[SIGN UPS CLOSED] FANIME SPEED DATING 2011- OFFICIAL THREAD!!

Started by yaki-ika, May 19, 2011, 12:21:23 AM

yaki-ika

**PLEASE READ THE ENTIRE POST BEFORE APPLYING OR ASKING QUESTIONS**

5/22/2011: THE DATE HAS BEEN CHANGED FOR THE SPEED DATING EVENT. THE EVENT WILL BE TAKING PLACE ON FRIDAY AND SUNDAY, NOT FRIDAY AND SATURDAY. PLEASE BE AWARE THAT ON SUNDAY, FANIMECON WILL BE HOSTING THE BLACK AND WHITE BALL. WE APOLOGIZE FOR THE CONFUSION.

Hello FanimeCon attendees, we are excited to announce that FanimeCon Speed Dating will be returning this year! We apologize for the delay.  However, we hope that you will take part in this event!

The FanimeCon Speed Dating event is for 18+ SINGLES who are interested in meeting new people and potentially finding love! This speed dating event will be for boys meeting girls and vice versa. Anyone who is above the age of 18 is eligible.  IDs WILL BE CHECKED AT THE DOOR TO VERIFY AGE. PLEASE BRING AN ID THAT INDICATES YOUR BIRTHDAY (passport, drivers license, state id, etc.) THERE ARE NO EXCEPTIONS.

This event will be held in the Winchester I and II Ballroom on the first floor of the Hilton San Jose, across from the lobby and elevators on Friday, May 27 and Sunday, May 29 from 8:00pm to 12:00am.

You must be registered to participate in this event. To register, complete and email the following application to: [email protected].  Currently, we will not accept applications posted in the forums.  This event is on a FIRST COME FIRST SERVE basis.  Once filled, you will be put on a waiting list.

FanimeCon Speed Dating Registration Information
SIGN UP ONE AT A TIME. DO NOT SIGN UP AS A GROUP IN ONE EMAIL. I NEED ONE EMAIL PER PERSON.

Name (As it appears on your LEGAL ID, not FanimeCon badge name):
Email address:
Other contact information (OPTIONAL):
Favorite anime and why (OPTIONAL):
Additional notes about you:

YOUR CONTACT INFORMATION WILL NOT BE SHARED AND WILL BE USED EXCLUSIVELY BY THIS EVENT.

HOW THE EVENT WILL WORK:

Upon successful registration, a congratulatory email will be sent with your identification number.  Please don't forget your number as it is VERY important.  Everyone who is placed on the waiting list will be notified that they are on the wait list, and will be contacted accordingly as people drop out.

Come to the event with your ID.  A piece of paper to take notes on, a pencil, and a checklist with numbers on it will be provided. Each participant will have an identification number.

You will have three minutes to talk to each person. If you feel like you connected with that person, place a check mark next to their number on the checklist. You may check as many people as you want.

YOU ARE NOT REQUIRED TO GIVE OUT ANY PERSONAL INFORMATION, INCLUDING NAME AND AGE.

At the end of the event, you will have a few minutes to finalize your ideas and checkpoints.  Please RANK THE PEOPLE YOU'RE INTERESTED IN (with 1 being your top preference). Make sure to turn in the checkpoint/ranking paper in.  We will then match all compatible couples accordingly.

NOTE: We will ONLY match people with a mutual interest.  Please note that a match is not guaranteed.

Once the event is over, we will send your matches to you ASAP VIA EMAIL.  If you wish to be notified of possible matches via modality other than email, or NEED to attend on a certain day (because you won't be at the convention on one of the days), please note it in the ADDITIONAL NOTES in your application. We will notify everyone about their potential matches during the convention so you can spend time with your potential partner, if a match is made.

IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS/COMMENTS/SUGGESTIONS, PLEASE POST THEM ON THE FORUMS. DO NOT EMAIL THE ADDRESS GIVEN ABOVE.  This is to minimize repeat questions. We will check the forums daily, so expect an answer within 24 hours. You may also post suggestions that we may take into account for following years to come to ensure a fun and safe event that everyone can enjoy.

IMPORTANT: READ THE ENTIRE POST AND DO NOT SEND ME REQUEST EMAILS ASKING TO CHANGE CERTAIN THINGS ON YOUR REGISTRATION EMAILS. I WILL NO LONGER ACCEPT ANY CHANGES THAT ANYONE EMAILS IN. EVERYTHING MUST BE SENT ON THE ORIGINAL REGISTRATION EMAIL. NO EXCEPTIONS.

THE EVENT IS FULL! SIGN-UPS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL WEDNESDAY 11:59:59PM PST, BUT YOU WILL BE PUT ON A WAITING LIST. FOR EVERYONE WHO DID NOT RECEIVE AN EMAIL FROM SPEEDDATING, PLEASE READ BELOW:

I would encourage all of you to come to the event anyway and try to get in! I will have your contact information, and you will be placed in higher priority than people who just show up at the door. :) If you cannot make it because of the date change, however, please let me know so I can delete you from the waiting list. Also, you can come on either Friday or Sunday!

For wait list members: It doesn't matter what order you emailed me in, all of you are on the wait list. You will not get priority AT THE ACTUAL EVENT if you signed up earlier on the wait list. HOWEVER, if you signed up earlier and someone drops before the convention via email, I will be adding the earlier sign-ups to the actual registered list and contact you via email if such an event occurs. :)  So if you want to come to this event and want a chance of getting in, I would recommend getting to the event early.

The event officially starts at 8. Sign-in starts at 7:45 for officially registered guests. Your sign in will begin as soon as no more registered people are immediately available. Have your government ID ready for me at the door :)

Kzuna

awww man this sounds so fun but clashes with the karaoke event :(

Edit: wait nevermind i just see that it's on for all 3 days. but are the matches announced after the end of each day or at the end of the 3 days?

Necara

Why four hours? Would it really take that long for the entire thing?

God91125

Is it possible to come there late or having to leave early? I signed up, planning on coming Satuday since I'll be at karaoke >_> but yeah wanted to come by for a bit when I has free time or something haha.

yaki-ika

Quote from: Kzuna on May 19, 2011, 02:12:52 AM
awww man this sounds so fun but clashes with the karaoke event :(

Edit: wait nevermind i just see that it's on for all 3 days. but are the matches announced after the end of each day or at the end of the 3 days?

All matches will be announced when I figure out who can be matched with who. I should be able to figure everything out by the end of the day so you'll have time to meet up with your match at the convention. :)

yaki-ika

Quote from: Necara on May 19, 2011, 08:24:47 AM
Why four hours? Would it really take that long for the entire thing?

It shouldn't take four hours. This event is just the last panel of the day in that room, so we get to use it until midnight. It should take around an hour and a half or so.

yaki-ika

Quote from: God91125 on May 19, 2011, 09:19:31 AM
Is it possible to come there late or having to leave early? I signed up, planning on coming Satuday since I'll be at karaoke >_> but yeah wanted to come by for a bit when I has free time or something haha.

No. If you're late, there will be people on a waiting list or waiting at the door the day of the event. I will let those people in instead. Sorry, but its not fair to people who get there on time if I just let your spot go empty for a duration of the event. If you want to leave early, however, that's fine. Just make sure to talk to me at the event.

God91125

Oh ok makes sense :) and I guess if it's not eating up all 4 hours then that makes it more fine as well. xD Awesome should def be there for Saturday or Friday if I'm not in karaoke finals or something. >_>

princesskitty18

finally!
i was wonderin when this was gonna come about
should be fun

those in the karaoke contest: maybe ill see u at the speed dating event as well :D
did this last year, hopefully can do it again this year
cuz it was fun :D yay!
Fanime attendee since 2006
2012 Black & White Ball volunteer
2013-now Black & White Ball Staff

Follow us on Facebook page and Twitter!
- https://www.facebook.com/FanimeConBWBall/
- https://twitter.com/FanimeConBWBall/

Necara

bobbyincognito

I know Fanime usually skews a lot younger, but will be there different age brackets/groups/divisons? I know it's 18 is the minimum age, but I'm a decade older than that. Basically, I don't want to waste mine or anyone's time if there's gonna be a big age gap. I guess my question is, based on last year's turnout would you say that there were at least some people above the age of 24-25?

Roguemagus

When you say "First come first served", do you refer to the order in which you receive the applications or the order in which people show up?

yaki-ika

Quote from: bobbyincognito on May 19, 2011, 10:28:46 PM
I know Fanime usually skews a lot younger, but will be there different age brackets/groups/divisons? I know it's 18 is the minimum age, but I'm a decade older than that. Basically, I don't want to waste mine or anyone's time if there's gonna be a big age gap. I guess my question is, based on last year's turnout would you say that there were at least some people above the age of 24-25?

There are no age brackets this year, but I will definitely think about doing something like that next year. People range in age from 18 to older than yourself, so you shouldn't have to worry too much about age. Also, age is just a number :) Dating someone younger isn't bad! I know several couples with large age gaps that are very happy. But I will say that most of the girls are younger than 24-25. If it really bothers you, please email and I will remove you from the event.

yaki-ika

Quote from: Roguemagus on May 19, 2011, 10:36:06 PM
When you say "First come first served", do you refer to the order in which you receive the applications or the order in which people show up?

Both. People who give me the application and sign up in time will definitely get a spot in the event. If you sign up late, you will be put on a waiting list. If someone who is registered and accepted (aka not on the waiting list) does not show up to the event, the people on the waiting list will be allowed in on a first come first serve basis. That means that if you are on the waiting list, you should come to the event in case of no-shows. They will be placed in higher priority than people who just show up at the door without being put on the waiting list.

Also note that it doesn't matter where you are on the waiting list- all waiting list members are treated the same. You will not get priority if you signed up earlier than other people on the waiting list than other people. It would be too complicated for me to call out names for people on a waiting list at the actual event. Sorry about that :(

God91125

Just to make sureeeeeeee so if we signed up do we have to come both days or is one out of the two days alright? Curious cause getting dropped from waiting list wouldn't be fun D: haha for not going Friday but going Saturday.

princesskitty18

when will we know whether or not we made it into the event?
and can we get the specific days that we asked for?
Fanime attendee since 2006
2012 Black & White Ball volunteer
2013-now Black & White Ball Staff

Follow us on Facebook page and Twitter!
- https://www.facebook.com/FanimeConBWBall/
- https://twitter.com/FanimeConBWBall/

yaki-ika

Quote from: God91125 on May 19, 2011, 11:38:40 PM
Just to make sureeeeeeee so if we signed up do we have to come both days or is one out of the two days alright? Curious cause getting dropped from waiting list wouldn't be fun D: haha for not going Friday but going Saturday.

If you signed up and did not request a specific date, I will assign you a date. You will be notified as soon as the event fills up on what date you will attend the event. You will only attend one date.

yaki-ika

Quote from: princesskitty18 on May 19, 2011, 11:46:14 PM
when will we know whether or not we made it into the event?
and can we get the specific days that we asked for?

If you asked for a specific day and you signed up in time, I will make sure you get that date.

You will be notified on whether or not you made it into the event once the event fills up. That way I can email everyone at once and I can even out the ratio of boys to girls (if not enough people sign up). Sorry for the suspense!

mryekcim

I sent an email but i forgot to put i wanted a Friday date because i could not go Saturday. What do i do?

redrevolver

Quote from: yaki-ika on May 19, 2011, 11:46:53 PM

If you signed up and did not request a specific date, I will assign you a date. You will be notified as soon as the event fills up on what date you will attend the event. You will only attend one date.

Can I match up with you? c:

Haha just kidding