Best Places to buy food in and outside the con

Started by pokephirawriter, November 17, 2010, 03:20:40 PM

michael2steven

Love to visit some great places..Was at CA's best restaurant now going to TX...

LordKefka

FanimeCon Press, 2007-2012
FanimeCon Registration Staff, 2007
Fanime Forums Moderator
Anime Boston Press, 2010-2012
AOD Press, 2011
Otakon Press, 2012
Anime Expo Press, 2008-2012
Anime Central Press, 2008
THEManime.org, Staff
Animesou.com, Editor

N.E.R.V.agent220

Amici's East Coast Pizzeria
225 W. Santa Clara St.
San Jose, CA 95133

Tell them that NERV sent ya.  ;D

otakuapprentice

Time And Relative Dimension In Space.

otakuya

^ a Subway across the street from the Marriott just opened

"But you already knew that!" -Alberto del Rio

GoodAsianDriver

Quote from: ultrazyn on December 05, 2010, 05:07:36 PM
la vics for mexican (orange sauce!)

pho tau bay for some delicious pho

Plus 1 for la vics! I recommend this place highly! Don't be turned away by the outside decor, or the indie san jose state college students. This is quite possibly the best mexican food nor cal has to offer.
--
www.spinkpop.com
Each man is given a scientific heritage plus a continuing barrage of sensory stimulation; and the considerations which guide him in warping his scientific heritage to fit his continuing sensor promptings are, where rational, pragmati

TC X0 Lt 0X

Quote from: GoodAsianDriver on March 30, 2011, 04:52:32 PM
Quote from: ultrazyn on December 05, 2010, 05:07:36 PM
la vics for mexican (orange sauce!)

pho tau bay for some delicious pho

Plus 1 for la vics! I recommend this place highly! Don't be turned away by the outside decor, or the indie san jose state college students. This is quite possibly the best mexican food nor cal has to offer.
No it just has the best sauce ever. Their actual food comes wanting.
It really should just be renamed to La Victoria Sauceria

"Never beg. You earn. By Winning.
Or else you won't get anything..."

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

Mango Bunny

I agree ^

The sauce is good (healthy? not so much.) but I'd rather grab my food from Iguana's around the corner! Way better imo! Paired with the La Vic's orange sauce? Perfect.

Has anyone thought about signing up for groupons for fanime?? I've been watching them for San Jose for a couple weeks, and sometimes there are some decent deals on dining in the convention area. Deals are typically 15 $ for 30 $ worth of food and things. I want to post my referral link, but I won't. Just look 'em up and put in the area you're interested in. I've bought I think about 5 for my area so far. It's just a thought. I am a groupon fan.

Glitch

If your going to a fast food place, make sure to get some coupons that you get in the mail.
Like for example; Carl's Jr. sometimes has a coupon that let's you get fries and the drink for free if you buy a big burger. And of course almost every place has "a buy one get one free" coupon. A good way to save money.

TC X0 Lt 0X

Quote from: Glitch on April 04, 2011, 02:27:56 PM
If your going to a fast food place, make sure to get some coupons that you get in the mail.
Like for example; Carl's Jr. sometimes has a coupon that let's you get fries and the drink for free if you buy a big burger. And of course almost every place has "a buy one get one free" coupon. A good way to save money.

You bring back memories of Free kids meal Wednesdays when I had a coupon for a Super Star Meal when you purchase a Super Star Meal.
I may have shortened my life significantly that day...

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

Mango Bunny

A lot of these are area-specific though, so check before you bring the coupons. I know a lot of us come from outside the San Jose area.

otakuya

TC X0 Lt 0X

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

L0Lpants

Quote from: TC_X0_Lt_0X on April 07, 2011, 12:15:37 AM
Quote from: Otakuya on April 06, 2011, 07:13:30 PM
Two words: Dollar  Menu

I don't feel like dieing during Con, thanks.

seriously. If you wanna get something at the con, at least get something that would seem worth it. Like a Calzone. Oh damn I want a Calzone right now
~Swap Meet staffer: '10, '11, '12, '14

Mango Bunny

I would recommend hitting the other cheap places before the dollar menu, just because with food like that you're likely to get a quick spike of energy from the large amounts of sugar (and other crud) and then you'll feel worse later. But, for a snack that's fine.

For snacks though I bring like a billion bags of cheesy popcorn. I can eat an entire bag in a sitting because it's so frickin' good. Chips and junk too. Y'know.

Taciturn

Since I go to San Jose State I figured I'd throw in my two cents.  Here's a list of where I get my usual grub.  Google for addresses, but they're all within good distance of the downtown area.  Also I left out the pricey places like Sonoma Chicken Coop, Original Joe's, and Scotts Seafood.

Fast food: McDonalds, Togos, Subway, Jack in the Box, Carls Jr are all within 1-5 blocks from the event center.  Carls Jr is a little farther over near Santa Clara Street.

Johnny Rockets [I consider it expensive, but milkshakes are pretty awesome.]
Peanuts Deluxe Cafe [diner that gives you a crapload of food that's probably not good for you but filling.  Cash only.]
Osheyo [Sushi and the works.]
Psycho Donuts
Hydration Tea and Coffee [Milk tea, bento boxes, etc.]
Smoke Eaters [Spicy chicken wings.]
La Victoria Taqueria [Burritos, tacos, enchiladas, orange sauce...]
Iguanas Burritozilla [Burritos, tacos...]
A Taste of Paris [Pastries, soups]
The Cheese Steak Shop
Good Karma Vegan House [vegetarian food, great local coffee]
Cafe Pomegranate [Mediterranean, Persian, great kebabs]
China Chen [Noodles, rice plates]
Pho 69
The Kebab Shack [Kebabs, rice, combo plates]
Pizza My Heart
TK Noodle
Quickly's

Also watch for food trucks.  I know a few make downtown stops, like Mogo's and Curry Up Now.

Glitch

Quote from: Mango Bunny on April 06, 2011, 04:03:47 PM

A lot of these are area-specific though, so check before you bring the coupons. I know a lot of us come from outside the San Jose area.
True. Although it should be safe with fast food places like McDonalds and Carls Jr since I almost never see them be specific about an area. Little Ceasers on the other hand tends to be specific about an area. I guess check to see what deals you can get ahead of time.
Save your money and fill your belly.

garfieldelric

You know, if only In-N-Out were near the con site..... those burgers are so damn good! :D
"Today, these three players are after BIG BUCKS! But they'll have to avoid the whammy, as they play the most exciting game of their lives! From Hollywood, it's time to PRESS! YOUR! LUCK!"

otakuya

The nearest In-N-Out from the CC is the one on Coleman Ave next to the airport and Lowe's. It just opened last year, I believe

TC X0 Lt 0X

Quote from: garfieldelric on April 08, 2011, 11:03:56 AM
You know, if only In-N-Out were near the con site..... those burgers are so damn good! :D

This is the part where I disagree.
Their burgers are extremely plain and lack any distinct flavor.
From there, their fries can only be described as brittle pieces of chalk.
They lack a legitimate menu of any kind beyond Burger A, B, C, to Z which is hidden requiring the customer to actually have to research the food to get a specific crappy burger. That and regardless they are all variations off the same cheese burgers with very few changes between them beyond the amount of meet cheese and sauce on them.
And finally they have worse service then any other fast food restaurant out their, willing to hire even the most under trained individual and throw him anywhere in the building to work without supervision.

Did I ever mention I got a raw hamburger from them? The sad part is that as much of a problem that was, it only just barely pulls ahead of the rest of the pack with my experiences of bad customer service at In and Out in general.
Still does not beat the price tags stamped to my Burrito and Soft Taco from that one Taco Bell though...

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.