Swap Meet Questions

Started by keitoghostie, February 28, 2013, 11:26:31 AM

Hachimitsu

Quote from: Eurobeat King on March 18, 2013, 01:06:11 PM
Quote from: Anon on March 15, 2013, 04:58:44 PM
we're nearing the 2 month mark soon, are we going to see any updates on the event? Same location as last year, or hopefully back at the convention center? Is there staff assigned to it yet? Spot registration date?

My thoughts as-well..  The staff is probably trying to figure out where to have the Swap Meet this year, so until they finalize a location, they don't want to say announce anything or open the sign-ups yet.  While I can understand that, it is frustrating.  But we can only hope they announce something soon (like early April)  :-\

sadly the hotel is going to be the same!.... ALSO WHAT STAFF? i actually applied twice on emails and I havent receive any responses other than Ewu O_O!... I really do want to work with swap meet for once! WEll I guess i have to wait til time comes v_v!

Ecchi ja Nai

Quote from: Jeimizu on March 29, 2013, 07:32:29 PM

Does this apply to the Swap Meet as well? My friends and I have used a hand truck in previous years.

It is venue based. When the Swap Meet was in the Fairmont, the rule did not apply. However, the swap meet will be moving back into the SJCCF and the rule will apply this year.

(I was trying to quote from a locked thread, but couldn't figure out how to do it.  See this post here for reference: http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,18153.msg454214.html#msg454214)

Given that this is coming from ewu, and that this response is more current than anything else I've heard regarding swap meet this year, it looks like they're bringing it back to the actual convention center.  Personally, I think this works out for all attendees so much better than any other option.  I don't know the specifics about why they moved it to the hotel last year (self-censoring myself here, since I've heard stuff come up, but I know how fervently staff and the board mods look down on speculation) but I had hoped we might eventually find the meet moved back into the middle of the action some day.

Hachimitsu-ink, have you checked the staff boards?  There's a post that leads to a page here: http://apps.fanime.com/2013/staffapply/.  I'd submit your info here if you haven't already.  I'm not staffing myself this year, so I have absolutely no details on what's going on, other than it seems everything is delayed, and we probably won't hear any specifics until a few weeks out from the con.  GOH, MusicFest, Swap Meet, etc., there are scant details to go around for any of these.

Even speed dating is forgoing any type of registration system prior to the event.  I'm not sure how they're going to collect everyone's info without delaying the entire thing, unless people start filling out forms while waiting in line.  I sure as hell hope that we're not forced to do the same for swap meet.  It's a little different when knowing if you're registered to participate or not will determine if you wind up bringing boxes and boxes of stuff with you.

[edit: after posting all that, I thought I should double-check the main page and see if they've posted any updates.  Sure enough, they've mentioned a band called 7!! who'll be performing at MusicFest!  Never heard of them before, but I'll probably still check them out.  As an attendee, though, I think my original sentiment still stands.]

Sen

No need to speculate...
As you may recall, Swap Meet was in the Gaming Hall. In the few years leading up to its move to the Fairmont last year, it would become so crowded in there that it quickly became a fire hazard! Hence last year it was moved to the Fairmont for lack of a better sized space. This year it is indeed back in the main convention center in Hall 1 where Artist Alley used to be. There will be other yet to be announced events in Hall 1 when Swap Meet isn't going on.

Obviously a lot things have been shuffled around and we are working towards a comprehensive "What went where" announcement for the main website.

Why did you not like the Fairmont for Swap Meet?
Claudia

Chair Radio '15
Fan Services Division メンバーサービス共同本部長
   Member '15
   Director '10-'13
   Assistant Director '08-'09
Registration Staff '05-'07

Anon

I personally didn't have a problem with the Fairmont, however my partner felt the location not being attached to the convention center hurt day 1 (Thursday) sales. Coupled with the comments from last years aftermath thread, people still couldn't figure out where it was located at. I feel now that it was established and confirmed to be back at the convention center, we'll still run in to the issue of people not knowing where it is, now thinking it may be at the Fairmont. Can't win 'em all I suppose. And I agree with that situation from 2 years ago, when it shared the space with the gaming hall. People were so packed in to that hall, it was insane.

Thank you for shedding some light on the subject Sen. At least now we know the Swap Meet is still on and people are in fact actually working on it. I know you stated that other activities will be happening in the same space during the non-swap meet hours, but will it be exclusively during the non-swap hours? We won't be sharing the hall with the 24 hours gaming area once again will we? Will sellers be given time to get to their spots and set up before unleashing the horde upon them? (I want to say thanks again to staff for giving us that time last year, saved a lot of headache)

Ecchi ja Nai

I had a couple of issues with the venue, but they were all on this side of inconvenience, rather than anything major.  In fact, up until a couple of weeks ago, I was assuming it would be back at the Fairmont again this year and was still looking forward to signing up (when?) to sell.

Everything pretty much goes back to one gripe: not that swap meet was at the Fairmont, but that it wasn't at the SJCC.  I wasn't concerned so much about the foot traffic on Day 0.  I figured not nearly as many people at there Thursday night as there would be on Friday, after the con officially starts.  Plus, the people who are there don't have a lot to do once they get their badges, unless they want to explore downtown San Jose, which isn't exactly a whole lot on a week night and even more so if you're under 21.  And it seemed like most people buying didn't have much trouble making their way over.

I was staying at the Hilton last year, so I parked under the hotel.  They've got a fairly small lot, so I wasn't going to give up my spot to drive the three or four blocks to the Fairmont.  In doing that, though, I had to lug everything I had all the way through the convention center, across the light rail tracks, and down the street to the hotel.  The same would hold true for those staying at one of the other hotels further from the con, but at least there is plenty of additional parking both at and around the SJCC.  The same thing isn't nearly as true for the Fairmont.

I'd say most people participating knew by that point that swap meet was going to be held at the Fairmont, but once you got to the hotel, there was still some confusion as to where you were actually supposed to go.  When I got there, there was a sign pointing one way, but the hallway was being blocked off by hotel staff.  I didn't see any roamers or other staff in the lobby to direct people where to go.  Once I actually got to the right floor, we wound up on the exact opposite side of the hotel from where we were supposed to line up.  Then there was the whole SNAFU with the power at the SJCC, which was completely out of the control of con staff, but there were two groups of people I saw completely out of breath as they were running down the hall to the end of the line: those who still weren't aware of the move for whatever reason, and those who were stuck in line waiting for their badges and were delayed in getting over.  Power issues aside, it would have been much less of a hassle for most con-goers if it wasn't outside of the convention center.

Some people might point out that the Clockwork Academy was also held at a different location.  Well, I didn't go, which I completely understand was my own choice, but still.  And in reading these boards last year, it seems like there was also a lot of confusion as to where things were and what time they were going on.  At least if something is moved to a different room at the SJCC, at worst you're walking from one end of the hall to the other.

Then there was the fact that everyone was processed in one room on Thursday night, only to be shuffled off to a different room before they could actually start setting up.  Then it was a similar process on Friday night, except there was an additional room where other sellers were posted, which I only found out about after my buddy took a break from selling stuff to make a round of buying.  Once you left the rooms, you had to get in a queue to get back in (again, understandable and expected given the room sizes, the number of people there, and making sure people adhere to the one-entrance/one-exit set up,) but both of the lines wound up running through the same relatively narrow hallway and you couldn't tell which line was going to which room.

I completely agree that the last time swap meet was held in the same room as all the gaming stuff it was way too crowded.  It was a fire/safety hazard, it was uncomfortable to people looking around, it was a hassle for gamers who might have been sitting with their backs to the meet; in general there were just too many people in too small a space.  Except, why did it have to be in the same room as gaming?  Or at the very least, why did so much space have to be dedicated to empty tables?  The two trends I've noticed over the last few years is that swap meet has been getting more and more popular, while the number of video games and the people playing them have gone down.  I'm sure the place is packed when the tournaments are running, but during the off-peak hours, like when swap meet is going on?  Without exaggeration, I think the space devoted to gaming could have been decreased by half on Thursday and Friday night, and it wouldn't have had a negative impact on gamers.  Heck, moving the console games ten more feet away from the wall and closer to the arcade cabinets would have made a huge difference.  Maybe ask SJCC staff to get rid of a half dozen of the empty tables and chairs towards the front of the room and everyone would have been more comfortable.

Putting swap meet into its own room at the SJCC is the best possible thing that staff could do.  I know it takes up a lot of space, and you'd have to find other uses for it when swap meet isn't going on, but having a multipurpose room like that makes so much sense for this con.  The only other thing I could ask for is either the return of the 10x10 seller spaces, or at least not charging the same $20 for a half-size spot.

tl;dr - I am so glad that swap meet is moving back to the SJCC this year.  Having the meet share an entire room with other events that aren't going on at the same time is probably the best possible solution.  Didn't mean for this to turn into such a long rant, but hey, Sen asked.

And finally I do want to echo what others said last year and applaud con ops and staff for allowing people to get in to swap meet without a badge because of the power outage.  Most people were upset because they either had to wait in line for a long time, in some cases for nothing, and/or because they'd have to come back and do it over on Friday.  At least with that one decision most attendees were able to end Day 0 on a positive note.

Sen

No problem. I asked because I just haven't had much feedback from attendees about Swap Meet last year. So thank you both! No you will not be sharing the space with Gaming. Gaming is still Hall 3.

I can imagine the power outage did not help with sales on Thursday night. It was a difficult situation for everyone.

The empty chairs and empty tables you refer to in the Gaming Hall were probably for Table Top Gaming. It actually costs more money for the con if we were to have people come in and move stuff around during con especially during odd hours or on a weekend. That is why we tend to have everything set up in SJCC from the get go. So if you were wondering why some other rooms weren't available, it is because they were already set up for their main events.

Agreed on the confusion! We're gonna do our best to make it as well known as possible where things are going. Even more stuff got moved around this year. Within my division alone half of my departments got moved.  :o

Thanks again for the feedback!
Claudia

Chair Radio '15
Fan Services Division メンバーサービス共同本部長
   Member '15
   Director '10-'13
   Assistant Director '08-'09
Registration Staff '05-'07

Eurobeat King

I'm glad the Swap Meet will be back inside the SJCC :)  While I thought it was nice (and cleaner) to have it at the Fairmont last year, it just made it difficult for sellers who parked their cars inside the SJCC parking garage to transport their items to/from.  But since I sold about 95% of what I brought to sell, I'm not complaining!   ;D

One question about where the Swap Meet sellers might be lining up before the event on both days?  I know Hall 3 was closer to the Hilton, and they used that long walkway and lined-up against the walls with their items until it was time to check-in.  With Hall 1, the only place I can think of is that hallway in-between Hall 1 and the other panel rooms next to it. 
"Freedom is the right of all sentient cosplayers."

Hachimitsu

I dont think swap meet will move to any of the halls after the big announcement of AA moving to a larger venue space, so I guess i have to see where that is going to be located..

Now as for the staff, I did applied for it and emailed 3 times. I only got two responses both from ewu, so I really am hoping to particiate on arriving here on april 7th.

hopefully i can finally work as a staff for Swap meet, since i have a gut feeling they might need some extra help!
so in total: yes I did applied on the staff forms AND emailing swapmeet(at)fanime(dotcom)

Eurobeat King

Quote from: Sen on April 03, 2013, 04:33:54 PM
This year it is indeed back in the main convention center in Hall 1 where Artist Alley used to be.

This seems pretty solid.
"Freedom is the right of all sentient cosplayers."

Hachimitsu

Quote from: Eurobeat King on April 05, 2013, 02:05:11 AM
This year it is indeed back in the main convention center in Hall 1 where Artist Alley used to be.

This seems pretty solid.

okay this seems sensible.. and thats good news to hear...
was worried because last year my wheel was stuck on the tracks and it was during a red light!

Ecchi ja Nai

Quote from: Hachimitsu-ink on April 05, 2013, 02:06:55 AM
was worried because last year my wheel was stuck on the tracks and it was during a red light!

That's the kind of stuff I was talking about.

Hachimitsu

Quote from: Ecchi ja Nai on April 05, 2013, 02:19:42 AM
Quote from: Hachimitsu-ink on April 05, 2013, 02:06:55 AM

That's the kind of stuff I was talking about.

about the rail road tracks and all your swap meet items fell to the ground and the cars honked at you and said get the *Offensive word* out the way!?!?!??!

Anon

I hope you're not planning on selling and working as staff for the swap meet, are you ?

Hachimitsu

Quote from: Anon on April 05, 2013, 05:49:22 AM
I hope you're not planning on selling and working as staff for the swap meet, are you ?

My sister is going to be in swap meet and maybe my friend

I'm not applying for swap meet this year! I want to apply for Swap meet staffing this year because I KNOW how much they need help on swap meet! If the positions are filled then well, I wish them good luck and hopefully they can help as many registrees as they can.

btw anon, your the 9th person who asked me this question!

Belfry

Quote from: Sen on April 03, 2013, 04:33:54 PMWhy did you not like the Fairmont for Swap Meet?
I disliked the swap meet being at the Fairmont last year primarily due to safety concerns. The swap meet ends late at night, and carting items around downtown San Jose at that hour, instead of just carting them through the convention center, is way more dangerous.

I will say, however, that the Fairmont staff were amazingly helpful. They helped us transport heavy, cumbersome items from downstairs to upstairs and vice versa, and kept me company after midnight while my sister brought her car over to pick up our unsold items. We weren't even staying at the Fairmont and the staff still went out of their way to help us! If not for the Fairmont staff being so wonderful, I would've been very unhappy that the swap meet was outside of the convention center last year.

Hachimitsu

i have to admit, the fairmont staff was very very helpful carrying parts of our items back to the convention car. I don't know how many people has a hotel and kept their swap meet to, but those who were at the fairmont hotel are very lucky.

The line for Swap meet has grown bigger and I was abit worried about the fire code being violated! (talking about friday)..

So now that we are moving back to The convention, is the pricing for the registration going to be the same? or are they going to raise it?
(i'm guessing raised but not sure why)

Also is it going to be where gaming room was held? or a new ballroom I have never been to?
MY BIGGEST HOPE was they removed the BADGE required on thursday! I like it better to have thursday for anyone to come, and friday a badge requirement!

Ecchi ja Nai

It sounds like you guys had some excellent customer service from the hotel staff (sorry, I'm in retail management, and that kinda stuff has been drilled into me).  Didn't get any offers for assistance myself, though.  I guess I am a big, strapping (not really) lad, and everyone assumed I didn't need any help.  And aside from guys working the valet parking and the two people behind the counter, the only other hotel staff I saw before or after swap meet was the guy blocking the hallway where the Fanime Swap Meet sign was pointing.

And I sure as hell hope they don't increase the price.  $20 a space seems fair enough.  I suppose they could always decrease the size of each space.  Go back to a square, this time 5' x 5'.

Er, wait, no... please don't do that to us.

With the increase in space available in the hall, they can (hopefully?) allow more sellers to participate, thus generating more incoming funding to help offset costs involved with running Fanime, without decreasing spot size or increasing the seller's fee.

Hachimitsu

With the increase in space available in the hall, they can (hopefully?) allow more sellers to participate,

i thought they already did? the space is 4 x 10, I know the amount from last time i think around 2011, the space was more than enough to occupy the sides and inner regions of the spaces O_O!... I don't think they violated any fire codes...

wait, I thought swap meet had some volunteers and staffs to help move things around? HOw many did we lost on support for swap meet?
I remmeber ther was::
three admins (one of them with the cash box, one is the sign up forms, and a checker who holds an ear piece set communicator), 4 volunteers? (people who sit outside to check badges / to redirect trafficking)..and I think 2 helpers?

DID swap meet had enough helpers/volunteers/staff last year?
I'm sorry to ask this question!

Ecchi ja Nai

4' x 10'?  Last year and the year before, it should have been 5' x 10'.  Prior to that, the spaces were 10' x 10'.  But watch, some swap meet overmind is sitting in a hidden lair somewhere, rubbing their chin. "Four by ten you say... interesting."  Great job.

It would be really nice to have an official Swap Meet info page up.

Avairrianna

Lurking thread for updates
Cosplays in work:
?

Gatherings in charge of in 2017:
Steven Universe