FanimeCon 2012 Karaoke Contest Rules

Started by Hank-KKD, April 17, 2012, 10:05:05 PM

Hank-KKD

Quote from: Armored-Heart on May 06, 2012, 10:31:17 PM
Question; is there an estimated end time for the contest? I'm co-hosting a panel at 11 on Friday, and my co-host will be (hopefully, if his entry was accepted!) entering the Karaoke contest. I'm assuming some overlap between the time slots will be inevitable, but it'd be nice to be able to gauge how much, so we can confirm whether or not I'll need to find someone to fill in for him.

Our goal is to end by 11PM. In the past we've run slightly past, so this year we have an earlier start time for both rounds.

Quote from: princesskitty18 on May 06, 2012, 09:32:37 PM
but for the first round, when u say 2:30, does that mean 2 mins and 30 seconds of SINGING or 2 mins and 30 seconds of the song itself?

The song itself. However, we may let the song run a little longer if right at the 2:30 mark you are in the middle of a verse.
So if you want to be safe, know the first 3 minutes.

marisuga

If our song for the first round is over 2:30, can we edit the backing track to be shorter or is that not allowed?

Hank-KKD

Quote from: Marisuga on May 07, 2012, 05:11:27 PM
If our song for the first round is over 2:30, can we edit the backing track to be shorter or is that not allowed?

No, but if the song has a long intro, you may request us to start the song when the vocals start.

marisuga

Quote from: GaleWolf on May 08, 2012, 10:21:48 PM

No, but if the song has a long intro, you may request us to start the song when the vocals start.

Are we allowed to use the TV size of a song?

Xanreo

The rules state that Jpop is accepted so would an official Japanese release of a Kpop song by the same artist be applicable?

Fanime 2017
Eromanga-Sensei | Digimon World: Next Order

Hank-KKD

Quote from: Marisuga on May 08, 2012, 11:58:14 PM

Yes, highly encouraged.

Quote from: Xanreo on May 10, 2012, 12:37:59 AM
The rules state that Jpop is accepted so would an official Japanese release of a Kpop song by the same artist be applicable?

Assuming it's in Japanese, yes.

ALSO: Regarding costumes, the question is answered in the judging guidelines portion of the rules.

loconeko

I hope this isn't too petty of a question, but here it goes.

After reading this thread VERY carefully, I decided to change my final song.  My problem is I want to sing the English version of "Yakusoku no Basho" from Final Fantasy XIII-2, but I have the instrumental for the Japanese version.  They sound extremely similar, but the English version has a slight R&B sound to it.  Would I be allowed to use the Japanese instrumental to sing the English version?

This is assuming I make it as far as the finals of course.  =P

wings_of_an_angel

Quote from: loconeko on May 10, 2012, 06:40:51 PM

After reading this thread VERY carefully, I decided to change my final song.  My problem is I want to sing the English version of "Yakusoku no Basho" from Final Fantasy XIII-2, but I have the instrumental for the Japanese version.  They sound extremely similar, but the English version has a slight R&B sound to it.  Would I be allowed to use the Japanese instrumental to sing the English version?

ooo~ you're planning to sing new world? lol ironic i'm singing the jpn version yakusoku no basho for the final round if i get there!

loconeko

Quote from: wings_of_an_angel on May 11, 2012, 06:35:51 PM

ooo~ you're planning to sing new world? lol ironic i'm singing the jpn version yakusoku no basho for the final round if i get there!

Lol! What a coincidence! There's no instrumental to new world though. So I'm thinking about just learning yakusoku no basho and add more power in my voice. :P

What's your prelim song?

marisuga

Quote from: GaleWolf on May 10, 2012, 12:50:59 AM

Yes, highly encouraged.

ALSO: Regarding costumes, the question is answered in the judging guidelines portion of the rules.

I don't see anything about costumes in the judging guidelines... how am I missing this haha

marisuga

Quote from: GaleWolf on May 10, 2012, 12:50:59 AM

Yes, highly encouraged.

I don't see anything about costumes in the judging guidelines... how am I missing this haha

Hank-KKD

This should be okay as long as the actual arrangement isn't too different.

loconeko

Quote from: GaleWolf on May 13, 2012, 11:52:53 PM

This should be okay as long as the actual arrangement isn't too different.

Cool! Thank you. =)

Nina Star 9

Quote from: GaleWolf on May 07, 2012, 02:09:08 AM
but for the first round, when u say 2:30, does that mean 2 mins and 30 seconds of SINGING or 2 mins and 30 seconds of the song itself?

The song itself. However, we may let the song run a little longer if right at the 2:30 mark you are in the middle of a verse.
Does this go for the finals round, as well? Let's say that 5:00 exactly is right in the middle of the last chorus, the singing goes until ~5:25, and the most logical place to stop before that is at ~3:30, would it be best to learn the song all the way through and hope that you guys extend it to the end of the singing, or should I cut it off really early (after the first chorus/before an instrumental portion)? It doesn't -really- matter to me, I'm mostly just wondering if I should brush up on my final verses or not.

Also, we won't get penalized in the prelims if the 2:30 cutoff is at kind of an odd spot, right? (It's not in the middle of a verse or anything, but it's kind of an odd note that's before a short silent section that leads into the final chorus) Again, trying to figure out if I should cut it off earlier, after the first chorus/before an instrumental/before the slightly awkward final verses (which is a little before 1:25, which doesn't seem like much singing at all!), or if I should stick it out to the end of those final verses. On this song, there's pretty much no danger of me having to go over the time, though.

Thank you!

marisuga

I feel kind of stupid for having to ask this, but since this is a Karaoke contest, do the lyrics need to be memorized?

princesskitty18

Quote from: Marisuga on May 14, 2012, 01:25:02 PM
I feel kind of stupid for having to ask this, but since this is a Karaoke contest, do the lyrics need to be memorized?

preferred but not required
Fanime attendee since 2006
2012 Black & White Ball volunteer
2013-now Black & White Ball Staff

Follow us on Facebook page and Twitter!
- https://www.facebook.com/FanimeConBWBall/
- https://twitter.com/FanimeConBWBall/

Lexy

I believe they let you bring a printed copy of the lyrics up to the stage but they do deduct points for doing so. I did that three years ago but honestly it was way to distracting and it made me even more nervous! I strongly suggest memorizing the lyrics so you can focus your attention to your performance and singing.
Let's Play Channel
PSN: Lexy-

mlarad

Hi!, I have 2 questions:

1) If we want to change the selection of songs or the order we want to sing them, do we have to email you in advance or can it be done when we sign in at the con?

2) Also, if originally I wrote a number of persons that were going to perform and that number will now decreased, do I email you?

Thank you

Hank-KKD

Quote from: mlarad on May 14, 2012, 05:32:47 PM

Hi!, I have 2 questions:

1) If we want to change the selection of songs or the order we want to sing them, do we have to email you in advance or can it be done when we sign in at the con?

2) Also, if originally I wrote a number of persons that were going to perform and that number will now decreased, do I email you?

Thank you

1. At the con.
2. Yes, or PM.

Quote from: Lexy on May 14, 2012, 03:20:45 PM

I believe they let you bring a printed copy of the lyrics up to the stage but they do deduct points for doing so. I did that three years ago but honestly it was way to distracting and it made me even more nervous! I strongly suggest memorizing the lyrics so you can focus your attention to your performance and singing.

We don't deduct points for using a lyrics sheet. But we do judge on Performance. If you are heads down into the lyrics sheet during the entire song, then that would not be considered good performance. Many singers do just fine with a lyrics sheet, it's how you use it.

Quote from: Nina Star 9 on May 14, 2012, 10:01:57 AM
Quote from: GaleWolf on May 07, 2012, 02:09:08 AM

Does this go for the finals round, as well? Let's say that 5:00 exactly is right in the middle of the last chorus, the singing goes until ~5:25, and the most logical place to stop before that is at ~3:30, would it be best to learn the song all the way through and hope that you guys extend it to the end of the singing, or should I cut it off really early (after the first chorus/before an instrumental portion)? It doesn't -really- matter to me, I'm mostly just wondering if I should brush up on my final verses or not.

Also, we won't get penalized in the prelims if the 2:30 cutoff is at kind of an odd spot, right? (It's not in the middle of a verse or anything, but it's kind of an odd note that's before a short silent section that leads into the final chorus) Again, trying to figure out if I should cut it off earlier, after the first chorus/before an instrumental/before the slightly awkward final verses (which is a little before 1:25, which doesn't seem like much singing at all!), or if I should stick it out to the end of those final verses. On this song, there's pretty much no danger of me having to go over the time, though.

Thank you!

There's no penalty if your song breaks in an odd spot at the time limit. We don't fade *exactly* at 2:30, we fade at the first natural break. So if your song happens to be in the middle of a verse, then expect to finish the verse.

For your finals song, either way is acceptable.

Basically, sing until you don't hear the music any more, and you'll be fine.

Lexy

Quote from: GaleWolf on May 14, 2012, 06:27:48 PM
Quote from: mlarad on May 14, 2012, 05:32:47 PM

Quote from: Lexy on May 14, 2012, 03:20:45 PM

We don't deduct points for using a lyrics sheet. But we do judge on Performance. If you are heads down into the lyrics sheet during the entire song, then that would not be considered good performance. Many singers do just fine with a lyrics sheet, it's how you use it.

Thanks for clearing that up Galewolf!
Let's Play Channel
PSN: Lexy-