Game show hosts? Can I be one too?

Started by Okabun, April 11, 2011, 02:43:24 AM

Okabun

I wanted to ask whoever was in charge of the game shows, if they hire hosts or do people like me volunteer? I would like to be able to host something like this, or help someone participate on a panel or anime showing, but I don't know how or who to ask about this. Is there anyone I can talk to get myself in with volunteering?
P.S.-I don't really need any compensation, as I want to help people out with Fanime to make it more fun for everyone(I love just chatting it up with other fans), and also because I would like to do it without becoming a staff member. I think being a staff member or a full time volunteer might be a bit too intense for me. I have attended Fanime for 7 years, and I want to see what it's like inside this machine.

PyronIkari

Compensation... for something at Fanime? hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

You must be young. Let me fill you in.

Fanime is pretty much non-profit. Everyone that works for fanime as staff volunteers to be in these positions. None of us get paid anything.

So what you're saying is... you want to volunteer... without being a volunteer. Sorry no. Things don't work that way. What you're saying is "I want to help out... but only when I feel I want to and don't want any obligation or responsibilities". Seriously, things don't work that way. If you want to help, you need to be dedicated and want to help. Not just show up and slack off doing only what you want and not caring about any other forms of responsibility you have.

If you're not willing to be dedicated and responsible, how/why should anyone trust you to do something like handle and host an event?

M

Quote from: Okabun on April 11, 2011, 02:43:24 AM
I wanted to ask whoever was in charge of the game shows, if they hire hosts or do people like me volunteer? I would like to be able to host something like this, or help someone participate on a panel or anime showing, but I don't know how or who to ask about this. Is there anyone I can talk to get myself in with volunteering?
P.S.-I don't really need any compensation, as I want to help people out with Fanime to make it more fun for everyone(I love just chatting it up with other fans), and also because I would like to do it without becoming a staff member. I think being a staff member or a full time volunteer might be a bit too intense for me. I have attended Fanime for 7 years, and I want to see what it's like inside this machine.

As Mikey stated above, all FanimeCon staffers are volunteers. Although there are compensation benefits (cheaper hotel rooms, staff shopping hour, etc.), they do require that you work the full required amount of hours (24, I believe? Citation Needed!).

I believe that our Game Show department is currently full, but you could try to e-mail gameshow[at]fanime.com and see if he is willing to use a volunteer. At worst, you'll get a "sorry, we need a full time staffer" and at best, you get what you want.

Quote from: PyronIkari on April 11, 2011, 10:29:49 AM
Compensation... for something at Fanime? hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

You must be young. Let me fill you in.

Fanime is pretty much non-profit. Everyone that works for fanime as staff volunteers to be in these positions. None of us get paid anything.

So what you're saying is... you want to volunteer... without being a volunteer. Sorry no. Things don't work that way. What you're saying is "I want to help out... but only when I feel I want to and don't want any obligation or responsibilities". Seriously, things don't work that way. If you want to help, you need to be dedicated and want to help. Not just show up and slack off doing only what you want and not caring about any other forms of responsibility you have.

If you're not willing to be dedicated and responsible, how/why should anyone trust you to do something like handle and host an event?

Down, boy -- too harsh on this one (and completely unnecessary tone)
FanimeCon Head of Marketing & Director of Communications (2008-Current)
(Former Fan Services Director, Registration Staff, & Volunteer)
Have questions (about almost anything)? Message me!

Okabun

PyonIkari, I wasn't asking for money, I was just stating I wasn't doing volunteer work for the badge or for cheaper rooms. I got my room and badge already, that wasn't the issue. I want to help people who might not need a full time volunteer, and I want to meet new people, see what staffing is like, ect. Implying I wouldn't work hard and would half-ass a job just because I wasn't getting paid for it was rude. I wouldn't volunteer if I were just going to let people down. Really the only thing you got right about me was that I probably don't want to be on the clock all the time during my vacation. I come to Fanime for fun, and my wanting to volunteer was just about enriching the experience. I wanted to do something for the gameshow, as I have always liked it myself. Is it selfish for me to want to help a function of Fanime? I would not have asked if I weren't dedicated to helping. Seriously though, I was just asking if anyone wanted help, be it with panels, game show, anime showings or whatever. I wanted to be there to pick up the slack if a volunteer goes missing or something. That's really all I was asking about.
And don't bring age into this. Somebody who makes a post as childish as yours has no right to talk.

And thanks to MPLe, I will get on mailing some posts out! As another question, who else should I mail to? I want to reach someone at panels, or maybe another area that doesn't have as many volunteers?

ewu

for any non-fulltime staffing issues, volunteersATfanimeDOTcom would be the best place to contact. They may be able to guide you from there.
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom

sysadmin

I'll speak for the game shows I run, and the other events I've managed:

It's extremely rare that you can 'apply' to be a host.  I suppose it's how someone can apply to be the president.
In other words, it's possible, but no one really goes through this route.

At the level of conventions, generally hosts are selected from the people who directly produce the events, or one of their close associates.
So, that's not really a viable way.

If you want to help, but don't want the responsibility of being a staffer, then probably volunteering is the best place.