Reason for Society's Prohibition of Intercourse in Public

Started by Jiang Jin, July 20, 2010, 11:43:46 AM

Jiang Jin

Public intercourse is considered taboo in many cultures primarily because humans have an innate feeling of vulnerability when engaged in a sexual act. When two or more people are grabbing and hugging one another during intercourse, their arms and legs are bound together and they cannot easily free their limbs for escape or self-defense if physically assaulted. Sexual arousal also distorts a person's capability to focus on other physical or mental tasks because the human brain has instinctively evolved to divert the energy of the mind and body towards completing an ejaculation when the person indulges sexual thoughts. Such a great diversion of energy would make it impossible to act decisively should anything dangerous come in contact with the people committing the sexual act and that is why these acts are performed in sheltered locations far removed from any danger. Animals that perform sexual acts publicly actually leave themselves open to attack from predators when they do this. Humans have a higher level of self awareness and will not just leave themselves open to danger to indulge a sexual urge and that is why they build shelters and weapons for self protection and also ensure that they are removed from potential dangers when indulging any pleasure, including eating.

otakuapprentice

Time And Relative Dimension In Space.

sysadmin

So, are you writing a book or something (making us unpaid editors)?

Or do you start your day thinking "I need to tell the world about my view on intercourse, by using an anime convention forum"?

Glitch

Quote from: sysadmin on July 20, 2010, 02:44:58 PM
So, are you writing a book or something (making us unpaid editors)?

Or do you start your day thinking "I need to tell the world about my view on intercourse, by using an anime convention forum"?
Judging from his other two threads, I'd say his aim is to take interesting discussions and make them sound as bland as possible.

G.I.R

Quote from: Glitch on July 20, 2010, 06:43:19 PM

Judging from his other two threads, I'd say his aim is to take interesting discussions and make them sound as bland as possible.
Copy / Paste.  Lots of vacuous reading.

sysadmin

Well, I'm going to invoke the ADMIN CHALLENGE.

Here's the deal:

Jiang Jin, please reply to this thread and substantiate your claims, or at least provide some non-trivial discussion on this subject, especially about why you're posting here.

There is a 72 hour time limit from this post.

If you fail, you will get a 90 day ban.

Enjoy.

LordKefka

Only 90 days? I dunno if generosity is needed for this...
FanimeCon Press, 2007-2012
FanimeCon Registration Staff, 2007
Fanime Forums Moderator
Anime Boston Press, 2010-2012
AOD Press, 2011
Otakon Press, 2012
Anime Expo Press, 2008-2012
Anime Central Press, 2008
THEManime.org, Staff
Animesou.com, Editor

Jiang Jin

Quote from: sysadmin on July 21, 2010, 05:33:50 PM
Well, I'm going to invoke the ADMIN CHALLENGE.

Here's the deal:

Jiang Jin, please reply to this thread and substantiate your claims, or at least provide some non-trivial discussion on this subject, especially about why you're posting here.

There is a 72 hour time limit from this post.

If you fail, you will get a 90 day ban.

Enjoy.

Now, now there is no need to get angry, this is a general discussion area and I am making this proposition out of pure curiosity about the reason why intercourse is prohibited in public. You all can post your own theories on the subject because I would like to know the people's opinions on this, and that is why I posted this here, to get insight from other persons. Thank you!

sysadmin

Who said I was angry?  Now you're just making up stuff.

That said, if your purpose was the encourage discussion, well, it turns out that you posted exactly none of those justifications in your original post.  Without that, the original post just seems really out of place on an anime convention forum.

The argument itself is pretty vacuous, filled with faulty assertions and poor links between them.

I'm moving this thread to "Serious Business".  This type of thread is not really appropriate for this sub-forum.
It's a little better over there.

Also you still have not provided any substantiation of your claims, nor have provided non-trivial discussion, so the 72 hour clock continues to run.
You have 57 to go to complete the ADMIN CHALLENGE

Jerry

not that im trying to pick on you Jiang Jin - but lets look at some of your other topics/ posts:

Posted in things in universe : Combustion versus Electricity for the Production of Light

this post seemed a little vague in my opinion, and it resulted with no replies. again i think it was posted in the wrong section, and you really didnt pose it as a question or a debatable topic... you almost made it seem like you were stating a fact and didnt really try to engage the reads [us forum people] to have a reason to respond.   FYI -> IMO  Wind Turbines, Water fall generators, and Solar Panels are probably the MOST efficient sources of "renewable" energy rather than 'burning' anything to generate power or electricity. and no "burning" of anything is required.

Posted in things in universe : Do you Believe in Supernatural Phenomena?

again this post really seemed cut and pasted from a blog or wikipedia page... to long and lengthy for most forum readers attention span and personally kinda take out any "fun" from i always thought was an intriguing concept. ~ im a kid of the 80's and i totally wanted to be a "Ghostbuster" as a kid - or even nowadays with things like Ghost Hunter's international or something like that I was have been more compelled to post... but simply put. again your post was not very engaging [didnt make me want to post, comment or reply].

Posted in things in the universe : Anime Vs. America

really? you actually tried to pose this as a question? i personally said WTF out loud. Sure rabid anime fans are crazy about their personal collections but if sh*t were to hit the fan and world was ending around them I'd really hope after the honest freak out and crapping your pants - i would like to hope that a simple majority will help fellow mankind and try to do something about it rather than hide in their fallout shelter cuddling with their favorite body pillow of their favorite anime girl... then again i could name 7 people who would probably do that...

Posted [then moved] to Serious Business :  Reason for Society's Prohibition of Intercourse in Public

Really again? this was honestly another WTF moment for me. So this one did want me to post and comment, but the subject matter and original location i think should have really been in serious business from the get go. Human kind has always been separate from the animal kingdom by our nature to set "rules" based from our communication and the society we've developed from the last few thousands of years... you dont see monkeys, tigers, unicorns or ants making rules and when, where, and how to procreate. Humans literally have sex for pleasure, and they like to have privacy. thats the simple truth. now if you want to debate if you want to change the laws and start a proposition to allow sex in public to be legal, then you need some good legal skillz and about X hundred thousand signatures from people who want an idea like this passed. then again in this economy, i dont think we wanna waste tax dollars on whether or not I wanna see Jenny on the block get around the block in public. Ew.

So next time with you want to "start a discussion" I honestly suggest that you try to engage other readers of this forums to share their opinions instead of flooding the wrong sub forum with boring info that really doesn't inspire people to post their comments, ideas or even be funny enough to say. - ha, this is a thread worth posting on...

so basically I honestly have to agree with system admin here.

I honestly think your "doing it wrong" so why not explain all of the previous posts and try to generate and actual conversation/thread worth posting on.... otherwise I think sysadmin challenge will be legit and you might actually get banned for 90 days.

and to think I miss the days of dramatastic forum chaos when a particular master-debater *cough cough PyronIkari* got himself into temporary banning fits all the time.

anyway back on topic - Jiang Jin - I dont dislike you, I just dislike your posts.  now put up or get shut out [temporary ban at stake here] but explaining yourself and why your supposedly "discussion topics" are full of fail.
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jerry.pang

Games, Friends & Fanime oh my! :D

G.I.R

Copy / Paste Jerry, and no more of those super-long openings of your topics.  This is what the term TLDR was made for.

Jerry

Quote from: G.I.R on July 22, 2010, 10:51:56 AM
Copy / Paste Jerry, and no more of those super-long openings of your topics.  This is what the term TLDR was made for.

i know right? I almost didnt want to read/type my own post because i was getting fed up with how long my own post was...

if i wanted to write an entry this long and lame i would have written a Twilight Fanfic.

[No offense to real Fan Fic writers out there ] im just saying :P

G.I.R

Jiang Jin

Quote from: sysadmin on July 22, 2010, 08:28:28 AM
Who said I was angry?  Now you're just making up stuff.

That said, if your purpose was the encourage discussion, well, it turns out that you posted exactly none of those justifications in your original post.  Without that, the original post just seems really out of place on an anime convention forum.

The argument itself is pretty vacuous, filled with faulty assertions and poor links between them.

I'm moving this thread to "Serious Business".  This type of thread is not really appropriate for this sub-forum.
It's a little better over there.

Also you still have not provided any substantiation of your claims, nor have provided non-trivial discussion, so the 72 hour clock continues to run.
You have 57 to go to complete the ADMIN CHALLENGE

I think the reason is perfectly logical: people's hands are full and they are preoccupied when having sex so it would be quite dangerous for them to be having sex in public because they would have difficulty fighting back if they are assaulted and that is why sex is conducted in the safety of an enclosed shelter. Also, the increased production of the hormone, oxytocin when people have sex leaves them physically lethargic and unable to fight or run should they encounter dangers. It is quite simple really and does not need any complex analysis to figure out my explanation.

Jerry

Your argument is still lacking --- believe or not, a small percentage of people probably and will continue to have intimate encounters in public places. I doubt humans ever worry about "dangers" from outside predators.  I mean seriously, this thread along with the others are just not very thought evoking.

QuoteAlso, people lose hormones when they have sex and that leaves them physically lethargic and unable to fight or run should they encounter dangers.
^ this statement makes no sense. I really dont know what your trying to "prove" or discuss here.

So what EXACTLY are you trying to discuss here?   Are you trying to state the obvious and "explain" why people dont do naughty things in public?  Stating the obvious doesnt evoke a "discussion."

Are you FOR or AGAINST public intercourse? You make posts trying to "argue" a side, but its seems like you dont care about the content and have long vague posts that cause us to ignore because DRTL [too long didnt read]

I think thats the point of sysadmin and I are trying to get at.

I'm honestly asking you - Jiang Jin - what is the point of these posts? Not to mention the content and subjects you've brought become some interesting topics turned boring because of your "inability" to engage in a proper discussion.

I'm starting to "lose hormones" here because of your post.  Oh noes, now I am a innocent target for a wandering predator that will attack and eat me for engaging in a lack luster discussion.

If anything, your inability to explain why your posting the way you are is creating more of a discussion than your posted topics you've brought up. thats irony for you.

I dunno why i bother posting in a thread with SO MUCH FAIL.  LOL  I guess I'm really that bored on a Friday morning. now that I'm done with my rant. This is an image of what i think your posts are like:

Somebody

Isn't it about 32 hours left now? *is shot* xP
(OMG THE CEREAL IS ON FIRE! xD )
Cosplay 2013
Friday night: RWBY (incomplete)
Saturday morning: Arrietty
Sunday afternoon: Ruby w/ Adam (RWBY, no scythe)
Monday: Arrietty

Jiang Jin

Jiang Jin

Quote from: sysadmin on July 23, 2010, 11:32:28 PM
Quote from: Jiang Jin on July 23, 2010, 11:24:37 PM
drop substantially.  

[citation needed]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refractory_period_%28sex%29

This is the reason why people cannot immediately experience another orgasm until a certain amount of time: the hormone oxytocin is released to relax the body and give the sperm and egg wasted in the intercourse time to be replenished. And furthermore, for the people here who have experienced this phenomenon, do they ever wonder why they feel exhausted after having the orgasm? It is because of the increased production of the hormone, oxytocin when people have sex which leaves them physically lethargic. That is why the person falls into a state of relaxation following the orgasm. And this is the reason why people usually have sex at night, so that they can rest after the intercourse. Although for some people, it is possible to have a fast refractory period and do multiple orgasms.

PyronIkari

Quote from: Jiang Jin on July 24, 2010, 02:34:24 AM
Quote from: sysadmin on July 23, 2010, 11:32:28 PM
Quote from: Jiang Jin on July 23, 2010, 11:24:37 PM
drop substantially.  

[citation needed]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refractory_period_%28sex%29

This is the reason why people cannot immediately experience another orgasm until a certain amount of time: the hormones, sperm and egg need replacement. And furthermore, for the people here who have experienced this phenomenon, do they ever wonder why the feel exhausted after having the orgasm? It is because of the loss of hormones. That is why the person falls into a state of relaxation following the orgasm. And this is the reason why people usually have sex at night, so that they can rest after the intercourse.

LOLOLOL You are such a virgin.

FUNNY THING, JERRY OF ALL PEOPLE, TELLING SOMEONE ELSE THEY'RE DOING IT WRONG? Anyone else see the hilarious irony in that?

Okay, on to the topic. (Who wants to bet that this was moved here because sysadmin wanted me to reply to it?)

The reason why society prohibits sexual intercourse in public is generally pretty damned cut and dry/logical. It has jack nothing to do with what this idiot says(like most of his posts and threads he starts). It's because of human decency and standards laws. There's lines of ethics and reason, sex is considered an act that is both intimate and gratuitous at the same time. If you add in religious standings, and basis, it's also considered sacred.

You kinda jumped the gun on this one, instead of sex, you should have talked about just walking around naked. That would have actually been a better discussion, but it's not like I can expect anything decent out of the majority of this forum anyway.

Obviously, English is not your first language. A lot of what you said is loss because you don't know what any of the words you use actually mean.

I think the reason is perfectly logical: people's hands are full and they are preoccupied when having sex so it would be quite dangerous for them to be having sex in public because they would have difficulty fighting back if they are assaulted and that is why sex is conducted in the safety of an enclosed shelter. Also, people lose hormones when they have sex and that leaves them physically lethargic and unable to fight or run should they encounter dangers. It is quite simple really and does not need any complex analysis to figure out my explanation.
You don't lose hormones... what happens is that hormones ARE RELEASED INTO YOUR BODY AND BRAIN. When you orgasm, endorphines are released into your body which gives you that feelings of blissful emptiness after you orgasm usually. However, your reasoning doesn't even make sense. If it did... alcohol would be banned. So would smoking, so would... tylenol and most over the counter drugs as well. Any kind of relaxant for that matter. Forget about going to a masseuse as well...

QuoteIt does, people lose hormones when they have an orgasm and the semen that facilitates the transfer of sperm cells into the ovary carries hormones with it so when the intercourse is finished, the hormones released in the process are wasted. The human body also uses hormones to provide energy for physical and mental activity and having intercourse will waste some of those hormones causing the available energy supply in the body to drop substantially.  

And to answer your question, I am neutral to the prohibition of public intercourse. I only made this article to explain a possible reason as to why people consider it taboo but this may not be the only reason for this. That is why I encourage the people here to post their own theories.
Uh, you act as if hormones are limited in supply. Your body naturally produces them you realize right? Besides the fact that the "hormones you lose" are extremely minimal in comparison.

The line about "available energy supply", is also completely false.

What would the fucking point be of allowing it anyways? It's not like it really accomplishes anything in the long run, and less that .1% of the populace would actually ever do it.

This is the reason why people cannot immediately experience another orgasm until a certain amount of time: the hormones, sperm and egg need replacement. And furthermore, for the people here who have experienced this phenomenon, do they ever wonder why the feel exhausted after having the orgasm? It is because of the loss of hormones. That is why the person falls into a state of relaxation following the orgasm. And this is the reason why people usually have sex at night, so that they can rest after the intercourse.
Uh... again, LOLOLOL You're a virgin. A certain amount of time? Hormones... sperm... egg need replacement? Wait... Egg? Huh? You, wait... what?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? Sex has nothing to do with "the egg" at all.

Do I need to explain what a "period" is to you and explain how the female body cycles through it? Here's a better idea, ask your mom why her vagina bled for 4 or so days every month for the good majority of her life. How old are you? If you don't know how the period works... you really shouldn't be talking about sex. I HOPE you're like... 6 or something, that would be the only explanation for all this.

ANYWAYS TO CONTINUE....

Your average male can ejaculate 4 times with ease in a 24 hour span. 6 is more on base with "capabilities" and reaching limits. Your body stores quite a bit of semen in it at any given time so getting off once isn't going to run you dry, besides the fact that, it has nothing to do with why you feel lethargic after sex.

You feel exhausted because of the act generally, you feel LETHARGIC because of hormones being released into your body, which I already talked about.

Why are you even talking about sex, you have no clue about it, you're clearly a virgin, and even more so an idiot. Please stop trying to create discussions on things you don't know about.