Certain fanart now banned in the artist alley?

Started by LiL Moon, February 24, 2012, 09:54:00 PM

LiL Moon

@chibimonster: Oh yeah. I agree I wouldn't want a 50/50 rule if possible. I just mean, if there had to be a rule for fanart, I would want it to be 50/50 as opposed to completely banning it. I think artist originals seem to sell differently between each artist. Last year I think 90% of my stuff was original, simply because I didn't have time to make fanart, and surprisingly, I did pretty well. I think I would have done better if I had more fanart items, but my originals do pretty well. I've just been getting more into fanart lately. And yes, it is fun to act like a mini business.  :D  I enjoy that part as well.

Laggy

It really depends on what company owns the franchise you're doing fanart of. I had some Plants vs. Zombies earrings I made taken down from Etsy, because EA (Who apparently now owns Popcap) saw them and got mad. On the other hand, a guy made a replica of a Portal gun and auctioned it off, and Valve was not only cool with it, but invited him to dinner, commissioned more guns, and gave him the schematics to the Gravity Gun from Half Life so he could make one of those too. Some companies like EA and Disney lose their shit over little stuff like that, but others, like Valve and 2K Games really enjoy it. Honestly, they make so much money, someone buying a piece of fanart from TF2 or something isn't really going to make much of a dent. Unless you're claiming you invented GLaDOS and are selling their concept artwork as your own, they shouldn't really care.

On the other hand, I kind of doubt any of them pay attention to convention Artist Alleys anyway, unless it's a gigantic one like PAX or something.

Also I wouldn't mind a 50/50 rule too much. It sort of makes sense. And there's nothing wrong with promoting original artwork. I would definitely have to figure out some other stuff to bring, but I wouldn't mind too much.

ewu

Needless to say, this issue is quite complicated. We are working on a reply but with the many issues involved and the factors we are balancing, that may take a bit of time.
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom

ttyls

Honestly, I like the way Fanime's rules are now. No need to change them.

When courts look at copyright infringement and fair use, they look at it on a case-by-case basis. They subjectively evaluate each picture, which is exactly what Fanime's gallery approval system does. I am 100% supporting of the artist who does nothing but creative fanart and believe he or she belongs just as much in Artist Alley as the artist who does 50/50.

Per usual, if forced to choose I would prefer some fanart to be allowed as opposed to banning it altogether, but in general I don't like the idea of enforcing a certain percentage of original/fan art. There's no point.  It just causes an unnecessary burden on artists and can even ruin the experience enough for some people not to come back to AA. The main question is selling the fanart itself, NOT what percentage of your pictures are fanart.

cutekick

@ chibimonster You are right, looks like Otakon isn't banning fanart buttons. I think that added that last line "Fan created drawings do not violate this rule." on their definition after I read it (I did read it the day it was released) but I could have just read it wrong. Thanks for pointing that out. That is also a really good article on Etsy! Thanks for the link. Con goers really do prefer to buy fanart. Back when I did prints my fanart sold so much better then my originals. I would sell a handful of originals but tons of the fanart. I greatly prefer to make original art. As I concentrated more on that I started making less and less at cons because my fanart became more and more dated. I have since moved to crafts because pokemon are never too old (I am not allowed to sell these at Fanime) and my original stuff is more appreciated and still sells quite well. Not to mention people love commissioning hats, plushies, ect of their own original characters.

@Laggy Yes, it really does depend on the company a lot. Generally the companies that license the anime for release in the US are more lax because they know that pissing off the fan base would not be a good plan. Disney, in part is quick to act because they have most things trademarked. I doubt that Disney really wanted to file a lawsuit against an elementary school when they painted Mickey Mouse on the wall in a classroom. But Mickey Mouse is trademarked and trademarks can be challenged in court if they are not upheld. Really, it is an ugly beast.

As a note, trademark law is why official logos are not to be used in fanworks. Logos are generally trademarked and trademark law is much stricter. While it does have its own terms of fair use fanart does not apply and parody is so subjective you do not want to depend on it.

I think that the Fanime staff looking at what artist make it a great way to protect everyone. My only concern if that one day this screening will turn into checking everything you plan to sell, which I have seen happen at other cons. Each piece will have to be approved of and besides that being a major strain on the Fanime staff it is also hard to the artist. I do not know a single artist that continually attends AAs that does not rush to get new pieces done in time for the next con. The whole thing is complicated and hard. It also really just points out the major problems with the laws.

princeofrose

I just wanted to say that I strongly oppose the 50/50 rule. I have never been a seller at fanime yet (this is my first year)
But all my years of visiting fanime (about 4-5) I always love going to the artist alley. The thing is-I hate to say this- when I go to the artist alley I am not looking for ORIGINAL ART
The reason I go to fanime to the artist alley is either for 1) Fanart of my favorite characters that I love whether it be from a video game/ anime/ whatever
Or
More recently
Commissions of my Original Characters.
Never have I scoured the artist alley for original stuff. I go there for fanart only of characters that I love and I am sure many many others do the same.
True I LOVE looking at art
but the things I buy are mostly fanart.
I hate to say this but limiting the fanart people can sell will hurt artists wallets a lot. I mean sure some select people sell original art and sell a lot of them but if I go to fanime I want fanart. Not original stuff.
I love looking at the things people can come up with fan based characters-and love their style and their renditions of them.

I HAVE bought original art prints but that is a select few. If I want original art of something I would just commission the person.

If there HAD to be a rule for original vs. fanart
I would suggest like at least 70% fanart and 30% original
Like-have the artist not have only fanart stuff and have at least some original stuff for sale.
I would still dislike it because I Think artists should have a complete free reign over what they sell and also since this is an ANIME CONVENTION it is the one time they can make fanart they enjoy to share their love for their fandom with other people.

And I think the gray zone would be like fanart that looks too much like the regular artists original style in the exact same pose of a picture that the original artist did. Other than that I think fanart should be okay. And if people trace over fanart of fanart (Which is the stupidest thing I have ever heard why would people waste their time doing that) I am sure someone will point out what they did and they will get banned/excluded/whatever.

I THINK THE WAY FANIME IS NOW IS TOTALLY COOL AND THEY SHOULD CHANGE NOTHING.

That is basically what I mean to say through this whole post which probably is deemed a bunch of blarghenhargen since I had to type it in 3 minutes because I am late to class. Just thought I'd put my input in. I'll come back after class and read it over later to get the rest of my point through.

Armored-Heart

Just to re-state my point regarding the proposed 50/50 rule since it seems like it's being overlooked...

The 50/50 rule would be in regards to what types of prints you have available for sale and not the number of copies of each individual print, correct? Because even if an artist was only selling fanart, the logical thing to do when having prints made would be to order the number you expect would sell based on how popular the series is, the quality of the print, etc. For example, Hetalia/Homestuck/Naruto/Vocaloid/etc. would sell more than say, Cowboy Bebop, because those are what's currently popular and essentially "fad" fandoms.

And fellow artists, consider this: the 50/50 rule could potentially (no guarantee that it will, but it's possible) encourage con-goers to look at and possibly buy original work. That being said, do you want your art to be popular among attendees because you're drawing someone else's characters (not saying that fanart can't be unique and beautiful in its own way), or do your work to be popular based on your own original ideas and concepts? I feel that Artist Alley should be a center of expression and creativity, be it through interpretations of existing concepts or establishing new ones.
Not attending for 2014. Sorry!

princeofrose

Well also some artists don't care what prints sell more than others.
For example: The game Shadow Of The Colossus and Ico aren't as popular as lets say Zelda-but I will still make a print of both because I adored the games so much. To some artists it doesn't matter how many sell-they just fanart of things they enjoy.

Yeah true-however I think the artists should have a choice on what they decide to be popular for. Either it be fanart or their original artwork that is their choice. And even with the 50/50 rule that doesn't mean that your original artwork will be more popular than your fanart. I just don't want there to be a restriction/limit on what art you can and can't sell. Specially at a convention that is centered towards fandoms and not original stuff at all.
If you want to sell original stuff only or whatever you should go to a different faire/gallery/convention whatever not an anime convention. I mean thats the point. Its an anime/game convention. So seriously what are people going to want?
Anime/video game stuff.

I think it is fine now because now at least people can make a choice on what they want to do. I have seen people's tables where it was only fanart-and that is it.
Other people where it is only original-and that is it.
I think artist should have free reign of choice on what they decide to do and not force them to choose between one or the other or split it in between.
It limits creativity. What if I had a really really super duper amazing idea for fanart but because of the stupid rule I wouldn't be able to draw it because I have other stuff that I know I am going to sell that will sell better or something?
What if I like my original stuff but everyone else doesn't because of the style etc? Whatever.

I mean as a shopper in the artist alley there isn't that connection. You can't go "Hey. Its Link! I love Link! Amazing art!"
And if I saw lets say a picture of a girl standing underneath a mushroom house I'll go "Awww that is adorable!" But do I really need it? Sure I'll think its cute but it isn't the first on my list to buy. I'd much rather buy fanart/original commissions of my own characters with the money I have.
It isn't something I will up and pick up right when I see it because I don't connect to it like some fanart because I know/love the character and played the game/watched the anime.

I dunno. I may just be ranting off topic or something now. But seriously I think its fine as is. No rule. The ARTIST makes the choice what they want to do with their booth period

As long as they don't trace/copy someone elses artwork it is all good.
I just...Blegh. Yeah. >__>;

Armored-Heart

Quote from: princeofrose on February 29, 2012, 02:27:13 PM
Well also some artists don't care what prints sell more than others.
For example: The game Shadow Of The Colossus and Ico aren't as popular as lets say Zelda-but I will still make a print of both because I adored the games so much. To some artists it doesn't matter how many sell-they just fanart of things they enjoy.

You completely missed my point. To repeat and break it down further: I'm not saying you can't make artwork of things that are less popular or that it should be frowned upon or what have you. I said logically, you would print out more copies of the print that you expect to sell more of so that you aren't at as much of a loss when dealing with leftover prints after the con. Therefore, if you for example had say 20 prints, 10 fanart and 10 original, if you want to print more copies (so if you have 1 Zelda print perhaps you would print 100 COPIES of those to sell as opposed to 50 copies of 1 Cowboy Bebop print) of fanart prints as opposed to original work, if I am correct then that would be in line with the 50/50 rule. The 50/50 rule seems to be in terms of OPTIONS, not QUANTITY.

And I agree that the artist should have a choice, but perhaps consider this: if fanart is the only way to make money in AA, that discourages original work, yeah? Because like you said, you're so busy looking at fanart that you don't really pay attention to original work. Having a 50/50 rule, or even just a 70/30 rule in place would mean more original art in AA and attendees would perhaps stop and check out the original stuff because it has more presence. As I said in my earlier post, THAT IS NOT A GUARANTEE but it IS a possibility.

ttyls

Yes, I understand that the 50/50 rule applies to the number of artworks, not the number of copies that are made of each. Even so, that's a tremendous burden. The hardest part of the process is drawing, not making copies. If you force artists to draw/provide an original work for every fanart they want to sell, it's ridiculously time-consuming. It doesn't matter if I end up only making one copy of the original art or 20 copies, the burden is still there. That, and it still doesn't allow for creative fan artists to do what they do best. Some people make a name for themselves with quality original art, some people make their name with quality fanart. The 50/50 rule would disrespect that, crush sales for some artists, and make Fanime no longer fun and worthwhile for some artists.

Also good point about it possibly dissolving into a check-every-good system. That would be bad. That's why I say keep Fanime's system as it is, it's a good balance as it is.

LiL Moon

I think another important point that someone brought up is that artists do tend to create things the last minute. When you think about it, there's nothing special about it, but it does make a difference as to what shows up at the artist alley in the end. Someone could be approved for the alley and show up with tons of new art that the staff may find unacceptable. Some artists also submit links to their work, but they only put up "certain" works that the alley would deem ok just to pass through the system. (I know of one artist that does this.) It would be too tough on the staff to check each item that comes in, but as we all work on our art, sometimes we may not know if it's really acceptable or not. I know last year, a few people showed up with stolen fanart. ^^;

Armored-Heart

I personally agree a bit more with a 70/30 rule, really. As an artist myself, I feel that we should all grow and expand our horizons beyond fanart. Perhaps consider it a challenge. While fanart also takes skill, you're still "piggybacking" off of another artist's success because you did not create the series you're drawing fanart of; you didn't make the characters, their story, or the world they live in. It still takes creativity, but only to an extent. And you're not even losing that much money, since you don't even have to print a bajillion copies of your original stuff if you don't think it'll sell as much. I want to sell fanart just as much as the next person, but I'd still like to see original work that sells on its own merit.

And at least the 50/50 or even a 70/30 rule would be a compromise in this situation. I'd definitely prefer that over no fanart at all.

I just feel like instead of getting all up in arms over it, everyone should try and stop and actually consider the intent. Fanime staff only wants to encourage us to create and grow; they want to support budding artists like all of us. I personally would love to sell some original comics in AA and share my ideas with a creative community, but find the idea a bit discouraging when my fellow artists seem so anti-original work. It's rather depressing, really.

princeofrose

Yeah but the 50/50 rule won't stop at just prints. It means anything fanart related. So lets say I want to do "themes" one year. Pins, stickers, keychains etc etc each one from a separate fandom. Now I would have to split everything accordingly to make sure it is all 50/50. I have
to have the same amount of original art as the same amount of fan art that I come up with and
like TTYLS said
It does put a burden on the artist. That means they have to make sure everything matches and that for ever little piece of fanart I do I have to have original art as well.
What if I don't want to do it? Well now I have to. I think that's plain out silly.

Also forgot to add what about the artists that have worked in artist alley before? They have extras of keychains or whatever but now instead of just being able to sell it they have to make other art matching it even when they are just trying to get rid of the extras! That is just ridiculous!

And seriously-these artists are coming to an anime convention at a place called fanime and taking place in the artist alley. Do you think artists really care if their original art doesn't get as much attention as fanart? No. They went there to make money and perhaps meet other artists.

Besides-original art does get attention. Even though fanart is more popular but if your original art is good enough you are still going to draw people in either way. Why make a stupid rule and force it upon people when now people have a choice to do what they want to do-whether it be selling fanart or original art.

I see your point on how you'd think it "encourage" people to look at the original art but think about it. You have 500 business cards on your table the people are going to grab it and look through your art anyways and see all your art on the website.
If you have a portfolio people will look through it and if you do commissions will commission you. If you sell original art prints then woop de doo. I don't understand why a 50/50 rule should be implemented while fanime is fine as it is.

Yeah. With a rule like 50/50 that isn't "encouraging" artists to grow. That is suppressing them. If they want to "improve" by creating original art and selling it that should be  a choice so artists that want to continue drawing fan art can do so. But people do imporve when creating fan art as well. I learned a lot from doing commissions.

And you CAN totally sell original comics or whatever you want to do. I don't know what is stopping you. Just put it on your table for sale! I don't understand why this rule has to be implemented so you can put one of your original comics on the table to sell.
When I went to fanime last year there were people with their original comics out and people do actually buy them.
And no one here is "anti original work"
The only thing they are is "anti 50/50 rule"

I am a fan of original work and I don't care when people have it. If it is something I like I will consider buying it

I just think for artists in the artist alley who are selling their items should have it be a choice whether they want to sell fan art or original art. FANIME SYSTEM IS GOOD AS IS Period.

PS:And how do people rushing art jobs last minute do anything? (unless they are tracing or something)
Sure they can show up with stuff unacceptable but I thought that if somethings wrong just report it to fanime staff and they will take care of it.
No artist is that stupid. Unless they want to get banned. If someone showed up with stolen fanart then they should be reported and then taken care of.
Is this supposed to relate to the 50/50 rule at all or is this just another thing entirely I am confused??

chibimonster

I actually end up rushing to get things done for a convention simply because of the other stuff I have going on in my life (AP biology plus figure skating plus art equals no life at all). I might come up with a really, really good idea two days before a con. Getting it drawn and printed before then? No problem. However, if I had to make an original art piece to go along with it, I don't think that it would be very manageable. Therefore, in some incidences, the 50/50 rule would definitely be an impairment.

Honestly, in any business-ish environment, there will be people who use some not-so-nice methods, such as tracing fanart, to get ahead. If these people put the traced are online, it can be caught, but there will always be some people who disobey the rules, and they won't always be caught immediately. I think that trying to enforce tons of regulations, such as the 50/50 rule would not solve these problems. There will always be sneaky people, no matter what. I understand that the convention can get into legal trouble, but I don't think the 50/50 rule will do anything to help. In fact, it could actually make things worse. For example, some desperate person might think, "I don't have enough original art... why don't I go find some nice obscure original art on the internet and change it a little".

I agree with princeofrose. Forcing me to sell original work would be stifling, not encouraging. I generally don't feel like scanning and coloring my original art. Most of it stays in my sketchbook and is colored with Copics, if at all. However, the vast majority of my fanart is digital. Basically, I have a completely different creative process depending on what I want to draw. It doesn't mean that I value my original art less; I just like to keep it in my sketchbook. If I was required to sell original art, I would almost HAVE to make it into full color digital art in order to make it presentable. I would do this if I had to, but at the moment, I'm just not that interested at selling my original art, and I do think that, if the 50/50 rule was in place, I would most likely do a bunch of kinda scribble-y original art postcards (the easy way out). I don't think that's very creative, but with fanime in less than 90 days, it's what I would have time to do. Therefore, I think the 50/50 rule could definitely detract from the quality and creativeness of the art sold at fanime.

Armored-Heart

Quote from: princeofrose on February 29, 2012, 09:33:33 PM
Yeah but the 50/50 rule won't stop at just prints. It means anything fanart related. So lets say I want to do "themes" one year. Pins, stickers, keychains etc etc each one from a separate fandom. Now I would have to split everything accordingly to make sure it is all 50/50. I have
to have the same amount of original art as the same amount of fan art that I come up with and
like TTYLS said
It does put a burden on the artist. That means they have to make sure everything matches and that for ever little piece of fanart I do I have to have original art as well.
What if I don't want to do it? Well now I have to. I think that's plain out silly.

Also forgot to add what about the artists that have worked in artist alley before? They have extras of keychains or whatever but now instead of just being able to sell it they have to make other art matching it even when they are just trying to get rid of the extras! That is just ridiculous!

First off, I highly doubt they're going to be SO strict that you have to have your items counted so precisely. People are blowing this WAY out of proportion.

And seriously-these artists are coming to an anime convention at a place called fanime and taking place in the artist alley. Do you think artists really care if their original art doesn't get as much attention as fanart? No. They went there to make money and perhaps meet other artists.

Um, wow, rude. I care, thank you very much. I hope to sell at Fanime in 2014, and while I know full well that fanart will sell more, I would be pretty damn sad if none of my original work sold because of people with that attitude.

Besides-original art does get attention. Even though fanart is more popular but if your original art is good enough you are still going to draw people in either way. Why make a stupid rule and force it upon people when now people have a choice to do what they want to do-whether it be selling fanart or original art.

Uh, barely. I hardly see any original work in AA, and I try to actively look. And no, I don't think commissions count. And the rule isn't "stupid," it has good intentions and just needs kinks and details worked out, hence the discussion.

I see your point on how you'd think it "encourage" people to look at the original art but think about it. You have 500 business cards on your table the people are going to grab it and look through your art anyways and see all your art on the website.
If you have a portfolio people will look through it and if you do commissions will commission you. If you sell original art prints then woop de doo. I don't understand why a 50/50 rule should be implemented while fanime is fine as it is.

It's not quite the same. And as I mentioned, I'm more in favor of a 70/30 rule or even as small as 80/20. I'd just like to see a greater percentage than 1% original work. I feel like the idea has good intent. And there's plenty of people who will just take your business card and either 1. not actually look you up later or 2. only follow your work for your fanart.

Yeah. With a rule like 50/50 that isn't "encouraging" artists to grow. That is suppressing them. If they want to "improve" by creating original art and selling it that should be  a choice so artists that want to continue drawing fan art can do so. But people do imporve when creating fan art as well. I learned a lot from doing commissions.

And you CAN totally sell original comics or whatever you want to do. I don't know what is stopping you. Just put it on your table for sale! I don't understand why this rule has to be implemented so you can put one of your original comics on the table to sell.
When I went to fanime last year there were people with their original comics out and people do actually buy them.
And no one here is "anti original work"
The only thing they are is "anti 50/50 rule"

I am a fan of original work and I don't care when people have it. If it is something I like I will consider buying it

And now you're contradicting yourself, dear. You just said earlier you're unlikely to look for and buy original work, and now you're changing your statement saying you're a fan of it. Also, you're completely neglecting the proposed 70/30 rule which I keep saying I also prefer because it allows for more fanart for fellow artists like you. Additionally, if this is so "oppressing" then I wonder what you'd think of art school or a college art program, since they certainly wouldn't allow fanart there either because they want you to build upon your own ideas.

Um, excuse me, but this isn't about me. I was simply stating my opinion; the high concentration of fanart drowns out the original work, and I find that discouraging. You're being EXTREMELY rude and degrading towards me and my opinion and I do not appreciate that. I have been trying to represent both sides of the argument and make valid points because I can understand the intent of the proposed rule and the feelings of the artists. You're essentially calling my opinions "stupid" and chastising my examples when I am also an artist just like you, and a hopeful future participant in AA. This should be a debate, not an argument.

God damn. Nobody can express a freaking opinion these days. Why did I even bother. =_=

chibimonster

Quote from: Armored-Heart on February 29, 2012, 10:14:20 PM

It's not quite the same. And as I mentioned, I'm more in favor of a 70/30 rule or even as small as 80/20. I'd just like to see a greater percentage than 1% original work. I feel like the idea has good intent. And there's plenty of people who will just take your business card and either 1. not actually look you up later or 2. only follow your work for your fanart.

Um, excuse me, but this isn't about me. I was simply stating my opinion; the high concentration of fanart drowns out the original work, and I find that discouraging. You're being EXTREMELY rude and degrading towards me and my opinion and I do not appreciate that. I have been trying to represent both sides of the argument and make valid points because I can understand the intent of the proposed rule and the feelings of the artists. You're essentially calling my opinions "stupid" and chastising my examples when I am also an artist just like you, and a hopeful future participant in AA. This should be a debate, not an argument.

I spent maybe an hour in the artist alley and I found at least two tables that were entirely devoted to original art. One of them sold these adorable cupcake necklaces that I contemplated buying for a moment. At the other table, there were all sorts of things: prints, stickers, even temporary tattoos. I didn't buy anything simply because I didn't have any cash.

However, these people only attracted my attention because they were AMAZING. I'll be the first to say that my art isn't that good. I'm not bad, but I know that I'm not anywhere near fantastic enough to make my original art stand out like that. While I'll continue practicing my original art, I'm not going to sell it until I'm completely confident in its ability to attract an audience. My main goal as an artist is to make people smile, to give them something pretty to enjoy. If people would rather have fanart, so be it. I'll just focus on fanart.

Fanart does drown out original work; that can only be expected at an anime convention. If original art sold better, there would be a lot more of it. Artist alley is a business, and people tend to draw what will make the biggest profit. You can still sell your original art, and if you really, REALLY want to get noticed with original art, strive to produce the best art possible. :) It may not seem like it, but many people, myself included, have a great deal of respect for original art.

Don't get discouraged. Just try your best and you'll be rewarded for your efforts.

Armored-Heart

I appreciate that chibimonster, and I agree with your points. At the moment I'm just a bit disgruntled from having my opinion degraded, since I'm generally a very open-minded person who prefers to have polite debates about these sorts of things; I acknowledge that not everyone shares my opinion and I respect that, so naturally I would like the same respect from others without things getting kind of hostile. Really, it'd be ideal for artists to willingly supply original work. But given the current state of things, I just think that the proposal of a 70/30 rule has good intentions and is something to be discussed. It's not my intent to make any artist feel "oppressed", nor do I want my opinions to be attacked because they differ from another's.

chibimonster

To me, a 70/30 rule seems a lot more reasonable. It'd still be a bit of a hassle, but I'd be willing to go along with that... I actually have a few good ideas (better than the scribble-y postcards).

I'm just wondering if the admins are seriously considering implementing such a rule for this or future years. (Helloooo, admins... where are youuu?)

Haha It's 11 PM. I should probably stop being silly.

Armored-Heart

I believe ewu stated earlier that they're still working on an official response. ^^;

Considering the emails AA artists have gotten regarding the matter, I believe they are serious. /shrug

princeofrose

QuoteAnd now you're contradicting yourself, dear. You just said earlier you're unlikely to look for and buy original work, and now you're changing your statement saying you're a fan of it. Also, you're completely neglecting the proposed 70/30 rule which I keep saying I also prefer because it allows for more fanart for fellow artists like you. Additionally, if this is so "oppressing" then I wonder what you'd think of art school or a college art program, since they certainly wouldn't allow fanart there either because they want you to build upon your own ideas.

God damn. Nobody can express a freaking opinion these days. Why did I even bother. =_=

Alright. Here is the thing. I DO occasionally buy original art. I go to fanime expecting and searching for "fanart" But if I find some original art that intrigues me/tickles my fancy I will buy it. I don't look for it. I see it. If there is a booth with really cool looking original art that I like I will go up and get it. I meant I am a fan of it as in I don't mind people selling and creating it. I just don't want to be forced to create original art for every fan art piece I create.

You say 70/30 or 80/20 rule-it is free of choice now. That is like regressing. Sure I can draw fan art but I'd still have to draw some original art in return. Being forced to do it after being told that I have free of choice is the thing that I find not very pleasing. It's like saying "Hey you can do whatever you want. Oh by the way you can't do whatever you want you have to do a little of this instead."

I'm sorry if I am being "rude" I don't mean to come off that way but like I said-you are trying to take something that is free by choice and force upon artists to abide by the new rules if enforced.

And I have seen a lot of original art booths in my time I have been to fanime. There was a booth ONLY dedicated to original art. I bought like 5 prints of hers. There was another person that did like I think fairy art? And all her original art prints sold like hot cakes. Other people did a theme with cute little chibis that had all the different styles of lolita. They were really adorable and I wanted it but it was the last day and I was already broke.

With original art it is harder because everyones preference is different. Some people like cute art. Some people like horror. While others like a certain style. No matter what some people just won't buy your stuff because "They don't like the way you draw girls" or "your men are too manly" You are going to have to learn away to please the certain crowds of "WOW" The buyers. Yes, original art can sometimes get overshadowed with fanart but what can you expect? It is an anime convention you are going to.

Even with the 80/20 50/50 whatever rule you want-it isn't going to make much of a difference. With more original art pieces on the table just means that you have more competition which means its just the same. You just have to find a way to shine and you can. I have seen a lot of artists who have done that. Whether it be from cute things/horror/or whatever.

I have a table and I want to be able to choose what I put on that table whether it be fan art or all original art whatever. If you want to make original art and sell it then do so. Hang them on PVC pipes-that gets more attention. Figure out what people like and make work based on it. Do commissions. Whatever works. Just don't take away others people choices of selling whatever they want at their own table.

I also wanted to add that I have been to conventions where-like fanime- it is free of choice. Some people decided to sell on original art while others only fan art-there were people who did only original art sold pretty well and they weren't the best of the best. Their art just appealed to crowds. They did really awesome art based on dark folklore/fairytales. They had prints that sold out.

Also what in the world does college have to do with this? That is an entirely different situation and has nothing to do with the convention. College is a whole nother thing
Fanime artist alley is for fun- To do whatever you want to before you have to go to college and draw naked people 24/7 XD