No plastic bags allowed in FANIMECON?

Started by Hachimitsu, January 25, 2012, 04:55:12 PM

Hachimitsu

yeah after reading the new rules on fanime con's both artist alley and SWAP meet..
im kinda worried how people are going to carry their merchandise!

I know I can give out the safeway bags but then I have to charge 10 cents for them? even if they are used???

well I wanted to ask that since Im not allowed to havea 40%

new law states: "You are unable to provide free single-use carryout plastic bags to customers at check out. You may sell reusable bags or 40 percent post-consumer recycled content paper bags. Post-consumer recycled content paper bags must be sold for a minimum price of 10 cents each, and the sale must be itemized separately on the sales receipt."

I have a bag that I made that is made of 100% recyclable material (black paper > plastic sleave > and Blue Ribbon Handles!) and it lights up electronically...
I know this sounds weird but... does it count as re-useable bag?

sayonararollingstar

I was just going to ask this, too! I plan on selling at the artist alley and a lot of people want plastic bags/covers to put their prints and other merchandise in them. :< Guess I have to find a new website where I can get recyclable paper bags.

Hachimitsu

they used to be in Daiso down in both san francisco and the one in colma but they discontinued which made me sad..

hmm
ya know sayonararollingstar, I thought the plastic bag was a great idea because someone said to me that if they buy your things and you put them in a clear bag. Other people will find out about your items (and have a high interest to purchase) through someone else!

Dany

Here is my thinking; It may be in the best interest all around if people are encouraged to bring their own carrying options when they are planning to buy. I've been seeing signs all over the place announcing the ban for some time, so it's not like you're telling people anything new. Plus, I see people at events like SDCC that bring backpacks, art sleeve binders, and plastic tubes when they are out to buy stuff all the time. Yes, it's a bit troublesome to some, but I've noticed the serious "shopping" types tend to be prepared with their own ways of protecting their bought stuff, rather than rely on what is given to them onsite.  Fanime could announce it through their usual channels, but if you advertise yourself at all, you can make people aware of the new rules through your own channels as well. If people know, they are usually prepared.

Based on what I have read, however, this law does not seem apply to print covers/plastic sleeves. The reason I say this is that it could be easily argued that these are not single-use bags as the law describes them, and that in fact, the items tend to say inside these covers for indefinite periods of time. Think about comic collectors, for example.

I'm no lawyer, but that's my thinking. Speaking of which...I wonder if we will see plastic bags for the registration materials!
2012 Costumes (or so we hope!)
Ayukawa, Miime, Oscar, Yuria, D'Eon

Hachimitsu

uhm, I did'nt see any signs in the fanime convention of 2011, and I never watch the news.. also i live in san francisco, so even if its already old news, this is kinda new to me!...

hey does this also applies to swap meet as well?
and yes Iv'e seen a few people starting to "bring their own bags!...",

Dany

Quote from: Hachimitsu-ink on January 26, 2012, 01:49:43 PM
uhm, I did'nt see any signs in the fanime convention of 2011, and I never watch the news.. also i live in san francisco, so even if its already old news, this is kinda new to me!...

There wouldn't have been anything last year because I think the law didn't come into effect until January, at least, not in San Jose. I only saw signs around San Jose announcing in stores that they would be banning bags start popping up in the last three months of the year or so.

Plus, what you see will really depend on what county you are in, because each county will be drawing up its own ordinances, which may have exceptions, etc. 

Quotehey does this also applies to swap meet as well?
and yes Iv'e seen a few people starting to "bring their own bags!...",

I would assume it could impact both events, but I suppose the department staff will have to review and see how to address it.

TC X0 Lt 0X

In my opinion you should probably bring your own bags anyways. Getting a plastic bag would be nice and all, but you will have to hold them in hand regardless. Paper bags are worse, quite prone to ripping and not easy to carry in large quantities.
I personally bring a duffle bag with a strap so I can carry everything I buy in it and keep my hands free. I would not suggest it for more fragile things like print outs unless you have something hard and durable to put them in as well, like a binder or something, but you can carry a lot more in a duffle bag and you don't have to worry about it ripping or tearing like with plastic/paper.

To Quote Family Guy:
Duffle Bag - "HEFTY, HEFTY, HEFTY."
Paper Bag - "Wimpy, wimpy, wimpy..."

For you vendors though, it would probably be a good idea to bring a few paper bags also, as there will be people without bags of their own. It would be best to ask customers if they have bags of their own that they can store their purchases in as well, instead of assuming they will need a bag. That should cut down on the need to give out those awful paper bags.

And I don't know about those Bags OP, I'm no expert after all. I sure as hell would want a bag like that though, it would be just as worth it as the purchase itself.

My 2cp

"Never beg. You earn. By Winning.
Or else you won't get anything..."

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

Dany

Quote from: TC_X0_Lt_0X on February 01, 2012, 01:52:36 PM
To Quote Family Guy:
Duffle Bag - "HEFTY, HEFTY, HEFTY."
Paper Bag - "Wimpy, wimpy, wimpy..."

Indeed. Not only more durable, but you can more or less choose the type of bag you are comfortable carrying, be it a duffle, a handle bag from [insert random store here], a violin case..whatever suits your fancy!

(unrelated, am I the only one who knows where Family Guy got that reference?  ;D)

TC X0 Lt 0X

Yeah, of course any thing best suited for your storage needs should be rought. A suitcase for instance  would be great for small printouts or other thin purchases.

And it is from the  Hefty Bags. of course.

"Never beg. You earn. By Winning.
Or else you won't get anything..."

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

MidnightPrincess94

the banning on plastic bags, like said before, is well true and also again said, nothing new. and yes the ban wasn't around last year. Since i have relatives in San Jose, and go very often, i can say that all these r true. However! i would recommend bringing a backpack, for those of you who hate caring things like plastic bags and such. or maybe a basket or sumthn else that you can hold things in that could  coordinate wit ur cosplay. i would also recommend, the recyclable plastic bags that can be very useful and eco-friendly as well.If you plan on buying things such as rints or other thin items, i would bring a folder or sumthn tht can hold things like that. those would be very useful and lightweight to carry.  :D