Ways of dancing at B&W Ball?

Started by SpiritOfKairi, May 14, 2011, 08:05:15 PM

SpiritOfKairi

You'll have to forgive me if this is a stupid question, but despite this being my 5th Fanime I've never gone to the ball before. I was wondering, if you don't know the classic dances and likely can't make it to the con's lessons, is it okay to dancer however you like as long as it isn't raunchy and doesn't disturb others?  Again, sorry if it's a stupid question, but I've never gone before and want to make sure I'm following all the rules. Thanks so much in advance!

Rhornez

i wanna know as well, never went to a dance in mah life

Been going to Fanime Since 2008

Wabbit98

Quote from: SpiritOfKairi on May 14, 2011, 08:05:15 PM
You'll have to forgive me if this is a stupid question, but despite this being my 5th Fanime I've never gone to the ball before. I was wondering, if you don't know the classic dances and likely can't make it to the con's lessons, is it okay to dancer however you like as long as it isn't raunchy and doesn't disturb others?  Again, sorry if it's a stupid question, but I've never gone before and want to make sure I'm following all the rules. Thanks so much in advance!

There might not be room on the dance floor as the point of the Ball is to do ballroom type dances.  Fanime does have a nightly dance where people can just dance whatever to loud DJ music.  The instructors and assistants will be at the dance to dance with people who might not feel comfortable with ballroom dancing.
2010 - 2013 :Black and White Ball Staff

2014-2015 : Black and White Ball Department Second

2015 : Extravaganzas Division Second

pokkypok

You can get away with like normal slow-dancing during dances like the waltz, as long as you stay towards the edges. Otherwise, most of the time if someone asks you to dance and you don't know it, then they'll be willing to teach you.

Okach

On the floor partner dancing is strongly encouraged.  Money has been paid to make sure the floor is suitable to move around on without sticking to or eating shoes.  Feel free to ask the people wearing armbands to dance if you're not comfortable.
Staff Instructor since 2010. 
Staff Marketing Lead since 2018
Staff Marketing Second

https://www.facebook.com/FanimeConBWBall/
https://twitter.com/FanimeConBWBall/

SpiritOfKairi

Quote from: pokkypok on May 14, 2011, 11:39:00 PM
You can get away with like normal slow-dancing during dances like the waltz, as long as you stay towards the edges. Otherwise, most of the time if someone asks you to dance and you don't know it, then they'll be willing to teach you.

Quote from: Okach on May 14, 2011, 11:41:35 PM
On the floor partner dancing is strongly encouraged.  Money has been paid to make sure the floor is suitable to move around on without sticking to or eating shoes.  Feel free to ask the people wearing armbands to dance if you're not comfortable.
Oh, I have a partner to dance with and all.  I was simply wondering if it was possible to do something like regular slow dancing instead of doing the fox trot or whatever.  Sorry, I wasn't quite clear about that.

NekoMiki

Actually, for traveling dances (Waltz, Foxtrot, Tango, etc.), more advanced dancers usually dance towards the outside because they can travel more.  If you are going to stay in one spot with slow dancing, try going towards the center to avoid being run into.

As Okach mentioned, there will be experienced dancers there to help only if you want to learn a dance and ask.  It would be helpful to make it to at least one ballroom lesson even if you aren't interested in learning a dance because most of the BWBall rules would be covered in the first 5 to 10 minutes.

Overall, nobody is going to force you to do strictly ballroom at the ball.  As long as you follow the rules and are considerate, you'll be fine.

Wabbit98

Also we have tried to add more dance lessons, and even have private dance lessons at night.  Is there a reason you can't make it to the lessons?

SpiritOfKairi

Quote from: Wabbit98 on May 15, 2011, 03:27:35 PM
Also we have tried to add more dance lessons, and even have private dance lessons at night.  Is there a reason you can't make it to the lessons?
I'm not ruling out that I might be able to make it to a lesson. I was simply asking in case I'm not able to go. But at the moment, no, there's no reason I can't attend a lesson or two. I guess I was mainly trying to cover all the bases just in case I can't go if something comes up.

Wabbit98

Okay, I was just misunderstanding your post.

SpiritOfKairi

Quote from: SpiritOfKairi on May 15, 2011, 04:16:16 PM
Quote from: Wabbit98 on May 15, 2011, 03:27:35 PM
I'm not ruling out that I might be able to make it to a lesson. I was simply asking in case I'm not able to go. But at the moment, no, there's no reason I can't attend a lesson or two. I guess I was mainly trying to cover all the bases just in case I can't go if something comes up.
Quote from: Wabbit98 on May 15, 2011, 09:53:02 PM
Okay, I was just misunderstanding your post.
Don't worry about it.  It could have easily been interpreted either way.

Okach

Oh, we're also trying to not do the @Ball teaching thing.  Please try to come to the lessons if you can, but we have been encouraged not to give on the spot lessons.
Staff Instructor since 2010. 
Staff Marketing Lead since 2018
Staff Marketing Second

https://www.facebook.com/FanimeConBWBall/
https://twitter.com/FanimeConBWBall/

SpiritOfKairi

Quote from: Okach on May 16, 2011, 01:25:15 AM
Oh, we're also trying to not do the @Ball teaching thing.  Please try to come to the lessons if you can, but we have been encouraged not to give on the spot lessons.
I'll definitely try to fit one in.  Hopefully I'll be able to go to both the ball, and a lesson or two =).

Thanks everyone for your help!