Santa Clara anime fans?

Started by ArJay, August 03, 2010, 01:18:41 AM

ArJay

Okay, I totally missed Fanime this year. As I just moved to California. I'd of loved to of went, but finances and all. Anyway, I know San Jose and Santa Clara aren't far apart. I'm wondering anyone lives nearby? I could use some friends to hang out with. Ones preferably into things I like [this is why I didn't just go to a random place and talk to the first person to make eye contact] I'm kind of shy and all that. I'd like to learn now before next year all there is to know about Fanime, and maybe other local state conventions.

Which speak of! There's one that's trying to get put together by next year for Santa Clara. I'm part of staff and we'd really like the help of those who have attended Fanime's in the past to maybe get some ideas going. I hope none of this is weird or out of line, but I could really use to have new friends.. without all the awkward. We don't have to meet right away, as i'd be find exchanging messenger names.. I just gotta get out of this house, and so i thought something could be set up so i could either see San Jose, where Fanime is, or other things of the town. I've become a hermit! D=

NerdyBirdAsh

Oh noes! Don't hermit!

I'm gonna be a hermit soon...after finals I have to get down to the assignment given to me for the same con start up you speak of!

Welcome to the area, by the by.

:'D

Attending FanimeCon for 15 years in 2019

ArJay

=O

I'm being stalked? Ahaha! I just thought coming here and mentioning it since they're both local cons would be a good start. I...think i'm part of that con's PR? Pretty sure. I just could really use some more friends around here, but having to wait for the con next year just to get that is a bit much.. so anything in the down time would be great. Thanks a bunch though! I'm trying to get better acquainted to the town, but without money or a job. It's tough.

NerdyBirdAsh

I'm like....promotions? I'm co-leading to form the cosplay pro league thing. Which is what I'll be hermiting over after finals this week.

:'D

I SEE YOU ADDED ME ON FACEBOOK.
Good choice, you can always reach me there, I'm on all the frickin' time. :3
Attending FanimeCon for 15 years in 2019

Jerry

First of all welcome to the boards ArJay.

I'm Jerry. some people called me Russell because I cosplayed him this year at Fanime, some say it was epic. :D

Activity on the boards right now is slim pickings at the moment, so you'll run into the regular posters such as Ash-chan, Somebody, Glitch, G.I.R and a few others i cant remember off the top of my head.

Your in luck though - I'm sorta the social fanboy of these forums, and more than happy to show around the forums in a virtual sense or better yet - make up random reasons to have a gathering meet and greet new friends in real life.

In fact, theres several gatherings depending where, when, and who your planning to know.

we social network - via here on the boards, facebook, aim, e-mail, private messages so take your pick.

That and I'm a local [ I live in san jose ] and familiar with all sorts of random places that i could reccomend to ya for social activites and stuff and try to help keep you on budget.

For example- This weekend there is a Mini Con in Hayward. its called KinYoobi Con:
http://www.gzronline.com/convention.htm

I'm going with some friends on Saturday and i still have room in my car if you would like to car pool

After that there is a friends birthday party where a very good size group of nerds, anime fans and people with possible similar interest will be all there.

Next weekend - I'm going to the infamous "Fenton's Ice cream" shop to jokingly emulate the ending scene from the Disney/Pixar   UP  movie.

Every Month - a local Anime Group [ no name anime ] has montly anime showings at the Santa Clara library.
its totally free and you get a chance to meet and make new friends or just silently nerd out watching anime at your local library :
http://www.nnanime.com/ 
their next meeting is also next Saturday August 14th 2010.

Feel free to ask us regular posters anything and everyone.

Oh and i almost forgot to mention, I'm also part of the Rovers Fanime staff, so feel free to ask me anything and if I dont know the answers I can easily get back to you with hopefully the right answer. :)

again welcome to the boards and i better shut up now. :D

Adventure is out there!
you just gotta know where to find it and the right ppl to be your guide.
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jerry.pang

Games, Friends & Fanime oh my! :D

ArJay

Thank you thank you thank you!
I was so worried/scared that I'd become a shut in once I came out here.. and i didn't want that.
Then again, even back in Ohio.. I lacked having a lot of friends.
I'm kind of shy like that.
I like the thought of getting to know people, but the process of getting to know them and the extent of it kind of scares me off.
I'm trying to get over it, but it's tough when I'm not used to really opening up like that.
Kind of takes a lot to get me out of my shell sadly.
A lot of the friends I used to have were into anime and the like, but generally only wanted to be around to talk and hang out if i had something they wanted or if it was one of those things when they had nothing better to do. So it really [in the long run] ruined my perception for a lot of people. It's not that I meant it to, but that's just how it happens sadly ><;

I'm not far from the library in Santa Clara! ...but this...all goes back to the "Oh i'm overly shy and not outward" sort of thing. So... oh man ><; I'm running in circles aren't I? -huff-

I'm more the type of i'd rather have someone approach me and take up conversation in hopefully an interest we both share than I having to do the work.. guess i'm a little lazy too huh? ;-;

A mini-con you say? Does it cost? I mean, i'd love to come along but we gotta go back to the whole: "I has no munnies" thing. Oddly enough, one of my outfits i packed along for my trip was a cosplay.. but i'm missing a few key essentials to wear it. I just wouldn't want to say: "A CON?! OH AWESOME! YEAH I'M IN!" but then not have... anything to contribute.

I have all the messengers and networking sites. I have them added here under the icon [I think, lol]
I'm open to anyone sending me messages, I could just use more genuine friends =D

HarpB

You could join the Geek Meetup group http://www.meetup.com/The-Geek-Club-South-Bay/
We have different kind of gatherings each month and you can come to any you are interested in. Today we are going to the golfland, but it will cost you munnies to play there.

monikamilani

yoooo, I'm Monika! Nice to see another new forum family member :D I live in Santa Clara, so... hi :D New person near/in town! Have fun on forums too :D
Just that weird, surprising, and awkward kid that's always there.
In the corner.
Watching your every move.
Secretly stalking you and watching you sleep. ;)
Fanime/Japan Expo Cosplays 2013~
-Cooking Mama
-Fem. Sasori
...pffft who the hell cares iunno kbye~

ArJay

Ohh you live in the area? I'm currently residing here until I find work. Then who knows which city i'll pick from, I'd like it to be here still [the town seems quaint/small. I like that] A lot about the area reminds me of my former city, so it's good to see I can maybe adapt better from it. It's really nice to see fans being so helpful to a new comer in the area. Means a lot to me!

monikamilani

I like how it's quaint too, at least more than other places XD Just make sure you enjoythe places to go, because I haven't done one thing but camp all year =P ANd trust me, all the people I know in the Bay area are welcoming and friendly so don't shell please :) And you lived in Ohio? That's really far from Fanime, but living in Ohio must be pretty cool!
Just that weird, surprising, and awkward kid that's always there.
In the corner.
Watching your every move.
Secretly stalking you and watching you sleep. ;)
Fanime/Japan Expo Cosplays 2013~
-Cooking Mama
-Fem. Sasori
...pffft who the hell cares iunno kbye~

Jerry

since your still getting to know the Santa Clara area - try using www.yelp.com

its a really awesome site that can help you find almost anything worth checking out in your area, especially restaurants, shops, events, and local places that you may have not realized you were there to begin with.

it can account for walking distance, budget and who well others rate the location.

i know your still without funds, but at least look up a park, hang out, get inspiration, doodle/sketch while your there and maybe randomly make a new friend if they notice how artsy you are.

you can make friends. you can do it! :D

noticetoappear

Hey ArJay, sorry you couldn't make it to the con this year. I always feel a little left out when I miss something that only comes once a year. I live in San Francisco, but my anime club meets once per week in San Bruno, for something we call Anime Night Fridays. San Bruno is about 35-40 minutes away from Santa Clara, Its completely free, and theres always anime showing, so theres no awkward silences! A few people from the forums show up, and some are friends. Heres a youtube video of us:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cdvdjhc-vYk

ced1106

Yep. No excuses to miss out on No Name. Friendly bunch, although you'll have to take the initiative for small talk. I run a Munchkin or other Steve Jackson Games game during the break.

Thanks for the Meetup link!
Los Altos Gamesday, Monthly, Saturdays, 10am-11pm
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/gamesday/

Available Sundays for Fantasy Flight Games tabletop gaming in the Santa Clara area.

ArJay

Well, a lot of these ideas sound splendid.
Alas.. i don't drive. Or have money for bussing ;-;

azreale

Hi thete! Welcome to ca!!!! Im a shy awkward person too>,<   I live in between san jose & santa clara and have been a fanimw goer for years! Usually a loner though>,< went as Gardevoir this year... Haha yeah..

Well anyway feel free to message me or whatever at amytime!!! Trust me i know how ya feel... Havong friends that dont like what you do sucks! My face book is called azreale props! Im looking for froends too basically... First year moving out & going into college ya know... Haha ^^'
Fanime '14:::

Sango (Inuyasha)
Vivaldi (HnKnA)
Tsubaki (Future Diary)
003 (Cyborg 009)
Chaika (Hitsugi no chaika)
Goth Annie (League of Legends)
Ashura (Tsubasa)
Catwoman (maybe)

ArJay

Waiiit, is it in one or the other? People tell me that all the time about San Jose/Santa Clara and i know the two are close...but it always confuses me. D=

I didn't come out here for college, i came out here in hopes for a job. -still looking-

Good to find someone who lives closer to me though! =D

azreale

Well san jose is in santa clara county so basically in santa clara ^~
but right now i live between san jose & santa cruz. But in a few weeks ill b in scotts valley fulltime

I figured u werent in college. Just meant the similarities in starting somewhere new with little to no friends haha
Fanime '14:::

Sango (Inuyasha)
Vivaldi (HnKnA)
Tsubaki (Future Diary)
003 (Cyborg 009)
Chaika (Hitsugi no chaika)
Goth Annie (League of Legends)
Ashura (Tsubasa)
Catwoman (maybe)

Jerry

theres santa clara county - think of it as a region or collection of cities.

santa clara is ALSO a city
san jose is a LARGE city that is sometimes associated with several surrounding cities [including santa clara

and geographically [map] speaking ...  santa clara city is northwest [next to ] san jose city.
both cities are a PART OF the "Santa Clara County" again the county being the collection of cities and surrounding areas.

i hope that clear things up.

i hope you find new friends within walking distance.

and you still have 294 ish days til Fanime.

plenty of time to make new friends [and alienate them] :P

r3za1264

i doo! if you know where great america is :] then im like 2 minutes away from there

EdOfNoName

Quote from: ArJay on August 03, 2010, 05:52:52 PM
I'm not far from the library in Santa Clara! ...but this...all goes back to the "Oh i'm overly shy and not outward" sort of thing. So... oh man ><; I'm running in circles aren't I? -huff-

I hope you'll join us at No-Name Anime.  Some of us like the steps of

1) hang out together and watch anime
2) chat and socialize
3) maybe make friends

in this order instead of trying to make friends as step 1. We're also cool with people who just want to watch anime and not ever socialize.