Panel Approvals for 2011 (Update 4.14.2011 - Schedule Sent)

Started by Kava, January 20, 2011, 08:29:21 PM

Kava

Hello everyone!

The panel form has been live for about 30 hours currently, and I have about 19 panel submissions, with at least that many more expected within the next few days. I also have at least 4 or 5 queries as to when/how soon people will hear back as to whether or not their panel was approved. I don't have an exact time frame or date for you, but I wanted to try and give you an idea of what to expect.

We are attempting to convert our panel approval process from one that originally depended mostly on WHEN a panel was submitted into one where the quality and popularity of the panels submitted play a larger part in the approval process. Your time of submission is still important, since we have deadlines to meet, and a panel submitted in January or February will have far more chances to get approved than a panel submitted in April.

The new approval process is still slightly in flux, as we are experimenting with how best to do this.

For this year, our plan, is to have several 'rounds' of approvals for panels. Only a certain number of panels will be approved at each round, to leave room for GOH panels, Industry panels, and perhaps higher quality or more popular Fan panels that have yet to be submitted.

For now, I'm planning to make the first round of approvals in the first or second week of February, depending on how fast the submissions come in. There will be another round in March, one after the Program guide deadline in April, and a final one (if there are any slots left), after the final submission deadline. Any panel that is not approved in one round will be reconsidered for the next round, unless the panelist is sent an e-mail letting them know that we are for some reason unable or unwilling to host their particular panel

As has been the practice for the last couple of years, any panels that do not make it into even the final approval round, will be put on a waiting list. There are nearly always at least a few cancellations the week before the con that leave empty time-slots needing to be filled at the last moment.

We're hoping this will help us continue to improve the quality of the panels held at Fanime. ^-^

-Rena
Rena
Panels Coordinator 2007-2014
Programming Director, 2015

Panels Twitter: http://twitter.com/FanimePanels

Kava

Hey everyone! Here's an update!

We've done a tentative round of approvals for the first round this morning.

54 panels were submitted as of 11am this morning. We looked through them all, and tentatively chose 21 to be approved at the moment.

I'm planning to review these choices with some other staff members and announce the final list of approved panels for this round on Wednesday the 9th, in the evening. Probably you'll get a preview here in the forums first with just panel titles, and the full descriptions should go up on the website shortly after.

Please don't be overly alarmed if your panels were not approved in this first round. They'll be re-considered for the second round, which should be in approximately 1 month. If there was an issue or possible complication with your panel, panel staff will contact you via e-mail to discuss within the next week (ideally), or two (more realistically).

As a note, just because your panel wasn't approved this round, doesn't mean there was anything wrong with it. :) For this first, relatively early, round, we focused on approving panels to fill roughly 1/5 of the total available time-slots. That worked out to approximately 29 hours - so we culled 30 hours worth of programming from the current submissions for approval. We don't want to approve too much too early, as at this point we are not yet certain how many hours the GOH panels will take, nor have we received very many of the Industry panel submissions yet, so we are being cautiously selective.  ;)

If you have any questions I failed to provide for, feel free to post them in reply here, or to e-mail 'panels AT fanime DOT com' with your question.
Rena

Kava

Preliminary Notice of 1st Round Panel Approvals

These are the panels that were approved in the first round, in alphabetical order. They should appear on the website with full descriptions soon. (Please e-mail any questions to panels AT fanime DOT com and panel staff will get back to you as soon as we are able.)

Abridging a Series
Awesomely Bad J-Music Videos
Banzai Arcade 2.5
Banzai Arcade Lite
Con survival for Dummies
Cthulu for President
Gaia Variety Hour
Gannon-Banned
Hentai for the Ladies
Hetalia
How to Make a Cosplay Group
Intro to Memes
Jpop Vs. Kpop Battle Royale
Let's Buy Toys
Manga Censorship Hall of Fame
Naruto 101
Official Gaia Panel
Pokemon DS Café
The Dub Show
The Great Debate
Visual Kei - More than Music
Rena

Kiara

There were several different Hetalia panels that were submitted, from what I've heard. Which Hetalia panel was the one that got approved?

Cosplayer/Photographer in the East Bay.

Cosplay Circus

Quote from: Kiara on February 09, 2011, 08:05:42 PM
There were several different Hetalia panels that were submitted, from what I've heard. Which Hetalia panel was the one that got approved?

I was wondering the same thing, hope they'll specify soon I'm dying to know.
- Elizabeth (Seven Deadly Sins)
- Morrigan (Dragon Age)
- Panty (Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt)

Armored-Heart

@Kiara and Wolftale: The panel descriptions are on the Fanime main site under "Panel Listings", if that helps. c:
Not attending for 2014. Sorry!

Cosplay Circus

Ahhh! Thank you ;D completely forgot about that ^^;;
- Elizabeth (Seven Deadly Sins)
- Morrigan (Dragon Age)
- Panty (Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt)

marisuga

For those panels that got accepted, is it possible to see our submission forms again? I had what I wrote saved on my computer but it somehow got deleted and I just would like to have the exact words that I gave the fanime officials :3

Armored-Heart

Question- are those of us who have already had our panels approved allowed to change our requested timeslots? My friend and I who are co-hosting the Intro to Memes panel deliberately said on the form that we can't host it on Saturday night and had set our first choice timeslot to Sunday night because we wanted to attend the Masquerade. But now it's been announced that Masquerade's on Sunday which sorta screws us over. x_x; Not to mention we'd possibly be losing a good chunk of our possible audience... rofl *kicked*

Would we email the panels department for that, or is it a no-go? D:

Kava

Apologies for the late reply.

The Hetalia panel that was approved was the one that was submitted with a title only of 'Hetalia'. And yes, there were at least 4 or 5 different hetalia panels submitted. There may be another one approved this next round.

@Marisuga: If you need the text of your panel submission back, please send an e-mail to panelsATfanimeDOTcom, and include the original title of your panel. One of our staff will mail it back to the original contact on the submission form.

@Armored-Heart: We anticipate that several panels might need time/day changes due to the change in the masquerade scheduling. I replied to your e-mail just a bit ago.

Also: My apologies to those still waiting to hear back. I'll be attempting to contact as many of you as possible today.
Rena

Armored-Heart

@Kava My friend who will be co-hosting just said she got the email; thanks! c:

Glitch

*crosses fingers.* Come on return of the Comedy Club.

IneloquentFormalties

I was wondering, they said it would be one month after the first round of panels was looked through. Does that mean 30 days or one month as in the next month to the day? I suppose I'm just getting anxious about finding out about the panels. >u<
Tumblr::IneloquentFormalities
Facebook::EloquentArtistry

Kava

Hey all - I apologize for this, but the second round of panel approvals is being delayed till March 19th.

My staff and I simply weren't able to e-mail everyone in between that we needed to contact, and it's unfair to expect them to respond on such short notices. A bunch of e-mails are going out tonight. I'm sorry for the delay, and thank you very much for your patience.

-Rena
Rena

Firefury Amahira

Argh, false hope of an update!  :P Back to waiting!
"Fandom should be fun!" - Firefury Amahira
--
Looking for help writing fanfiction?

Lizchan33

How long do you expect email confirmation for yay or nay to go out?
I'm extra antsy because it's mid March and Fanime is soooo close D:

Firefury Amahira

Quote from: Lizchan33 on March 17, 2011, 11:54:44 PM
^-- This! With a side helping of "need to know whether or not we need to be making hotel reservations!" (Fortunately the hotel my group's looking at isn't on-site or even in town, but still, haaate having plans still up in the air!)
"Fandom should be fun!" - Firefury Amahira
--
Looking for help writing fanfiction?

username_error

Cosplays for Fanime-
Izaya Orihara Durarara 95% Done
Suit Izaya Durarara 75% Done
Aoba Kuronuma Durarara 90% done

Kava

Hey Folks! Sorry for the two week delay. Without further ado, here are another 31 panels that have made it to the schedule thus far:

Pop-Fiction
Hetalia After Hours
Hetalia Budget cooking
Translating Anime & Manga
Gaia Feedback Social
Johnny and Associates
What's Wrong with Res. Evil?
Wig Styling
3D Film Making with Monty Oum
TGWTG: JewWario/Psychotaku
The Comedy Club at Fanime
Graphic Design for Manga
How To: Amateur Voice Acting
Magikarp: A History
Aniplex of America Panel
Durarara!! Panel
Whose Line Is It? Anime!
Whose Line Is It? Anime! (16+)
Religion in Anime
Bodycasting 101
Armor: Plan it - Make it
Sewing Basics for Cosplay
Under-Cosplay-Wear
Cafe Verfuhren:BL Butler Cafe
Building Gundum Model 101
Bento 101
BJD After Dark
Storytime @ Fanime
Manime!
Let's Go Beat the Death Note

There'll be another approval round in two weeks - after the April 1st Program Guide submission deadline. I intend to fill the schedule at that time - after that we'll move to a waiting list.

At the moment, there are still about 50 possible hours free on the panels schedule - and we have already reserved time-slots for most of the GoH panels.

To give you an idea of how stiff the competition is this year - right now, there are still 45 submissions that have not yet been approved.
Rena

Lizchan33

Quote from: Lizchan33 on March 17, 2011, 11:54:44 PM
I think I should have been more specific too...

Will we get a confirmation that the request was received?
I'm kinda worried I didn't send it right D: