Another "Asian Only" rule

Started by Tsubasakissu, October 29, 2012, 02:04:10 PM

Tsubasakissu

So, Fanime has an "Asia Only" rule when it comes to Masquerade.
But why was Portal or Avatar allowed in? I understand that Avatar is debatable, but Portal was made in America, by Americans, and isnt event stylized to resemble the typical Japanese art styles.
So, why was Portal allowed?
Is it possible that this "Asian Only" rule can be amended in the future?
Fanime, at this point in time, goes far, far beyond "just anime" (and Japanese video games)
We have Marvel/Avengers, TF2, Portal, My Little Pony, Homestuck, Disney princesses, I've seen lots of G.I. Joe cosplayers, South Park, Halo, the list goes on! It's kind of a shame to bar so many large portions of Fanime attendee's from entering these skits (NOTE: Not just Fanime does this too, most cons seem to be doing this). Theres a whole untapped source of writers, singers, voice actors, ETC that would love to participate in the skits but are currently unable to.  I mean, every year we get people doing Candy Mountain, jokes about The Game, Epic Rap Battles, and other over-used, over-done skits/ideas played to anime/Asia-related media. Opening up the doors to western media could potentially increase the quality of the Masquerade.

Dany

The last that I remember the issue about Portal being brought up, I believe I remember the response being that it was a misunderstanding on the staff's part on the origins of the game. I am not sure when they realized the situation but it was too late to pull the group, if they realized before the event.

As for amending the rule...that is hard to say. Someone will have to address that with the new director when they take up the event, as 2012 was Marisa's last year running it.  But one thing I will say, masquerades are masquerades. I anticipate no matter what the format, there will always be cliques. Removing the Asian Only rule will not change the use of tired memes, rap battles, or other overdone things...it will just change the characters that use them. And while yes, there are tons of different cosplayers doing cosplay from a variety of sources...and by all means it is welcomed. But the event has a theme that is linked to Anime, manga, and many other Asian things, and it may not be the decision of the Masquerade director to adjust the competition to stray from that theme. Not saying it cannot happen, but just putting it out there for discussion.
2012 Costumes (or so we hope!)
Ayukawa, Miime, Oscar, Yuria, D'Eon

Otaku_Lord

Quote from: Tsubasakissu on October 29, 2012, 02:04:10 PM

Thank god. Its comforting knowing there's still a shred of folks in the world dedicated to giving us an anime con.

Fanime, at this point in time, goes far, far beyond "just anime" (and Japanese video games)
We have Marvel/Avengers, TF2, Portal, My Little Pony, Homestuck, Disney princesses, I've seen lots of G.I. Joe cosplayers, South Park, Halo, the list goes on!

People can "cosplay" (if that name even counts for western rubbish) whatever they like. But its up to the convention to tell them otherwise when it comes to their event. Heck, its fANIMEcon for crying out loud. A bunch of folks costumed as figures of western media showing up to an anime convention is already awkward, and then asking them to make it all equal for everyone? What tenacity.
There are some people in this world (most true otaku) who don't want their weekend fully poisoned by the likes of which you speak. We already have Sac Anime and it's diluted western-filled experience.

And you know, I feel some comics and video games could be accepted...but disney?! homestuck!? etc...shoo shoo with all that rubbish. Go to disneyland, sac anime, or E3 lol.

If the new chairman ever sees this for some odd reason, I'd like him to remember that most long-time fanime goers like the con the way it is- its the closest to having a lot of hardcore otaku, and fanime usually reflects that by providing good Japanese guests (usually) and the maids, dealer's items, etc...there's just more of a real Japanese Anime fan experience than other events I've attended. Hoping the big staff change doesn't change much...its very easy for a convention to become overrun with garbage and turn into an "everything"-con. >__<

Bm-Atticus

Quote from: Otaku_Lord on May 16, 2013, 05:31:35 AM
People can "cosplay" (if that name even counts for western rubbish) whatever they like. But its up to the convention to tell them otherwise when it comes to their event. Heck, its fANIMEcon for crying out loud. A bunch of folks costumed as figures of western media showing up to an anime convention is already awkward, and then asking them to make it all equal for everyone? What tenacity.
There are some people in this world (most true otaku) who don't want their weekend fully poisoned by the likes of which you speak. We already have Sac Anime and it's diluted western-filled experience.

And you know, I feel some comics and video games could be accepted...but disney?! homestuck!? etc...shoo shoo with all that rubbish. Go to disneyland, sac anime, or E3 lol.

If the new chairman ever sees this for some odd reason, I'd like him to remember that most long-time fanime goers like the con the way it is- its the closest to having a lot of hardcore otaku, and fanime usually reflects that by providing good Japanese guests (usually) and the maids, dealer's items, etc...there's just more of a real Japanese Anime fan experience than other events I've attended. Hoping the big staff change doesn't change much...its very easy for a convention to become overrun with garbage and turn into an "everything"-con. >__<

CeruleanRogue

Thank god. Its comforting knowing there's still a shred of folks in the world dedicated to giving us an anime con.

We have Marvel/Avengers, TF2, Portal, My Little Pony, Homestuck, Disney princesses, I've seen lots of G.I. Joe cosplayers, South Park, Halo, the list goes on!

...Wow.

There are just no words for the sheer wrongness of this entire attitude.  None, whatsoever.

(Also *coughClockworkAlchemycough*)

sysadmin

Steve.Young

Director of Marketing
Staff Moderator - Fanime Forums.

Please PM me with any questions, comments, or concerns.

Steve[AT]Fanime[DOT]Com

Amanojaku

I agree on that homestuck nonsense, but Disney is very popular in Japan, and you will find Disney cosplay at Japanese anime cons as well.  Disney even partnered with Toei to make an anime series which you can read about here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fireball_(anime)
FanimeCon attended: 17 times
1999 - 2001
2006 - 2019
2022 -
https://myanimelist.net/profile/MrAmanojaku
https://www.last.fm/user/Mramanojaku

Eri Kagami

Quote from: Dany on November 03, 2012, 06:01:14 PM
Removing the Asian Only rule will not change the use of tired memes, rap battles, or other overdone things...it will just change the characters that use them. And while yes, there are tons of different cosplayers doing cosplay from a variety of sources...and by all means it is welcomed. But the event has a theme that is linked to Anime, manga, and many other Asian things, and it may not be the decision of the Masquerade director to adjust the competition to stray from that theme. Not saying it cannot happen, but just putting it out there for discussion.

^ THIS

If it's masquerade, it's their rules. Some anime conventions have walk ons for non-anime cosplays. While, yes...Homestuck, MLP, Marvel, DC, etc are getting popular, traditionally, masquerades are generally the theme of the con - in Fanime's case Japanese anime. It only seems fair enough.

Yet, no one stopped anyone from doing MLP, Homestuck, Doctor Who, etc for hall cosplay, right? I sometimes wish cons would make this rule a bit clearer. Like, on the Anime Boston website, they clearly state that it's preferred to have anime / video / Asian cosplay to be in events like masquerade, cosplay chess, cosplay murder mystery, etc. Yet, they still welcome non-Asian things and do randomly award any costume in the hall if it looks cool - Asian origin or not. Fair enough, I say.