesteve on May 11, 2010, 11:15:35 AM
I've spent the last few days reading the forums and one thing that has bugged me is realizing that I'm reading a post form 2 years ago.  is it possible to archive the past years and have a separate section for the current year.  I know this wont happen right a way but it would be nice for for fanime 2011 talk.   

Why are you reading posts from two years ago instead of reading topics on the front pages?

TC X0 Lt 0X

Quote from: PyronIkari on May 11, 2010, 11:39:19 AM
Quote from: thesteve on May 11, 2010, 11:15:35 AM

Why are you reading posts from two years ago instead of reading topics on the front pages?

This.
The only way your going to get to threads that old is going past the first page of the sections. This forum is small and so we don't see many threads being made, so going past the first page is pointless.
Hell, half are sections still have threads that have not been replied to for 6 months still on the first page.

"Never beg. You earn. By Winning.
Or else you won't get anything..."

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

AuroraDreamer

Maybe thesteve was searching for a topic, and kept running across old forums. I know I have done that a lot =/ It gets annoying, but I got over it.

thesteve

older posts (2008-2009) have popped up as soon as page 2 but more often page 3.

Quote from: AuroraDreamer on May 11, 2010, 12:47:52 PM
Maybe thesteve was searching for a topic, and kept running across old forums. I know I have done that a lot =/ It gets annoying, but I got over it.

that is a problem. i understand keeping the old post for archive reasons but it just seams cluttered in the main forums keeping all the old posts there.   

ewu

there are many things that hold true over many years and I think in all likelyhood they will stay. Being the super-mod for the fanime forums, I'm not very motivated to take them off while there is still a need and a use for them.
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom

heeroyuy135

Besides, you're going to run into issues of backposts on any forum. It just all depends on how fast the boards move to where you start to see those backposts when you go anywhere beyond on the first few pages.

Tony

I think we used to prune topics that were older, which solved this problem. But there are some legendary, old threads that linger.

This is an issue on many message boards, and there's no good solution, but maybe to have a person (or twenty :P) manually keep things tidy. But even then, there's a good amount of judgement required.

Best bet is to keep an eye open for the post date.
Retired.
Tyrannical Board Admin, 2003-2015
Webmaster, 2003-2007
Head of MusicFest, which has the best damn staff out there, 2005-2008
Convention Chair, 2009-2011
Director of Guest Relations, 2012
Something with Guest Relations, 2013
Father, 2014