NO HANDTRUCKS?!

Started by Alejandro Cuba, March 29, 2013, 01:42:28 PM

Alejandro Cuba

As a direct quote from the new table agreement: 3. Artist may only move material to and from the Event which can be hand-carried in a single trip without the use of dollies, hand trucks or other mechanical equipment.

What is the reason behind this? Is it that you are trying to discourage any artist who sells more then a few prints or bookmarks?!!  Or just everyone who sells stuff besides prints?  Because that's what it sounds like! I sell a bulky item that is ALWAYS in multiple boxes, which I don't always bring all of to the table even.  But I still need enough that a dolly is required, especially for the box that has my table display!  That is a very heavy box and even if we Artists are allowed to park behind the giant balloon that is South Hall it would still be a real challenge to carry it!  And I don't know about other artists but I always take the dolly back to my room after set up day!

Also, did you think about the fact that some of the reoccurring artists at this con are disabled?  I know one in particular who is a huge seller who is sadly mostly confined to a wheelchair these days and has her boyfriend help her bring in and set up her table items on a dolly!  So by saying that Artists can't use anything except their arms to carry stuff in you are also in serious danger of violating the Americans with Disabilities Act! To use a loose paraphrase: "No public venue shall inhibit the ability of disabled persons to access the venue."  This also means that denying them assistance in this case could be considered a violation of their rights!

If the real reason behind this rule is to reduce clutter behind the tables, increase the space between artists backs.  Even the people with prints usually have a pvc display and boxes with more of their prints under the table or next to them or behind them.  When there's barely a person's width between the backs of the artist tables, of course there will be issues.  My table mate and I could not even push our chairs back properly to stand if the table behind us already had their chairs pushed back some.  If you are hoping to prevent clutter behind the artist tables, tell them they need to take the dollies/suitcases/whatever back to their rooms or cars!

I would very much like for staff to explain why this rule has been put in place.

eemychann

not a staff member but - there are union regulations in place on certain places. it's actually standard for a line like this to be in dealer's hall agreements. if you have more merchandise than you can carry in  your hands, you have to pay freight charges and have the official employees cart it in and set it up for you. Which IS an option in this case, from the facebook comments. It's just that it's really expensive.

I can only assume it hasn't been included in AA stuff in the past because they generally assumed most artists were not moving large amounts of stuff anyway, but if people have been using trucks then it starts falling into union regs.

Anyway, to the best of my knowledge it's not about space and it's not their fault.

As for a disability exception, that you'd need an actual staff member to give an opinion on.

Alejandro Cuba

Ok, two things.  You said that it's standard for dealer's hall what does that have to do with Artist Alley?  Two what do unions have to do with this at all.  Everything I have can fit in a decent sized car, but that doesn't mean I can carry it all.

Thank you for your thoughts but it has resolved nothing for me.

ewu

Thanks eemychann for replying. You are indeed correct. There are strict union rules that we must adhere to. All items carried in to any SJCCF venue must be handled by the union. This rule applies to the dealers hall as well as the artist alley.  However, personal items such as a suitcase fall under an exception. It has not been a problem until recently when certain sellers have been abusing the rules and spoiling it for everyone. If you are interested in bringing in more items, we can arrange for the union to bring in your items, but the cost for the seller starts at roughly $250 for the first 1,000 lbs.

We are inquiring how this will effect those with disabilities and it is likely that special dispensation will be granted to those who need such assistance.

We have no desire to limit your profits and really have no gain in doing so. So, you will understand how I have difficulty understanding why you infer that we have nefarious aims in limiting the amount of items to be carried in.
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom

M

Quote from: Alejandro Cuba on March 29, 2013, 02:16:49 PM
Ok, two things.  You said that it's standard for dealer's hall what does that have to do with Artist Alley?  Two what do unions have to do with this at all.  Everything I have can fit in a decent sized car, but that doesn't mean I can carry it all.

Thank you for your thoughts but it has resolved nothing for me.
Please calm down, as we're only trying to help. You might feel that our Dealer's Hall and Artist Alley are different, but for the intentions of space usage, they both follow the same union rules.
FanimeCon Head of Marketing & Director of Communications (2008-Current)
(Former Fan Services Director, Registration Staff, & Volunteer)
Have questions (about almost anything)? Message me!

Oniko

Its all about red tape.  I dont think Fanime can do anything about this because it is probably a Convention center rule or city rule.
06- Ragnarok Huntress / 07- Haruhi Suzumiya
08- Shana / 09 - Luluko
10 - Holo / 11 - Flaaffy
12 - Inga / 13 - Lizbeth

M

Quote from: Oniko on March 29, 2013, 02:39:02 PM
Its all about red tape.  I dont think Fanime can do anything about this because it is probably a Convention center rule or city rule.
We can continue to work to the best of our abilities for everyone involved. :)

chibimonster

I thought the "no wheels" rule was in place for a while and that artists just ignored it or something...

I personally use a backpack to carry stuff in, as well as large grocery store bags. I don't find it all that hard to transport merchandise without wheels. Then again, I can only speak for those who sell prints, buttons, and small items, as I don't sell anything large.

Alejandro Cuba

Alright, I'm going to put this up saying that I have since resolved my confusion and that my initial anger has faded.  While I still find the entire situation quite irritating, I at least have an understanding of why the rule was added and can admit that I overreacted some.  However, I would like to suggest that in the future, when making such rules or policy changes, please at least give us a little blurb about why it is being put in place. Especially when the change effects the artists alley/ artists so drastically.  For example, I didn't know about the union so to me the change seemed entirely unfair.  My confusion was not helped by the wording of the new rule because there was no mention that suitcases would not be include in the "other mechanical equipment" category.  I would seriously recommend making sure this is made know or stated in the rules.  Even a quick few sentences saying, "Here's this new rule, we have had to put it in place. This is why, here are the exceptions (aka suitcases), please try and abide by this new change. Thank you, and sorry for any inconvenience." would have been great and my problem would have been resolved and I would never have started this thread.

Thank you, and I will do my best to adjust how I move my inventory.

M

Quote from: Alejandro Cuba on March 29, 2013, 06:49:16 PM
Alright, I'm going to put this up saying that I have since resolved my confusion and that my initial anger has faded.  While I still find the entire situation quite irritating, I at least have an understanding of why the rule was added and can admit that I overreacted some.  However, I would like to suggest that in the future, when making such rules or policy changes, please at least give us a little blurb about why it is being put in place. Especially when the change effects the artists alley/ artists so drastically.  For example, I didn't know about the union so to me the change seemed entirely unfair.  My confusion was not helped by the wording of the new rule because there was no mention that suitcases would not be include in the "other mechanical equipment" category.  I would seriously recommend making sure this is made know or stated in the rules.  Even a quick few sentences saying, "Here's this new rule, we have had to put it in place. This is why, here are the exceptions (aka suitcases), please try and abide by this new change. Thank you, and sorry for any inconvenience." would have been great and my problem would have been resolved and I would never have started this thread.

Thank you, and I will do my best to adjust how I move my inventory.
Keep in mind that we can't explain all of the new changes in a quick, short blurb and our goal is to try to keep all of this documentation down in pages (who wants to read through a 100 page document?). For example, you weren't aware of the unions while some people have no idea what a union is (not sure how long that explanation would be).

It's why we have so many ways of contacting us, so we can answer your questions (no matter how big or small). Otherwise, we would have locked this thread early and just said "because it's the new rule!" :P

Admiral Donuts

Does this apply to the Swap Meet as well? My friends and I have used a hand truck in previous years.

nainu

QuoteHowever, personal items such as a suitcase fall under an exception.

I normally bring my items in a small suitcase; my question is, are suitcases allowed as an exception to this rule?

ewu

Quote from: Jeimizu on March 29, 2013, 07:32:29 PM
Does this apply to the Swap Meet as well? My friends and I have used a hand truck in previous years.

It is venue based. When the Swap Meet was in the Fairmont, the rule did not apply. However, the swap meet will be moving back into the SJCCF and the rule will apply this year.

Quote from: nainu on March 29, 2013, 09:03:48 PM
I normally bring my items in a small suitcase; my question is, are suitcases allowed as an exception to this rule?

You may bring your items in a suitcase
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom

Yuu- pon

Does it have a limit as to how many people may carry item? If not just have multiple persons help you. Perhaps multiple artist can come up with a time where youcan meet up and all work together to unload. That should more than enough.

Oniko

Quote from: Yuu- pon on March 29, 2013, 10:58:41 PM
Does it have a limit as to how many people may carry item? If not just have multiple persons help you. Perhaps multiple artist can come up with a time where youcan meet up and all work together to unload. That should more than enough.
But I think it's only one helper (maybe 2? ) per artist.
08- Shana / 09 - Luluko
10 - Holo / 11 - Flaaffy
12 - Inga / 13 - Lizbeth

Yuu- pon

Quote from: Oniko on March 29, 2013, 11:25:28 PM

If a large group of people are unloading at the same time it would be impossible to keep track.

Oniko

Quote from: Yuu- pon on March 29, 2013, 11:30:42 PM

If a large group of people are unloading at the same time it would be impossible to keep track.
but thats the point of the helper stickers. And when you sign in if your helper is there they also have to sign in.  I would think that staff would tell anyone else they have to leave, unless they were letting people go before. They also strictly tell the artists they are not allowed to go to their table before signing in.

Editing: Unless you mean during open hours, then anyone with a badge could technically enter.  Before opening hours only artist and their helpers with a special sticker may enter.  At least they stopped my friend from entering last year because they had not claimed a helper sticker yet.
08- Shana / 09 - Luluko
10 - Holo / 11 - Flaaffy
12 - Inga / 13 - Lizbeth

Yuu- pon

Quote from: Oniko on March 30, 2013, 12:12:43 AM
Quote from: Yuu- pon on March 29, 2013, 11:30:42 PM

but thats the point of the helper stickers. And when you sign in if your helper is there they also have to sign in.  I would think that staff would tell anyone else they have to leave, unless they were letting people go before. They also strictly tell the artists they are not allowed to go to their table before signing in.

Editing: Unless you mean during open hours, then anyone with a badge could technically enter.  Before opening hours only artist and their helpers with a special sticker may enter.  At least they stopped my friend from entering last year because they had not claimed a helper sticker yet.

Yes during open hours. Who would notice people handing you things throughout the day? Even if they did, I dont think it would matter as I out it breaks anything withing the contract.

M

Quote from: Yuu- pon on March 30, 2013, 12:57:33 AMYes during open hours. Who would notice people handing you things throughout the day? Even if they did, I dont think it would matter as I out it breaks anything withing the contract.
Friendly reminder that not only do FanimeCon staff monitor the forums, but San Jose Convention Center and union reps too. By attempting to skirt around the rules, *we* get in trouble. Remember that this rule is being enforced due to others breaking rules. We try to make FanimeCon fun for everyone, but breaking the rules is why we can't have nice things.

[Edit: Also, I'm locking this thread as it's gotten a bit out of hand.]