2013 FMV Contest Rules and Guidelines!

Started by Marin Jei El, January 27, 2013, 12:14:57 PM

Tsu

Quote from: Xia on May 14, 2013, 09:03:59 PM
Oh nice! Good to know there's a good amount of comedy and experimental entries this year.

This is my first AMV that I'm entering in contests, so I'm pretty excited and nervous to hear back soon.

Good luck to you! :D

I'm interested to see how many of the Experimental videos will be trailers and how many will be traditional-Experimental-doesn't-fit-in-any-other-category.
Fanimecon Music Video Contest Department Second 2016-17
Fanimecon Music Video Contest Department Head 2014-15, 2018-2019

Xia

Quote from: foester on May 14, 2013, 09:07:57 PM
Quote from: Xia on May 14, 2013, 09:03:59 PM
Oh nice! Good to know there's a good amount of comedy and experimental entries this year.

This is my first AMV that I'm entering in contests, so I'm pretty excited and nervous to hear back soon.

Good luck to you! :D

I'm interested to see how many of the Experimental videos will be trailers and how many will be traditional-Experimental-doesn't-fit-in-any-other-category.

Thank you! :D

I agree: AMVs that don't fit in comedy/action/drama/romance categories are rare gems.

Bm-Atticus

Quote from: foester on May 14, 2013, 08:00:38 PM
Last year we had a pile-up of editors on the forum posting while we eagerly awaited the emails. I wonder if we could hope for the same this year. :D

That would be fun. Nothing like a pile of nervous editors waiting to hear back from the higher ups.

Quote from: Xia on May 14, 2013, 09:33:50 PM

Good luck! I remember the first time I submitted a video back in 2010 and I was a nervous wreak. Apparently that feeling never really goes away.

Tsu

Quote from: Bm-Atticus on May 14, 2013, 09:49:27 PM
Good luck! I remember the first time I submitted a video back in 2010 and I was a nervous wreak. Apparently that feeling never really goes away.

I still get freaked out when the contest is actually running. It's so exciting, though.

Do you folks attend the contest both days? I always try to. Seens to how Fanime was the only con I submitted to up until a year ago, seeing your video twice on the big screen (or 4 times, if you run to the other room when it plays there since the categories are scrambled) is too much to resist. :D Plus even though I love going home and downloading the stand-out entries each year, it does feel different seeing it on your computer screen vs a giant screen with a room full of enthused people.

Xia

I'm pretty sure I can make it to the Friday viewing, since I'll be checking in that morning and picking up my badge. I really don't know if my friends and I can make it in time for Saturday, since we'll be attending a cosplay gathering that day at 1 PM; and that is super close to when viewings show. A shame though, since we'll be dressed up in the exact same outfits for the anime that I made the AMV with. D:

One of the things I look forward to (especially if I am a finalist; or do they manage to screen all the entries somehow during the whole con?) is seeing my work on a big screen and with booming audio. It isn't the same as watching it online (and definitely when you are editing and crying and yelling at the editing program to cooperate...)

Tsu

Quote from: Xia on May 14, 2013, 11:08:50 PM
I'm pretty sure I can make it to the Friday viewing, since I'll be checking in that morning and picking up my badge. I really don't know if my friends and I can make it in time for Saturday, since we'll be attending a cosplay gathering that day at 1 PM; and that is super close to when viewings show. A shame though, since we'll be dressed up in the exact same outfits for the anime that I made the AMV with. D:

One of the things I look forward to (especially if I am a finalist; or do they manage to screen all the entries somehow during the whole con?) is seeing my work on a big screen and with booming audio. It isn't the same as watching it online (and definitely when you are editing and crying and yelling at the editing program to cooperate...)

LOL! So true about the yelling and crying. When I tried rendering the video for this contest (with something like 12 hours left to render, re-render and upload) my program casually informed me that the 1st render was going to take 10+ hours. Turned out it wasn't using all the RAM to run the render but for that hour I let it run I was so panicked...

I'm not really sure if they screen all of them anymore. Back when I was a semi-finalist rather than finalist there was an individual screening for the semi-finalists, but that was before Stage Zero. I think it's possible that semi-finalists are used as filler at Stage Zero these days. Or maybe that was just when the coordinator of the FMV contest and the director of Stage Zero were one and the same... I'm sure the current FMV Director will know for sure.

Tsu

Quote from: Marin Jei El on May 13, 2013, 12:59:52 PM
We're finishing up the Judge's Panel and will start sending out the next round of emails tomorrow. This means that you should expect you emails letting you know if you submission has made it into the final show in the next few days. Cheers!

Xia

Well Jose did say starting tomorrow (meaning the 14th) and over the next few days, so...hopefully by Friday night PDT we will find out? Eh eh?

(Or maybe there are different days they sent out emails to those whose entries made it vs. those who didn't. Or it's randomized or one by one. You never know?)

Tsu

Quote from: Xia on May 15, 2013, 10:42:41 PM
Well Jose did say starting tomorrow (meaning the 14th) and over the next few days, so...hopefully by Friday night PDT we will find out? Eh eh?

(Or maybe there are different days they sent out emails to those whose entries made it vs. those who didn't. Or it's randomized or one by one. You never know?)

Oh, don't worry, I understand. With 74 videos, that's a lot of emails to go out whether or not he's started working on it. And the coordinator is a great guy. I just have to vent my crazed excitement+anxiety out in small bursts or I'll flail around on the floor all day. :D

Xia

Ah, okay! XD

Although still, that doesn't prevent me from skirting around my inbox, just wondering if it will be SOON, ahhhh.

Tsu

I'm the same way, haha. I keep mashing refresh on the forum and pouncing when an email notification goes off. In a way, waiting is kind of part of the fun... since once the con is here, it'll be over before we know it.

matthewgutz

Started making AMVs a few months ago and this is my first time entering them to a contest.

So happy Both of them made it to finals! =]

Good luck to the remaining entries!

Xia

That's awesome, Matthew! From  a fellow newbie editor here, congrats!

So that means emails are going out now, huh? *continues watching inbox zealously*

Tsu

Quote from: matthewgutz on May 16, 2013, 03:02:30 PM
Started making AMVs a few months ago and this is my first time entering them to a contest.

Congrats! I totally get it if you don't want to tell us, but what categories did you enter into?

Edit: WOOHOO!!!! Mine made it in!! Hold on Xia, I'm sure they'll email you soon!!

matthewgutz

Quote from: foester on May 16, 2013, 03:25:53 PM
Quote from: matthewgutz on May 16, 2013, 03:02:30 PM

Congrats! I totally get it if you don't want to tell us, but what categories did you enter into?

Edit: WOOHOO!!!! Mine made it in!! Hold on Xia, I'm sure they'll email you soon!!

Action and Drama, How bout you?

Bm-Atticus

Quote from: matthewgutz on May 16, 2013, 03:34:44 PM
Action and Drama, How bout you?

Wow, you got into some pretty tough categories! Congrats!

Mine got into Comedy so now I can stop stressing about getting in and start stressing about how well it's going to do. Anime Conji showed me my video has a chance so now I'm excited to see how the audience reacts to it.

Tsu

I hope we get the numbers of vids per category soon. :D

Xia

I got the email!

...But alas, my entry didn't make it. Not as surprised though since I entered the action and there was A LOT of entries. O_O

I'll still show up to the Friday viewing to check it all out and vote. :D

Tsu

Aw, I'm sorry. I'm sure you'll get in next year! :D

In the meanwhile, I'm pretty sure you still get to join the other editors in the editor-only pre-seating, so we'll see you there! :)

Bm-Atticus

Yeah! You can chill with the cool kids!