why NOT to go to fanime!

Started by Throwfox, February 07, 2011, 04:06:12 PM

Throwfox

um- Furry? okay- that was kinda funny XD I'm just a fan of sonic and I like to draw

okay-

I do have a problem with leashes and collars with spikes or no spikes-

My problem is because the people I see wearing these things arn't wearing them for a cosplay, it's kinda clear by the way they act that
they are into Bondage.  BUt hey, to those people out there who are wearing those things for fun and not for bondage-have fun :3

Ya- I'm aware of all the things that go on in conventions(well, as far as I am able to understand) like the hentai and yaoi things, And the times i've gone to cons I've chosen to ignore and pass those types of things.

So come on people, it's OKAY that I have ONE dislike, right? wow, Hyenas are out there! oop-wait-is that a furry ref.?
(jk about that hyena thing)

I don't mean to come off as ....well, however you may think that is negative-
I was just curious if anybody else felt the same way as I did about seeing the Bondage thing in a ANIME CONVENTION.

I can understand that yes, for the most part alot of people going to these gatherings are into some type of Negative thing. but for the most part it's ANIME related- so when they go to the ANIME con, they may dress/act/talk/etc etc etc like a certain negative ANIME character-

Hey, I understand that- I ignore it,

it's just- What does Bondage have to do with ANIME cons?
...(sure theres, those hentais but you know what I mean)

But in the end- just in case anybody was wondering- I've decided not to go-
SHould I expose myself to cross-dressers and yaoi things JUST so I can have a good time?
the times I've gone , yes- I did ignore that And focused on me having fun.
But I would like to think that my choice now is that of a good thing.
In the end- how can being around those things(EVEN though I'm ignoring it) be healthy for me?

So yeah-
Maybe I am a stick in the mud-
but at least for myself,I feel that I am making the right choice.

So put that on in your juice box and suck on it!

(to those trolls out there)

TC X0 Lt 0X

Err, how is it unhealthy for you?

Of course it is okay to have a dislike, but that is not an excuse to be a child about it. I doubt even, say, 5% of the attendees are wearing Collars and other things associated with Bondage. That is 1/20 people. Are you telling me you can't ignore 5 people out of a small crowd of 100?

A LOT of people that go not just to Fanime, but other Cons are not actually into Anime. I have met at least a dozen myself. Fanime is not Anime only. Sure, it is the main purpose, but it is also a gathering of other Subcultures.

Honestly, if you can't deal with a few people that you do not even need to interact with beyond 'potentially' seeing a few passing by or across the room, then I don't think very many of us would want you at the con anyway, and doubt you will fare well when you leave the dream land you live in and face the real world.

"Never beg. You earn. By Winning.
Or else you won't get anything..."

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

LordKefka

No the OT is right about everything.

Don't bother with FanimeCon.. ever. It's not the con for you it seems. You'll be better off at a SoniCon or a non-bondagecon or a Cheese'nWhinecon.

Last thing. You're calling people out for trolling when you're the one who makes a topic, whining about something trivial and nonsensical in a serious business section. I wonder who's the one who's trolling here. You're bringing it upon yourself, purposely. I assume someone your age would like this kind of attention wouldn't you?

FanimeCon Press, 2007-2012
FanimeCon Registration Staff, 2007
Fanime Forums Moderator
Anime Boston Press, 2010-2012
AOD Press, 2011
Otakon Press, 2012
Anime Expo Press, 2008-2012
Anime Central Press, 2008
THEManime.org, Staff
Animesou.com, Editor

Kuudere

Haha, you're opening yourself up to some major snark with that reply, but I have to say that I, for one, respect your opinion on the matter. I just wish you were able to see past it like you did before. People will say you have to tolerate others and their behavior, but tolerate does not mean you have to agree with it. And really, those who practice bondage can only lawfully do so much in public, it's unlikely that you would see anything extraordinarily disturbing.

But I understand some of your concerns and I won't berate you for being concerned about putting yourself in situations that you don't want to be in. I'm kind of like that with the dance that they hold...there are a good amount of people who are taking substances there (you can debate it all you want...for the 5 years I've gone, there has been at least a few people on something there). I try to go and have fun, but that pretty much kills it for me and I leave early every year. I don't find it a safe environment for me personally at that point.

If you feel that these people are unsafe to be around as well, then it's ultimately your decision and you have a right to your opinion. But hey, they also have a right to tell you you're overreacting. I hope you reconsider and decide to go, because I've never heard of the bondage people doing anything bad at the con yet.

LordKefka

Your comparison between you having to deal with people who do drugs at those dances is completely different than the OP. Yours has to do with your safety and safety of other people if those druggies happen to go ape nuts or do something inappropriate to someone else. That is a concern.
Fanime Forums Moderator
AOD Press, 2011
Otakon Press, 2012
THEManime.org, Staff
Animesou.com, Editor

Kuudere

Quote from: LordKefka on February 10, 2011, 09:16:36 PM
Your comparison between you having to deal with people who do drugs at those dances is completely different. Yours has to do with your safety and safety of other people if those druggies happen to go ape nuts or do something inappropriate to someone else. That is a concern.

True, but some people might consider my actions to be overreacting when nothing has yet happened at the dance to justify leaving. She seems to feel uncomfortable in situations with people she deems to be sexual deviants, even though nothing has happened with them concerning her. That is where I was drawing the admittedly small comparisons.

LordKefka

Just because you haven't experienced anything doesn't mean it hasn't ever happened ( and in fact what you mention at raves do happen even at an anime con) or comparable to her case. Reason: something that you mention that happens at dances and raves DO in fact happen where as you're comparing it with someone who has a dislike for a particular fashion of someone else and saying how they are potential perverts. It's like saying: " I've never been seriously hurt by a group of trained puppy dogs and either has my friend who's been swimming in a pool filled with sharks". But what's more realistic here in terms of danger? There is difference between a baseless and ridiculous claim vs. a claim that has some form of credibility,
Fanime Forums Moderator
AOD Press, 2011
Otakon Press, 2012
THEManime.org, Staff
Animesou.com, Editor

Armored-Heart

@Throwfox For all you know, the majority of the people wearing leashes and collars might just be doing so for the fun of it, and not cause they're into bondage, so don't clump everyone into that category. People wear a lot of crazy stuff to cons because it's more acceptable there and it's a fun excuse to dress up.

If you can't handle a mere handful of people who do/wear/etc something that you don't like, you seriously need to get out more, because that's life. Seriously.

It's fine to dislike something, but there's no need to act like a total troll about it. Chances usually are (and definitely are in this case), nobody cares. lmao
Not attending for 2014. Sorry!

Kuudere

Quote from: LordKefka on February 10, 2011, 09:29:38 PM
Just because you haven't experienced anything doesn't mean it hasn't ever happened...

Couldn't agree more, but that is actually a point in her favor. Just because you haven't experienced any bad situations with these people doesn't mean that she hasn't. Perhaps she does have a legitimate reason to not want to be around them, from past experiences or from factual accounts she's heard. Honestly though, I'm just playing devil's advocate now. I don't wholly agree with her line of thinking, but I also don't like the attitude that others are giving her. I think we should encourage people to attend the convention, not discourage them.

To Throwfox: Again, I really hope you step back and look at the situation with an informed opinion, because I think you should go to the convention and have fun like you planned. I feel if you were to evaluate things more, you would find that it really is a very, very small minority that practice this expression, and it's unlikely that you will have to interact with them on any level. If you would like to wear collars but feel that you can't because of the association, I hope that you can realize that you're dressing for yourself and who cares what others think. However, if you find that your concerns are justified after thinking it through, then oh well, I guess.  :)

PyronIkari

Quote from: Throwfox on February 10, 2011, 07:06:17 PM
it's just- What does Bondage have to do with ANIME cons?
...(sure theres, those hentais but you know what I mean)

But in the end- just in case anybody was wondering- I've decided not to go-
SHould I expose myself to cross-dressers and yaoi things JUST so I can have a good time?
the times I've gone , yes- I did ignore that And focused on me having fun.
But I would like to think that my choice now is that of a good thing.
In the end- how can being around those things(EVEN though I'm ignoring it) be healthy for me?

So yeah-
Maybe I am a stick in the mud-
but at least for myself,I feel that I am making the right choice.

Holy crap, you're not a stick in the mud, you're stupid, ignorant, and intollerent. What she's doing is basically discriminating against people do to sexual orientations. Things that do not affect anyone or anything. ALLOW ME TO EXPAND.

"I DON'T LIKE BLACK PEOPLE, SO I WILL NOT GO TO ANY WHERE THERE ARE LOTS OF BLACK PEOPLE".

This is EXACTLY WHAT SHE IS SAYING.

See, having preferences, dislikes, and things of the such are understandable. RP'ers weird me out. But guess what, I don't associate with them. Good riddance, screw trying to teach her. Screw trying to justify actions. She's an intollerant bigot, so be it. Good riddance to her, and I'm glad she's not going.

LordKefka

Quote from: MeowDesu on February 10, 2011, 10:14:26 PM
Just because you haven't experienced anything doesn't mean it hasn't ever happened...

Couldn't agree more, but that is actually a point in her favor. Just because you haven't experienced any bad situations with these people doesn't mean that she hasn't. Perhaps she does have a legitimate reason to not want to be around them, from past experiences or from factual accounts she's heard. Honestly though, I'm just playing devil's advocate now. I don't wholly agree with her line of thinking, but I also don't like the attitude that others are giving her. I think we should encourage people to attend the convention, not discourage them.

It's not a point in her favor because if that's the case, then anyone can make up something retarded. Like for example, I can just say " I can't see the face of that cosplayer so I'm in danger so all cosplayers whom I can't see the face of are threats to me and I won't go to a convention where the identity of that person isn't known". You see where I'm getting at here. Again, there is a difference between something ridiculous and something reasonable.That point you say she has in her favor is so weak ANYONE can use it as a cop out to say it can happen. Hell, I can argue for that we can spontaneously dissipate and be one with the universe due to entrophy working against us and it COULD POSSIBLY happen. But is that fair to hold on to that almost threadless possibility and compare it with something else like for example getting food poisoning from eating undercooked meat? I think not.

And other people trying to convince shouldn't be a big reason to go to a con. Your own interest and appreciation for a diverse group of people with different interests in this subculture should be. In this case, she herself, convinced herself she wasn't going to go for one of the most nonsensical reason that I've encountered up to date. Why go against the flow of water (even if the water is stinky :V )?
Fanime Forums Moderator
AOD Press, 2011
Otakon Press, 2012
THEManime.org, Staff
Animesou.com, Editor

LordKefka

Quote from: PyronIkari on February 10, 2011, 10:15:26 PM

...What she's doing is basically discriminating against people...

I think this will do.
Fanime Forums Moderator
AOD Press, 2011
Otakon Press, 2012
THEManime.org, Staff
Animesou.com, Editor

ice queen

Quote from: LordKefka on February 10, 2011, 10:47:22 PM
Quote from: PyronIkari on February 10, 2011, 10:15:26 PM

...What she's doing is basically discriminating against people...

I think this will do.

I second this motion. >.>
2011 Cosplay for Fanime-
Kingdom Hearts - Riku 100% complete
Axis Powers Hetalia - Russia 70% complete
Black Butler - Agni 0% Complete

Kuudere

Quote from: LordKefka on February 10, 2011, 10:23:49 PM

It's not a point in her favor because if that's the case, then anyone can make up something retarded. Like for example, I can just say " I can't see the face of that cosplayer so I'm in danger so all cosplayers whom I can't see the face of are threats to me and I won't go to a convention where the identity of that person isn't known". You see where I'm getting at here. Again, there is a difference between something ridiculous and something reasonable.That point you say she has in her favor is so weak ANYONE can use it as a cop out to say it can happen. Hell, I can argue for that we can spontaneously dissipate and be one with the universe due to entrophy working against us and it COULD POSSIBLY happen. But is that fair to hold on to that almost threadless possibility and compare it with something else like for example getting food poisoning from eating undercooked meat? I think not.

And other people trying to convince shouldn't be a big reason to go to a con. Your own interest and appreciation for a diverse group of people with different interests in this subculture should be. In this case, she herself, convinced herself she wasn't going to go for one of the most nonsensical reason that I've encountered up to date. Why go against the flow of water (even if the water is stinky :V )?

I guess I like giving people the benefit of the doubt. It did strike me as a silly problem because I don't personally have issue with it like she does, but apparently it's something she cares about. While it's good that we are explaining why we feel that it shouldn't be an issue to her, I feel that some people are expressing that sentiment in...less than kind ways. I know it's illogical to ask for complete niceness from everyone, but I look at this in terms of the rest of the audience that may stumble upon this and could read it and interpret it as "Fanime people are unfriendly to those they disagree with and tell them not to come to the con." That is kind of where I got bothered by the whole thing and stepped in.

Admiral Donuts

I was just curious if anybody else felt the same way as I did about seeing the Bondage thing in a ANIME CONVENTION.

Odd, you didn't mention the Doctor Who, the Joss Wheadon, the Star Wars, The Family Guy, and anything else that's not ANIME.

YES. You're going to have a boring life otherwise.

Because exposure to a diversity and learning about different aspects of culture, especially those that contravene societal norms, opens your mind to new experiences and new ways of thinking. Otherwise your mind stagnates since it has nothing to feed on but your limited set of experiences.

If you're not even tolerant enough of bondage and whatnot, I'd suggest you forget about ever involving yourself in any anime-related activities, they tend to attract people who deviate from the social norms. In fact, stop watching it altogether.  Watch the most popular TV shows from your own country aimed at your own demographic instead.

Glitch

Because it's not anime related? I guess that means we have to ask all those storm troopers and disney cosplayers to leave. The best thing for fanime to do is to keep many people out as possible. That's definitely their mission.

ice queen

Quote from: MeowDesu on February 10, 2011, 11:03:25 PM

I guess I like giving people the benefit of the doubt. It did strike me as a silly problem because I don't personally have issue with it like she does, but apparently it's something she cares about. While it's good that we are explaining why we feel that it shouldn't be an issue to her, I feel that some people are expressing that sentiment in...less than kind ways. I know it's illogical to ask for complete niceness from everyone, but I look at this in terms of the rest of the audience that may stumble upon this and could read it and interpret it as "Fanime people are unfriendly to those they disagree with and tell them not to come to the con." That is kind of where I got bothered by the whole thing and stepped in.

I think why some people are being less than kind besides may have feelings of offense. But she is very young for one. Two as some put it, she also needs to realize things like this are around her everyday weither she wishes to acknowledge it or not. Three it's not polite to assume if one wears something they are automatically this. Such a thought and voicing it to the wrong crowd later on would be an even more painful experience. Granted it is not wise for some of us here to give her the memory that these people are inconsiderate and confrim her suspicions. But its a double edge sword, just like reality in itself. We all make mistakes, the difference being if we learn from them and move on.

Also on a side note, she did not have to express why she is no longer attending this convention. She could of very well kept it to herself and moved on with her life. I believe she is old enough to understand when and when not to use words that may stir the pot I suppose.
2011 Cosplay for Fanime-
Kingdom Hearts - Riku 100% complete
Axis Powers Hetalia - Russia 70% complete
Black Butler - Agni 0% Complete

xxxplizit (pogi1kenobi)

Rather than any conventions, your topic still targets FanimeCon in regards to this.

The real world has many types of people.  That should be the first thing to learn when you growing up.  School, family, malls, parks, etc.  Just because you see people behave differently from the anime norm doesn't mean they aren't interested with other things.

This isn't limited to just anime conventions.  If that's how you feel, the best winning answer for you is to not go to them.  In the end, you have time to learn your surroundings (or so I really hope).
eGaming Head / FanimeCon, SacAnime, Y-Con, Kintoki-Con, Deceptikon
Tournament Director / AOD
Anime + Gaming Article Lead / GreenTeaGraffiti
Cosplays: Wii Remote, Pink DS Lite

LordKefka

Quote from: LordKefka on February 10, 2011, 10:23:49 PM

Then my question is this: why even make a topic about this and especially in serious business?

It's not even really a problem more so than a personal dislike for a group of people and then claiming some invisible threat they pose based simply on looks. That's something called intolerance and wrongfully typifying people. so again, explain how she's the victim again in all this? It's nice to play the devil's advocate once in a while but devil's advocate is a game best played when it's fair and close on two sides.
Fanime Forums Moderator
AOD Press, 2011
Otakon Press, 2012
THEManime.org, Staff
Animesou.com, Editor

PyronIkari

So you believe bigotry and discrimination should be given the benefit of the doubt? So if someone screams about how they hate faggots, they deserve the benefit of the doubt? Because clearly a whole society of people did something to them right? Or it's perfectly for me to say "I refuse to go to Fanime because they cater to niggers, and I cannot stand niggers!"? Then I completely deserve the benefit of the doubt, something may have obviously happened to me right? That's not bigotry and discrimination at all?

She made this thread as an attention cry. Why else would she make it? Other than to gather people to support idea, there was absolutely no reason to post this thread at all. There's three logical reasonings.

She's trolling

She's looking for support and people to agree with

She's REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY dumb.

You're not even playing devil's advocate... you're just being plain stupid and JUSTIFYING THE OP IN BEING DISCRIMINATORY. Discrimination is discrimination, and it clearly comes from ignorance. If you read the OP's posts, if you look at everything she says, she's clearly not the brightest bulb of the batch. If she doesn't like these things, that is completely fine, but to announce it on the forums, and act like Fanime is a terrible place because they harbor these terrible perverts that are into bondage, and anyone who likes bondage must be a horrible person... is not something should be doing. So as far as I'm concerned, you're just as dumb for trying to justify what she's doing. SHE HAD A CHANCE TO EXPLAIN HERSELF, AND FAILED TO DO SO... IN FACT SHE FURTHER SHOWED JUST HOW IGNORANT AND HOW DISCRIMINATORY SHE IS. So seriously, I'm throwing you a bone... shut the hell up because you're just making yourself look stupid.