Convention Center Expansion

Started by NealBomBad, September 30, 2011, 10:39:24 AM

NealBomBad

Just thought I'd share this link from Hunt Connect (the company doing the expansion for the convention center). They have a webcam of the progress of the project. Hope you got shots in from of the cool library because it will be gone soon!

https://www.hunt-connect.com/sjcc/Pages/webcam.aspx

[Edit by MPLe: http://www.sanjose.org/content/san-jose-convention-center-expansion-and-renovation-opening-fall-2013 is Team San Jose's full construction page. It has the webcam here as well as random updates.]

Super No 1

I loved taking photos next to the building.  Oh well.   :P
Nergene A.
-super-no1.com - (Owner)
-J!-ENT - (Staff Photographer)
-Cosplay Underground - (Cosplay pictorials)

heeroyuy135

Too bad the new building won't be available for Fanime usage until 2014

M

Quote from: HeeroYuy135 on October 12, 2011, 09:11:33 PM
Yeah. I'm personally excited about the changes, but will miss the fountain out front. I (jokingly) ask to have the fountain water colored every so often. :X
FanimeCon Head of Marketing & Director of Communications (2008-Current)
(Former Fan Services Director, Registration Staff, & Volunteer)
Have questions (about almost anything)? Message me!

Dany

Quote from: MPLe on October 14, 2011, 02:40:50 AM
Quote from: HeeroYuy135 on October 12, 2011, 09:11:33 PM
Yeah. I'm personally excited about the changes, but will miss the fountain out front. I (jokingly) ask to have the fountain water colored every so often. :X

Wow. That WOULD be cool. That pic looks like green ecto-slime. Perfect for Ghostbusters. :D
2012 Costumes (or so we hope!)
Ayukawa, Miime, Oscar, Yuria, D'Eon

G.I.R

Maybe they can extend the building to the curb, so that the protesters have no place on that side of the street to protest!  jk XD

otakuya

I don't think they will get rid of the fountain because of the new building; the project information said there will be minimal impact to the existing convention center (except maybe for the eyesore construction...)

M

Quote from: Otakuya on October 15, 2011, 02:36:20 AM
I don't think they will get rid of the fountain because of the new building; the project information said there will be minimal impact to the existing convention center (except maybe for the eyesore construction...)
Could be, but the last I heard, it was going to end up looking like this with this being the construction being done now. I'm sure they still can change the minds though. :D
FanimeCon Head of Marketing & Director of Communications (2008-Current)
(Former Fan Services Director, Registration Staff, & Volunteer)
Have questions (about almost anything)? Message me!

BunofGovt

Well, the grassy steps to the right look like they'd be a fine spot for pictures ...
Life is too important to take seriously.  Seriously.

heeroyuy135

The problem I can see with this construction is the reduced space for cosplay gatherings. The right side that's closed off had some gatherings, especially some of the larger gatherings like Hetalia. I hope the cosplay staff can get around this for the next two years.

otakuya

^ but imagine all the space Fanimecon can use after the construction is finished (a lot less line headaches for video rooms, for example).

In the meantime, maybe have more cosplay gatherings at Cesar Chavez plaza or Discovery Meadow instead of in front of the construction zone

Rebeccakh

Quote from: Otakuya on October 29, 2011, 01:34:02 AM
^ but imagine all the space Fanimecon can use after the construction is finished (a lot less line headaches for video rooms, for example).

In the meantime, maybe have more cosplay gatherings at Cesar Chavez plaza or Discovery Meadow instead of in front of the construction zone
Exactly, there's a HUGE grassy park across the street from the con I don't think enough people utilize. The .hack cosplay group I was with went back there and there was maybe like... two other cosplayers out there and its super pretty : T

Tsu

Quote from: MPLe on October 15, 2011, 02:54:47 AM
Quote from: Otakuya on October 15, 2011, 02:36:20 AM
Could be, but the last I heard, it was going to end up looking like this with this being the construction being done now. I'm sure they still can change the minds though. :D

Oh dear. I hope they don't actually end up having it look like the first image linked. I'm not sure what's going on with the excessive number of walkways, but I'll miss the fountain too if they get rid of it. The fountain at the old Santa Clara convention was gorgeous and I love the one we have now too.
Fanimecon Music Video Contest Department Second 2016-17
Fanimecon Music Video Contest Department Head 2014-15, 2018-2019

otakuya

Hmm...? (Look at the screen on the far right)

E3? lol

kookiekween99

Quote from: 11/21/11 Project Update
​The San Jose Convention Center expansion and renovation project continues to progress on schedule. September saw progress in both the Design/Build and construction components of the project, including the completion of abatement, exterior site clearing, and the commencement of soft-gutting.

In October, Cleveland Wrecking was able to disconnect the stairs, beams and slab from the existing Convention Center. Construction crews were then able to remove small sections of the cantilevered roof piece by piece and upon completion, moved to the main section of the roof eventually letting it 'collapse' inward.

The skinning of the building started in mid October and continued into November. Demolition of the superstructure is now complete and demolition of the substructure has commenced and will continue through December.

As the first phase to reactivate and open up the plaza in front of the Convention Center, the existing fountain will soon be filled in. More details on this exciting and innovative design component of the expansion and renovation to come in 2012.

With our commitment to an eco-friendly and environmentally responsible construction process, 95% of demolition spoils will be recycled, equating to approximately 1,300 truck-loads of material. As a result there will be a noticeable increase in truck traffic to and from the construction site via the San Carlos Street entrance during the final stages of demolition. In addition, the Old MLK Library concrete will be crushed on-site and re-used as aggregate fill. No road closures are scheduled at this time and all construction activity will be contained within the fenced area of the Old MLK Library site.
The San Jose Convention Center remains open during construction and will celebrate a grand reopening in Fall 2013.

I wonder why they want to get rid of the fountain?
ASAHiCon Registration Head - '10-'12
ASAHiCon Web Head - '11-'13
FanimeCon Attendee - '10-Forever
FanimeCon Info Desk Minion - '14

AngrySean

I like most of the plans for the changes to the convention center and think they look great. However, I would miss the fountain greatly if they get rid of it.  I understand why they might want it gone, since fountains can become quite expensive to maintain, but it makes such a great backdrop for cosplay photos.

Just for a fun little bit of comparison, I found a picture of the SJCC from around the time it was finished. (The structural engineering firm who designed the convention center didn't list an exact date for the picture.)

How many differences can you spot?

Dany

Quote from: AngrySean on December 08, 2011, 01:49:44 AM

How many differences can you spot?

Both the Hilton and Marriott are not built yet, though the Marriott's place is earmarked apparently. That's the most obvious difference to me. :)

As for a date estimate for the picture: I would estimate somewhere around 1989 or 1990. This guess comes from a few places, since I had a hard time finding the ending construction date for the convention center itself. First, I took a look at the cars on the road, the body styles line up with the ones I've seen in that general time frame.  Then, I looked up the opening dates on the hotels. I couldn't find one easily for the Marriott, but the Hilton has it out there that they opened in 1992. Since the hotels are barely more than flat ground at this point (especially the Marriott), it's safe to infer it's after the convention center was done, but before the construction on the hotels started. A building of the size of the hotels can easily take a good year or so to build, so..

I'm glad to see if someone finds more than me though :)
2012 Costumes (or so we hope!)
Ayukawa, Miime, Oscar, Yuria, D'Eon

otakuya

^ The other difference is the old King Library which is now gone.
There's now a tall building behind the convention center (the corner of Balbach and Almaden Blvd).
Also, the old Tech Museum was right across the street from the King Library, but you can't see it from the picture.

I believe the convention center was built in 1989 during the tech boom as simply the San Jose Convention Center.
The official name now is the San Jose McEnery Convention Center from former mayor Tom McEnery, who brought many companies and the Sharks to San Jose in the early 90s. No one really calls it the McEnery Center or anything.

TC X0 Lt 0X

Well the Fountain is Officially gone.
Saw them destroying it over the course of a Week while passing by on deliveries.
How are all them Weaboos supposed to break their legs now?
*Sad Face*

"Never beg. You earn. By Winning.
Or else you won't get anything..."

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

renalcul

Quote from: TC_X0_Lt_0X on January 02, 2012, 12:45:06 AM
Well the Fountain is Officially gone.
Saw them destroying it over the course of a Week while passing by on deliveries.
How are all them Weaboos supposed to break their legs now?
*Sad Face*
By hobbling eachother.