2012 FMV Contest New Stuff!

Started by Marin Jei El, January 17, 2012, 11:35:15 PM

Marin Jei El

Sure thing! We will be posting the initial numbers in the morning since everyone has until Midnight tonight. By initial numbers I mean that sometimes we may move an entry into a different category when we do the Judge's Panel depending on if there is an over all consensus.
Fanime Music Video Contest Dept. Head
Any Questions or Comments send to:
[email protected]

Tsu

Any updates for us on the numbers?  :)
Fanimecon Music Video Contest Department Second 2016-17
Fanimecon Music Video Contest Department Head 2014-15, 2018-2019

Marin Jei El

Alright ladies and gents,
After processing every entry and making sure that they all worked we have this year's numbers. We had a smaller turn out than years past, yet higher percentage of international entries this year as well.

We have processed a total of 52 entries this year:
Action: 21
Comedy: 08
Drama: 16
Experimental: 5

Exhibition: 2

While the total is currently final, the amount in each category may change as some entries may be re-categorized during the Judges Panel. I hope this will help you out if you are planning a strategy for next year. We'll continue to do this each year if you want us too. Hope it helps. ;D
[email protected]

Tsu

Huh! That's a bit of a drop from the estimate you posted, yeah. I find it helpful to know all this, thanks. If you don't mind me asking, is it normal for entry #s to fluctuate like this? Could it partially be due to the glitch when posting the contest on AMVs.org? Thanks for all you do!

Marin Jei El

The entries do tend to fluctuate from year to year, but I think the glitch we had on AMV.org may have been a big factor. This hasn't been the lowest number in recent years, but no where near the almost 100 entries we had a few years ago.
[email protected]

Freeden

So I guess not many people submit just for exhibition? I am also curious now as to how many AMV's will be shown in competition. Will you guys show more AMV's in the categories with more submissions? Or is there an even spread between each category. Either way, I can't complain about the lower number of submissions, just means my chances are better. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Marin Jei El

The overall rule is time and quality.
We have a certain amount of time that we can make the show. Categories with more entries tend to have more "high end" submissions so we try to accommodate for that, however, we do try to have at least 5 videos per category, then we add on more in that category while watching the overall length of the show. This can change if say some of the higher scoring entries are much longer. In that case we may only add 1 or two extra beyond the 5 minimum, versus having enough time to add a higher number of shorter entries.

I hope this sheds some light on why we tend to have longer run times for Action and Drama. These are the most popular submissions. Sometimes we put EVERYTHING we get into Comedy or Experimental and still barely hit the 5 entry mark. I know that Comedy is the most difficult to do, but if done right, it's one of the main things that the audience tells us they're looking forward to. Ironically, we tend to get the fewest entries for that each year. The audience always say they want more Comedy. Perhaps by creating awareness in the AMV community, we can give them what they want, right? I hope so. This is why we have been trying to show everyone some of what goes into making the show.  ;D
[email protected]

Marin Jei El

Forgot to mention, we don't get very many exhibition videos each year. Generally less than 3 or not at all. We tend to give priority to the contest editors first, so many times the exhibition submissions to make it to the main show. That's not to say that they can't be shown at Con though.
[email protected]

Imagine

Out of curiosity, how soon will we know if our video has made it in?
Fanime 2012 FMV Contest, Experimental Category:
3rd Place Judge's Award
2nd Place Audience Award.

Marin Jei El

We will be holding the Judges Panel this weekend. Emails will follow within a couple days after that. You should expect something by Tuesday at the latest.
[email protected]

Tsu

Woohoo! Thanks for keeping us so much in the loop this year. Here's an extra question: is there any chance that the judges' totals for our vids might be available to us after the con? (At least of our own videos, asking for all to be posted is a bit much I know.) If it's too much trouble I get it but I've always personally wondered about how my vids have fared.

Marin Jei El

Sure thing. Send us a request via email or in person after the show and we can certainly do that for you.
[email protected]

gurbaby73

I feel super out of place but by chance did the deadline pass? On the main website it just kept saying to stay tuned for dates :/

kyouryokusenshi

Yes it was on the 30th.  :-[ The judging was over the weekend. I haven't received any emails yet.

Tsu

Quote from: Marin Jei El on May 04, 2012, 10:11:35 AM
We will be holding the Judges Panel this weekend. Emails will follow within a couple days after that. You should expect something by Tuesday at the latest.

Are the finalist emails still on schedule/coming today?

khyaoiness

were the emails sent?
i deleted everything in my spam folder and i hope i didn't miss it
Kingdom Hearts is awesome
as cosplaying as it makes it even better ^^
~Fantasy is always there when reality fails you~

Marin Jei El

They are on schedule. We just had the Judge's Panel on Sunday and are now putting together the show schedule. Once that is done, we will be emailing everyone. For those of you worried about deleting your spam folders... no worries. We're sending them all out tomorrow. You should expect your emails by tomorrow evening at the latest.  ;D
[email protected]

Imagine

The anticipation, it is killing me >_<
Fanime 2012 FMV Contest, Experimental Category:
3rd Place Judge's Award
2nd Place Audience Award.

Freeden

khyaoiness

So we should get it sometime soon right?
I'm so nervous right now it's not even funny
Kingdom Hearts is awesome
as cosplaying as it makes it even better ^^
~Fantasy is always there when reality fails you~