increasing number of creepers at fanime?

Started by udonoodle, August 27, 2010, 09:20:48 PM

udonoodle

:'(
i decided to post this...after much angst
i started attending fanime 3 years ago (before that i went to smaller conventions)
is this rising number of perverted older men due to the fact that i'm getting older...or because there is a growing population of fanime-creepers?

i think there should be a "creeper protection squad" or something that walks around and taps guys on the shoulder that are getting...frisky?
JKJKJK i'm joking but...

is this just me?
p.s
i know that i could "report" people...but that would just seem like a cruel and unusual punishment

Nina Star 9

Well, the con is getting bigger, so the number of creepers wil increase. I don't know if the proportion of creepers is increasing (relative to previous years), but there really isn't a way to know that.

I actually haven't had too many creeper experiences in all my years at Fanime, and only one stands out (which happens to be from this past con). I don't know if it's that I'm choosing more revealing cosplays or that I'm geting older and wiser to it (not so naive and innocent anymore!), but the one from this past year is the only creeper story that I can remember. I can safely say that even dressed as Ulala (Space Channel 5), which is pretty well known as a sexy costume/character, that I didn't have any creepy experiences, so who knows.

Mango Bunny

I actually don't think I had any weird advances this last year, unlike EVERY OTHER YEAR. Guys trying to take my picture when I wasn't in cosplay (Oh, to be 16), which was weird, being propositioned by a group of 5 or so scary looking guys when I was trying to get to my hotel room (I looped around somewhere else and ran), and some dude grabbing my bottom (also when I was 16!) to name some of them.... But this last year? Nothing. Not that I was deterred from going to fanime after past years. I HATED all those experiences, but at the same time I get there are always weirdos, and sometimes you just run into more of them. I run into some of these things irl too. Today I got hollered at from a go-kart on the street. Like, what IS that?  Part of the problem was I was walking alone a couple of those times so I guess I looked vulnerable.

EDIT: I feel like I shed a bad light on fanime, but really it's not all like that. I love fanime to death and have met so many more awesome people than creepy people.

Kertus

Those durn wiminz in their dirty heathenous cos-plays are asking for it if yall care to ask me, with their short skirts and skin showing, lord have mercy!

Ha but in all seriousness, everywhere you go in life there's gonna be creepers, rovers are on patrol anyway, I don't see what more could be done besides getting more rovers, which is just a matter of the volunteering, ahem.

Also don't be shy to report someone, get their name from their tag :P
Mario '06. Sven '08. Jared '09. Gai '10. Cobra '11. Kenji '12. Spike '13.
irc.rizon.net #fanime Click here to connect to IRC

Jerry

p.s
i know that i could "report" people...but that would just seem like a cruel and unusual punishment

no, its neither cruel or unusual.
if you really feel that bothered, thats why fanime staff and rovers are around. We want everyone to enjoy themselves and if anyone  causes you to feel uncomfortable. we're here to help--- seriously.

and dont that uniformed SJPD officers are around too.

In other words, we just want everyone to enjoy themselves... not feel creeped out.
Tell someone if your being harassed, and we'll do what we can to make sure your con experience is as fun as everyone says as most ppl say on the internets :D
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jerry.pang

Games, Friends & Fanime oh my! :D

PyronIkari

Ironic thing is how many of the forum members are actually creepers XD

I haven't been to a con where at least one of my female friends aren't stalked or harassed. But as was said, when more attendees appear, more creepers appear. The ratio is relatively the same, but yeah.

Let's go through the list of things, I had 3 maids almost stalked this year, I dealt with those. I had someone trying to get upskirts of girls walking along side of the concourse or entering/exiting through the glass walkways along the concourse from the floor below. Had a guy trying to get upskirts of maids at west end of the concourse from the floor below. Not at the con, but had a forum member kiss my g/f on the cheek when he said bye to her during a staff meeting,(no they're not really friends, and it was really creepy) in front of me no less. Had press stalk one of my maids during Spirit of Japan town.

And to be honest, this wasn't that bad comparatively to what's happened at other conventions before.

These issues aren't small issues, and you should not allow them to happen, so don't allow them to happen. If you are a victim of stuff like this, make sure you report it, or have it dealt with in an organized matter. Guys like this make it really uncomfortable not just for you, but lots of other girls as well. Think of it this way, (extreme cases) some guy is harassing you like that, and you don't report him, who's to say he doesn't do it to another girl, who doesn't know how to defend herself or get away/prevent things from happening? She could pontetially get pictures of her taken, or even raped(yes there are cases of this happening before, incredibly few and none at a convention in California... well... there are but not in the same context but that's a huge mess of a law argument and what not so let's not get into that).

Just don't let people get away with it... and this goes for GUYS AND GIRLS. I've had plenty of girls stalking guys and trying to get lewd photos of them and what not. In fact, there's a story of a girl that would crossplay as male characters JUST SO SHE COULD FOLLOW GUYS INTO THE BATHROOM to try and get photos of them. Again won't talk about where this story is from, it's not from California or anything, but yeah, these things can happen.

Jerry

Quote from: PyronIkari on August 30, 2010, 04:00:56 PM
Not at the con, but had a forum member kiss my g/f on the cheek when he said bye to her during a staff meeting,(no they're not really friends, and it was really creepy) in front of me no less.

yah, I'm still getting used to people giving "goodbye" kisses on the cheek to my gf too.
Cultural thing my butt... what a bogus excuse.

but in agreement with Pyron, if you dont want creepy situations to happen, call these people out [politely if possible] or ask Fanime Staff will give 'friendly' reminders that only so much socializing/ contact or behavior will be tolerated.

That, and I gotta request more intimidating guys over at Maid Cafe.

Nina Star 9

I agree with Pyron -- report anything that makes you uncomfortable!

I didn't report my experience, but it was really pretty mild (a middle-agedish man grabbed me by the arm or shoulder [I forget which now] away from my friends and told me that he really enjoyed taking my picture earlier in kind of a creepy tone that implied sexual pleasure -- keeping in mind that I easily look underage in the costume I was wearing), but if he would have approached me again or done anything worse than what could have just been a misunderstanding/poor social skills/he doesn't have the same ideas about personal space that I do, it was just... mildly creepy. If anything worse happens (stalkers, attempted upskirt photos, harassment, etc.), then I'd try to get his name or badge number (or at the least a really good description), provided that I wasn't too shocked to do anything (which I was with this really mild case, so who knows!) and find the nearest Rover.

Things will probably only get worse if true creepers think that they can get away with harassing people, and things will get worse if you have someone harassing you and you just let it go. And try to not be like me and think that you are just being too sensitive or you are too shocked that someone would violate your personal space/say something like that (I'm shy, okay? :<) and report them anyway!

Also, always wear shorts under skirts. Always. I'm pretty sure that I prevented some upskirts from being taken (and know for sure that I prevented the whole con from seeing up my skirt because of the wind!) this year because I wore shorts. Even if you aren't cosplaying, don't take your chances with people trying to get a shot of your panties. It's not the worst that could happen at a con, but it's super easy to prevent.

Dany

Quote from: Nina Star 9 on August 30, 2010, 10:40:08 PM
Also, always wear shorts under skirts. Always. I'm pretty sure that I prevented some upskirts from being taken (and know for sure that I prevented the whole con from seeing up my skirt because of the wind!) this year because I wore shorts. Even if you aren't cosplaying, don't take your chances with people trying to get a shot of your panties. It's not the worst that could happen at a con, but it's super easy to prevent.

Agreed. In fact, I was considering the idea of getting some that had a camera with a big red NO sign on it (the circle with the line through it) on the backside, just in case someone actually had the audacity to try.

...but then I realized that someone would try to upskirt me just to get a photo of that, and I changed my mind :\
2012 Costumes (or so we hope!)
Ayukawa, Miime, Oscar, Yuria, D'Eon

Mango Bunny

Quote from: Dany on August 31, 2010, 12:43:57 PM
Quote from: Nina Star 9 on August 30, 2010, 10:40:08 PM

Agreed. In fact, I was considering the idea of getting some that had a camera with a big red NO sign on it (the circle with the line through it) on the backside, just in case someone actually had the audacity to try.

...but then I realized that someone would try to upskirt me just to get a photo of that, and I changed my mind :\

Dude, I have to admit, I would want a picture of those panties. They would be frickin' hilarious.

Anyway!

I tend to doubt myself, like, I always feel like I'm blowing it out of proportion. Like "Maybe that guy who just touched my butt did it on accident. If I did anything that would be embarrassing for everyone!"

or like "Maybe those guys were just being stupid and it wasn't that creepy and I'm a total drama queen!"

It might come from being around girls who constantly would say things for attention..... Like I had a good friend who was accused of trying to feel up this girl, when he was stupid-nice. He wouldn't do that, I can't even fathom it. Especially back then. He was kind of nerdy so.... you know. Anyway this girl told EVERYONE. And sometimes I think "Why do you want to pretend that everyone is so into you. You're pretty, but be humble." when I see girls like that who sit there talking about every guy that was checking them out. And I feel like, well, I'm blowing things out of proportion. Although, I have to say, there are a few instances that were just plain creepy. But then I'm shy so I didn't do anything anyway, nor would I know what to do entirely. But yeah, I feel like I get paranoid about it sometimes maybe, as I've been subject to many cat calls in my life (from when I was like, 11. Girls, you know.) and more so I get bad attention because I'm top-heavy. It's not my fault I look the way I do! So I get really mad and upset about it. It's just hard to tell sometimes when you're right about this sort of thing or not.

That was poorly written, but hopefully someone can make some sense out of it....

Dany

Quote from: Mango Bunny on September 01, 2010, 10:15:14 PM
Quote from: Dany on August 31, 2010, 12:43:57 PM

Dude, I have to admit, I would want a picture of those panties. They would be frickin' hilarious.

I would be happy to photograph them if they come to be, but not while I'm wearing them XD  I'm thinking they'd be more like dance shorts though..short but not panty-short so that creepers wouldn't get as good a view as they could get.  Either they'd have one big picture on the front and back, or maybe it could be a pattern. I could have sworn there was a site I found that had the capability to make a print of fabric based on one repeating pattern.  I should go refind it!

TC X0 Lt 0X

From what I've seen there seemed to be less Creepers this year then my last few years. Though I am generalizing to all creepers, not just girl stalking creepers. And as a guy I don't notice those kind of Creepers VERY much, though you can tell who they are when you see them.
Though I might just be imagining sense there where extremely few Narutard Cosplayers creeping around compared to last year, in which about half of those people are creepers in my eyes all ready. Perhaps, perhaps...

"Never beg. You earn. By Winning.
Or else you won't get anything..."

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

LadyGlitterbow

I have personally felt pretty safe at Fanime. No creepers have creeped my way, luckily. But then again, I have not cosplayed much. This year I went as Misty, and the only "creeper" was this guy dressed as Ash who on more than four occasions came up to me and took pictures with me. How many pictures of me does he need!  ??? But it wasn't a big deal, it was only a minor thing. Then there are all the people who run up and scream "MISTY!!" But to my luck this con was glomp-free. I HATE GLOMPS. That right there is creepy.

Neo-Zaku

Myself, I tend to hyper vigilant about my own behavior at Con particularly when taking pictures. I always make sure I have permission and I try whenever possible to make sure the person sees the picture I took before I leave. This ensures a better picture (had a couple times where they asked if they could repose cause they noticed something off) and peace of mind for all that the pictures are kosher.

General tips I would give from my personal experience and knowledge.

If it doesn't look/feel right, get out of the situation and report it. Even if it seems like nothing it could be part of a larger pattern.

Travel with a buddy. It sounds childish but it's never a bad idea to have a friend along, its more fun and definitely safer.

Practice your poses in a mirror before con and have a trusted friend/relative watch from behind. Better to find out before con that certain poses end up revealing more then you intended.

Keep hydrated. This helps you keep awake and alert. And on the alertness note, get a proper amount of sleep. Sleep deprivation can have a similar effect on judgment and cognitive ability as alcohol if bad enough and we know what kinds of stupid things people do when drunk.

If you drink, have a non drinking buddy tagging along and keep your intake to reasonable levels. That way you don't fall prey to a creeper/become one yourself.

This topic comes up every year and its good we keep our awareness that this is an issue. Nice guys/girls out there, keep your eyes peeled for the creepers so they can't make the rest of us look bad.
There is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack is to be able to throw yourself at the ground...

...and miss!

Proud Member of TGC!

Jerry

Now with that said: please see the article or link below:
http://www.mancouch.com/709195353/are-you-a-creeper/

Are you a creeper?

I sometimes wonder how people can end up so socially awkward. It's especially bad for males because it dampens their chick-getting-abilities.

Once you've been dubbed a creeper by one woman, all her friends will dub you a creeper. They'll spread the word, and you'll be shunned from your neighborhood! People won't make eye contact with you anymore. Parents cover their children's eyes in front of you and walk around your path as if you weren't just a creeper, but a pedophile too

A whole chain of events happen when you're a creeper. I don't want these things to happen to the Mancouch readers so I took action and compiled a list!

How do you know you're a creeper?  Well, you know you're a creeper when...

1. You Follow Girls

You find yourself following a pack of attractive females at the club(mall, beach, other area where girls congregate in large groups) around. They're pretty, yes, but don't follow them. Following them will make you look like a desperate stalker, and will blow any chance you might have had with all of them.

2. You Stare at Girls

You can't help but stare now at the same pack of girls. Even if you're not following them around, observing them from a distance is weird too. It's ok to glance every now and then, but straight up staring is odd. Just because people are pretty doesn't give you the right to stare (same goes for ugly people!)

3. You Invade Personal Space

You find that you've mustered courage enough to approach the females you've had your eye on, remember to stay out of their personal space. No one likes their personal space to be invaded. You might have friendly intentions, but you're not cramped in an elevator. Take a step back!

4. You Touch Girls You Just Met

You're talking to someone, and not stepping all over their personal space, just keep the conversation topic light and friendly. Just don't touch them. Don't massage their shoulders, or rest your head on their shoulder, or tickle their ribs, or anything! You've just met this person, you're not best buddies.

Other signs that you're a creeper are (but not limited to):
         o watching someone sleep while eating popcorn like it's a movie,
         o going to the same coffee shop each morning just to "bump" into the same person you've seen every day for the last four months,
         o hiding in the bushes outside their home wondering where they are, etc.

Now, here is to avoid "creepin"... don't do any of the above. Duh.

IF anyone is still doing this around at Fanime... Advise the Staff or Rovers.
kthanks. :)

Dany

Bravo, Jerry, very nice!

*applause!*

Universe: Read and remember :D

Steve.Young

If your a creeper, I'm going to say this now.

Stay. Home. Saves me paperwork and stuff.
Director of Marketing
Staff Moderator - Fanime Forums.

Please PM me with any questions, comments, or concerns.

Steve[AT]Fanime[DOT]Com

Jerry

Quote from: Steve.Young on November 11, 2010, 02:48:03 AM
If your a creeper, I'm going to say this now.

Stay. Home. Saves me paperwork and stuff.

you know you like your paperwork Steve. it makes you feel important here at Fanime :D

TC X0 Lt 0X

Hey I'm a Creeper.
Just not the kind of creeper described HERE.

"Never beg. You earn. By Winning.
Or else you won't get anything..."

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

Andy

Creepers? Maybe more, dunno to be honest. I don't bug them and they don't bug me.
Pro, as in: Accomplished, educated, perservering, passionate, precise, great, heroic, better than the rest, pokemon master. Jank, as in: weak, undernourished, failure, disgrace, uneducated, smellys like fish.