Fairmont Security Deposit, debt cards, and what not

Started by amaya_JDB, February 06, 2012, 12:32:30 PM

amaya_JDB

Got a room at the Fairmont, but how does their security deposit work? And also is there anything else I should take account to?

And I'm reading the notice in the main page of housing, and it said something about debt cards and hotel deposit policy, but I do not understand what it means. Can someone rephrase it for me please?

Thanks!
Occupation: Musician/singer/nurse/student/cashier/cosplayer/otaku/poet/writer/cook/lover/gamer/artist/maniac/woman/foodie/DDRist
In other words, I'm one busy mofo!

Fanime 2012 Cosplays:
Kagome (Inuyasha) <all weekend>

kohana ichibana

I have always paid with a debit card and never had issues. I stayed at fairmont 2 years ago and there was a $100 a night deposit pretty much if you stay 4 nights they put a $400 hold on your card. Cash is recommended from what I've heard because they give you the deposit back in cash. Card however takes days to take the hold off that might be the reason it says debit cards are not recommended. I would ask an admin about that.

If you'd like specific info I'd call up the hotel and ask. They know fanime is coming up.
FANIME 2013 so far away... ;-;
ibekorra.tumblr.com FOLLOW MEEE

2012 ANIME EXPO COSPLAY LIST:
Misa Amane (Death Note), Korra (LoK), Tohru Honda (Furuba), Yoruichi (BLEACH)

Gigantor

A security deposit is an additional charge that is placed on your card (whether Credit or Debit) to be used in the event that damage is done to the rooms or you violate hotel policy.

When you use a debit card to pay for the security deposit, it will take the funds out of your account. It will essentially be the same as purchasing something. This charge is later taken off if the hotel finds there to be no damages, etc. So if you use a debit card to pay, there will be the room charges with tax included, as well as the security deposit charge.

For example: if you were staying three nights you would be charged about 290 for the room (I'm not sure what taxes are exactly) plus an additional 300 dollars for the security deposit. So the total amount of funds your debit card will process is 590. If you had 550 dollars in your account you would be overdrafted, the card would be declined, and any other fees your bank has would be applied.

amaya_JDB

Quote from: Gigantor on February 06, 2012, 01:08:05 PM
A security deposit is an additional charge that is placed on your card (whether Credit or Debit) to be used in the event that damage is done to the rooms or you violate hotel policy.

When you use a debit card to pay for the security deposit, it will take the funds out of your account. It will essentially be the same as purchasing something. This charge is later taken off if the hotel finds there to be no damages, etc. So if you use a debit card to pay, there will be the room charges with tax included, as well as the security deposit charge.

For example: if you were staying three nights you would be charged about 290 for the room (I'm not sure what taxes are exactly) plus an additional 300 dollars for the security deposit. So the total amount of funds your debit card will process is 590. If you had 550 dollars in your account you would be overdrafted, the card would be declined, and any other fees your bank has would be applied.

Ah I see. How about if I use my debt card but run it through as credit 'cause it  has a Visa logo on it. Would it still read as a debt?
Occupation: Musician/singer/nurse/student/cashier/cosplayer/otaku/poet/writer/cook/lover/gamer/artist/maniac/woman/foodie/DDRist
In other words, I'm one busy mofo!

Fanime 2012 Cosplays:
Kagome (Inuyasha) <all weekend>

Kyra_Maverick

Quote from: amaya_JDB on February 07, 2012, 11:07:56 AM
Ah I see. How about if I use my debt card but run it through as credit 'cause it  has a Visa logo on it. Would it still read as a debt?
It will still read as debit. Credit cards tied to a bank account have different rules then a seperate line of credit.

Freight

Think of it this way...

When a credit transaction is run, they can run a hold or reserve so much to make sure you can cover your bill and your deposit.

When a debit transaction is run, your bank isn't going to just hold your money.  They'll do the only thing they can and pay the amount requested.  Then, after you leave the hotel and they have a chance to confirm there is nothing broken or defaced in their property, they'll return the money.

Credit would be one transaction they will confirm later.  Debit is technically two transactions, taking the money, then returning any overage, and the return will take a while because the Hotel's bank has to process the sending while your bank has to take its own time confirming the receipt.