Music and the future

Started by Glitch, August 05, 2010, 10:22:26 PM

Glitch

The way artists work has come a long way since companies first started selling records. The advancement of technology has really changed things. You no longer have to spend a lot of money just to know what your band sounds like recorded. My little hundred dollar music instrument interface for my computer replaces most complete studios from the past.
And the internet makes it extremely easy to distribute your music to people with mp3 files. I think we are very rapidly inching away from the idea that you have pray that a company executive "discovers" you or your band.

A music instructor at my college told me once that pretty soon we will bypass music companies all together and be able to build a career by directly sending the music to fans. This obviously got me really excited because it means a future where artists will have immense control over what they make without worrying whether they're music was recorded on a low budget that will make their songs sound like crap,or worry about changing how they sound.
Any thoughts and feelings about what the future holds for music? In addition to this, thoughts on genres and such in the future too.
And please try not to stray off topic.(*evil glare at Jerry*)

PyronIkari

Quote from: Glitch on August 05, 2010, 10:22:26 PM
The way artists work has come a long way since companies first started selling records. The advancement of technology has really changed things. You no longer have to spend a lot of money just to know what your band sounds like recorded. My little hundred dollar music instrument interface for my computer replaces most complete studios from the past.
And the internet makes it extremely easy to distribute your music to people with mp3 files. I think we are very rapidly inching away from the idea that you have pray that a company executive "discovers" you or your band.

A music instructor at my college told me once that pretty soon we will bypass music companies all together and be able to build a career by directly sending the music to fans. This obviously got me really excited because it means a future where artists will have immense control over what they make without worrying whether they're music was recorded on a low budget that will make their songs sound like crap,or worry about changing how they sound.
Any thoughts and feelings about what the future holds for music? In addition to this, thoughts on genres and such in the future too.

HOLY SHIT, A LEGITIMATE TOPIC IN THIS FORUM?

As much as we'd like to say the above is true, it won't be. The capability of it is definitely true already, but will it happen that way? Chances are no. Unfortunately, the world is still full of idiots that can't think on their own and make choices without the mass media telling them what to like. So despite indie artists existing, and their capabilities to grow existing, they still won't really get out there until someone recognizes them, they are put into a big name label, and they are played on the radio.

So this will affect the smaller scale, in people that actually care, but the mass will still be the same and that's not going to change. The truth is out there, when musicians like Lil Wayne exist who have 0 musical talent realistically, lyrics that sound like a drunk 12yo wrote them, and a beat that can be made by anyone that isn't deaf are top selling artists that has millions of fans. While amazing singers and writers like Marie Digsby are relatively unknown despite being "internet famous" and touring small venues and clubs.

Can we live in that world? Yes. Does the general public want that? Of course not, they need someone to tell them what to like.

Glitch

Quote from: PyronIkari on August 06, 2010, 02:33:21 AM
Quote from: Glitch on August 05, 2010, 10:22:26 PM

HOLY SHIT, A LEGITIMATE TOPIC IN THIS FORUM?

As much as we'd like to say the above is true, it won't be. The capability of it is definitely true already, but will it happen that way? Chances are no. Unfortunately, the world is still full of idiots that can't think on their own and make choices without the mass media telling them what to like. So despite indie artists existing, and their capabilities to grow existing, they still won't really get out there until someone recognizes them, they are put into a big name label, and they are played on the radio.

So this will affect the smaller scale, in people that actually care, but the mass will still be the same and that's not going to change. The truth is out there, when musicians like Lil Wayne exist who have 0 musical talent realistically, lyrics that sound like a drunk 12yo wrote them, and a beat that can be made by anyone that isn't deaf are top selling artists that has millions of fans. While amazing singers and writers like Marie Digsby are relatively unknown despite being "internet famous" and touring small venues and clubs.

Can we live in that world? Yes. Does the general public want that? Of course not, they need someone to tell them what to like.

While I could hardly disagree that idiots make up huge portions of sales(just turn on the radio XD), I would have to say you have to give the average Joe and Joettes a little more credit. Yes, they soak up everything the media presents to them like mindless drones but some are open to music that wasn't necessarily thrown at them. I've met several people who's favorite musicians reads like a top forty list, but on rare occasion I've heard them say they like a band that isn't all that popular.

This won't mean the end of crappy music(not as long as big companies and hacks who can be their puppets exist) but it does mean the greater increase of the chances of a musician receiving their fair due. I'm not saying it'll be a great music utopia, just that hard work instead of pure luck will determine their fate.

I think we'll see musicians like small companies that slowly grow. These possibilities may not happen right away but I bet eventually it'll be this way.