[Question] Selling handmade goods outside a formal hall?

Started by Sariko, May 26, 2010, 02:54:48 PM

Sariko

I only cemented in that I was able to go to Fanime this year yesterday, so I didn't get a slot in the Swap Meet and I'm not big enough to be in the Dealer's room anyway. I was wondering about the rules - I make handcrafted jewelry, am I allowed to sell it informally throughout the convention, or are there rules about that? I'd be like a transient merchant, display board in hand, hawking my papercrafty wares. Please let me know!

monotone

Selling "informally", especially on the concourse, can be considered soliciting and is a big no-no. Generally hand-made items are sold in the Artist Alley, but unfortunately registration for Artist Alley has closed. Sometimes you can come to the Artist Alley and ask if anyone backed out of their reservation last minute and if you could take their slot... I don't know how much luck people have had with that in the past.
Fanime Rovers
Callsign: Zombie

Sariko

Thank you for the input. Would I be permitted to barter with my goods in the swap meet as a buyer, or is that a no-no too?

NerdyBirdAsh

Quote from: Sariko on May 28, 2010, 02:24:46 AM
Thank you for the input. Would I be permitted to barter with my goods in the swap meet as a buyer, or is that a no-no too?

It is a swap meet, so you could swap your goods for theirs but most are really looking to get rid of what they have and make some cash. You just wouldn't be able to barter in a spot?

I don't actually know, but I would imagine this to be mostly right. Eheh.
Attending FanimeCon for 15 years in 2019