2012 FMV Contest - Feedback

Started by Marin Jei El, June 01, 2012, 01:00:40 AM

Marin Jei El

Hi everyone!
This year was a pretty great show. While this year had its challenges behind the scenes, the show came out great (Big thanks to my FMV Dept. 2nd Tiffany Dailey). So to everyone that submitted: Thank you! We would not have a show with out you.

The winners are now posted here and on animemusicvideos.org along with the line up info for the videos. Also, once again, I have received many, many request to see this year's entries online. We will be contacting the editors and hoping that they can provide a link to their videos.
So if you submitted an entry this year and would like to have people check out your entry, please send a link to your posted video to [email protected] or [email protected] with the subject "Show Off My 2012 FMV!"
We tried this last year and only got a couple of replies. Please send us your info!

Also, we would love to hear any and all feedback from you, the fans, about anything and everything FMV related. With that being said, I have some basic questions that I'll repeat from earlier in the year for both editors and audience alike that covers FMV judging, submitting, showing, categories, prizes or anything else that you can think of:

1. What did you like? What worked for you?

2. What did you not like? Is there anything you feel needs to be improved?

3. What would you like to see from the show? Do you like animated shorts/trailers? Any ideas for prizes? What day would be preferred for the show? Stuff like that. Basically ANYTHING that comes to mind about ANYTHING related to FMV.

Also,
Next year we want to revamp the show with new prizes and new categories. We have a few ideas in mind, but we would really like to hear yours too! We will also be working on getting a Fanime FMV Facebook page and Twitter for greater communication, feedback and exposure.

Please be as honest as possible, but keep it respectful. The more feedback the better! If you have one sentence or a long response, that's great! The more we hear from you, the better we can make next year's show!

We can't wait to hear back from everyone!
Fanime Music Video Contest Dept. Head
Any Questions or Comments send to:
[email protected]

Tsu

Here's my feedback, though I'll probably add more as we go along!

1. What did you like? What worked for you?

-The Ballots. I'm very happy to have the full ballots back with the song, anime, artist, entrant info, etc back. It makes the voting process easier.

-The overall length of the contest felt good, although the categories were unbalanced- but I know we're usually low on comedy and experi entries and moreso this year.

2. What did you not like? Is there anything you feel needs to be improved?

-Saturday issues. Hear me out here- glitches happen, like they did in the 2nd room, and I *REALLY* appreciated how quickly you ran over there to get things fixed. It's no biggie in my book. But is there any way to let the volunteer know what to do in a situation like that in the future? The volunteer in that room said nothing and just went on to load a DVD. I realize they're prolly not allowed to leave the room unattended but the people in that room (as far as I know.. I did leave after a minute to come get you) weren't told if that was the end of the contest, or if it would be fixed, etc etc. A simple "We'll get it running again in a sec, sorry folks, could someone get Jose/Tiffany?" would've been helpful. A lot of people walked out- I think putting on the DVD with no further information almost made it seem like the contest was over.

3. What would you like to see from the show? Do you like animated shorts/trailers? Any ideas for prizes? What day would be preferred for the show? Stuff like that. Basically ANYTHING that comes to mind about ANYTHING related to FMV.

-An Audio Test. The audio on the first day was great, but on Saturday it had some notable problems (which I was happy to see were fixed later into the showing) but considering there's always at least half an hour where it's just the editors sitting around/people being seated, could you choose a video from the internet or a prior year or something with heavy bass and heavy treble to test the system before we get going with the actual viewing? Overall I think this year had the best audio of the years I've experienced- Friday, and Saturday in the 2nd room and the latter half of the first room had clear lyrics and gorgeous bass. But that period of time where it was buzzing was pretty unpleasant.

-A Trailer category, as proposed at the awards ceremony, would be fun. I'm interested to see what the overall changes made are. I know y'all always do, but please try to let us know as early as you can what to expect- I know at least some of us make videos specifically for Fanime and it'll be harder to start if we're wondering what the category switch-up will be.

-I think the current prizes are great. No need for changes there, IMO.

I'll probably post more later.

Thanks to Jose and Tiffany for running another great contest this year!
Fanimecon Music Video Contest Department Second 2016-17
Fanimecon Music Video Contest Department Head 2014-15, 2018-2019

Imagine

I think I said pretty much all I've wanted to say feedback wise during the meet and greet, but honestly I think what I'd like to see more of is A) Having it be in a bigger room, probably the Video Main, and B) Somehow advertised a little bit more.

I wasn't that big of a fan of the dual room setup. While it was great that there was enough space for it, I feel as though a single bigger room lends itself to a better atmosphere when people are watching. I don't know if anyone has been to SakuraCon but they have a gigantic room for 24/7 AMV watching, and the contest being held there has a totally awesome feel to it. I realize that Fanime probably does not have the space to devote to an AMV room like that, but I still the the more people in one location, the better. Plus, you don't have to contend with the music from the next room over pouring over the one you're watching.

As for advertising, while I certainly knew about contest, but it felt like if you were looking for it, you wouldn't really check it out. Maybe have some blurb about it in the pocket guide next time, or set up posters around Stage Zero and vendor area, something of that sort? Or maybe even just a small printout in the bags of attendees?

Other than those two things, I was pretty happy with everything else (well, I suppose minus the minor audio problem on Saturday, I'm just glad it got fixed before my entry got shown :D). Looking forward to making another entry for next year!
Fanime 2012 FMV Contest, Experimental Category:
3rd Place Judge's Award
2nd Place Audience Award.

Tsu

In Judge's. Mehh! I knew as soon as I posted i'd think of something. Oh well, I warned ya.

It's a long shot, but as a suggestion, i'd love to see the FMVs do this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNO3bjZzsJ4&list=UUWed-s9N39fKckhsiLn68NQ&index=5&feature=plcp

I don't know if it's official con video or not (tho it looks official) but I think it would be a great way for finalists who can't make it to feel like they're a part of it (and hear how the audience responded) and just to relive the reactions, too. It's a 2nd best to being able to attend, I think.

Also, it was noted that some videos got moved to different categories this year. With that in mind, is there any chance of altering the judges' criteria to include a small point scale for how appropriate a video is in a category? I know the judges score is more about tech merit, but sometimes it feels like (especially in drama and comedy) that the videos that embody their category sometimes get overlooked because another vid is more cleanly edited, more shiny, what have you. I'm not saying a very-comedic-poorly-edited video should win for Judge's, but sometimes well edited comedy vids don't even place in judge's. I dunno. Just a suggestion. I can see how it could be good and bad, lol.
Fanimecon Music Video Contest Department Second 2016-17
Fanimecon Music Video Contest Department Head 2014-15, 2018-2019