Hotel Reservation Price Approximation?

Started by amandald98, November 03, 2012, 12:18:19 PM

amandald98

Hi! I was looking into reserving a room for me and a couple of other friends for Fanime 2013, in one of the Hotels connected to or close to the Convention center, and I was wondering how much they usually charge per night so I could start saving up.
I like trains.

Firemage1000

last year it was 89$ per night (4 person room) with the Fanime Discount
2016 Cosplays:
Kuvira the Great Uniter  -- Legend of Korra
Ferid Bathory -- Owari no Seraph
Irimi Kaya -- Tokyo Ghoul
Erica -- Gangsta.

Charis

Varies depending on which hotel you stay in.  Don't forget to account for taxes (about 14%, I think?) and parking (if applicable).  I'd err on estimating high, so ballparking $130 per night (w/o taxes/parking) for a two-bed (four-person) room probably is safe.  (I think I still have the numbers from last year somewhere, but can't check for them right now.)
2012 Plans:
  • Gypsy Queen / Kaya Syokka (Trinity Blood)
  • Risai (Juuni Kokki/Twelve Kingdoms)
  • Shusui (Saiunkoku Monogatari)
  • others TBD

Rhornez

wait what fanime discount? last time i got that was 2009 i want it again :l

Been going to Fanime Since 2008

SpiritOfKairi

Quote from: Rhornez on November 03, 2012, 04:17:11 PM

Have you been booking rooms through the Fanime Housing site?  If so, then you've been getting the discount.  That portal displays hotel prices that only Fanime attendees can take advantage of.  Honestly, I would be really shocked if you haven't been going through the site since that would mean you've been booking extremely early, as the portal usually doesn't open until a few months until the con.

Rhornez

Quote from: SpiritOfKairi on November 03, 2012, 10:18:42 PM
Quote from: Rhornez on November 03, 2012, 04:17:11 PM

Have you been booking rooms through the Fanime Housing site?  If so, then you've been getting the discount.  That portal displays hotel prices that only Fanime attendees can take advantage of.  Honestly, I would be really shocked if you haven't been going through the site since that would mean you've been booking extremely early, as the portal usually doesn't open until a few months until the con.
well this year it was the first time doing it through the fanime housing site, last year i had to room with strangers *never again* 2010 and 09 walked up to the front desk lol

octorok

How fast do rooms usually fill up?
This is going to be my first time booking rooms on my own.

DangerHeart

The Hilton and Marriott always book up the fastest, last year they were both full by the time I booked my room (five minutes after the reservations page went live.....) Basically you really have to be on the ball with booking a room. But if you miss out on what you want you can always email reservations and be put on the wait list for any given hotel you may have wanted, its always a good plan B just in case you miss out.

amandald98

So...If hotels fill up this fast, What'd happen if I were at school or something when reservations went up? Do they usually announce beforehand when reservations are going up?
I like trains.

kookiekween99

Quote from: amandald98 on December 24, 2012, 11:22:56 AM
So...If hotels fill up this fast, What'd happen if I were at school or something when reservations went up? Do they usually announce beforehand when reservations are going up?

They generally warn us ahead of time about a week in advance. Last year, it went up on a Friday at noon. Being in my senior year of high school, I was obviously busy. So I had my mom do the reservations for me and keep me updated via text message.
ASAHiCon Registration Head - '10-'12
ASAHiCon Web Head - '11-'13
FanimeCon Attendee - '10-Forever
FanimeCon Info Desk Minion - '14

Junon

I've noticed all of the 2-queen bed rooms went the fastest, I managed to get one (barely). There were several 1-king bed rooms even a week after the reservation page went up -- I've spotted them when I was looking to downgrade the 2-queen room when friends bailed out.

Be aware that the price listed for the rooms don't include all of the taxes and fees. After reservation, Fanime gives an estimate of what it will cost which has been pretty close for me.

JackMackerel

Yeah, I'm most likely going to get beaten when the hotel reservations go up... when do they usually go up? I vaguely recall them going up early May/Late April in 2011.

Worst comes to worst, I'm trying to crash with a friend (and friends of a friend who will hopefully not kick my ass) at the Fairmont on non-discount prices, what are prices like there?

kookiekween99

Quote from: JackMackerel on December 31, 2012, 02:34:16 AM
Yeah, I'm most likely going to get beaten when the hotel reservations go up... when do they usually go up? I vaguely recall them going up early May/Late April in 2011.

Worst comes to worst, I'm trying to crash with a friend (and friends of a friend who will hopefully not kick my ass) at the Fairmont on non-discount prices, what are prices like there?

No, it went up in January in 2011 and February in 2012.

As for non-Fanime hotel prices, you can check on their website: http://www.fairmont.com/san-jose/

Rhornez

is it me or are hotels open? without the fanime price

kookiekween99

Quote from: Rhornez on January 02, 2013, 07:52:43 PM
is it me or are hotels open? without the fanime price

I hope not.
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Mod edit: let's not spread unsubstantiated rumors....

User Edit: Sorry. I just tend to get a little worried/paranoid when there's this huge of a delay and pretty much no word from staff as to when things will start picking up. I do apologize for my message, though.

otakuya

A good estimate would be to get a price from Hilton, Marriott, Fairmont, Hyatt Place, St. Claire, etc...'s website directly and input the days you want to stay. For special events, it's usually a few dollars cheaper from the hotel's block.

Sites like Travelocity and Hotels.com also give an estimate, but you run the risk of dealing with a middle-man.

And some sites like Hotwire and Priceline; while you may get a good price, you probably may not get to choose the hotel you stay at.

As of now, there are still rooms available; even without the Fanime block.

Naiagu

From my experience when I stayed at Fairmont it was $100 a night and $100 a night for the deposit which you get back. 4 days so roughly $400 for the room, $400 deposit. I remember when I stayed at the St. Clair it was about $80-90 a night and deposit was $50 a night. I can't really recall the amount for the room per night, I can look it up after work. Last year I stayed at the Hyatt but I didn't book it so I'll be asking my friends about that cost since we're planning for it again this year and I'm booking. I'll update this post with more accurate info for St. Claire and Hyatt later.

*Update* This is just from my experience, these are not set prices or anything official.
Fairmont $89 a night for a 1 bed (queen size) for 2 people. Deposit: $100 a night.
Saint Claire $109 a night for 1 bed (queen size) for 3 people. Deposit: $50 a night.
Hyatt $110 a night for 2 beds (twin size) Also a couch in the room. Deposit: ?? Still need to ask.

Fanime line up 2017:
Thur:
Fri: Ruby Rose 4th Season
Sat: Sa-chan(Gintama)
Sun: AM Haruhi (Ouran) / PM Phichit (YOI)

DangerHeart

Last year my group stayed at the Raddisson(Spelled that wrong? Not sure.) for either $79 or $89 per night for a two bedded room for 4 people, sorry I can't remember the exact price or the deposit but I remember it was very reasonable and a very nice hotel.

Also, from my three years experience of handling my groups rooms the estimated final cost of the hotel that is emailed to you after you book your room has always been right on the nose for me down to the last penny(not counting the security deposit that's charged when you get there, I always call ahead to doble check the exact price for that.) so I've never had an issue with it costing more then expected but we always bring an extra $100 per night just in case there's a mix up somewhere. Better to be safe then sorry.

MidnightPrincess94

anyone know a guesstimate on how much a room for two, possibly connected to the convention center or in walking distance, would be?  :(

DangerHeart

Quote from: MidnightPrincess94 on January 21, 2013, 09:09:59 PM
anyone know a guesstimate on how much a room for two, possibly connected to the convention center or in walking distance, would be?  :(

Posted this in another thread but here you go, https://www.cmrhousing.com/FANI_4A/Amenities.aspx Prices and such from last year to help you guess around how much it should be. Some prices could change of course.