Fanime's nightlife?

Started by Firefury Amahira, April 06, 2011, 10:51:28 PM

Firefury Amahira

Slightly odd question perhaps, but one I could really use an answer to, since nothing in my experience with Anime Expo seems really applicable.

In short: What's the nightlife at Fanime like?

In longer: My sister and I may tentatively have a workshop/panel from 12am-2am Sunday morning, do many people actually go to panels or workshops that late? I didn't even know Fanime runs anything that late aside from typical nighttime events like the dances or your big ticket evening events like AMV contests or Masquerade; AX in my experience stops most convention events aside from the aforementioned typical nighttime events overnight, with panels running from like 10am-10pm or so.

We're trying to figure out what sort of turnout we might expect with a late evening time slot, and any feedback would be a big help!
"Fandom should be fun!" - Firefury Amahira
--
Looking for help writing fanfiction?

FanFicGuru

Fanime is certainly alive and bumping until the early hours. There are typically some fairly popular video blocks (Anime Anarchy, Hentai night, etc) that run that late, as well as the Fanime dance and of course 24 hour arcade and game rooms. Now the late night panel crowd is a bit different. I'm not sure how many people you would draw if only because

A) There are already the aforementioned late night events that would draw away possible panel-goers
and
B) It really depends on what sort of panel you are offering.

From what I recall, the Damn you Internets!!! panel was later in the evening, and seeing as how Mikey (AKA PyronIkari) ran that panel a few years back, he might be able to give you some better insight as far as the late night panel crowd.

In short, Fanime is certainly lively, the trick will be pulling the typical night owls into your panel. :)
Fanime attendee since 2004
Swap meet staff - 2014
Swap meet co-chair - 2015

Firefury Amahira

Funny enough, it's a fanfiction writing workshop.  ;D We pulled a respectable crowd at PMX with an evening timeslot, though not nearly that late. I think our best turnout thus far was an early afternoon spot at Anime Conji, though as the first timeslot in the con, it was a slow start.

On the bright side, we probably won't need to worry too much about discussion of adult topics that late!
"Fandom should be fun!" - Firefury Amahira
--
Looking for help writing fanfiction?

otakuya

There was a Fanime game show at 2am some time ago.

PyronIkari

Quote from: FanFicGuru on April 06, 2011, 11:03:08 PM
Fanime is certainly alive and bumping until the early hours. There are typically some fairly popular video blocks (Anime Anarchy, Hentai night, etc) that run that late, as well as the Fanime dance and of course 24 hour arcade and game rooms. Now the late night panel crowd is a bit different. I'm not sure how many people you would draw if only because

A) There are already the aforementioned late night events that would draw away possible panel-goers
and

From what I recall, the Damn you Internets!!! panel was later in the evening, and seeing as how Mikey (AKA PyronIkari) ran that panel a few years back, he might be able to give you some better insight as far as the late night panel crowd.

In short, Fanime is certainly lively, the trick will be pulling the typical night owls into your panel. :)

My panel was at 8pm actually, wwwwwwwwwwww.

Night life is dead on friday night. On saturday night, it's still pretty busy upwards until around 2am. Mostly stragglers that don't want to sleep so they just wander around to find something to do. Your typical crowd at that time hwoever aren't really the ones that would care to attend a panel, especially an informative one.

Think of the night life as you would the night life in a city. They're either, looking to party, they're drunk, or they're the kind that are trying to cause mischief. I know that sounds kind of negative, but that's the group you have. Your best bet is to just mingle and wander and look for something entertaining to fill your time. A panel (I don't even think panel rooms are allowed to be open that late honestly).

Junon

I'd say the least amount of activity (based anecdotal evidence last year) was between 5am and 8am. The con seemed pretty much alive even as early (or late) as 4am.

I remember attending a late night panel about Pin-ups. It was adult only as there was a live somewhat nude model and it was pretty packed. Now it coulda been because of the panel's contents and not so much because a panel was running that late. :p

But overall I think you'll be ok. You have a panel that I am interested in.

FanFicGuru

Quote from: PyronIkari on April 07, 2011, 08:54:09 AM
Quote from: FanFicGuru on April 06, 2011, 11:03:08 PM

and

My panel was at 8pm actually, wwwwwwwwwwww.

Night life is dead on friday night. On saturday night, it's still pretty busy upwards until around 2am. Mostly stragglers that don't want to sleep so they just wander around to find something to do. Your typical crowd at that time hwoever aren't really the ones that would care to attend a panel, especially an informative one.

Think of the night life as you would the night life in a city. They're either, looking to party, they're drunk, or they're the kind that are trying to cause mischief. I know that sounds kind of negative, but that's the group you have. Your best bet is to just mingle and wander and look for something entertaining to fill your time. A panel (I don't even think panel rooms are allowed to be open that late honestly).

Huh, and here I thought your panel was ~10 PM. My mistake.

A fanfiction panel sounds interesting, but I doubt it would pull a big enough crowd for it to be worth it, especially at late night.
Fanime attendee since 2004
Swap meet staff - 2014
Swap meet co-chair - 2015

Hachimitsu

of course you could also go check at the arcade section... not only it has games you can play and invest your time..
you can Also go the the Swap meet at thursday/friday and Friday/saturday night....

there as one idea i wanted to try for a tron night gathering but I really don't know if anyone is still interested on that idea!...

Miyu_Mya

I agree that there isn't much of a nightlife at Fanime, but a few blocks away is a really nice Sake bar called "Koji's." They have the best Lychee Martini.
"Nothing beautiful lasts forever."

heeroyuy135

This the thing I love about FanimeCon: From the time the con opens on Day Zero until the closing minutes, there's always something to do, no matter what time it is. This is the only con that I know that is truly open for the whole duration of the con.

I remember that Stage Zero used to run late-night video game speed runs, and even in that hour it draws a crowd.

However, keep this in mind: sleep is your friend.

Mr. Wendell

Stage Zero will be having late night programming for all the days of the convention (with the exception of Day 0).  Evenings between 6 p.m. to about midnight will have the Anime Game Show with Scott Rux, Mike's Giant Game Show, and Fireside Chat.  During the late evening hours from midnight to about 8:30 am will be filled with Asian films and anime movies, and late night Sunday and Monday will have Asian music videos blocks, with a selection of J-pop, J-rock, and K-pop.

However, I would concur with HeeroYuy135; sleep is your friend, and we wouldn't want any of FanimeCon's attendees feeling ill due to the lack of rest as well as food.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wv3ha5qJSo
They hate this awful face, gonna cause **** in this place.

Mr. Wendell
Head '24, Host w/ the Most, Stage Zero, FanimeCon '06-'24
Life of the Party, (insert convention here)

xichisex

Quote from: HeeroYuy135 on May 14, 2011, 03:31:05 AM
This the thing I love about FanimeCon: From the time the con opens on Day Zero until the closing minutes, there's always something to do, no matter what time it is. This is the only con that I know that is truly open for the whole duration of the con.

I remember that Stage Zero used to run late-night video game speed runs, and even in that hour it draws a crowd.

However, keep this in mind: sleep is your friend.
:3 Hi Matt! xD I don't think you remember me at all, but that's okay! I see you at the convention every year and I hope to see you again this year!

FanimeCon Cosplay 2013

abcbadcat

Sleep is your friend, but you have to take into consideration: Fanime is only once a year. You can sleep plenty when the con is over.

I love wandering around the halls at 2am-5am. Sparking up spontaneous games of ninja in the game room with fellow night owls or relaxing at stage zero. There is plenty to do at all times. You just have to look for it.