Rovers is Recruiting for 2013!

Started by Aelia, May 30, 2012, 12:36:59 AM

Aelia

Rovers is Recruiting for FanimeCon 2013

• Are you 18 years-old (or older), or will you be before FanimeCon 2013?
  • Are you willing to dedicate 24-hours at-Con to working for our department?
  • Will you be able to make at least three training meetings before Con, and read through our training manual?
  • Do you care about people, and their safety?
  • Do you want to see the con while working?
  • Do you want to know more about how FanimeCon works?

Then Rovers just might be the right department for you!

Who are the FanimeCon Rovers? What do they do?
This is the question most potential staffers ask themselves when they consider working for us. Who, exactly, are the Rovers? What do they do?

We are the face of FanimeCon staff. Though we are most well-known for peacebonding, there are many other things we do. We are at every event, in every exhibit hall, managing every line, and every crowd. We find missing children or parents, direct people to what they are looking for, and do our best to maintain order and safety.

To put it in shorter terms; we are Customer Service & Safety.

All of this requires a lot of walking, consideration for courtesy, and cheerfulness even when you're so exhausted you want to collapse where you are standing. Being a Rover is not always the easiest job, but it can be very fun, very funny, and very rewarding.

But.. why should I care?
Ever noticed that creepy guy who won't leave your friend alone? Remember how you got over the head by a sword that one year at that random con? Did you hear about person X who did Y to Z? What about that dude who lost his little sister?

We all have our con horror stories. Rovers are around to make sure as few of them involve physical pain or harassment as possible. We try to keep things going smoothly, people dressed properly, safe from as much harm as possible, and free from stalkers or other inappropriate behavior. When people misplace their friends, children, siblings, or parents, we help to locate them. We do our best to keep convention guests comfortable, from the most important Guest of Honor down to the end-of-my-bank-account-can't-really-afford-to-be-here guests.

Rovers is an opportunity for people who would like to be actively involved in helping shape the rules that govern our Members, whether it be for peacebonding, line control, or costume regulation. The Rovers Department gives you the opportunity to understand why the rules we have exist, and to help us redefine these rules so our Members have a better experience at FanimeCon.

After all, FanimeCon is "By Fans, For Fans."

TL;DR: Rovers is a Customer Service & Safety job. We go out and try to help people & keep things safe.

Requirements for Joining:

• Must be 18 years old by the time FanimeCon starts
  • Willing to work three 7-hour shifts Fri/Sat/Sun, and an extra 3 hours on Thurs/Mon.
  • Pass the Rovers exam by the time of the convention with an 80% or better.
  • Able to make 3 pre-con meetings to acquire training before the convention.
    Some exceptions can be made for this requirement

What do I get for Staffing?
All "Staff" positions for FanimeCon are volunteer positions. We all donate our time to make this convention work, because we love it. The perks are limited, but often worthwhile if you have the right mindset.

• A free Staff Badge, as long as you work your 24-hours.
  • A slightly discounted "Staff Room," as long as you room exclusively with convention staff and qualify for one.
  • Small amounts of swag. (2012 had backpacks or wristbands, 2011 had pencil bags.)
  • A chance to "give back" to the Convention.
  • That warm-fuzzy feeling you get when you make someone feel better by helping them.
  • Hugs from parents when you find their missing children.

How to Apply:
If you're still interested in Rovers after reading all of this, please email [email protected] with the following information:
Please have your subject line be "Rovers App for [Your Name]"

Full, Legal Name:
Nickname (if applicable):
Age & Date of Birth:

If you are a New Rover Applicant:
- Why do you wish to join the FanimeCon Rovers?
- What job experience do you have, if any?
- How did you hear about the Rovers department?
- If referred by a friend, what is their name?

If you are a Returning Rover:
- How long have you been a Rover (number of years)

You can also find Rovers at all the General Staff Meetings. Come up and talk to us if you have any questions.

I have a Question not answered above!

• I participate in Artist's Alley/Masquerade/Other Big Event, can I still work as a Rover?
    Actually, yes. We try to be flexible with our hours so our Staff can enjoy the convention while still working.

• I staff for another department, can I still work as a Rover?
    Unfortunately, we do not allow people to work for Rovers and another department at this time-- except in very special circumstances-- because of the time commitment required to be a good Rover.

• Does Convention Staff get paid?
    No. It's a volunteer position, and the best thing you get is a warm fuzzy feeling when you help someone. Seriously, the relief on someone's face when you fix their issue is awesome.

• I hear Rovers have an exam. What if I don't pass?
    Our exam is 50 questions long, and represents a bunch of hypothetical and policy questions. If you attend two training meetings before facing it, you are most likely going to pass. If you have common sense, you definitely will pass. Our average score is 94% and you only need 80% to pass. Only five people have ever failed, and all of them passed on their second try.

Everyone gets one re-test, and if they cannot pass on the re-test, we address that issue with a conversation before turning them away.

We do start testing before the stafflist locks, so there would be time to switch to another department.

• I want to help Clockwork Alchemy next year. Do you send Rovers there?
    We do not (except in cases of emergency staffing needs), but they actually have an equivalent department called "Bobbies." Their rules/regulations/recruitment is a little different, and I cannot speak for them.

However, a query email to [email protected] to express interest would not be amiss.

Further questions should be posted here, PMed to me, or emailed to [email protected] so I can address them promptly.
Director of Operations

newtype

One question about this, do rovers get paid?

Luca Cantellano

I have a quick question! I plan on having a table in the Artist's Alley, so is it possible to only have hours at night?
I don't mind being awake 24 hours all weekend (since Fanime only happens once a year!), but I would love to participate as a Rover next year...

2015 cosplay(s): Lady Deadpool (realistic interpretation)

Aelia

Quote from: newtype on May 30, 2012, 08:46:36 AM
No. FanimeCon Staff is a volunteer job.

Quote from: Luca Cantellano on May 30, 2012, 09:09:49 AM
I have a quick question! I plan on having a table in the Artist's Alley, so is it possible to only have hours at night?
I don't mind being awake 24 hours all weekend (since Fanime only happens once a year!), but I would love to participate as a Rover next year...
We can try to work with you, though I most definitely do not condone staying up 24 hours-a-day. If you are willing to work a bit extra on Thursday, plus nights after Artist's Alley closes (probably a modified version of our 6pm-midnight shift) then we could make it happen.
Director of Operations

ToTiredToCare

What if you don't pass the Rover's Exam? Is their still time to join another staff position?

-I know the exam is pretty easy from what I've heard.

Aelia

Quote from: ToTiredToCare on May 30, 2012, 11:25:27 AM
What if you don't pass the Rover's Exam? Is their still time to join another staff position?

-I know the exam is pretty easy from what I've heard.
Our exam is 50 questions long, and represents a bunch of hypothetical and policy questions. If you attend two training meetings before facing it, you are most likely going to pass. If you have common sense, you definitely will pass. Our average score is 94% and you only need 80% to pass. Only five people have ever failed, and all of them passed on their second try.

Everyone gets one re-test, and if they cannot pass on the re-test, we address that issue with a conversation before turning them away.

We do start testing before the stafflist locks, so there would be time to switch to another department.
Director of Operations

Steve.Young

Quote from: newtype on May 30, 2012, 08:46:36 AM

If only! FanimeCon is a completely volunteer organization, so when you see that registration staffer or Rover working during the convention, know that they are overworked, hungry, and not paid but do it cause they want to make FanimeCon better and help the attendees and members better enjoy the convention.
Director of Marketing
Staff Moderator - Fanime Forums.

Please PM me with any questions, comments, or concerns.

Steve[AT]Fanime[DOT]Com

PLUMPKIN

I was hoping to do some work with Clockwork Alchemy next year.  Do you send rovers over there?

Aelia

Quote from: PLUMPKIN on May 30, 2012, 12:18:53 PM
I was hoping to do some work with Clockwork Alchemy next year.  Do you send rovers over there?
We do not (except in cases of emergency staffing needs), but they actually have an equivalent department called "Bobbies." Their rules/regulations/recruitment is a little different, and I cannot speak for them.
Director of Operations

Arkham

It isn't too early to email [email protected] and expressing your interest.
--Arkham : The Blackened Hatter

Aelia

Quote from: Arkham on May 30, 2012, 04:19:42 PM

It isn't too early to email [email protected] and expressing your interest.
Thank you! Is that for pretty much any department?
Director of Operations