Becoming a Volunteer

Started by AnimeLover1989, March 27, 2004, 03:49:49 PM

AnimeLover1989

Hey people!

This is also my very first post. I want to be a volunteer at the fanime convention this year. So far I have sent the e-mail. Am I supposed to wait for the reply, or can I just show up and work as a volunteer.
^^;; can someone tell me everything I have to do in order to volunteer at the convention>>>???

Thanks!

SuperKawaiiNeko

Is it that time of year again allready? Sheesh.

Allright newbies, listen up.

To be a volunteer you must do this:

1) Be registered for fanime in some fashion. Pre-reg or full con "at the door" are preferred, but we usually take all the help we can get.

2) Show up at the convention. If youre pre regged, you can come on thursday, get your badge, and start earning hours a day early.

3) Be 18 or older, or have a signed permission slip/wavier/soul stealing contract. Unfortunately, the wavier forms are not up yet. Keep an eye on the website during the weeks to come.

4) Show up at the barracks/vol hole/ninja lair all regged up and ready to go. Show them your badge, ID/permission slip, and tell them you wanna be a vol. The lovely assistants (yeah right XD) will hook you up.

5) Work. Work like a slave as though the whips of your master were at your very heels.

6) Have an awesome Fanime ^^
President, Moldimort Inc.
A new division of Neko-Spaz enterprises worldwide
I mocked Haru! Ask me how!

Attendee 1998-2001 Volunteer 2002-2008 Swap Meet Staff 2009
Head of Volunteers 2010

drallcome

Cool..

I think Ill volunteer this year.. Been going to F-anime for 6 years now. Hehe.. About time I start helping out. =^-^=
Fanime Member since 1999

SuperKawaiiNeko

lol this is my seventh Fanime, and my third run as a volunteer. Its really fun, and really does give you a feeling like you helped. It also makes you get to feel really important, walking around with your spiffy vol badge XD
President, Moldimort Inc.
A new division of Neko-Spaz enterprises worldwide
I mocked Haru! Ask me how!

Attendee 1998-2001 Volunteer 2002-2008 Swap Meet Staff 2009
Head of Volunteers 2010

Sintax Error

I'd like to volunteer, but I'm not really sure what all I can do since I'm only 16.
Yes, I know I spelt my name wrong...

made in the '80s

Aarolye

yeah.. i'm pretty interested in volunteering.. but i dunno what volunteers do...
Registration Staff

ced1106

Here's the list:
http://www.fanime.com/contact/join_us.html

I don't know if tabletop gaming is still looking for volunteers, but contact [email protected] if you enjoy playing games.

Cedric.
aka. Washu! ^O^
Los Altos Gamesday, Monthly, Saturdays, 10am-11pm
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/gamesday/

Available Sundays for Fantasy Flight Games tabletop gaming in the Santa Clara area.

Kyle stabell

If it's not too late I would like to be a volunteer for the tech group my status is,

redgistration: none at present
con admition info: geting at door on Saturday
E-Mail: [email protected]
Cosplay costumes:
2 Ranma outfits - 100% done
Himura Kenshin - 100% done
MGS2 guard - 85% done

drallcome

Its never to late for volunteering, but you never know what your going to get. Just stop by con-ops and say you wana help.
Fanime Member since 1999

wingruby

Can you be in costume and volunteer at the same time or is there a dress code?

drallcome

Quote from: "wingruby"Can you be in costume and volunteer at the same time or is there a dress code?

Yes you can be in costume. Just keep it to the con rules and you should be ok.
Fanime Member since 1999

Tony

Quote from: "wingruby"Can you be in costume and volunteer at the same time or is there a dress code?
Ask astroboy!! =P

(I'm 99% sure you can cosplay and volunteer at the same time. ^^)
Retired.
Tyrannical Board Admin, 2003-2015
Webmaster, 2003-2007
Head of MusicFest, which has the best damn staff out there, 2005-2008
Convention Chair, 2009-2011
Director of Guest Relations, 2012
Something with Guest Relations, 2013
Father, 2014

Tenba

Quote from: "Tony"(I'm 99% sure you can cosplay and volunteer at the same time. ^^)

I'm sure it depends on the costume.  I don't think that Ohmu custom would work very well with volunteering.

Zain

Quote from: "Tony"
(I'm 99% sure you can cosplay and volunteer at the same time. ^^)
Of course you can, we aren't THAT strict :p

Many of the staff cosplay as well. As long as it doesnt interfere with your job too much, no problem.
2007 Staff (Facilities, IT, Website, Publications)

Saphirix

I know this is a bit late into the topic, but do volunteers actually get compensated in any way, at least like a free badge for the time they are there?

fuzzyfaery

volunteers get refunded the price of the ticket

6 hours for one day passes
or
14 hours for the full membership

sometimes people bring food

edit. i think its 18 hours for full membership refund, cause the con is 4 days now

MeliCat

I'd love to help out for an hour or two. I'm not looking for any free passes or anything, but I'd be willing to help on like a mini-shift if needed. I'm sure you guys have more than enough vols, but feel free to PM me and put me to work!  :roll:

.+:*MeliCat*:+.

hakudoushi

are there any chinese translators needed, or anything someone under 18 could help with? I have an okay understanding of chinese (no dialects!), and can understand people okay.
no really, i have a pet ninja.

radiotomu

Is there any possible way to volunteer to work before the con begins, or is setup reserved for the staff?

If not, I'd be glad to help an hour or two to help, but I'm not sure if I can endure six hours of volunteer work and still see enough of the con without completely burning out.
"My cookbook says if I don't have three eggs, I can use four egg whites. I don't think it understands my dilemma."

hakudoushi

maybe u could help design the badges?
no really, i have a pet ninja.