Best Places to buy food in and outside the con

Started by pokephirawriter, November 17, 2010, 03:20:40 PM

TC X0 Lt 0X

You mean SmokeEaters? I think that was on that show, though I've only seen the show as glances from my dad watching it. If so, that place is a little ways off from Downtown (2-3 miles) all the way over at Santa Clara University.

Though admittibly a lot of restaurants in San Jose have been on Man vs Food or similar so I could be neglecting something.

"Never beg. You earn. By Winning.
Or else you won't get anything..."

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

AbsolutelyCursed

Quote from: TC_X0_Lt_0X on January 06, 2011, 03:00:18 AM
You mean SmokeEaters? I think that was on that show, though I've only seen the show as glances from my dad watching it. If so, that place is a little ways off from Downtown (2-3 miles) all the way over at Santa Clara University.

Actually, there is a SmokeEaters location in downtown San Jose. It is at the same spot that University Chicken used to be located.

TC X0 Lt 0X

Quote from: AbsolutelyCursed on January 06, 2011, 09:13:06 AM

Actually, there is a SmokeEaters location in downtown San Jose. It is at the same spot that University Chicken used to be located.

O rly?

IC.

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

lummy

The place that Man Vs. Food went to is called Henry's World Famous Hi-Life and I checked where it is and its about a 17 min walk from the convention area. Its like a sport bar type restaurant.

301 West Saint John St., San Jose, CA 95110

nothing elaborate, pretty anti-social
Been doing Fanime since 2002
has a Tonberry Cosplay... from 06. :D

Rhornez

Quote from: TC_X0_Lt_0X on January 06, 2011, 04:17:49 PM
Quote from: AbsolutelyCursed on January 06, 2011, 09:13:06 AM

O rly?

IC.
seems like a bar and im 17 and i wanna try thier wings but to me it looks like a no D:

Been going to Fanime Since 2008

Barnes

Quote from: Rhornez on January 07, 2011, 12:37:44 AMseems like a bar and im 17 and i wanna try thier wings but to me it looks like a no D:

You can still go into Smoke Eaters. There's no guy at the door to ask for your ID.
Also a Proud Fanime Con Attendee since 1998!
Yay, Haruko.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/CapeBarnes

Rhornez

:D Buffalo Wings it is!!!!!
TONIGHT WE DINE AT SMOKEEATERS!!!!!!
AWOOOO
AWOOOO

Been going to Fanime Since 2008

TC X0 Lt 0X

So another La Victoria is opening up in Downtown, I believe on Santa Clara. A ways off sure, but still, if you are in the area...

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

thequangsta

There is a ramen place in Japan town. You can get there taking light rail which is right in front of the convention center, same amount of walking if you went to mcdonalds.

Light Rail is your friend, take light rail to get to restaraunts further away from the hotels, the further away restaurants are from hotels and convention center the cheaper it is.

Rin_chan

My friends and I went to a nice little pizza a few blocks away from the con last year, I think it was called something like Santa Carlos Pizza? Wish I remembered the exact name, but I'm sure that's close to it.

The cheese was yummy and the crust was perfectly crispy. The price was pretty good too.

EvilBunnyKid

Quote from: Rin_chan on January 16, 2011, 08:02:16 PM
My friends and I went to a nice little pizza a few blocks away from the con last year, I think it was called something like Santa Carlos Pizza? Wish I remembered the exact name, but I'm sure that's close to it.

The cheese was yummy and the crust was perfectly crispy. The price was pretty good too.

I remember this place!!  I bought a 2 lg pies there and then kept one for me and my friends and shared the other one with everyone (or as many as I could) in the line behind me for the AnCafe concert a few yrs ago.  It was very good.  :P

Armored-Heart

Quote from: thequangsta on January 14, 2011, 10:18:58 PM
There is a ramen place in Japan town. You can get there taking light rail which is right in front of the convention center, same amount of walking if you went to mcdonalds.

Light Rail is your friend, take light rail to get to restaraunts further away from the hotels, the further away restaurants are from hotels and convention center the cheaper it is.

Mmm, I think I know which ramen place you're talking about. Their ramen's delicious! <3 There's also a Japanese grocery store across the street and a few other restaurants nearby. c: I haven't tried them yet, but they certainly look good! Though just a note, the restaurants in Japantown tend to close in between lunch and dinner I think, so I would recommend checking their hours. If my memory serves correct, I believe most were open between 11 and 2 for lunch and then from 5 to maybe around 8 or 9 for dinner.
Not attending for 2014. Sorry!

Enkai

Ideally for con food, my husband and I will stock a cooler for some cheap meals.  We did eat out a lot at Fanime last year just because of our rush leaving.  We won't have to drive 3 1/2 hours this year (more like 15 minutes XD ), so hopefully the rush will be less of an issue.

Our choices for places walking distance:
Tandoori Oven
Subway
I believe there was a baja fresh or somewhere similar
We also went to this bakery right by the Fairmont for coffee and pastries a couple times

Johnny Rocket's is okay.  We're not big burger fans, but we did go there on my little brother's request.

This year will probably have at least one light rail trip up to San Jose's Japantown for dinner.

Barnes

There's a Subway at:

360 South Market Street (across the street from the convention center)

165 West San Fernando Street (close to the Greyhound Station)

43 South 1st Street (at Post St.)

103 East Santa Clara Street (at Third St.)

The point is, Downtown SJ has a lot of Subways in it.

I'll post other places that I know of later.
Also a Proud Fanime Con Attendee since 1998!
Yay, Haruko.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/CapeBarnes

Halrenna

Quote from: Enkai on January 21, 2011, 12:01:55 PM
Ideally for con food, my husband and I will stock a cooler for some cheap meals.  We did eat out a lot at Fanime last year just because of our rush leaving.  We won't have to drive 3 1/2 hours this year (more like 15 minutes XD ), so hopefully the rush will be less of an issue.

Our choices for places walking distance:
Tandoori Oven
Subway
I believe there was a baja fresh or somewhere similar
We also went to this bakery right by the Fairmont for coffee and pastries a couple times

Johnny Rocket's is okay.  We're not big burger fans, but we did go there on my little brother's request.

This year will probably have at least one light rail trip up to San Jose's Japantown for dinner.

Tandoori Oven is wonderful!!

darkknightcecil

Muchos! Taqueria is one of the best place to eat foods as well.
Hmm what else.. SmokeEaters, Henrys Hi Life,

TC X0 Lt 0X

Quote from: Barnes on January 21, 2011, 03:57:29 PM
There's a Subway at:

360 South Market Street (across the street from the convention center)

165 West San Fernando Street (close to the Greyhound Station)

43 South 1st Street (at Post St.)

103 East Santa Clara Street (at Third St.)

The point is, Downtown SJ has a lot of Subways in it.

I'll post other places that I know of later.

Statistically speaking, There are more Subways then McDonalds in the US.
Or so I believe I read somewhere at sometime =P.

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

EJAY420

to everyone who keeps posting these usefull post up...thank you!!! Let's just say that I got my grub ready for this year!
Most Impressive.

aarondirebear

Psycho Donuts.  They also have booze at the downtown one.

heeroyuy135

There are two Food Maxx grocery stores, one off of Parkmoor Ave. near the 280 and one off of Tully Rd. near the Eastridge Center. They have lower prices than some of the other grocery stories in the area, and you can easily find everything that you need.