Protestors and the Art of Trolling Them

Started by m0ckingbird, March 19, 2013, 05:45:12 AM

m0ckingbird

This will be my fourth year attending Fanime and I'm not looking forward to the protestors that stand near the fountains at the convention center. My first year I was shocked to see people with signs that said "god hates fags" or "god hates cosplay". How could the police stand there PROTECTING them not doing anything or even asking them to leave? They stood there all day and each time I passed by them I was frightened and confused. My second year I was shocked to see them again and I remained confused. My second year I took a different approach. I became enraged and joined in with other con-goers as they shouted at the protestors. While this relieved some of my anger, I felt as though no progress was made.

Recently I have been watching videos of counter-protestors. I feel that their methods are both satisfying AND progressive as many of the groups were successful in getting the protestors to leave. I for one am tired of finally finding a place to call home and having that disturbed by these protestors. They make me uncomfortable, mad, and most of all sad that Fanime is not the only place that they picket.

I wish I could walk by and ignore them but I physically can't. Sometimes I am on the verge of getting physical but restrain myself because of police presence.  ::) So I propose if anyone out there feels the same as I do to not instigate them but instead TROLL them.

Examples of individual trolls: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=DgrRn2XbKFM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CA349R02oPM

An example of a group trolling effort: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9tBGxzhEM0

eralston

IMO the best way to deal with the protesters is to ignore them. The protesters are there to get attention and the "counter protests" just give them the attention they want, the best way to get them to leave would be if everyone just ignored them.

By giving them attention you are doing exactly what they want.
Evan Ralston

Assistant Director of Guest Relations

echoshadow

Agreed. Ignore them don't try to troll them, that is just what they want.

Last year fanime staff did a good job keeping people away from the protesters, they went away quickly.
Not your typical anime junkie.
MAL:Echoshadow's Anime List

m0ckingbird

Yea. I mean, the whole point of the protestors is to piss people off. But I know that 100% won't ignore them and that just continues to feed the flame. So how do we get them to go away for good?

echoshadow

You can't get rid of them they have every right you and I have to be on the streets.

Ignoring them and not paying attention is the fast and simple way to make them go way. Take all that time and energy and use it to have fun at fanime instead of thinking about the protesters.
Not your typical anime junkie.
MAL:Echoshadow's Anime List

Dagger-6

Plus, the more people who congregate there, the more staff we have to dedicate to managing that area.  The counter protesters are as much as an issue as the actual protesters.

We can't force either group to leave, but I hope every year that our attendees will be the bigger man and disperse.  'counter protesting' as in those videos or as seen at Fanime is hardly something I would call satisfying or progressive.  Few people agree with the protesters (same goes for the WBC) so pointing out their silliness is not really anything novel.  Shouting and yelling obscenities at them just makes you as much of a public nuisance.

If you want to do something really progrssive, instead of forming a group to yell back at them, form a group to make a calm human wall. And instead of yelling at the protesters, when the protester insults a congoer, say something nice to the congoer and tell them to just ignore the crazy people on the street.

If people did that, if people helped us keep crowds away instead of encouraging it, THEN that might be a satisfying and progressive way to deal with them. (remember when Logistics just came up with an excuse to park a supply truck in front of their spot?)

MaigoLily

I feel that it is fine that they are expressing their opinions, but it almost feels like they are only pushing their own views (that I personally think are overly stretching teachings in the Bible and Testaments) onto us. I usually ignore them, but as I was leaving, one man pointed to me and told me I was going to die in hell because I did not believe in God. I don't know how they can pick out who believes in god or not, but he was right, I'm Buddhist, but is cosplaying going to send me to hell? I have a life you know. It kind of bothered me because I felt threatened, but you know, I had a fun time and I wasn't going to make a huge fuss. I have my own views, so they can have their own. It's completely fine.

I think that they probably feel threatened by all the trollers around then when they are only doing what they think is right, which is what we are doing too (doing what we believe in or like). So I think that both sides should just respect each other. We both are thorns in each other's sides, but trying to do anything against either group would just be creating a bad reputation for both group. So I think it is fine that they want to protest, but neither side should threaten another.

And the way that the protesters are protesting is basically threatening us or in my opinion. I don't think that anyone has tried to fix that. I'd rather go to a church and hear about faith and teachings or read the Bible and Testaments than get yelled in the ear that I am going to go to hell if I don't believe in God. And the only reason they give me is hate-laced opinions with religion as an excuse.

I hope I didn't offend anyone, but I wanted to get this off my chest for a while now. If I offended anyone, I am truly sorry.

Admiral Donuts

Quote from: MaigoLily on March 29, 2013, 01:03:19 AM
I think that they probably feel threatened by all the trollers around then when they are only doing what they think is right, which is what we are doing too (doing what we believe in or like). So I think that both sides should just respect each other. We both are thorns in each other's sides, but trying to do anything against either group would just be creating a bad reputation for both group.

The major difference we don't go to their church and protest.

MaigoLily

Quote from: Jeimizu on March 29, 2013, 06:57:25 PM
Quote from: MaigoLily on March 29, 2013, 01:03:19 AM
I think that they probably feel threatened by all the trollers around then when they are only doing what they think is right, which is what we are doing too (doing what we believe in or like). So I think that both sides should just respect each other. We both are thorns in each other's sides, but trying to do anything against either group would just be creating a bad reputation for both group.

The major difference we don't go to their church and protest.

Yes, that is true. I really think they are just a group of extremists, but hey, they're human too.

MikanCos

I remember the protesters ... a cosplayer walked up to them and made them go away. I wonder what he said.
Fanime Mascot Candy (5 years)
Previously StageZero Performer (Now SZ Staff!)

Lucifargundam

Quote from: 01 on March 29, 2013, 08:20:26 PM
I remember the protesters ... a cosplayer walked up to them and made them go away. I wonder what he said.
It was raptor-jesus saying "stfu" :P jk

if that the master a 'prentice have,
Entirely then that he him tell,
That he the craft ably may know,
Wheresoever he go under the sun.

Reyak

Attention is just what they want, as attractive the idea of "trolling" may be.
Hell, i'm too much of a backseat sub-character to even face them, but if it's really a problem for you, try earplugs?

MikanCos

Did anyone see the conga line? There was just one protester but he was sssooo annoying. Everyone found it fun to mess with him. He ignored us but he finally went away hours later.

eralston

Messing with them means you are giving them attention which is exactly what they want from you. If you truly want to show that you don't condone their actions the best way is to simply ignore them.
Evan Ralston

Assistant Director of Guest Relations

MikanCos

Quote from: eralston on March 31, 2013, 08:40:54 AM
Messing with them means you are giving them attention which is exactly what they want from you. If you truly want to show that you don't condone their actions the best way is to simply ignore them.

that is right  :)

Glitch

If their goals are like the Westboro, they're trying to make money by suing people who hit them or by suing a facility that tries to deny their freedom of speech. Of course neither happens because Fanime and the city of san jose know how the legal world works, and because most people turn the tables and troll them back.

As much fun as people as have mocking them, it's not a good idea since it uses up staff resources. That could be used for much better things. You just gotta resist trolling. Yes, I know it's hard.

otakuya

Ai_Kaneco

I think they are sad people and we should be the better ones and lead by example by "turning the other cheek". I too was scared my first con by them, and i learned quickly by veteren con goers to just ignore and walk away. Without those vets i wouldnt have made it. It is our duty to the new con goers to set the right path of not being afraid and having respect for the greater good and just walking away. I agree with everyone else, as soon as we all ignore them the sooner they leave us be. Who knows? maybe we can help them find it in their hearts that we are not evil but but good people doing what they are doing, standing for what we believe in.
watashi wa honshino no matataki <3

MikanCos

San Jose has losts of protestors each year, not just for Fanime....but also stores and other places. It is best to keep away from them and maybe they'll keep away from us.

PinkHairSasuke

These protestors seriously just need to be ignored. No attention given and they leave. Trust me, I know what it's like to be heckled and riled up by them. I've learned that ignoring them, like everyone has said, is the best way to handle them. I used to do counter measures against them such as presenting Yaoi or Yuri manga in front of them which resulted in people bowing down before it. Funny as it is, it just gives attention to an undeserving group. Spend your time enjoying the con, don't waste it "fighting" a battle you can't win.