Should Kids Be Allowed to Scream In Restaurants?

Started by SukebeStudios, September 10, 2010, 06:20:20 PM

PyronIkari

This topic is actually rather dumb as the point is rather basic that it's no longer about the ban but what annoys people.

The mom is right in the sense that, it's not just kids that cause noise and are annoying during dinners. But adults have control over themselves and in turn are responsible for their own actions, which no one seems to want to bring up as the main issue here.

If an older group of people are annoying, it's not unlikely for a waiter/waitress/owner/hostess to walk by and tell them that they are disturbing the other patrons and to quiet down/asked to leave. Drunk people are asked that all the time. You can't exactly do the same thing for a kid. If a kid is crying, you can't ask the kid to quiet down and have them oblige. They're a kid, stupid, and not caring of norms. So the sign is a precautionary... if a kid is being loud, the restaurant won't put up with it and ask parents to leave. Parents can no longer give the "well I can't control my kids actions so too bad!" excuse, which I HEAR ALL TO OFTEN.

But god I wish people could be banned for being loud/annoying/rude. Imagine it like this.

What if anime cons had sensible people that weren't rude, that didn't scream and try to glomp you, that didn't act like 6 yo's and had some decency? I would love it, but then again, you'd lose about 3/4 of the attendees.

Should kids be allowed to? It's up to the restaurant and the atmosphere they wish to provide. There's a law that says private business is allowed to serve whomever they want and have a right to refuse service to anyone. Within that law, they are legally allowed to not serve a patron if they are loud/annoying/rude. If a parent brings in a screaming kid, the business is within it's legal right to disallow service.

Jerry

usually in a restaurant - i would usually tune it out.
in a cramped airplane, probably a bit harder... but manageable.
Thats what a good pair of noise canceling headphones/earplugs are for. :)

there's nothing to 'debate/discuss' here.
telling a baby not to cry/scream is like telling it not to breathe. some things u cant control so you deal with it.

really SukebeStudios? this is almost like a Jiang Jin post.  (this is joking sarcasm btw)  :P
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jerry.pang

Games, Friends & Fanime oh my! :D

PyronIkari

Quote from: Jerry on October 05, 2010, 09:10:16 AM
usually in a restaurant - i would usually tune it out.
in a cramped airplane, probably a bit harder... but manageable.
Thats what a good pair of noise canceling headphones/earplugs are for. :)

there's nothing to 'debate/discuss' here.
telling a baby not to cry/scream is like telling it not to breathe. some things u cant control so you deal with it.

really SukebeStudios? this is almost like a Jiang Jin post.  (this is joking sarcasm btw)  :P

Jerry... I seriously wonder if you read threads before you reply to them, as this thread had NOTHING TO DO WITH PREVENTING CHILDREN FROM CRYING.

This issue was actually a completely legitimate subject matter(unlike most of yours) concerning rights of parents to bring their children out to upscale(and not so upscale) places potentially disturbing everyone elses' ambiance. Going to Chuck E. Cheese, you expect screaming children. If I go to Morton's or Lawry's, if I'm at Prime or any other nicer upscale restaurant, and there's a screaming kid... I'm going to be fucking pissed off. You realize that when you go to nice restaurants, you're paying for environment/service/ambiance as well. You're not just paying 30-100$ for a plate of food you know.

So should parents be allowed to bring their bratty ass kids to places like this? Should restaurants be allowed to ban/kick out children if they act up?

THAT'S THE GOD DAMNED ISSUE. And frankly, I SHOULD NOT just have to deal with someone else's kid screaming like a brat. Why the hell should I have my night ruined because some other parent couldn't get a baby-sitter and decided to bring their screaming child to the same restaurant I

otakuya

I'd also like to add the fact that many food service, shopping centers, and entertainment places has signs clearly stating "we reserve the right to refuse service to anyone", a right for a business and their patrons. I'd like for more places to exercise that right more often. What's the worst that can happen, a bad Yelp review? a lawsuit? It's the business' right.

Some places, it's understandable; such as a Wal-Mart (shop at Story Road Wal-Mart, I dare you) but still, it's not about simply 'tuning it out', because no matter how hard you try, you just can't. Annoying things tend to get the most attention, and fortunately, when the issue is rectified, there's always a sense of relief to the rest of us. Like when a parent finally shuts their kid up.
Been on a plane lately? Mall? Buffet restaurant? Airport? Church? Church?!?!*

Space Cat comics and cards store in San Jose has a sign similar to that restaurant in the video, saying "Hey kid, no crying!". Couldn't have said it better myself.

[*=A church isn't technically a business, but it's still a public place.]

SukebeStudios

I work near the Story Road Walmart. I've never noticed the loud kids. That's the beauty of an iPod. But still, it should be about personal responsibility, not having to rely on a store or a business to have to eject people from the premesis. Besides...it's not discrimination based on sex, race, religion, or sexual orientation. So yeah parents, sue because your kid won't/can't quiet down. If you have the money to spend and lose a court case, fine by me.

Kanameshito

How about this whenever I end up going  to an upper scale restaurant I make a point to be sat at another seat if there is a couple of rowdy children.If I am paying anywhere from $80 and above.I am going to damn well enjoy myself.That being said I don't discriminate if I have two adults messing around I am going to tell my waiter as well. :D I have noticed that some adults think that their children are adorable running around.I wish they would take responsibility and take them outside to burn energy and not irritate other patrons. A concerned married woman.
Breathing in the same sequence
While trying to make sense of your situation
What we got ourselves in, two more weeks of one way conversation
She says she's losing interest
I swear that we are best friends till the end
A song that had me listening

Admiral Donuts

If I encounter a screaming shield in a restaurant, I usually go over and kick it or pinch it or steal it's toy or something. At least then it's got a good reason to scream so everything balances out.

echoshadow

Not your typical anime junkie.
MAL:Echoshadow's Anime List

Lucifargundam

If enough customers complain about it, I would think the manager would ask the parent to take teh child outside...

if that the master a 'prentice have,
Entirely then that he him tell,
That he the craft ably may know,
Wheresoever he go under the sun.

wolfdaemon

How about just raising your kid right and waiting til they can control themselves/the parents have better control over their kids before taking them into social situations.  My parents didn't take me to fancy restaurants until I could control myself and if I was obnoxious, I was taken outside til I calmed down.  Sadly, most parents I see nowadays just don't give two shits about their kids.  They let them get away with murder.  Screaming children at restaurants and movie theaters are the ones that really kill me.  If your kid can't sit through an hour and a half movie and be quiet, they need to stay home and wait for it to come out on dvd.

Rhornez

ill make a couch fort and put a sign that says, no kids allowed

Been going to Fanime Since 2008

Lucifargundam

Isn't anyone in these forums a restraunt manager/supervisor that could give insight as to such a situation?

PinkHairSasuke

Quote from: Lucifargundam on January 24, 2013, 07:29:17 AM
Isn't anyone in these forums a restraunt manager/supervisor that could give insight as to such a situation?

Where I work, I handle the front counter so I'm required to watch the dining area. If someone is causing a disturbance and other customers complain or I see it as a serious issue to the comfort and enjoyment of other customers or staff members, I'm required to alert the on-duty supervisor or manager. After that, I'm either instructed to ask them to leave or the manager/supervisor does.

Lucifargundam

Quote from: PinkHairSasuke on April 24, 2013, 09:05:00 AM
Where I work, I handle the front counter so I'm required to watch the dining area. If someone is causing a disturbance and other customers complain or I see it as a serious issue to the comfort and enjoyment of other customers or staff members, I'm required to alert the on-duty supervisor or manager. After that, I'm either instructed to ask them to leave or the manager/supervisor does.
What would you suggest a customer do if they become impatient and don't want to wait for a supervisor? o_O

PinkHairSasuke

Quote from: Lucifargundam on May 09, 2013, 03:50:42 PM
What would you suggest a customer do if they become impatient and don't want to wait for a supervisor? o_O

I would most likely do something about it that wouldn't overstep the bounds I have in my current position. Most of the time, when something looks like it could cause problems, the supervisor tells me ahead of time to tell them to leave if I think something is out of hand or we get complaints. I tend to have to deal with a bunch of high school kids making a huge mess in the dining room and bringing in their bikes and such.

Lucifargundam

Quote from: PinkHairSasuke on May 12, 2013, 11:46:56 PM
I would most likely do something about it that wouldn't overstep the bounds I have in my current position. Most of the time, when something looks like it could cause problems, the supervisor tells me ahead of time to tell them to leave if I think something is out of hand or we get complaints. I tend to have to deal with a bunch of high school kids making a huge mess in the dining room and bringing in their bikes and such.
bikes at a Cheesecake Factory?! o_O ?!! Wait, I think I confused you for someone else just now...

What would you do if communication with the customer is poor to begin with? Just still be persistant?

PinkHairSasuke

Quote from: Lucifargundam on May 13, 2013, 11:54:15 PM
bikes at a Cheesecake Factory?! o_O ?!! Wait, I think I confused you for someone else just now...

What would you do if communication with the customer is poor to begin with? Just still be persistant?
Yeah, I don't work at the Cheesecake Factory haha

If communication is poor then yes. Even if no one complains, I would just be observant of what's going on and make judgment calls on if it is disruptive or potentially disruptive.

Lucifargundam

Quote from: PinkHairSasuke on May 15, 2013, 09:02:11 AM

If communication is poor then yes. Even if no one complains, I would just be observant of what's going on and make judgment calls on if it is disruptive or potentially disruptive.
at my store we cant really do anything about either- :/ guess thats wht separates restraunts from stores?

PinkHairSasuke

Quote from: Lucifargundam on May 16, 2013, 09:05:41 AM
Quote from: PinkHairSasuke on May 15, 2013, 09:02:11 AM

at my store we cant really do anything about either- :/ guess thats wht separates restraunts from stores?
I believe that's what mostly sets them apart. I know restaurants are huge on customer satisfaction from the dining experience along with the food itself. They want them to feel comfortable enough to keep coming back.