Picking up Pre-Registration

Started by Piichuu, May 25, 2011, 07:33:30 PM

Piichuu

Which do you assume would be the faster option?

Thursday pick-up, arriving there around 4:30 maybe, or
Friday pick-up around 2:30?

AND even though I'm fifteen I should be able to pick up my badge without an adult so long as I have a government issue ID? Just making it clear.
2011 Cosplays -
Mijumaru/Oshawott (Pokemon B/W)
Team Rocket Grunt (Pokemon)

Possibly Red Scout (TF2)

ShikiIchijo

In my opinion, Friday would be the faster route. I picked mine up around the same time last year and there was absolutely no lines. I walked right in and got my badge. :3

As an answer to your second question, You are correct. :D
Cosplay 2017:
Lucifer - Supernatural
Yukine - Noragami
Khadgar - Warcraft
Newt Scamander - Harry Potter
Harry Potter - Harry Potter
Big Mac - My Little Pony

RowanRavensong

Friday is faster, but if you have some time to spare, and some friends to hang out with in line... Thursday is half the fun ;D

Piichuu

2011 Cosplays -
Mijumaru/Oshawott (Pokemon B/W)
Team Rocket Grunt (Pokemon)

Possibly Red Scout (TF2)

FanFicGuru

Um, I don't know what line you guys saw last year but Friday at 2:30 is pretty much terrible. Kids out of school = line ASPLOSION. I would say Thursday, because A) It's fun to wait in the thursday line B) You're not missing anything

Yeah. My 2 cents.
Fanime attendee since 2004
Swap meet staff - 2014
Swap meet co-chair - 2015

wintersweet

If anyone's looking at this for next year, picking up on Thursday is pretty much a nightmare. There's nothing like starting off the first real day of the convention with sore feet due to standing in line for 2.5 hours! I really regretted that ... Just go early Friday morning. (Though I guess if everyone does that, then it'll be just like Thursday. sigh. I love Fanime, but I do wish some things were done differently.)

FanFicGuru

Quote from: wintersweet on May 31, 2011, 11:42:15 PM
If anyone's looking at this for next year, picking up on Thursday is pretty much a nightmare. There's nothing like starting off the first real day of the convention with sore feet due to standing in line for 2.5 hours! I really regretted that ... Just go early Friday morning. (Though I guess if everyone does that, then it'll be just like Thursday. sigh. I love Fanime, but I do wish some things were done differently.)

There is one reason that the lines have been such a nightmare on Thursdays this year and last: letting Early Reg pick up the same night as pre reg. I'm hoping that Registration might re-consider this policy after having two years of pretty intense Thursday night lines.
Swap meet staff - 2014

SOawesomeness

Quote from: FanFicGuru on June 01, 2011, 09:31:56 AM
There is one reason that the lines have been such a nightmare on Thursdays this year and last: letting Early Reg pick up the same night as pre reg. I'm hoping that Registration might re-consider this policy after having two years of pretty intense Thursday night lines.
It's pretty hard to do when you have groups with integrated early/pre-reg types of memberships.
Ellie S.
Head of Registration
FanimeCon - "By Fans, For Fans"
FanmeCon: Twitter | Facebook

Sen

Actually the pre+early pick up was decided upon because groups registrations are mixed with pre and early registration types. It would have been nearly impossible and unfair to separate groups out like that. We could get rid of group registrations!! I kid.  ;D

Yes Day Zero has become quite popular. It's tough on the attendees and the staff involved. We're thinking hard about trying to alleviate it.
Claudia

Chair Radio '15
Fan Services Division メンバーサービス共同本部長
   Member '15
   Director '10-'13
   Assistant Director '08-'09
Registration Staff '05-'07

FanFicGuru

Quote from: Sen on June 01, 2011, 01:54:31 PM

Actually the pre+early pick up was decided upon because groups registrations are mixed with pre and early registration types. It would have been nearly impossible and unfair to separate groups out like that. We could get rid of group registrations!! I kid.  ;D

Yes Day Zero has become quite popular. It's tough on the attendees and the staff involved. We're thinking hard about trying to alleviate it.

Just make group reg's Pre registration only. Once pre reg deadline passed any unpaid members are dropped and they have to early reg.

I'm pretty sure that's how it was a few years ago when I did my group reg...
Swap meet staff - 2014

chifunii

I've heard some people go to Day 0 as early as 7AM...but isn't that a little scary how early it is? Or is the line reealllyy insane?

Unfortunately I have school on that Friday, so I can never get my badge until Saturday morning (no line, btw. none at all).
Hoping that with a new school I'll have that day free...
FanimeCon attendee: 2008-

Himeno

The only reason the lines were a 'nightmare' on Thursday is due to ineffective management of human resources, further complicated by the design of the badges.

Sen

Quote from: Himeno on June 01, 2011, 11:57:07 PM

The only reason the lines were a 'nightmare' on Thursday is due to ineffective management of human resources, further complicated by the design of the badges.

Would you like to explain your observations?
Claudia

Chair Radio '15
   Member '15
   Director '10-'13

Tony

Quote from: Sen on June 02, 2011, 12:03:53 AM

Would you like to explain your observations?
Bait taken. I would also like to hear Himeno's insight. ;D
Retired.
Tyrannical Board Admin, 2003-2015
Webmaster, 2003-2007
Head of MusicFest, which has the best damn staff out there, 2005-2008
Convention Chair, 2009-2011
Director of Guest Relations, 2012
Something with Guest Relations, 2013
Father, 2014

pengy

Please don't say "Remove the names off the badges, and remove badge number because its a waste of time" We had over 6 people working at the computers and a runner at each station to grab your specially made badge for you. We went as fast as possible, but searching through 10k+ badges is going to take a while, even when organized by 50 numbers each. But if you had an early reg, you just head on over towards the badge making table where we had 4 people going through and sticking the names on each badge and putting them in the lanyard for you. If you have any suggestions on how to IMPROVE this, please tell us.

Emu

You might have a hard time picking up your badge if you don't have a driver's license, a California ID, or Passport. ( You have to go to DMV for a CA ID. Long lines and you have to pay $.)  I had an issue with this.  I Pre-registered my kids 14 and 15.  I took them to Fanime and lined up with them.  My kids had their school IDs with them but the said it was unacceptable because they needed a government ID.  I asked them how can a 14 and 15 year old have a license and they shouldn't have to lug their passports around just to go to Fanime.  I told the staff  that their name in on the receipt, their name and picture is on their school ID and their mother is there to check them in with a proof of payment.  What more do they need?  Only after I asked for my money back did they release the badges.  Needless to say I am at a loss.

Fanime. Review your Badge Pick-up Policy.  I dread Fanime 2012 because my kids would want to go. I will happily pay them if they skip it.
Under Age Badge Pick up should be released if the name on the receipt and school ID with name and picture matches.

ewu

Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom

PLUMPKIN

Regarding this situation, I have made extensive posts here:

http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,16425.msg423019.html#msg423019

I further elaborate on my position in the following posts:

http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,16425.msg423868.html#msg423868
http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,16425.msg423912.html#msg423912
http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,16425.msg423983.html#msg423983

In summary,

The Good:
1) Pulling Swap Meet vendor badges.  Lessened the line and lessened the stress on vendors.
2) Group registration.  Also shortened wait times.  Non-group leaders didn't have to worry about waiting in line or having their IDs on them to pick up badges.  This was the only way I got my boyfriend to even purchase a badge (since he didn't want to wait in line for 3 hours, so I waited for him), so thank you! :)
3) Lines opened on time this year, as opposed to 30 minutes late in 2009.  Good job!

My Ideas for improvement:
1) I feel that mailing out badges can generate profit and ease the burden on the staff come Day 0.  I understand that badges were mailed out in the past, and as a convention that is for fans, by fans, I feel that it's only fair that staff members elaborate to those providing feedback as to why this is no longer done. 
2) Provide incentives for volunteering during Day 0.  In the past, Day 0 volunteers got double hours.  Allow volunteers to pick up their badges early as a reward for their time.   Specifically advertise these perks in the days leading up to the convention (i.e. fanime.com's front page, facebook, twitter).  If people know that they can get double volunteer hours and pick up their badges early on Day 0, you will get more than 5 volunteers.  How many non-staff volunteers helped during Day 0 pre-reg this year?

More ideas I thought of now:
1) Resource allocation.  Knowing that several thousand people showed up to Day 0 this year, we should be aware that more people will likely show up next year.  Unfortunately, waiting in line for up to 3 hours is not fun for everyone.  Logistics should anticipate this and start recruiting Day 0 helpers as early as possible to ensure every registration booth is staffed (or even over staffed for that matter).  Just like in war, you send your resources to locations that need it most.  During the hours of 5-830pm on Day 0, pre-reg needs the most help.
2) Dropping early registration Day 0 pick up will help the line congestion.  People who intend on going to Fanime for a whole weekend should be responsible enough to plan early and not miss the final deadline to buy a badge.  Currently, people who pre-register past certain deadlines have to pay a higher price.  We can expand on this by not allowing those who miss the pre-reg deadline to pick up their badge on Thursday night.

With that said, when does Fanime start planning for next year.  When can I sign up to help? I have lots of ideas. ;-D

SOawesomeness

Quote from: PLUMPKIN on June 03, 2011, 02:28:06 PM
With that said, when does Fanime start planning for next year.  When can I sign up to help? I have lots of ideas. ;-D
Fanime starts planning as of the end of Fanime! (or probably earlier, haha)

You can e-mail department heads closer to Fanime (or else it might just get overlooked since we have... 12 months until the next Fanime). So I'd say, e-mail around.... Jan-March. :3 But it depends on what department, as well. (:
Ellie S.
Head of Registration
FanimeCon - "By Fans, For Fans"
FanmeCon: Twitter | Facebook

Sen

Quote from: PLUMPKIN on June 03, 2011, 02:28:06 PM
In summary,

The Good:
1) Pulling Swap Meet vendor badges.  Lessened the line and lessened the stress on vendors.
Actually it did little to help in comparison because there aren't that many swap meet sellers.

2) Group registration.  Also shortened wait times.  Non-group leaders didn't have to worry about waiting in line or having their IDs on them to pick up badges.  This was the only way I got my boyfriend to even purchase a badge (since he didn't want to wait in line for 3 hours, so I waited for him), so thank you! :)
Expressing my own opinion: Your boyfriend should be waiting in line with you!

3) Lines opened on time this year, as opposed to 30 minutes late in 2009.  Good job!
Thanks! Reg staff was really ready to go this time.

My Ideas for improvement:
1) I feel that mailing out badges can generate profit and ease the burden on the staff come Day 0.  I understand that badges were mailed out in the past, and as a convention that is for fans, by fans, I feel that it's only fair that staff members elaborate to those providing feedback as to why this is no longer done. 
This worked when we had less attendees. Now it is impractical. Plus with technology that people can easily obtain these days it increases the chance of counterfeiting.

2) Provide incentives for volunteering during Day 0.  In the past, Day 0 volunteers got double hours.  Allow volunteers to pick up their badges early as a reward for their time.   Specifically advertise these perks in the days leading up to the convention (i.e. fanime.com's front page, facebook, twitter).  If people know that they can get double volunteer hours and pick up their badges early on Day 0, you will get more than 5 volunteers.  How many non-staff volunteers helped during Day 0 pre-reg this year?
As far as I know Day Zero hours are double but I could be wrong.

More ideas I thought of now:
1) Resource allocation.  Knowing that several thousand people showed up to Day 0 this year, we should be aware that more people will likely show up next year.  Unfortunately, waiting in line for up to 3 hours is not fun for everyone.  Logistics should anticipate this and start recruiting Day 0 helpers as early as possible to ensure every registration booth is staffed (or even over staffed for that matter).  Just like in war, you send your resources to locations that need it most.  During the hours of 5-830pm on Day 0, pre-reg needs the most help.
Yea I agree it's not a lot of fun for people. It's tough on staff too. Unfortunately we have a lot of staff that are still in school so it's hard for them to get to Con early on Thursday. I know some people have said that there were only 5 booths open to check people in.  Each booth should have had 2 stations depending on the number of staff available. That is untrue. I saw at least 8 stations with at least 2 staff working each station. Additionally badges and member information are what we consider sensitive material so we only allow trustworthy staff to have access.

2) Dropping early registration Day 0 pick up will help the line congestion.  People who intend on going to Fanime for a whole weekend should be responsible enough to plan early and not miss the final deadline to buy a badge.  Currently, people who pre-register past certain deadlines have to pay a higher price.  We can expand on this by not allowing those who miss the pre-reg deadline to pick up their badge on Thursday night.

Actually you'd be surprised to know that an overwhelming majority of the badges picked up were pre-registration! I was surprised myself. But figuring out a way to effectively reduce the wait time on Day Zero is definitely something we are looking in to.

I'm happy to see that you're interested in staffing. Chiri is right. Planning for the next Fanime has already started. I anticipate that general staff recruiting will take place in the beginning of fall. You can always e-mail hrATfanimeDOTcom and they can direct you to the department(s) that you are interested in.
Claudia

Chair Radio '15
   Member '15
   Director '10-'13