Artist Alley previous artist mailing list?

Started by Alejandro Cuba, January 24, 2013, 06:44:18 PM

Alejandro Cuba

I just wanted to know if the folks who were artists for the Artist Alley last year might perhaps get some form of email letting them know registration information, such as when to prepare to leap onto the site and type in one's information fast as possible, should they be interested in being an artist again?  I really want to have a table again this year and remembering how fast the tables went last year I want to be ready.

ewu

the AA facebook is a great place to check. We do try to post on twitter, forums, and the website, but not as much as the facebook.
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom

djmonolith

i am guessing you won't be posting a link to the AA Facebook page??  Search for People isn't really being helpful. 
This is my signature.

ewu

Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman

ericATfanimeDOTcom

djmonolith

This is my signature.

ewu

Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman

ericATfanimeDOTcom

Alejandro Cuba

Thank you.  That is a helpful place to start.  I would still love it if there was a basic email blast since I rarely check Facebook stuff that doesn't show up on the main feed.  Good example, I get none of the Fanime con page posts on my main feed.  I checked the site today by chance and didn't know that registration had been up for a while and hotels had opened, which was a lucky break.  I know I scrolled far enough that it should have shown up if it posted to the main feed.

ewu

Possibly. I will talk with the AA head.

The issue is that it took a lot effort to maintain. Need to add and take people off the list. Cull out email bounces. Ensure there were no typos. Apologize to people who didn't get the message because of an error attributable to either staff or the artist. We also frown on spam, so we tend to avoid emails. The facebook and twitter are self-initiated opt-in communication methods that mostly meets our needs.

So I guess I'm a bit against it:) but will bring it up!
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman

ericATfanimeDOTcom

AriSky

Do you have to have a vending permit before you can apply for a table?
Fanime con-goer since 2005.
Resident Shizuru (YYH) and Kaitou (HxH).
Fanime 2011's blue Dalek.

ewu

The application asks for your seller's permit number. The permit is free, you know the dates, and it can be done online. Now get to it:)

Help needed? that's here too! http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,17910.0.html
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman

ericATfanimeDOTcom

Alejandro Cuba

Thank you for agreeing to bring it up even if it's not your thing!  ouo

I can understand not wanting to spam folks, that totally makes sense.  And I realize that databases can be a little annoying (I'm working with one now for my job).  I'll wait eagerly to hear what the decision is.

Hachimitsu

Quote from: Alejandro Cuba on January 24, 2013, 06:44:18 PM
I just wanted to know if the folks who were artists for the Artist Alley last year might perhaps get some form of email letting them know registration information, such as when to prepare to leap onto the site and type in one's information fast as possible, should they be interested in being an artist again?  I really want to have a table again this year and remembering how fast the tables went last year I want to be ready.

sadly the best recommendation is to join twitter and follow them..
the email thing didnt happened at all, and I signed up and Did not recieved a single respond. I nearly lost my chance for table reservations.

SOO HOPING this doesnt happen like the hotel reservations!

Alejandro Cuba

sadly the best recommendation is to join twitter and follow them..
the email thing didnt happened at all, and I signed up and Did not recieved a single respond. I nearly lost my chance for table reservations.

SOO HOPING this doesnt happen like the hotel reservations!

I'm going to assume you mean for the year before last.  That year I got a table on Saturday by picking up an unclaimed one.  I don't remember if there was a box to request emails from last year's tables.  Anyway, I do have a Twitter account, I just don't really use it. A nice, simple email saying "AA tables available starting x-date at x-time." is all I'm hoping for.  I'll wait to see what ewu says.  Thanks for the suggestion though.

djmonolith

I still think a centralized place for the artists to communicate where they will be and even take early commissions would be a great idea.  Twitter, deviantart, forums, emails, facebook... with hundreds of artists communicating differently it sure can be frustrating.

Maybe I need to change my attitude and just go in blindly and just have fun exploring.
This is my signature.

Hachimitsu

Quote from: djmonolith on January 26, 2013, 09:37:14 AM
I still think a centralized place for the artists to communicate where they will be and even take early commissions would be a great idea.  Twitter, deviantart, forums, emails, facebook... with hundreds of artists communicating differently it sure can be frustrating.

Maybe I need to change my attitude and just go in blindly and just have fun exploring.

yeah but I rather hear the news first so I can guarantee to obtain a table. If I found out the table link is released already (around 15 minutes ago), then there is a slight chance you might even grab one!

example

the first 5 minutes of last year, over 100 tables has been applied.
I finished signing up for a table around 12:28pm and Seriously, i was number 3##.
I also recalled the LASt 100 tables are for lottery system only!

I really hope fanime listen to the suggestions from last year's forums "move the artist alley to where it once housed gaming region", just to add a few more tables! knowing them i got a hunch that it wont happen at all. of course i could be wrong, but who knows!

phr34kish

They actually announced last year they were discontinuing the email list all together, so that's why there weren't any specific AA emails sent out about announcements.

If getting informed is such a problem, Twitter does offer a service where you can opt to have specific "tweets" texted to your mobile phone (and it's free! just carrier charges). I never look at Twitter myself, but I never miss any messages  either because I have the information from Fanime just pass right to my phone. Just a suggestion.

Hachimitsu

already have that installed after they announce the mistake they created! (coughs* hotels * coughs)

cowsrcute

Last last year I had a table and didn't have to get a permit until I actually got the table. Do I need a permit before now? D=

Hachimitsu

Quote from: cowsrcute on January 31, 2013, 08:19:18 PM
Last last year I had a table and didn't have to get a permit until I actually got the table. Do I need a permit before now? D=

that depends, back then ALOT of people have permits, but didn't made the second copy for the AAA to have! if you didn't had a permit back then, then it's better to have a permit before then, but ONLY if you got qualified from artist alley! Otherwise, how else your going to explain the Board of Equalization that you did not got qualified?

Mrs_Uesugi

So I was just wondering if there is any news or update on when you will be able to register/apply for a table in the artist alley?

mod edit: moved from reg forum