LED Glowsticks ~Rave Cow

Started by bluefir111, February 12, 2012, 12:47:26 AM

bluefir111

So as we all know Fanimecon is getting older bolder and stronger every year. In the past few years Fanimecon has been trying to limit the use of toxic chemical Glowsticks. You know the ones those super high intensity glowsticks where someone can remove the heads of the glowstick or break them open and get goo everywhere. Well that's a safety concern that Fanimecon has been working on for a few years now. I created my own glowstick for about 20 bucks that will last far longer than any other glowstick out there on the market. Here are my detailed instructions on how to make them, along with photos of them in use. IF ANYONE HAS ANY QUESTIONS ON HOW TO MAKE THEM OR WHERE TO GET SUPPLIES PLEASE MESSAGE ME ON FACEBOOK SINCE I WONT BE CHECKING THIS POST VERY OFTEN!

Link to photos: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150539048241817.374229.597811816&type=3&l=37301756e6

the parts needed are as followed
2 LEDs of any color AS LONG AS THEY R NOT INFAR-RED
2 button cell batteries
1 glue stick
1 glue gun
1drill/ sodering iron
1 electrical tape

steps

1) make a hole in both ends of the gluestick the size of the LED
2) insert the LEDs into both ends and use a glue gun to to hot glue the LEDs in place
3) slide the button cell battery into the wires of the LED the positive side of the LED is the longer wire, the positive side of the button cell battery will be completely flat
4)electrical tape the battery on. this makes it so that when its not needed the battery can be removed.

Note total cost for me was about 20 bucks b.c i was making alot of glowstick LEDs. Also note that the battery should last 3 days of continuous use. basicly all of fanimecon or all sorts of raves.

~Enjoy
Rave Cow
Attended Fanime since 2008. RaveCow since 09, Dj RaveCow since 2011

kookiekween99

Or there's always LED glowsticks you can get off the internet for $5-$15 depending on quality.

My biggest issue with Fanime limiting chemical glowsticks is the necklaces/bracelets. I haven't seem a non-chemical alternative to those, at least not one that works well.
ASAHiCon Registration Head - '10-'12
ASAHiCon Web Head - '11-'13
FanimeCon Attendee - '10-Forever
FanimeCon Info Desk Minion - '14

bluefir111

sushisoap

They're not actually too big and clunky The wire is much smaller than the picture makes it appear. If you don't mind the box, you can use them as much as you like since you just pop in two AA batteries and go. It's got a clip too, to hook to a belt and such. It looks awesome and glows super bright.

I got 9 feet for 5 dollars on ebay, and I'm getting 18 more ft of a different type with a smaller box (uses the small round batteries, and comes with the batts) for another 5 (they were on sale for a day and I got to em). These particular ones are actually "shoelace" EL wire, but you can use them anywhere. It's nice though, because the battery strip is about... 1/2 inch in height, 2.5 inches long, and about an inch wide. (approx) so it can hook onto where the shoelaces loop closest to your toes. I'll be getting 4 lengths of around 32 (?) inches of wire. Still waiting on these pairs, but I'll let you know how good they are when they come in.

The first wire is going to my headgear and shirt, and I'm going to make some ghast pants and incorporate the shoelace EL wire into those.

bluefir111

Quote from: sushisoap on February 13, 2012, 10:57:47 PM
They're not actually too big and clunky The wire is much smaller than the picture makes it appear. If you don't mind the box, you can use them as much as you like since you just pop in two AA batteries and go. It's got a clip too, to hook to a belt and such. It looks awesome and glows super bright.

I got 9 feet for 5 dollars on ebay, and I'm getting 18 more ft of a different type with a smaller box (uses the small round batteries, and comes with the batts) for another 5 (they were on sale for a day and I got to em). These particular ones are actually "shoelace" EL wire, but you can use them anywhere. It's nice though, because the battery strip is about... 1/2 inch in height, 2.5 inches long, and about an inch wide. (approx) so it can hook onto where the shoelaces loop closest to your toes. I'll be getting 4 lengths of around 32 (?) inches of wire. Still waiting on these pairs, but I'll let you know how good they are when they come in.

The first wire is going to my headgear and shirt, and I'm going to make some ghast pants and incorporate the shoelace EL wire into those.

im currently in the process in updating my rave cow suit to include EL wire under the suit that has been woven through a fishnet shirt.

Admiral Donuts