FanimeCon 2013 Hotel Room Prices

Started by M, January 23, 2013, 03:18:53 PM

Junon

Quote from: SukebeStudios on January 24, 2013, 01:21:15 PM
Ok, this is OUTRAGEOUS! All the hotels are charging $100 per night deposit??? I booked at the Fairmont at $89...so that means the freaking deposit is more expensive than the price of actually staying there! We're not made of money, you know. Fanime's already driven up their prices for reg to obscene levels, now the hotel crap?

It has always stated that the deposit would be up to $100 per night, yet I've never been hit with more than $50/per night at any of the hotels I've stayed at: Hilton, Marriott and what used to be Crowne.

Tonde_Miso

Quote from: Junon on January 24, 2013, 09:31:38 PM
Ok, this is OUTRAGEOUS! All the hotels are charging $100 per night deposit??? I booked at the Fairmont at $89...so that means the freaking deposit is more expensive than the price of actually staying there! We're not made of money, you know. Fanime's already driven up their prices for reg to obscene levels, now the hotel crap?

It has always stated that the deposit would be up to $100 per night, yet I've never been hit with more than $50/per night at any of the hotels I've stayed at: Hilton, Marriott and what used to be Crowne.

It's the Fairmont that charges $100 per night. Which ends up being $300 or $400 for most people, yes. Your best bet is not to use a debit card, I made that mistake my first year booking a room and had no money the entire con.

venus_ivy

Quote from: Tonde_Miso on January 24, 2013, 09:33:15 PM
Quote from: Junon on January 24, 2013, 09:31:38 PM

It's the Fairmont that charges $100 per night. Which ends up being $300 or $400 for most people, yes. Your best bet is not to use a debit card, I made that mistake my first year booking a room and had no money the entire con.

Please keep in mind that when using a credit card for your deposit, the funds for the deposit will only be authorized, but not charged (This is good! It won't tie up your money). If you use a debit card, the deposit funds will be removed from your account and then refunded (Very bad!) If you use cash for a deposit, it can become even more complicated with the hotel.

To have the fewest problems with deposits, I highly suggest using a credit card if at all possible. You won't need to present the card for the deposit until check in - it can be from anyone staying in the room.
What do I do for Fanime? I say No!

kookiekween99

Not everyone has a credit card in this economy... ._.
ASAHiCon Registration Head - '10-'12
ASAHiCon Web Head - '11-'13
FanimeCon Attendee - '10-Forever
FanimeCon Info Desk Minion - '14

maria534

Do you have to inform Fanime Housing about your hotel reservation?

BonjourHoney

Quote from: kookiekween99 on January 24, 2013, 10:42:45 PM

I'm coming prepared with a CC this year, 'cause yeah, dealing with debit card deposit sucks.

And not that I'm a financial consultant or anything, but if you don't yet have a credit card and can't seem to qualify for one with no credit history, I suggest a secured credit card ! It starts with a low credit line and you need to pay a deposit for collateral, but the qualifications for one are extremely low (I got one on a less than $10k income, and with a couple of collections on my credit report), and it's an excellent way to start building credit. In only half a year, my score rose from poor to fair and I was able to qualify for unsecured CCs with much higher credit lines. :D

tl;dr: It's not as hard as it seems to nab a CC ! As long as you're responsible of course. And it definitely takes a lot of the stress out of hotel deposits (and is a good step towards better credit anyway).
2015 Cosplays:
Libra - Fire Emblem: Awakening
Arno Dorian (default) - Assassin's Creed: Unity
------
http://spazzy-azi.tumblr.com

Lucifargundam

Just use your debit card as credit. It works teh same way(more-less), except it will actually will take out money from your bank account after a few days(typically not sooner).

if that the master a 'prentice have,
Entirely then that he him tell,
That he the craft ably may know,
Wheresoever he go under the sun.

Tonde_Miso

Quote from: Lucifargundam on January 25, 2013, 11:45:48 AM
Just use your debit card as credit. It works teh same way(more-less), except it will actually will take out money from your bank account after a few days(typically not sooner).

That works fine if you have enough to cover the cost of the hotel, the deposit per night, and still have money to spend at the con. But since I doubt most people have $400 for the hotel and $300 for the deposit (assuming it's the Fairmont) PLUS money for the weekend...

EDIT: It does take the money for the deposit out as soon as you check in, by the way.

Touya no Miko

So I guess hotels don't take split payments? I was thinking about just using cash to pay for the room and use a credit card to pay for the deposit.
OMG! What the Fugnuggets is going on?!

Gigantor

Quote from: Touya no Miko on January 25, 2013, 09:37:06 PM
So I guess hotels don't take split payments? I was thinking about just using cash to pay for the room and use a credit card to pay for the deposit.

You can very much so do that.

Tonde_Miso

Quote from: Gigantor on January 26, 2013, 02:08:21 AM
Quote from: Touya no Miko on January 25, 2013, 09:37:06 PM

You can very much so do that.

In fact, they would probably like you for that. They say you can leave a check deposit so...

chococlatte

Just a quick question:  The hotels don't charge me anything beforehand, correct?  I understand the whole deposit and the price of stay is due at check-in.  I just want to make sure I don't get random hotel charges before con even starts.

ewu

Quote from: chococlatte on January 26, 2013, 09:17:35 AM
Just a quick question:  The hotels don't charge me anything beforehand, correct?  I understand the whole deposit and the price of stay is due at check-in.  I just want to make sure I don't get random hotel charges before con even starts.

Nope, the CC is to reserve the room, and they will charge it if in the event that you are a no show and did not cancel beforehand. You can put down another CC or cash when you get there.
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom

TravelingPumpkins

It's fairly easy to qualify for a credit card, especially a student one.  When I was in grad school, I qualified for a credit card despite having no job and no credit history.

Something to look into is applying for a credit card and using that exclusively for credit card charges, that way you don't go over the limit.

Of course, I'd recommend keeping a separate savings fund where you can set aside money each month for Fanime.  Credit card interest sucks, especially for starter credit cards, so it's best to pay off those bills in full if possible.

EvilBunnyKid

I noticed that on the agreement too that you may have to pay $100 per night per room.  I called my hotel directly and they told me it will only be $100 deposit for the entire stay. Not per night. The hotel was very upset about the con messing up that on the contract.

You may want to call your reseved hotels directly to confirm this.

kookiekween99

Quote from: EvilBunnyKid on January 30, 2013, 12:12:15 AM
I noticed that on the agreement too that you may have to pay $100 per night per room.  I called my hotel directly and they told me it will only be $100 deposit for the entire stay. Not per night. The hotel was very upset about the con messing up that on the contract.

You may want to call your reseved hotels directly to confirm this.

Which hotel was this?
ASAHiCon Registration Head - '10-'12
ASAHiCon Web Head - '11-'13
FanimeCon Attendee - '10-Forever
FanimeCon Info Desk Minion - '14

Kyra_Maverick

Fanime worded the bit about deposits as a blanket statement so it could apply to all hotels. Hence the "may charge up to $100/night deposit". As far as I know, Fairmont is the only one that charges $100/night deposit.

EJAY420

Use cash. Youll get that back at checkout. Problem solved.

Mod edit: family-ized
Most Impressive.

DangerHeart

I've never used cash for the deposit since someone in my room has always had a credit card they offered up, but this year its just me and my boyfriend at the Saint Claire. Has anyone stayed there and had a hard time using cash as a deposit? Its my first time there this year.

XeNo

From my past experience at Hilton & Marriott. I reserve the room ahead with a major credit card. The credit card report never says anything about this reservation. It's just a card on file to hold a room open for you. It won't be charged unless you end up using it as your payment card, cancel after the cancellation date or don't show up without cancelling.

On check-in day, I present my debit card (different card than the credit card I reserved with) as payment. After getting my key & heading to my room, I check my bank of America account on my phone. It will say how much it has authorized the hotel for (including deposit) and the most I see them take is $50-100 over what my room will cost me for the weekend. It just authorizes the hold for that much on the account, doesn't take it out. And you can spend whatever funds you have besides what's authorized on the hold.

On the second day, they normally slip a paper under the door saying how much they'll actually charge you for the room. And on the last day or after we check out, the purchase is finalized but it drops the deposit and the charge goes through for what the hotel actually cost me in the end.

I normally have enough in my account up front for hotel check-in & parking. I then collect everyone's share in cash for the room and use that cash money to enjoy the con. Put any remaining money back into the bank after we leave the con.

Also, I noticed Hilton was very convenient with check-in times. Always got my room right away checking in around 2-3pm. Last year at Marriott, I tried checking in at 3pm and the Marriott didn't have my room ready until almost 7pm.