Anyone else let down by this year's Fanime?

Started by xBladeDragonx, May 29, 2011, 01:02:22 AM

PLUMPKIN

I had a pretty good time at this year's Fanime.  Of course there are always a handful of con-goers/staffers that irk me in one way or another, but I'll try not to nitpick.

I think my biggest complaint would have to be the pre-reg badge pickup.  I found it rather shocking that given the number of people in line, there were only 5 booths open on Thursday night.  A few people I was in line with even joked that pick-up of Friday may be shorter.  Thankfully, the group registration process helped with the line somewhat.

Is it possible to just mail out badges?  Fanime grows in attendance each year, and at this rate 5 staffers handing out badges to thousands of people may not cut it.  Is there a reason that badges aren't mailed out?  I understand that IDs are checked when badges are picked up, but only if you're a group leader or group of one.  I think that charging $5-$10 to have badges mailed out would be a great way to make profit, since postage for a single badge isn't going to cost $5.  I would be more than happy to pay that much (or more) if it saves me from 3 hours of standing in line.

If this isn't possible, maybe have more than 5 booths open during pre-reg pickup.  If there's difficulty obtaining bodies, then provide incentives for volunteering, such as picking up your badge without having to in line.  Do they still provide double hours on Thursday?

Anyway, I had fun this year at Fanime.  Staffing something of this magnitude is hard work; I know from experience.  Kudos to everyone who put their time and effort into this.  I'm thinking of possibly staffing/volunteering next year.  Can't wait!

zeroelement

Quote from: PLUMPKIN on May 30, 2011, 09:06:51 PM
I had a pretty good time at this year's Fanime.  Of course there are always a handful of con-goers/staffers that irk me in one way or another, but I'll try not to nitpick.

I think my biggest complaint would have to be the pre-reg badge pickup.  I found it rather shocking that given the number of people in line, there were only 5 booths open on Thursday night.  A few people I was in line with even joked that pick-up of Friday may be shorter.  Thankfully, the group registration process helped with the line somewhat.

Is it possible to just mail out badges?  Fanime grows in attendance each year, and at this rate 5 staffers handing out badges to thousands of people may not cut it.  Is there a reason that badges aren't mailed out?  I understand that IDs are checked when badges are picked up, but only if you're a group leader or group of one.  I think that charging $5-$10 to have badges mailed out would be a great way to make profit, since postage for a single badge isn't going to cost $5.  I would be more than happy to pay that much (or more) if it saves me from 3 hours of standing in line.

If this isn't possible, maybe have more than 5 booths open during pre-reg pickup.  If there's difficulty obtaining bodies, then provide incentives for volunteering, such as picking up your badge without having to in line.  Do they still provide double hours on Thursday?

Anyway, I had fun this year at Fanime.  Staffing something of this magnitude is hard work; I know from experience.  Kudos to everyone who put their time and effort into this.  I'm thinking of possibly staffing/volunteering next year.  Can't wait!
Day 0 is optional Also if you get their early once the line opens up you don't have to wait long.
And heck line talk is fun!
Cosplayer of Host club (nekozawa) and Soul Eater (Free)
Looking for local cosplay groups and new friends.

crystalsoul

Quote from: zeroelement on May 30, 2011, 09:10:25 PM
Quote from: PLUMPKIN on May 30, 2011, 09:06:51 PM

Day 0 is optional Also if you get their early once the line opens up you don't have to wait long.
but i can sympathize with him. if you get stuck in the back of the line it is a long wait :<

i was lucky some friends saved me a spot so the line was not too long Dx

PLUMPKIN

I understand that, but some of us have jobs and can't get in line until after 5pm.  Also, some of us want to get our badges early so we can make the most of the rest of the weekend.  Isn't early badge pick-up part of the point of pre-registration?

I suppose I don't see why badges can't be mailed out.  I think it would be a great way for Fanime to generate more profit by charging an extra $5-$10 for mailing, and I'm sure there are many ways you can incentivize it (i.e. volunteer hours, early badge pickup, cookies) so you can get volunteers!  Just an idea :)

zeroelement

Quote from: PLUMPKIN on May 30, 2011, 09:21:35 PM

I understand that, but some of us have jobs and can't get in line until after 5pm.  Also, some of us want to get our badges early so we can make the most of the rest of the weekend.  Isn't early badge pick-up part of the point of pre-registration?

I suppose I don't see why badges can't be mailed out.  I think it would be a great way for Fanime to generate more profit by charging an extra $5-$10 for mailing, and I'm sure there are many ways you can incentivize it (i.e. volunteer hours, early badge pickup, cookies) so you can get volunteers!  Just an idea :)

Yea they used to mail them out. But they would need to get ready before that. Most the staff and voulenteers at that point i think. Overall normally the line is only supposed to be open 2-3 hours not the many it was.
Cosplayer of Host club (nekozawa) and Soul Eater (Free)
Looking for local cosplay groups and new friends.

bebop

I think Fanime really is dying out, which mostly pertains to the new people and their new ways or organizing.

- Too many Crossplayers this year. What the hell? Hado Gei should be the only exception but aside from that I think I saw more Crossplayer guys than I saw Cosplayer girls.

- Crooks. The scene is getting invaded by more crooks every year. This is really affecting the scene, for it was once a scene with innocence and respect. The scene is getting more creepier in every way possible. I feel like it is getting less safe for the younger generations.

- what was with all the Yoko Ritona cosplayers? Everywhere I went I saw a Yoko cosplayer, or some other Gurren Lagann cosplayer. Don't get me wrong, that Anime was great (uh, back in 2007-2008) and I think it's time to move on or be somewhat original! I remember Fanime 2007-2009 had the best costumes. everybody was pretty different, unique, and creative cosplayers. this year it seemed like everybody just bought their costumes on those cheap cosplay websites and half assed their costumes.

- i hate to say it but i think fanime is just getting messier every year. it is either the people who go, or the staff. I am not sure but one thing for sure is that the schedules not printed out was a major issue for me. I didn't even know where I was going most of the time this year.

- Fanimaid Cafe really sucks.... really, you're just going there to buy overpriced sandwiches and look at maids. and to add on to that, the maids don't even give you good service. they don't check up on their customers. the food sucks.

- The Dance had an AWESOME dancefloor with so much good space and the lights were decent. however, the DJs playing were mediocre in terms of song selection. they didn't know how to really move a crowd throughout the night. I mean, dont get me wrong, it's fun dancing in there for only about 20 minutes until you actually get really bored and leave. The DJs was crap and the music was crap as well. I was in there for a few hours at certain moments and it just seemed to me like the music was never changing, or evolving to more innovating track selections.

- The dealer's hall has nothing new or interesting. it has remained stagnant. I seriously bought nothing in there except a wig so I could get better hair next year.

personally I think most people nowadays aren't into "Anime" anymore. I think that if people stop watching anime or lose interest in anime, then it would greatly affect the bliss of the convention. I dont blame them though, these last couple years the Anime scene has greatly been displeasing. Around 2006-2008 we had the Naruto, Bleach, Fate/Stay Night phase but the cosplayers were pretty awesome. around 2009-2010 there was a load of Code Geass, Vocaloid, and the early upspring of Tohou Cosplayers. but this year, there was nothing new. I hate to say it but there needs to be a new innovating anime that is worth watching and bringing forth the interest again. maybe we're just getting too old for shit

Mod edit: It's called a dance:)
Awakening to otaku inside. ^-^

Kite

I do have to agree with some of the complaints made here.

There is this one thing, but I'm bot sure how to describe it.

If in my crude attempt I would describe it as the energy the con-goers were giving off. Two or three conventions ago, the energy felt spectacular. But last year and this year, well the energy seemed kind of dwindled. But of course it could have just been me. However this was just a thought I had.

otakuya

^ it doesn't feel like an ANIME convention anymore, rather a free-for-all anything-goes gathering.

10 years ago, conventions were nerdy gatherings, meaningful anime discussion panels, world-premiere video rooms, and stuff-you-can't-find-anywhere-else items in the dealers. Nowadays, is it really about anime?

I understand, though, that it is in tune with the times and the anime industry and market. However, the city of San Jose must have benefited financially for all the business the con generated

Rhornez

Quote from: bebop on May 30, 2011, 09:38:11 PM
I think Fanime really is dying out, which mostly pertains to the new people and their new ways or organizing.

- Too many Crossplayers this year. What the hell? Hado Gei should be the only exception but aside from that I think I saw more Crossplayer guys than I saw Cosplayer girls.

- Crooks. The scene is getting invaded by more crooks every year. This is really affecting the scene, for it was once a scene with innocence and respect. The scene is getting more creepier in every way possible. I feel like it is getting less safe for the younger generations.

- what was with all the Yoko Ritona cosplayers? Everywhere I went I saw a Yoko cosplayer, or some other Gurren Lagann cosplayer. Don't get me wrong, that Anime was great (uh, back in 2007-2008) and I think it's time to move on or be somewhat original! I remember Fanime 2007-2009 had the best costumes. everybody was pretty different, unique, and creative cosplayers. this year it seemed like everybody just bought their costumes on those cheap cosplay websites and half assed their costumes.

- i hate to say it but i think fanime is just getting messier every year. it is either the people who go, or the staff. I am not sure but one thing for sure is that the schedules not printed out was a major issue for me. I didn't even know where I was going most of the time this year.

- Fanimaid Cafe really sucks.... really, you're just going there to buy overpriced sandwiches and look at maids. and to add on to that, the maids don't even give you good service. they don't check up on their customers. the food sucks.

- The Dance had an AWESOME dancefloor with so much good space and the lights were decent. however, the DJs playing were mediocre in terms of song selection. they didn't know how to really move a crowd throughout the night. I mean, dont get me wrong, it's fun dancing in there for only about 20 minutes until you actually get really bored and leave. The DJs was crap and the music was crap as well. I was in there for a few hours at certain moments and it just seemed to me like the music was never changing, or evolving to more innovating track selections.

- The dealer's hall has nothing new or interesting. it has remained stagnant. I seriously bought nothing in there except a wig so I could get better hair next year.

personally I think most people nowadays aren't into "Anime" anymore. I think that if people stop watching anime or lose interest in anime, then it would greatly affect the bliss of the convention. I dont blame them though, these last couple years the Anime scene has greatly been displeasing. Around 2006-2008 we had the Naruto, Bleach, Fate/Stay Night phase but the cosplayers were pretty awesome. around 2009-2010 there was a load of Code Geass, Vocaloid, and the early upspring of Tohou Cosplayers. but this year, there was nothing new. I hate to say it but there needs to be a new innovating anime that is worth watching and bringing forth the interest again. maybe we're just getting too old for shit

I saw crooks in the dance, LIKE 6 people standing there obviously they stood out and didnt belong there, they just stared and talked amongst each other .....
and i am creating an innovative anime on my own that wont be released in another 5 years  :-\

Been going to Fanime Since 2008

LordKefka

I don't think I've ever had a bad FanimeCon experience since 2004 when I started going

:V
FanimeCon Press, 2007-2012
FanimeCon Registration Staff, 2007
Fanime Forums Moderator
Anime Boston Press, 2010-2012
AOD Press, 2011
Otakon Press, 2012
Anime Expo Press, 2008-2012
Anime Central Press, 2008
THEManime.org, Staff
Animesou.com, Editor

LordKefka

Ok I want to add on people saying how it doesn't feel like an anime con anymore.

I actually want to agree and disagree. When I was at Anime Boston a month ago, good cosplayers were so scarce I literally had to look through a hundred to even get one.

The problem isn't with the people but with any recent " big hit" anime other than Madoka Magica which I did see a good number at FanimeCon (where as Anime Boston had... 1 )

K-On! was last year and Lucky Star, Haruhi, TTGL, Code Geass and etc were the last previous whatever years.

I'm sure a lot of cosplayers WANT to cosplay as something but problem numero uno is the anime hence why the feeling of that lack of. People follow the fandom here at FanimeCon in respect to what's released in Japan quite closely and I would say probably on the same level of AX if not more since AX is an industry con (not saying that's a bad thing) where many fans are casual and not as closely in tuned with releases overseas as much as they are with domestic licenses and such.

I wish you all were at Anime Boston to see the dry spell. In comparison, you guys are spoiled here.

And the guy talking shit about the maids, what service were you expecting? I was there for both Saturday and Sunday and after visiting about oh I don't know, every table that was set up, there was a maid present either chatting with the people there or playing games with them. I spoke with a maid in her after hours and she worked 12+ hours in the combined two days. Take the time they have to train for their performances on Stage Zero and so forth, I don't know why there should even be any negative attitude towards them.

Fanime Forums Moderator
AOD Press, 2011
Otakon Press, 2012
THEManime.org, Staff
Animesou.com, Editor

Rhornez

anime i havent seen cosplayed yet, Baka To Test To Shoukanjuu

Been going to Fanime Since 2008

bebop

Yeah the crooks are really killing the scene! I do agree too that it is turning too much into a free-style, all around convention.

it's true, I enjoyed the innocence and the bliss of the nerd energy back then. well don't get me wrong, I was only 15-17 years old when I truly enjoyed Fanime the most. maybe yeah, I'm getting too old, but I just get a vibe that the older crowd had much more charisma.

There are definitely crooks there and they seem to be doubling in size and numbers since last year. (last year was when I noticed it was bad, but this year was even WORSE) pretty soon, the scene will be more about "protecting myself, staying safe, gotta stay away from this area and that because there are creeps," blah blah.

I think the original nerdy people (who were awesome) and used to go have been reduced.

honestly it seems like people don't respect the convention anymore

edit:
Quote from: LordKefkaAnd the guy talking shit about the maids, what service were you expecting?

What was I expecting? Not much. I am not expecting a 5 star restaurant service. In fact, maybe I was being a little too critical, since I work at a 4/4.5 star restaurant, and since I do great customer service on the ordinary. So if I sounded too blunt, I apologize. but what do you want me to say? Should I have worded it alternatively?

REPO77

I think I will add my 2 cents here. My big issue was the reservations at the Fairmont. I had Reservations but had to change things. And the website said there were rooms available, but every time I would try to reserve one it would say otherwise. I think some events should have been labeled better. Also there was one dealer in the vendor hall who was a major jerk. I bought something from another table and they did not have a bag for it. So I walked around holding the box. I went into the area selling all the Models and they guy grills me about where I bought it, how much, and damn near cussed me out for not having a bag for it. And instead of being cool, and offering me a bag he tells me to get out. And the item I bought was a TOY, not a freaking model kit. I hope they do not invite that moron back.

DarkfallDC

Before I add to the compaints here, let me say I love Fanime. It's always a nice way to spend my weekend and unwind, especially after the school semester. However, this year, I was feeling a bit let down by the organization.

1. No schedules - Wiith so many events going on, you're bound to miss something important or something you'd like to go to without a schedule to tell you when everything is happening.

2. Congestion - There needs to be some ways to deal with the massive crowds that might occur. I never had a problem with this before, but with the super-heavy rain that occured this year, it was literally shoulder-to-shoulder costume-breaking crowds.

3. Rudeness of rovers - During the dance, my girlfriend wasn't dancing and instead was holding onto both of our badges while I mixed it up. She went outside to get a drink of water, and a rover threatened to pull both of the badges. Also, waiting in lines for events was absolutely ridiculous, especially in regards to the B&W ball (though I'm not sure if those are Fanime officials or not). The people supervising were just obscenely rude to those in line.

4. Supervision at the B&W ball - Very simple, but people should not be running through the dance floor or trying to start conga lines at the ball. That kind of thing needs to be put down fast.

5. Lastly, the DJs at the dances- The beats were super weak this year. The music would not keep flowing like it should for a rave.

However, despite all these, I still had plenty of fun at this year's Fanime. I especially enjoyed plaing Marvel on Stage Zero. It was a nice touch not having to donate tons of money to get up on stage.

Wabbit98

Quote from: DarkfallDC on May 30, 2011, 10:23:30 PM

4. Supervision at the B&W ball - Very simple, but people should not be running through the dance floor or trying to start conga lines at the ball. That kind of thing needs to be put down fast.

We did try to keep it under control, but at times it is difficult to always stop every person doing something like that.  Thank you for your comments and we will take them under consideration for next year.

Thank you,
Kevin
2010 - 2013 :Black and White Ball Staff

2014-2015 : Black and White Ball Department Second

2015 : Extravaganzas Division Second

bebop

Yeah, geez... I think even the rain on Saturday was nature's way of saying this year we were gonna be screwed.

LordKefka

Quote from: bebop on May 30, 2011, 10:14:27 PM
Yeah the crooks are really killing the scene! I do agree too that it is turning too much into a free-style, all around convention.

it's true, I enjoyed the innocence and the bliss of the nerd energy back then. well don't get me wrong, I was only 15-17 years old when I truly enjoyed Fanime the most. maybe yeah, I'm getting too old, but I just get a vibe that the older crowd had much more charisma.

There are definitely crooks there and they seem to be doubling in size and numbers since last year. (last year was when I noticed it was bad, but this year was even WORSE) pretty soon, the scene will be more about "protecting myself, staying safe, gotta stay away from this area and that because there are creeps," blah blah.

I think the original nerdy people (who were awesome) and used to go have been reduced.

honestly it seems like people don't respect the convention anymore

edit:
Quote from: LordKefkaAnd the guy talking shit about the maids, what service were you expecting?

What was I expecting? Not much. I am not expecting a 5 star restaurant service. In fact, maybe I was being a little too critical, since I work at a 4/4.5 star restaurant, and since I do great customer service on the ordinary. So if I sounded too blunt, I apologize. but what do you want me to say? Should I have worded it alternatively?

First off, you didn't even back anything up. All you based it off of was... I don't even know. You just said it sucked and they don't check on their customers. As in what? You want them, with a crowd looping half way around the maid cafe area, to literally every time I checked up to offer whatever star service on your level of expectations while offering service on a 100% volunteer basis? And I'm almost positive you haven't taken the time to sit down and chat with people for hours on end while playing games and providing other people their " bad service" at your amazing half a dozen star place you work at.

Also the food they don't make. You can thank the Hilton for whatever food and price they charge before you start ignorantly blaming the maid cafe itself in that aspect.

You can also say whatever you want. Just make sure you get the facts straight next time before wording whatever you wanted to word.
Fanime Forums Moderator
AOD Press, 2011
Otakon Press, 2012
THEManime.org, Staff
Animesou.com, Editor

LordKefka

Quote from: DarkfallDC on May 30, 2011, 10:23:30 PM
Before I add to the compaints here, let me say I love Fanime. It's always a nice way to spend my weekend and unwind, especially after the school semester. However, this year, I was feeling a bit let down by the organization.

1. No schedules - Wiith so many events going on, you're bound to miss something important or something you'd like to go to without a schedule to tell you when everything is happening.

2. Congestion - There needs to be some ways to deal with the massive crowds that might occur. I never had a problem with this before, but with the super-heavy rain that occured this year, it was literally shoulder-to-shoulder costume-breaking crowds.

3. Rudeness of rovers - During the dance, my girlfriend wasn't dancing and instead was holding onto both of our badges while I mixed it up. She went outside to get a drink of water, and a rover threatened to pull both of the badges. Also, waiting in lines for events was absolutely ridiculous, especially in regards to the B&W ball (though I'm not sure if those are Fanime officials or not). The people supervising were just obscenely rude to those in line.

5. Lastly, the DJs at the dances - The beats were super weak this year. The music would not keep flowing like it should for a rave.

However, despite all these, I still had plenty of fun at this year's Fanime. I especially enjoyed plaing Marvel on Stage Zero. It was a nice touch not having to donate tons of money to get up on stage.

No schedule was the biggest issue for people.

Congestion - there were... a lot of people this year.

Rudeness of Rovers - well I have to admit I even got that attitude at the Yuya/FLOW concert. I watched one toss a girl out for recording part of Yuya's concert. That said, the guy then went to the side and told a few other staffers he just had to throw someone out for recording the concert and high-fived them cause he did it. THAT wasn't appropriate.

Didn't go to B&W ball or Dance so I can't comment.

Fanime Forums Moderator
AOD Press, 2011
Otakon Press, 2012
THEManime.org, Staff
Animesou.com, Editor

Ryo_Hellsing

Quote from: bebop on May 30, 2011, 09:38:11 PM

I am confused on this. Why is this in the problem thread? I mean so what if there was more male crossplayers this year. Go them for having the guts to do it.