Do you need an Adult?

Started by XXswordserxX, April 13, 2011, 08:56:21 PM

XXswordserxX

I would like to know if you are Fourteen Years-Old, do you need an adult with you? Or can you be on your own.

Hoshichips

youll be fine on your own. but when youre picking up your badge be sure to have some kind of photo ID.

XXswordserxX

Kuudere

Not just any type of photo ID will work. It must be government-issued. According to the registration FAQ:
QuoteQ: What do I need to pick up my badge if I purchased my membership online?
A: Please bring a valid government issued photo IDs like a passport, driver's license, or California ID, along with your electronic postcard that will be attached to your registration account sooner to FanimeCon. School IDs, Driver's/Learner's Permit, and Birth Certificates do not count.

Q: Why don't you take student IDs?
A: Student IDs are inconsistent and not standardized, and as such, we cannot take them.

Q: I am under 18 and do not have a driver's license or passport, what do I do?
A: All FanimeCon members must have valid government issued ID. The only exceptions are those under 18 attending with a parent or legal guardian. The parent or guardian must have valid government issued ID and will be responsible for the minor and all his or her actions. However, without a membership, the legal guardian can only roam the concourse area and are not allowed into badged areas. Do not bring a birth certificate as it does not count.

So, you MAY need an adult with a valid ID in order to pick up a pre-paid badge if you do not have one. I have no idea if they require an ID for badges purchased at-con, though.

And yep, those lines are long. It was about an hour wait for the pre-reg line last year. The line went outside the building and around the corner, the longest I'd ever seen it.

XXswordserxX

Can you purchase the One-day passes in advance, as on a Friday for a Sunday and pay the Sunday price though?

SpiritOfKairi

Nope, doesn't work that way.  If you want to get a one day pass, you go on the day you want admission and pay that day's price.

MyMidnightAffair

If we are minors, could we pick up our badges with a School ID or a Passport?

XXswordserxX

In past post, the quote.

A: Student IDs are inconsistent and not standardized, and as such, we cannot take them.

MyMidnightAffair

Quote from: XXswordserxX on April 13, 2011, 10:02:14 PM
In past post, the quote.

Thanks for the help.
So you do accept Passports?

SpiritOfKairi

Quote from: MyMidnightAffair on April 13, 2011, 10:20:03 PM
Thanks for the help.
Since passports are a form of government ID they are acceptable, yes.

MyMidnightAffair

Quote from: SpiritOfKairi on April 13, 2011, 10:25:47 PM
Quote from: MyMidnightAffair on April 13, 2011, 10:20:03 PM
Thanks for the help.
Since passports are a form of government ID they are acceptable, yes.

Alright, thank you for the clarification.

Rin_chan

Quote from: MeowDesu on April 13, 2011, 09:42:52 PM
Not just any type of photo ID will work. It must be government-issued. According to the registration FAQ:
QuoteQ: What do I need to pick up my badge if I purchased my membership online?
A: Please bring a valid government issued photo IDs like a passport, driver's license, or California ID, along with your electronic postcard that will be attached to your registration account sooner to FanimeCon. School IDs, Driver's/Learner's Permit, and Birth Certificates do not count.

Q: I am under 18 and do not have a driver's license or passport, what do I do?
A: All FanimeCon members must have valid government issued ID. The only exceptions are those under 18 attending with a parent or legal guardian. The parent or guardian must have valid government issued ID and will be responsible for the minor and all his or her actions. However, without a membership, the legal guardian can only roam the concourse area and are not allowed into badged areas. Do not bring a birth certificate as it does not count.

So, you MAY need an adult with a valid ID in order to pick up a pre-paid badge if you do not have one. I have no idea if they require an ID for badges purchased at-con, though.

And yep, those lines are long. It was about an hour wait for the pre-reg line last year. The line went outside the building and around the corner, the longest I'd ever seen it.

What's the electronic postcard? This is the first time I'm the group leader for my friends so I've never heard of this before. I thought all we needed to pick up badges was our ID?

Kuudere

Quote from: Rin_chan on April 14, 2011, 08:58:38 PM
What's the electronic postcard? This is the first time I'm the group leader for my friends so I've never heard of this before. I thought all we needed to pick up badges was our ID?

It's basically like a confirmation letter-type thing. It has all your registration information. Back in the day, they sent out actual postcards through mail to do this, which I'm assuming is where the "postcard" part comes from.

Tsuchimi Rin-chan

An Electronic Postcard is a confirmation E-mail/Postcard having all your paid info and info to where you pick up your badges.  It also along with your Government Issue I.D. Help Expedite and move the pre-reg line faster so people working Reg will not have trouble finding your reg info in the computer.

You will get an E-mail from Fanimecon regarding the Electronic Postcard with all your Pre-Reg info within sometime around 2-3 weeks before the convention. 

Simply Print out the Electronic Postcard and take that with you to show Fanime Registration Staff that Piece of Paper along with your Government Issue photo.  This applies to all People under Pre-Reg (Laminated Badges) and Early Reg (Paper Badges).  You do not need to show I.D.  If you are registering at the Convention Site.
Jason Nagal Estioko
Fanime Con Attendee from 1998 to current 2011. (12 years and counting!) Fanime Con 2006 E-Gaming Department Staffer
Animation on Display (San Francisco's Animation Convention) Video Game Staffer since 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2011.

Tsuchimi Rin-chan

Back in the old days Fanime Sent out Actual Postcards to all Paid Pre-Registered Attendees. 

Early Registration Attendees back then were not able to pick up their Badges on Day Zero.  Only Pre-Reg Attendees could. 

Now with the age of the internet and the convention growing more than 15,000 attendees, its hard to send out individual postcards and it costs money.  Also E-mail is way faster than Snail Mail in getting the Fanime Confirmation Postcards. 

Man those where the days.  Now going to my 12th year at Fanime, I have seen how much the convention grew and evolved to what it is today.
Jason Nagal Estioko
Fanime Con Attendee from 1998 to current 2011. (12 years and counting!) Fanime Con 2006 E-Gaming Department Staffer
Animation on Display (San Francisco's Animation Convention) Video Game Staffer since 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2011.

Himeno

Quote from: XXswordserxX on April 13, 2011, 10:02:14 PM
In past post, the quote.

Why "can't" Fanime take them? All you should need from a "ID" is a name, and maybe the photo - which school IDs provide.

ewu

Quote from: Himeno on April 14, 2011, 10:36:00 PM
Why "can't" Fanime take them? All you should need from a "ID" is a name, and maybe the photo - which school IDs provide.

School IDs are not standardized and do not have any security features. AKA easily faked and therefore not acceptable. School IDs also do not have identifying information or address. Primarily, the school IDs do not give us any reliable way to identify you.
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom

CobaltTempest

Quote from: ewu on April 14, 2011, 10:54:08 PM
Quote from: Himeno on April 14, 2011, 10:36:00 PM

School IDs are not standardized and do not have any security features. AKA easily faked and therefore not acceptable. School IDs also do not have identifying information or address. Primarily, the school IDs do not give us any reliable way to identify you.
I was told by a friend who has attended Fanime for several years that school IDs are accepted nonetheless. As someone who is just a few months shy of being an adult and has pre-registered, it will be a bit problematic if Fanime just stopped accepting school IDs (or never has and my friend was just pulling my leg) as I lack a California State ID and getting a passport by Fanime may be difficult by this point.
Facebook | World Cosplay

Kujo Jotaro - "Jojo's Bizarre Adventure"
Kiryūin Satsuki - "Kill La Kill"
Champion Cynthia - Pokemon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum

ewu

Quote from: CobaltTempest on April 19, 2011, 12:07:00 PM
I was told by a friend who has attended Fanime for several years that school IDs are accepted nonetheless. As someone who is just a few months shy of being an adult and has pre-registered, it will be a bit problematic if Fanime just stopped accepting school IDs (or never has and my friend was just pulling my leg) as I lack a California State ID and getting a passport by Fanime may be difficult by this point.

You should email registrationATfanimeDOTcom or you may encounter delays at registration when you arrive at the convention.
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom

CobaltTempest

Quote from: ewu on April 19, 2011, 01:38:58 PM
Quote from: CobaltTempest on April 19, 2011, 12:07:00 PM

You should email registrationATfanimeDOTcom or you may encounter delays at registration when you arrive at the convention.
I have sent an inquiry to them two days ago. What is the expected timeframe for a reply?
Facebook | World Cosplay

Kujo Jotaro - "Jojo's Bizarre Adventure"
Kiryūin Satsuki - "Kill La Kill"
Champion Cynthia - Pokemon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum