is hard wood okay?

Started by Rhornez, January 23, 2013, 01:19:57 PM

Rhornez

so i am getting this cosplay prop http://cosplaywho.com/sword-art-online-kirito-black-sword-cosplay-prop-elucidator.html
it is made of hard wood, i would have to get it peace bond correct?

Been going to Fanime Since 2008

Gwydion

At the very least. As that's not too different from the wooden swords and bouken they sell in Dealer's, and as those you can't be swinging around you might have problems. Might have to have it tied into its sheath so it's unable to be taken out.

Rhornez

im not a lil kid i wouldnt really be swinging it around and only pose with it lol, i dont think ill tie it down to the sheathe or else it would moot the cosplay

Lucifargundam

Quote from: Rhornez on January 24, 2013, 01:00:35 PM
im not a lil kid i wouldnt really be swinging it around and only pose with it lol, i dont think ill tie it down to the sheathe or else it would moot the cosplay
Wooden swords will have to be peacetied to the sheath- if there isn't one, it'll be tied to your costume.

The only swords I recall being allowed for posing are ones out of foam, cardboard or similar materials...

if that the master a 'prentice have,
Entirely then that he him tell,
That he the craft ably may know,
Wheresoever he go under the sun.

Gwydion

Quote from: Rhornez on January 24, 2013, 01:00:35 PM

It doesn't matter if you swear up and down that you won't hit someone with it. They are not taking that chance, and Fanime does NOT want the lawsuit. 'Cause for everyone who swears they won't, there's always one who does it anyways. I did Rovers waaaay back in the day (before they were called that, and before Fanime came to San Jose) and the stories I could tell you about people and their damn wooden swords. ^^

Rhornez

looks like my cosplay is ruined

Lucifargundam

Just make a compressed styrofoam sword :/ it'll be find mahn...

Rhornez

how do i compress styrofoam :c

Nina Star 9

http://www.fanime.com/essentials/code-of-conduct/costumes-props-policy/
QuoteSword-like props may not be made of live steel2, or have a hardened edge if made of other materials (such as wood, plastic, or laminate).

As I'm not an expert in props or affiliated with Fanimecon or the Rovers department in any way, I'm not entirely sure what the difference would be between "hard wood" and a "hardened edge," if there is any. It might have to be determined individually by Fanimecon staff, taking into account the specific type of wood and construction of the sword.

Even if it ends up being peace-bonded to your costume while inside of the convention center, you can still pose with it for pictures outside of the convention center. If anyone stops you for a hall shot, you'll just have to come up with a pose that doesn't involve the sword.

Though, before you totally freak out, and before you write off having that sword at all, you should maybe look into the PVC option for sale on that website. Plastic is typically considered safer than wood for weapons, and it seems more likely that you'd be able to carry it.

I'd wait for a reply from someone affiliated with this particular branch of Fanimecon and/or for the official weapons policy thread to open before deciding anything either way, though. I'm just basing this off of my own personal knowldge of reading through those threads and from reading the weapons policy on the website.

Lucifargundam

Quote from: Rhornez on January 25, 2013, 12:00:32 AM
looks like my cosplay is ruined
I havent tried this method:::
http://www.garieinternational.com.sg/clay/pc_foam.htm

The basic principle is you need to add pressure to teh styrofoam, thus squishing it together. Last time I did such a project, I heated it up and then forced it into a wooden mould(that last part was the hardest).

Cardboard is easier- but if you want some stability, you'll have to work hard on compressed styrofoam.

Rhornez

Quote from: Nina Star 9 on January 25, 2013, 01:07:38 PM
http://www.fanime.com/essentials/code-of-conduct/costumes-props-policy/
QuoteSword-like props may not be made of live steel2, or have a hardened edge if made of other materials (such as wood, plastic, or laminate).

As I'm not an expert in props or affiliated with Fanimecon or the Rovers department in any way, I'm not entirely sure what the difference would be between "hard wood" and a "hardened edge," if there is any. It might have to be determined individually by Fanimecon staff, taking into account the specific type of wood and construction of the sword.

Even if it ends up being peace-bonded to your costume while inside of the convention center, you can still pose with it for pictures outside of the convention center. If anyone stops you for a hall shot, you'll just have to come up with a pose that doesn't involve the sword.

Though, before you totally freak out, and before you write off having that sword at all, you should maybe look into the PVC option for sale on that website. Plastic is typically considered safer than wood for weapons, and it seems more likely that you'd be able to carry it.

I'd wait for a reply from someone affiliated with this particular branch of Fanimecon and/or for the official weapons policy thread to open before deciding anything either way, though. I'm just basing this off of my own personal knowldge of reading through those threads and from reading the weapons policy on the website.
i looked up PVC and it seems a good option actually i might get that instead of hard wood