Hotel FAQ (Updated 3/2/12)

Started by M, February 06, 2012, 07:43:05 PM

M

Locked the original thread to make this FAQ.

Q: Hotel website?
A: https://www.cmrhousing.com/FANI_4A/Welcome.aspx <--that ;)

Q: When will rooms be available?
A: Our hotel website opened on February 6th at noon.

Q: The dates in the hotel that I want are booked. What are my options?
A: You can contact CMR (information below) to be added to the waitlist. There are no guarantees that your date/hotel will open up, but they will certainly let you know if one does open up!

Monday - Friday, 6am - 6pm (Pacific Time)
(800) 924-4232 (Toll Free U.S. & Canada)
(415) 979-2282 (Outside U.S. & Canada)
[email protected]

Q: I'm on staff. Do I book my room through this hotel website?
A: No. The current information flow is that HR will send the information out to the staff list. The process of booking a staff room differs from the "public" (for lack of a better word) hotel website.

Q: I called <one of your hotels> and was told that rooms aren't available.
A: Yes, rooms have been blocked off and can only be reserved through our hotel website.

Q: I hear something is happening at the DoubleTree Hotel. Does that mean that I'm not allowed to book there if I'm not attending the event?
A: If it's a hotel listed on the hotel website, you can definitely book there without restrictions. Clockwork Alchemy, an event run by the Steampunk Federation (presented by FanimeCon) will be held at the DoubleTree hotel all weekend long. It is "a glorious celebration of all things Steampunk" and will be fun and exciting. :D

Q: I'm worried about the hotel deposit. I don't want to be charged _ per night.
A: Each hotel charges a different amount. Unfortunately, we are unable to post this information as it might differ from the time you book your reservation to the time you check in. You could always call the hotel and ask them directly.

Please note that it is preferred that you use a credit card (instead of a debit card) upon checking in as the "funds" are generally easier and faster to return to your account. There are reasons as to why this happens, but I don't want to get into this process (it's long and boring).

There have also been reports that funds were never put on hold for their deposit, but please do not plan your trip off of this. Expect that you'll have a deposit/hold so that no expected surprises ruin your weekend.

Q: There are three hotels that are pretty far away (DoubleTree, Radisson, and Wyndham). How do we get to FanimeCon from those hotels? (Added on 2/7/12, Updated on 2/25/12)
A: We will have a shuttle that goes from those hotels to the convention center (details will be coming later). If those are not options that you would like to use, there is also public transportation.

The shuttle will be running in a continuous loop to/from the San Jose Convention Center for the DoubleTree, Radisson, and Wyndham.

For the schedule, there are three different times listed. Peak = approx. every 15 to 20 minutes, Off Peak = approx. every 30 to 45 minutes, and Overnight = approx. every hour.

(Information is not finalized and might change)

Thursday, May 24
5:00pm – 11:00pm (off peak)

Friday, May 25 / Saturday, May 26 / Sunday, May 27
8:00am – 2:00pm (off peak)
2:00pm – 7:00pm (peak)
7:00pm – 2:00am (off peak)
2:00am – 8:00am (overnight)

Monday, May 28
8:00am – 2:00pm (off peak)
2:00pm – 6:00pm (off peak)

Q: Shuttle? How expensive will this be from the other available public transportation? (Added on 3/2/12)
A: We take care of our members! As such, the shuttle is an exclusive service provided to our members for free. Besides, it would be fair for us to ask/suggest/tell you to walk to your hotel room (if you are staying at the outside hotels).

Q: I heard something about FanimeCon keycards?
A: Yes. We had special keycards for each of the FanimeCon hotels. It seems to be returning this year. ;)

Q: I have a question, what do I do?
A: Post here or PM me and I'll get back to you as soon as I can.
FanimeCon Head of Marketing & Director of Communications (2008-Current)
(Former Fan Services Director, Registration Staff, & Volunteer)
Have questions (about almost anything)? Message me!

BlackDelo

Will there be any suites available at the marriott and if so, how much will they be?
www.myspace.com/bigfatiori

"You know, AX gives you cancer."

kookiekween99

Quote from: BlackDelo on February 06, 2012, 08:00:23 PM
Will there be any suites available at the marriott and if so, how much will they be?

The Marriott suites are already all booked up, I think...

You can see what's still left over here: https://www.cmrhousing.com/fani_4a/HotelList.aspx
ASAHiCon Registration Head - '10-'12
ASAHiCon Web Head - '11-'13
FanimeCon Attendee - '10-Forever
FanimeCon Info Desk Minion - '14

HotelGhost

Why isn't Hotel de Anza on the list?

M

Quote from: HotelGhost on February 07, 2012, 01:20:11 AMWhy isn't Hotel de Anza on the list?
Unfortunately, we don't have room blocks with them this year.

kookiekween99

Quote from: MPLe on February 06, 2012, 07:43:05 PM
A: Each hotel charges a different amount. Unfortunately, we are unable to post this information as it might differ from the time you book your reservation to the time you check in. You could always call the hotel and ask them directly.

Q: There are three hotels that are pretty far away (DoubleTree, Radisson, and Wyndham). How do we get to FanimeCon from those hotels? (Added on 2/7/12)
A: We will have a shuttle that goes from those hotels to the convention center (details will be coming later). If those are not options that you would like to use, there is also public transportation.

Please note that it is preferred that you use a credit card (instead of a debit card) upon checking in as the "funds" are generally easier and faster to return to your account. There are reasons as to why this happens, but I don't want to get into this process (it's long and boring).

There have also been reports that funds were never put on hold for their deposit, but please do not plan your trip off of this. Expect that you'll have a deposit/hold so that no expected surprises ruin your weekend.

I think you inserted the second question into the wrong spot here.
ASAHiCon Registration Head - '10-'12
ASAHiCon Web Head - '11-'13
FanimeCon Attendee - '10-Forever
FanimeCon Info Desk Minion - '14

M

Quote from: kookiekween99 on February 07, 2012, 08:32:38 AM
Quote from: MPLe on February 06, 2012, 07:43:05 PM

Q: There are three hotels that are pretty far away (DoubleTree, Radisson, and Wyndham). How do we get to FanimeCon from those hotels? (Added on 2/7/12)

I think you inserted the second question into the wrong spot here.
I have no idea what you're talking about. ;)

[Edit: Thanks :P]

BlackDelo

I was actually referring to full suites at the Marriott not the junior ones.
www.myspace.com/bigfatiori

"You know, AX gives you cancer."

M

Quote from: BlackDelo on February 07, 2012, 08:45:28 PMI was actually referring to full suites at the Marriott not the junior ones.
If it doesn't appear on the website, it is most likely that we don't have it. :(

SugarB

Was there any specific reason why all of your available suites were put on the website this year? I noticed almost immediately that they were selling out first for for friday-saturday, or saturday-sunday, and I'm assuming from experience that people only do this to hold parties in rooms big enough to actually have people in them. No one going for ONE NIGHT needs a suite to sleep in.

It's incredibly frustrating to actually NEED a suite to fit your group for the whole weekend, and essentially get cockblocked at every angle by people who just want to have a party. Some people actually need to have this space to sleep comfortably at night.

Last year all your suites were by phone/email reservation only, which was much nicer for those of us who have larger groups of people staying with them. Do you know why wasn't it like that this year, too?
Now you have a sudden HUNCH you're alone in the WORLD.
All alone with THINKS and HUNCHES all colored and curled!

M

Quote from: SugarB on February 08, 2012, 06:22:47 PMWas there any specific reason why all of your available suites were put on the website this year? I noticed almost immediately that they were selling out first for for friday-saturday, or saturday-sunday, and I'm assuming from experience that people only do this to hold parties in rooms big enough to actually have people in them. No one going for ONE NIGHT needs a suite to sleep in.

It's incredibly frustrating to actually NEED a suite to fit your group for the whole weekend, and essentially get cockblocked at every angle by people who just want to have a party. Some people actually need to have this space to sleep comfortably at night.

Last year all your suites were by phone/email reservation only, which was much nicer for those of us who have larger groups of people staying with them. Do you know why wasn't it like that this year, too?
I'm sorry that you're unable to get the room type that you wanted.

I'm kind of confused by your request. It doesn't do our members any good if we have room types available that aren't on the website. It caused a bit of confusion when some of the room types don't show up on the website so we made sure to list all of the rooms on the website.

If you are looking to be in a suite for the weekend, there are two options: 1) Call CMR to be added to the waiting list for the suite that you are looking to book or 2) get multiple hotel rooms and ask for them to be connecting rooms.

SugarB

Quote from: MPLe on February 09, 2012, 12:54:11 AM
Quote from: SugarB on February 08, 2012, 06:22:47 PMWas there any specific reason why all of your available suites were put on the website this year? I noticed almost immediately that they were selling out first for for friday-saturday, or saturday-sunday, and I'm assuming from experience that people only do this to hold parties in rooms big enough to actually have people in them. No one going for ONE NIGHT needs a suite to sleep in.

I'm sorry that you're unable to get the room type that you wanted.

I'm kind of confused by your request. It doesn't do our members any good if we have room types available that aren't on the website. It caused a bit of confusion when some of the room types don't show up on the website so we made sure to list all of the rooms on the website.

If you are looking to be in a suite for the weekend, there are two options: 1) Call CMR to be added to the waiting list for the suite that you are looking to book or 2) get multiple hotel rooms and ask for them to be connecting rooms.
That answered my question; It causes confusion, so now you have them all listed. :) Thanks~

When I made my reservations on the 6th the person who handled them told me to reply to the confirmation email of the room I wanted to trade in for a suite with the certain specifications and whatnot, but they never got back to me. I sent them another email today asking if they'd received it (since numerous people have said they were waitlisted within 24 hours), but I might just call them tomorrow to make sure I was put on a waitlist. :/ Though I'm sort of doubting I was. oh well...
Now you have a sudden HUNCH you're alone in the WORLD.
All alone with THINKS and HUNCHES all colored and curled!

EJAY420

dammit. I NEED a suite. Not to party ( I party in other ways) but I need the room. I can't believe they are all taken....even the Fairmont suites.

I'll be glad to take it if you decide u dont  want it.
Most Impressive.

M

Quote from: SugarB on February 09, 2012, 02:52:52 AMThat answered my question; It causes confusion, so now you have them all listed. :) Thanks~

When I made my reservations on the 6th the person who handled them told me to reply to the confirmation email of the room I wanted to trade in for a suite with the certain specifications and whatnot, but they never got back to me. I sent them another email today asking if they'd received it (since numerous people have said they were waitlisted within 24 hours), but I might just call them tomorrow to make sure I was put on a waitlist. :/ Though I'm sort of doubting I was. oh well...
It never hurts to confirm. ;)

Hopefully it works out for you.

Quote from: EJAY420 on February 09, 2012, 03:13:01 AM
dammit. I NEED a suite. Not to party ( I party in other ways) but I need the room. I can't believe they are all taken....even the Fairmont suites.

I'll be glad to take it if you decide u dont  want it.
Have you put yourself on the waiting list? :D

HotelGhost

Now that the Doubletree has a steampunk event, are we ever going to have more event's in other Hotels besides Marriott, Hilton, Doubletree, etc.

M

Quote from: HotelGhost on February 09, 2012, 07:21:03 PMNow that the Doubletree has a steampunk event, are we ever going to have more event's in other Hotels besides Marriott, Hilton, Doubletree, etc.
One step at a time. ;)

rafaela

I have a question : four people including me are going. Since all the 4 people rooms are full, I reserved a room at fairmont for three people one bed ecause  there was an option for roommates, it said up to two additional roommates may be added. So does this mean the hotel room is okay for four people if i put myself as the additional roommate?  Please help.

Freight

Quote from: rafaela on February 10, 2012, 12:15:45 PM
I have a question : four people including me are going. Since all the 4 people rooms are full, I reserved a room at fairmont for three people one bed ecause  there was an option for roommates, it said up to two additional roommates may be added. So does this mean the hotel room is okay for four people if i put myself as the additional roommate?  Please help.

If the max reservation available was 3, then that means, either you or one of your friends is the odd person out.  You may want to waitlist a quad-occupancy room.

M

Makise09

Quote from: MPLe on February 26, 2012, 12:24:24 AM
Added shuttle information.

Thank you for the shuttle info! I wasn't expecting any for another month or two so this is really great  ;D