Everyones least favorite cult is stopping by the Bay Area again.

Started by jacktchance, January 14, 2011, 01:59:01 AM

Ikki Yoneda

Quote from: kill3rsushi on May 25, 2011, 02:27:28 AMThis year, I plan on telling anyone who yells at me the same thing I tell them every year, "I am praying for you." Still, it would be nice to know if there's any real, viable legal action I or any of us can take against personal attacks.
They are sad people, ignorant of the ways of the faith they profess. But they are legally savvy, and are trying to push people's buttons. My take on them is a bit different from the FanimeCon honchos; but I suppose being in the same faith, I have a different insight. They are trying to provoke a response. They have a network of like-minded friends, and would like nothing better than to brag about being "Persecuted Christians". Do you really want to give them that? At any rate, the honchos would have us leave them alone, and I do agree with that. They can't claim that they are persecuted if we leave them alone.

~Doko ni mo nai sono basho e
~Ima hajimaru utagoe ga
~Todoite-iru, michibiite'ru
~Takaraka ni to heaven

PyronIkari

Quote from: kill3rsushi on May 25, 2011, 02:27:28 AM
This year, I plan on telling anyone who yells at me the same thing I tell them every year, "I am praying for you." Still, it would be nice to know if there's any real, viable legal action I or any of us can take against personal attacks.

No unless there is provable harm done to constitute it being slander. Basically said personal attack has to do something that changes your reputation on a level that causes losses that are measurable. I.E. the personal attack has to prevent you from getting a job, or lose out on a business deal, something of that extent.

But why bother retaliating if it doesn't accomplish anything, seriously. Waste of time and effort and just adds to them wanting to attack more people.

HerpDerpMcSlurp

Quote from: Melly on May 23, 2011, 03:34:09 PM
ok what the hell.

i looked threw the events and was like "oh metal, pop icons, fanime.........

Sesame Street?!?[/u][/i]"
why are they protesting at Sesame Street show....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9DGhfDrLK4

What I'm more baffled about is what made them picket a Kenny Chesney concert, I mean I thought churchie hicks were into all that kunchree mewsick crapola and vice versa.

PyronIkari

Quote from: HerpDerpMcSlurp on May 25, 2011, 04:59:38 PM
Quote from: Melly on May 23, 2011, 03:34:09 PM
ok what the hell.

i looked threw the events and was like "oh metal, pop icons, fanime.........

Sesame Street?!?[/u][/i]"
why are they protesting at Sesame Street show....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9DGhfDrLK4

What I'm more baffled about is what made them picket a Kenny Chesney concert, I mean I thought churchie hicks were into all that kunchree mewsick crapola and vice versa.

And there's the blatent irony of you being just as judgmental and the hypocrite I said you were. To not even make the obvious statement of prejudice, but to go out of your way to mock it. Congrats at being what you supposedly hate.

HerpDerpMcSlurp

I'm just doing what they do to us, generalizing and making assumptions based on a few experiences with a small pocket of the group. Y'know, for the lulz and so forth. Cuz one churchie = all churchies.

Glitch

It seems the concept "they don't care who they're protesting, as long there's a crowd to get them attention!" escapes some people.
This group would protest even if it was Jesus himself holding an event.
Compared to the westboro church, they're actually more ignorant of the events they protest since wbc gets really personal. Though these idiots seem to be louder than wbc. It's hard to tell if they want people to punch them in order to sue the way wbc does.

HerpDerpMcSlurp

Quote from: kill3rsushi on May 25, 2011, 02:27:28 AMPeaceful protest is one thing, but claiming that I am a prostitute in front of my father and boyfriend... Can't I sue them or call the cops for that? When a person from that group looks me in the eye, points their finger in my direction and calls out "whore" I want to retaliate.

The real deal Westboro does this stuff to folks all the time, I read that Fred once randomly shouted the N-word at some black woman walking past when they were doing one of their anti-gay pickets outside of some court house: http://blank.org/addict/chapter6.html

Quote from: kill3rsushi on May 25, 2011, 02:27:28 AMThe saddest part of all this was two years ago, seeing my devoutly Christian friend cry while she told the protesters, "Jesus loves me and wants me to be happy, that's why he brought anime and cosplay into my life" to which they told her she was a whore and going to hell. She lost both of her parents to cancer and only survived the foster system thanks to the friends she made at her school's anime club, so she genuinely believes it was sent to her to save her and her sister's lives. She loves her lord and they damned her for that love and devotion...

Well of course they'd say that to her, because that's what being a hardcore super cereal xtian is all about; striving to reach the impossible goal of being "perfect" and then pridefully shoving it in the face of everyone else who isn't, even if they are "believers" too. They'll scour for any little slip up, any little conspiracy they can pick out and say "you're not good enough because of this." Like being a fan of Christian "Rock"... http://www.av1611.org/crock/crockex1.html - Or wanting to wear a bathing suit - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2xi-ODQUDw (8:27)

RowanRavensong

Quote from: Glitch on May 25, 2011, 05:32:49 PM
It seems the concept "they don't care who they're protesting, as long there's a crowd to get them attention!" escapes some people.
Compared to the westboro church, they're actually more ignorant of the events they protest since wbc gets really personal. Though these idiots seem to be louder than wbc. It's hard to tell if they want people to punch them in order to sue the way wbc does.

There should be a like button XD
I would like this

m0ckingbird

Quote from: Otakuya on January 25, 2011, 10:36:55 PM
To be brutally honest, if you just stay inside the convention center, you probably won't notice them and won't bother you.

While this is true, it's the principle of the thing. I can't stand them and I'm put in an absolutely sour mood when I see them, especially at con and place I call home.

PinkHairSasuke

Westboro always makes me lulz. They have such a strong belief for what they're shouting. Anyone seen those British(I believe) documentaries on them?

Lucifargundam

Not sure if Westboro is a troll belief or belief in trollism...

if that the master a 'prentice have,
Entirely then that he him tell,
That he the craft ably may know,
Wheresoever he go under the sun.

G.I.R

Quote from: RowanRavensong on May 25, 2011, 07:37:40 PM
Quote from: Glitch on May 25, 2011, 05:32:49 PM

There should be a like button XD
I would like this
Same here!