Convention Center Expansion

Started by NealBomBad, September 30, 2011, 10:39:24 AM

Mi Feng

Quote from: Stormfalcon on January 03, 2013, 10:20:09 PM
Quote from: Rhornez on January 03, 2013, 04:38:44 PM
RIP Fountains.

someone go check how it looks now and take pictures

Problem is, a large part of the fountain area (including where the fountains were) are fenced off as part of the construction area.  I mean, you could hold a camera over fence level if you really wanted to, but you won't get anything really interesting since the late, unlamented Huckleberry Farm (the flowerbed that temporarily replaced the fountain last year) is now obliterated and used to pile construction materials and such onto.

Do you by chance know what the spot of the ex-fountains is going to replaced with permanently?

eralston

Quote from: Mi Feng on January 06, 2013, 01:47:16 AM
Quote from: Stormfalcon on January 03, 2013, 10:20:09 PM
Quote from: Rhornez on January 03, 2013, 04:38:44 PM
RIP Fountains.

someone go check how it looks now and take pictures

Problem is, a large part of the fountain area (including where the fountains were) are fenced off as part of the construction area.  I mean, you could hold a camera over fence level if you really wanted to, but you won't get anything really interesting since the late, unlamented Huckleberry Farm (the flowerbed that temporarily replaced the fountain last year) is now obliterated and used to pile construction materials and such onto.

Do you by chance know what the spot of the ex-fountains is going to replaced with permanently?

The last concept image I saw was

Evan Ralston

Assistant Director of Guest Relations

Rhornez

that will look so nice ;_; the cosplayers, its beautiful.... i wish i was younger, turning 20 feels strange

Been going to Fanime Since 2008

otakuya

^ but as for this year, it's shaping up to be an ugly venue for picture taking because of the construction and the limited space; unless you count Plaza de Cesar Chavez

Rhornez

Quote from: Otakuya on January 07, 2013, 10:50:48 PM
^ but as for this year, it's shaping up to be an ugly venue for picture taking because of the construction and the limited space; unless you count Plaza de Cesar Chavez
Soon....

Been going to Fanime Since 2008

MikanCos

They should seriously build another fountain somewhere else though,  it was really beautiful.  I guess the problem might have been people playing in it or something.  :'(
Fanime Mascot Candy (5 years)
Previously StageZero Performer (Now SZ Staff!)

RitsukaUzumaki

Quote from: 01 on March 27, 2013, 04:47:19 PM
They should seriously build another fountain somewhere else though,  it was really beautiful.  I guess the problem might have been people playing in it or something.  :'(

I wanted to see the fountain so badly~ But my first Fanime was last year and it had already been filled up with dirt and plants.. T^T So disappointing...

I wish we could all like send in suggestions for a new fountain or something.. -.-'
FanimeCon 2014: Uchiha Madara(Pre-Konoha), Uchiha Mikoto(Young), Trancy Alois, and one more undecided.

http://ritsukauzumaki.deviantart.com
http://www.facebook.com/RitsukaUzumaki?fref=ts
http://phantomleafpro.deviantart.com

Alejandro Cuba

Nice as fountains are for taking pictures and general beauty, there would be the chance that the city wouldn't want to pay for the water if the city budget gets tight.  But if you guys are curious, I believe I remember there being in ground geysers in the little park near Fanime across from the Fairmont.  They aren't always on, but they're pretty cool and you're actually allowed to play in these ones when they're on, which they aren't always.

Anyways, since I was in SJ last weekend I decided to drop by the construction site since I haven't seen the place since last Fanime.  It's really coming along from what I can see! A lot of the building structure and exterior seems to be up, which is good.  I couldn't get a peek at the new lobby sadly, still excited about it though.  Hopefully the construction company puts up more progress pictures soon.  Now if only SJ would start accepting plans for ways to build out that darned balloon!

Stormfalcon

I have been quietly updating my Google+ album for this current year, and the last couple of shots (as of 3/27/13) are notable in that they've started tearing out the courtyard area.
My Cosplay Photography gallery, including FanimeCon 2001-2014:
http://stormfalcon.smugmug.com/CosplayPhotography

My DeviantArt Page:
http://stormfalcon.deviantart.com

phr34kish

Holy crap! Is that a bamboo garden behind those doors? Where did they put THAT beauty. I wanna go see it this year!

CeruleanRogue

Quote from: Stormfalcon on March 28, 2013, 06:47:20 AM
I have been quietly updating my Google+ album for this current year, and the last couple of shots (as of 3/27/13) are notable in that they've started tearing out the courtyard area.

Thanks for the photos.  This will be my first Fanime, and while the construction is unfortunate, it certainly does look promising for future events.  I can't wait to see the area for myself.  ^_^

MikanCos

Quote from: RitsukaUzumaki on March 27, 2013, 05:54:24 PM
Quote from: 01 on March 27, 2013, 04:47:19 PM

I wanted to see the fountain so badly~ But my first Fanime was last year and it had already been filled up with dirt and plants.. T^T So disappointing...

I wish we could all like send in suggestions for a new fountain or something.. -.-'

We should send in suggestions for a fountain that reuses its water to where it goes in a constant cycle. Since they removed it from the entrance area then we could suggest for them to have a little area reserved for a fountain.

M

Going to put this in the main post of this thread, but here is the website where you can get up-to-date information....

http://www.sanjose.org/content/san-jose-convention-center-expansion-and-renovation-opening-fall-2013
FanimeCon Head of Marketing & Director of Communications (2008-Current)
(Former Fan Services Director, Registration Staff, & Volunteer)
Have questions (about almost anything)? Message me!

Nina Star 9

Quote from: phr34kish on March 28, 2013, 08:59:12 AM
Holy crap! Is that a bamboo garden behind those doors? Where did they put THAT beauty. I wanna go see it this year!
It looks like window decals to mask whatever is behind those windows (construction, probably). You can see light around the edges. (look at the top edge, where there are windows that obviously lead to outside, but the bamboo just...stops. It also looks quite flat)

Though, a bamboo garden would be amazing if they actually had one.

I'm more wondering about those stone and wood steps you can see in the pics with the "bamboo garden"...those haven't always always been there, have they? (lol, how long have I been going to Fanime? since before it moved to this location? ;P) Those would be amazing for cosplay photos. Where in the CC are those located?

Without the fountains/big grassy patch/mostly those big stone balls, I'm not sure where I'm going to park myself for photogs this year! Maybe those stone and wood steps will have to be put to use...

azreale

Quote from: Nina Star 9 on March 28, 2013, 06:58:40 PM
Quote from: phr34kish on March 28, 2013, 08:59:12 AM
It looks like window decals to mask whatever is behind those windows (construction, probably). You can see light around the edges. (look at the top edge, where there are windows that obviously lead to outside, but the bamboo just...stops. It also looks quite flat)

Though, a bamboo garden would be amazing if they actually had one.

I'm more wondering about those stone and wood steps you can see in the pics with the "bamboo garden"...those haven't always always been there, have they? (lol, how long have I been going to Fanime? since before it moved to this location? ;P) Those would be amazing for cosplay photos. Where in the CC are those located?

Without the fountains/big grassy patch/mostly those big stone balls, I'm not sure where I'm going to park myself for photogs this year! Maybe those stone and wood steps will have to be put to use...
Those "steps" are next to and around the stairs in the main entry hall, by where the escalators were/are? that room is the good old convention center entry way. sniff, wonder where the peace-bonding and gathering stalls will be with those steps in the way, BUT  true to the a fore mentioned point, they sure will make a nice spot for pictures!
Fanime '14:::

Sango (Inuyasha)
Vivaldi (HnKnA)
Tsubaki (Future Diary)
003 (Cyborg 009)
Chaika (Hitsugi no chaika)
Goth Annie (League of Legends)
Ashura (Tsubasa)
Catwoman (maybe)

Stormfalcon

Yeah, those steps are indeed new, put in when they renovated the lobby area.  The bamboo garden decals were put in place as a temporary deal so people wouldn't have to see stuff outside all torn up and dusty during the construction.  One other thing that should be noted would be the installation of glass doorways in the lower level of the concourse, between the lobby area and the two hotels bookending the center.
My Cosplay Photography gallery, including FanimeCon 2001-2014:
http://stormfalcon.smugmug.com/CosplayPhotography

My DeviantArt Page:
http://stormfalcon.deviantart.com

Nina Star 9

If the bamboo decals are still there, I bet every cosplayer from a ninja, samurai, or other type of anime that would benefit from a traditional Japanese setting will be wanting pics in front of the "forest"!

Ah, so the steps are in that main area now? Huh. This'll be interesting. I bet they will be quite popular, and people will be fighting over spots on them! I have a feeling that the con is going to seem a -lot- more crowded this year, with the reduced space and changed layouts... can't wait until this renovation is done!

MikanCos

now that they have a new grand ballroom coming, the black & white ball would be a blast! a balcony? every classy cosplayer would be hanging out there!! :D

M

Quote from: 01 on March 29, 2013, 08:10:49 AM
now that they have a new grand ballroom coming, the black & white ball would be a blast! a balcony? every classy cosplayer would be hanging out there!! :D
It is way too early to plan where things will be. :P

What if we decide to play Cosplay Settlers of Catan or something?!*

*Joke
FanimeCon Head of Marketing & Director of Communications (2008-Current)
(Former Fan Services Director, Registration Staff, & Volunteer)
Have questions (about almost anything)? Message me!

MikanCos

Quote from: MPLe on March 29, 2013, 11:32:29 AM
Quote from: 01 on March 29, 2013, 08:10:49 AM
It is way too early to plan where things will be. :P

What if we decide to play Cosplay Settlers of Catan or something?!*

*Joke

Pssh..go eat something ..(unrelated comment)