I am curious about why badges cannot be mailed a head of time

Started by Beastcub, May 27, 2010, 08:07:00 PM

Beastcub

I am curious as to of why badges are not mailed out to those that pre registered? It certainly would kill a lot of the lines.

If time is the issue (I for one would hate getting them all ready to mail) then hows about having them mailed be optional and cost an extra fee?

If there is some other reason as to why they cannot be mailed, then what is it? Any issue i can think of (such as 1 person paying and taking turns using the badge with some one else) already apply to picking it up in person. Maybe it's an issue of proving age? In that case then could that not be fixed by requiring either a valid ID for any age restricted events or having a line for people to confirm age and get a mark on their badge?

If there was some way to get badges to people via mail that would be awsome since the lines suck :C

ELDEMONIO

They might get lost in the mail. They give out thousands of tags and the cost will be higher.They will also have to send the booklet and stuff. And some people may lie and say it got lost and they will give the extra one to a friend.So it causes problems since some people are not trustworthy.

Beastcub

Quote from: ELDEMONIO on May 27, 2010, 08:53:37 PM
They might get lost in the mail. They give out thousands of tags and the cost will be higher.They will also have to send the booklet and stuff. And some people may lie and say it got lost and they will give the extra one to a friend.So it causes problems since some people are not trustworthy.
a fee to have it mailed would cover extra cost and time to do so

and having a barcode on the badges would discourage the "oh it got lost in the mail" lie to get a duplicate. badges would be scanned at the door and if they claim they lost it and the barcode turns up as scanned they do not get a replacement, likewise if they look it up and the barcode was never scanned then the code on the "lost" badge gets voided.

also i just remembered; for wondercon we printed our tickets and they scanned them upon arrival...

chris-barstow

Quote from: Beastcub on May 27, 2010, 10:36:07 PM
Quote from: ELDEMONIO on May 27, 2010, 08:53:37 PM
a fee to have it mailed would cover extra cost and time to do so

and having a barcode on the badges would discourage the "oh it got lost in the mail" lie to get a duplicate. badges would be scanned at the door and if they claim they lost it and the barcode turns up as scanned they do not get a replacement, likewise if they look it up and the barcode was never scanned then the code on the "lost" badge gets voided.

also i just remembered; for wondercon we printed our tickets and they scanned them upon arrival...

Although that would be a giant bummer having to wait while the scan everyone, I mean really it seems way more easier just to pick them up I mean your coming here anyway.

ewu

We constantly try and test different ideas however that solution is not right for now. If it becomes a viable option we will go that route. The mentioned issues are strong motivating factors, but many other reasons are internal to the con and we may not be free to share.
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom