Evangelion 1.11, 2.22 and 3.3333333 etc etc... Discussion *spoilers*

Started by LordKefka, June 06, 2010, 12:03:19 AM

LordKefka

Ok so a few things I noticed about these two films:

- Rei can actually smile correctly
- Mari is pretty insane in the membrane... that's sex appeal for weirdos with that fetish *cough*...>_>;
- Shinji actually grew some balls
- Shinji and Rei both actually have pretty good and closer character relationship with each other compared with the TV series
- WTF@ Asuka replacing Toji as the test pilot for Eva Unit 03. She doesn't deserve that ;-;

I actually enjoyed these two movies more than the TV series. A lot better character traits like everyone was given "life" almost. Even Gendou turned into a semi-softy at one point.

So pretty much 3.333^pie actually is not gonna try and turn everyone into Tang and make it into Shinji x Kaworu shonen-ai desu? And I guess the next movie will be out this Summer as well. Can't wait.

Even after almost a decade since I watched Evangelion for the first time ( not to mention I watched EoE before the TV series.... ugh fail), I still have this weird attachment with the series despite the hundreds of other anime I've seen since. Maybe it's the plugsuit or the art of Asuka x Rei. Whatever it is, it worked.
FanimeCon Press, 2007-2012
FanimeCon Registration Staff, 2007
Fanime Forums Moderator
Anime Boston Press, 2010-2012
AOD Press, 2011
Otakon Press, 2012
Anime Expo Press, 2008-2012
Anime Central Press, 2008
THEManime.org, Staff
Animesou.com, Editor

TC X0 Lt 0X

Well it is a classic.

I am quite enjoying it as well. It's nice to see some more work for the series.

Just finished reading NG:E The Shinji Ikari Raising Project vol1 a minute ago =p

"Never beg. You earn. By Winning.
Or else you won't get anything..."

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

LordKefka

I got the ED theme stuck in my head now... great...

I would say it's just as good as Death and Rebirth theme, Tamashii no Rufuran,  but in a different way.
FanimeCon Press, 2007-2012
FanimeCon Registration Staff, 2007
Fanime Forums Moderator
Anime Boston Press, 2010-2012
AOD Press, 2011
Otakon Press, 2012
Anime Expo Press, 2008-2012
Anime Central Press, 2008
THEManime.org, Staff
Animesou.com, Editor

Persona

I've been liking the remake a lot more than the original series & either of the endings. They made the movies a lot more plot- and interaction-driven than psyche-driven, so there's a lot less of the "look at how dysfunctional our characters are" scenes and more action and character development actually happening over the course of the film(s). There's more growth and less stagnation of the characters, who seem to be extremely fixated on one personality defect in the original (while this may be true for many teenagers, it makes for pretty horrible entertainment, and on top of that there was no real psychological resolution). The personalities also make a lot more sense in the remake -- Rei picks up a semblance of humanity due to daily interaction with other people, and her Yui "personality" manifests through her desire for Gendo and Shinji to get along. Asuka's trauma, assuming that her mother kills herself as in the series, is significantly toned-down simply because she would have grown somewhat "out of it", and Shinji's fear of responsibility no longer translates to a fear of "everything".

Major plot and personality changes aside, I enjoy the little touches that they put into making the movies more up-to-date, such as the rampant branding of the NERV logo and slogan (along with its little animation) and the Vatican Treaty with its international scope.

JohnnyAR

I have this theory about rebuild being  a sequel to EoE. I'm to lazy to explain the whole thing so I'll just say that at some point in 2.22 and 3.0 you will see four of something.