2015 Cosplay "HELP Me..." thread

Started by BSaphire, April 14, 2013, 06:56:56 PM

BSaphire

~ So you want to cosplay and you aren't sure who or which character?
~ Maybe your stuck on how to sew a part of your cosplay?
~ Your no good at props/wigs/costume so where can you buy it?
~ How about what kind of pattern could help you create that piece?
~ Of course there are always the:
"Where/What kind of makeup?"
"Looking for this or that wig?"
"Where can I get it?"
"Contact lenses and what do you think?"

These questions and thousands of others are always being asked. Well here is the perfect one stop shop thread for you to post those questions and where other cospeeps can offer their help to solve those many cosplaying dilemmas that go into each project we choose. Sometimes it is just choosing that stops us from cosplaying and those questions are ok too! :)

Post your questions here and include links to photos of the subject if possible.

Much love to all cospeeps!
BSaphire
BSaphire
Cosplayer Gatherings Organizer 2005-2015
Cosplayer Gatherings Department Head 2009-2015
BSP - Cosplayer, Costumer, Photographer, Journalist
Founder:
AC   DC

BSaphire

BSaphire
Cosplayer Gatherings Organizer 2005-2015
Cosplayer Gatherings Department Head 2009-2015
BSP - Cosplayer, Costumer, Photographer, Journalist
Founder:
AC   DC

Chasing Shadows

I'm not sure if this is the right place to put it, but I thought it might be a good area to start.

Last year I saw many different cosplayers meeting up with Photographers to do private shoots. I have a costume I've worked on for a long time and would love to find someone to take really nice pictures of it. Are there photographers on these forums who set up appointments? Is it something you just hope you get lucky with at the convention? Or should I check elsewhere for this and if so, where?

Any help or advice would be really appreciated.
Fanime Cosplay Plans
Holo | Spice and Wolf
Filthy Casual

PinkHairSasuke

Quote from: Chasing Shadows on April 24, 2013, 06:05:28 AM
I'm not sure if this is the right place to put it, but I thought it might be a good area to start.

Last year I saw many different cosplayers meeting up with Photographers to do private shoots. I have a costume I've worked on for a long time and would love to find someone to take really nice pictures of it. Are there photographers on these forums who set up appointments? Is it something you just hope you get lucky with at the convention? Or should I check elsewhere for this and if so, where?

Any help or advice would be really appreciated.

I've talked to photographers at cons before and they are usually completely booked for said con. You need to scour forums and such to find photographers and set up an appointment for a shoot at the con. Try posting a want ad in this forum category or contacting some of the photographers who posted a topic in 2012. You could also try posting on a site like this. Hope this helps!

Chasing Shadows

This helps a lot! Thank you I really appreciate it I'll give both a try ^^
Fanime Cosplay Plans
Holo | Spice and Wolf
Filthy Casual

Nina Star 9

If you want to set up a formal shoot with someone, so it's a guaranteed thing, follow PinkHairedSasuke's advice.

However, if you can't find a photog who has room in their schedule for you, you can still get nice photos! I've had photogs pull me aside for an impromptu shoot before, but that's not really a sure thing, and if you hang out in areas where photogs tend to gather, you can get some really nice shots that are technically "hall shots," but look more professional. Photos like this, this, and this are all "hall shots," and shots like this and this are from impromptu shoots. (I've never actually done a -scheduled- shoot before -- everything you see in my gallery is either a "hall shot" or from an impromptu shoot. The one where I'm next to the ocean was actually at Yaoicon 2011, and is a "hall" shot)

So if worst comes to worst and you can't get a scheduled shoot, see if you can grab a photog or if a photog will grab you, and you can still get some nice shots. Just hang out in a location that is relatively attractive near a lot of photogs, and be sure to ask for emails/websites/business cards/etc. so you can be sure to get your photos after the con. (I'm really bad at asking, and I never find maybe 90% of the photos taken of me -- eep!)

Some photogs will pull people aside for just a few minutes (maybe 5-10), so they can fit a lot of people in, and some will do more intensive impromptu shoots (the longest I've had was maybe 30 minutes?), but typically, it will just be a somewhat out-of-the-way location (the backside of the hotel the con was at [SacAnime] and across the street from the con [Fanime], respectively, for the two I posted, but I've also had the "go to the backside of the wall" type shoots), for just a few minutes and a few poses. You won't get as many pics or as nice of locations as with a scheduled shoot, and it isn't a guarantee that you'll get a shoot, but you can always try asking a photog if they are willing to do another pose or two, if they don't ask first. It's not a -terrible- option, and hoping to do an impromptu shoot is really the worst-case scenario here. :)

Good luck, and I hope you can get some good pictures! :)

nooblet

my wig arrived with a wig stand, but I have no clue what to do. I want to try it on but I feel like I'll  mess it up if I open it and try it on now, and then when it comes time for the convention the wig might be messed up- but I'm just assuming that. do I have to leave it on the wig stand after I wear it once? tips on wig care in general?

my wig is for Mika Harima from Durarara!! btw

PinkHairSasuke

Quote from: nooblet on May 03, 2013, 07:18:30 PM
my wig arrived with a wig stand, but I have no clue what to do. I want to try it on but I feel like I'll  mess it up if I open it and try it on now, and then when it comes time for the convention the wig might be messed up- but I'm just assuming that. do I have to leave it on the wig stand after I wear it once? tips on wig care in general?

my wig is for Mika Harima from Durarara!! btw

I'm assuming your wig is already styled in the fashion of Mika. If you bought it directly like that then I would highly recommend trying it on and seeing how it looks in comparison to the character's hair so you can see if it satisfies you. If it doesn't, then you might need to do some styling. There are numerous ways to style a wig, everyone has their own methods. I personally use Moco De Gorilla hair gel. By using that, my Sasuke Uchiha wig has remained in Sasuke status since Fanime last year. I use it because it's strong and able to be washed out with ease for restyling. To answer your main question, unless your wig is flimsily styled, it should be fine if you try it on. I would out it back on the wig stand after trying it on also. Mannequin head I assume?

Now, with wig care, there are also many methods for preservation. Cosplay specific quality wigs I use mannequin heads to hold them, these are usually easily purchasable from stores that sell wigs or costume stores; local stores too. Another thing that can be done, this is what my friend Amanda does with her wig she uses for Rocky Horror, is put the wig in a well ventilated shoe box. She's had that wig for over a year and she stores it that way and it still looks brand new. That method was told to her by the lady she purchased the wig from. Another thing that I do for lower quality wigs, like Halloween ones and things like that, is put them in a plastic bag like the ones from Target and stores of the nature. I then hang the bag from a hanger and store them in a well ventilated area such as an open closet.

Hope this helps you! If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me.

crymaxing

hi, I'm cosplaying prince komali from the legend of zelda: wind waker. he looks like this http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20081017021233/zelda/images/c/ce/Prince_Komali_Normal.png

I've made a beak out of clay, but I'm unsure how to secure it to my face. I've seen others suggest spirit gum, but I don't think it's viscous/strong enough to hold on something that large. do you guys have any suggestions?

PinkHairSasuke

Quote from: crymaxing on May 08, 2013, 01:27:08 PM
hi, I'm cosplaying prince komali from the legend of zelda: wind waker. he looks like this http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20081017021233/zelda/images/c/ce/Prince_Komali_Normal.png

I've made a beak out of clay, but I'm unsure how to secure it to my face. I've seen others suggest spirit gum, but I don't think it's viscous/strong enough to hold on something that large. do you guys have any suggestions?

Spirit gum would be good to use for that. Another thing you can try is using eyelash glue, it tends to be pretty easy to apply.

crymaxing

Quote from: PinkHairSasuke on May 12, 2013, 11:53:09 PM

Spirit gum would be good to use for that. Another thing you can try is using eyelash glue, it tends to be pretty easy to apply.

is there any specific brand of eyelash glue you would recommend or would any do?

Lucifargundam

superglue? hot glue? remake it out of paper mache' and glue it?

if that the master a 'prentice have,
Entirely then that he him tell,
That he the craft ably may know,
Wheresoever he go under the sun.

Nina Star 9

Eyelash glue wouldn't be nearly strong enough for that. @_____@;; Try Spirit gum. Be sure to do a test run or two before the con so you are sure that it won't fall off.

PinkHairSasuke

Quote from: crymaxing on May 15, 2013, 12:35:57 AM
Quote from: PinkHairSasuke on May 12, 2013, 11:53:09 PM

is there any specific brand of eyelash glue you would recommend or would any do?
That I'm not sure of, my friend is more the expert on eyelash glue strength.

Quote from: Lucifargundam on May 15, 2013, 01:15:10 AM
superglue? hot glue? remake it out of paper mache' and glue it?
That's not a bad idea at all. I personally would've done paper mache to begin with.

Quote from: Nina Star 9 on May 15, 2013, 08:36:43 AM
Eyelash glue wouldn't be nearly strong enough for that. @_____@;; Try Spirit gum. Be sure to do a test run or two before the con so you are sure that it won't fall off.
It really depends on how strong of an eyelash glue you use actually. Some can be pretty strong and long lasting. But yes, test runs must be done.

abcbadcat

Okay so I forgot to buy my skin color paint and don't want to pay a TON for overnight shipping so does anyone know a place in San Jose or surrounding areas where I can buy some? I have never done skin paint before so I don't know where to even look.

Any advice would be MUCH appreciated

Nina Star 9

Quote from: abcbadcat on May 15, 2013, 10:53:01 AM
Okay so I forgot to buy my skin color paint and don't want to pay a TON for overnight shipping so does anyone know a place in San Jose or surrounding areas where I can buy some? I have never done skin paint before so I don't know where to even look.

Any advice would be MUCH appreciated
Doing a quick google search for costume shops in San Jose, I found two that look like they have makeup:
http://www.natashasattic.com/
http://www.victoriasdancecostume.com/
I'm sure there are more, but I only spent about a minute looking this up. ;) Pretty much any costume shop that serves the theatrical community (rather than strictly a Halloween-type costume shop) or meant for more serious costumers should have the theatrical makeup that you need. I'm not sure what brand or colors you are looking at, but you can always call ahead of time to make sure that they have what you need, and hopefully anyone who works there will be helpful and knowledgable enough to give you tips.

At my local costume shop (I'm up in Sacto, otherwise I'd point you to this one, though it is at the corner of Madison and Fair Oaks, across from Beverly's, if anyone is in that area and needs some emergency makeup), I was able to ask for advice from the (somewhat unhelpful -- good thing I did a lot of research beforehand) employee and get a container of troll grey light grey Aquacolor and deep purple Ben Nye, both of which should last me for MANY wears of the two costumes I need these for, and a bottle of Mehron Barrier Spray, for about $20, which is a huge savings over what that would cost online with shipping. I can't speak to how much it costs at whatever costume shops are in San Jose, but the prices of the items themselves were comparable to online stores, and I didn't have to pay or wait for shipping. :)

Otherwise, what kind of skin paint are you doing? Do you know which type you need (creme, water-based, alcohol-based, airbrush, pax, etc.)? I can point you to some tutorials and some comparisons of different types, if you don't know what you need. I went with two different types (creme and water-base) because I was doing two different applications -- the creme is for some stenciled tattoos, which would require something less wet, and the water-base is to cover my entire face and neck, since I tend towards oily skin and was wary of creme because of that.

Oh, yes. the obligatory "SEAL YOUR PAINT" statement. I almost forgot. Depending on the type, you'll probably have to powder it and use a sealing spray on it.

abcbadcat

Wow, thanks for all the advice Nina!

I am going to be cosplaying Marshall Lee from Adventure Time and I ended up visiting Natasha's Attic and picking up some powder and some grey Ben Nye creme. I'll primarily be using it for my arms, face, neck, upper chest and ankles. I too have slightly oily skin but the person who helped me said I can just use the regular face scrub and the powder and it should be fine.

I was on the fence about the sealing spray but should I go back and get some?

nooblet

@PinkHairSasuke thankyou for the advice! forgive me for replying so late. I do not have a mannequin head but I think the stand I have will suffice for the con :) I just thought of carrying he stand and the wig to the con as a hassle, so I may try the ventilated shoebox trick.

nooblet

anyone have advice for cosmetic contacts? my vision is 20/20 so I do not need prescribed colored contacts. I just worry if cosmetic contacts will be bad for me. I don't want to risk damaging my eyes just because of cosplay >.<

Nina Star 9

Quote from: abcbadcat on May 17, 2013, 11:28:04 AM
Wow, thanks for all the advice Nina!

I am going to be cosplaying Marshall Lee from Adventure Time and I ended up visiting Natasha's Attic and picking up some powder and some grey Ben Nye creme. I'll primarily be using it for my arms, face, neck, upper chest and ankles. I too have slightly oily skin but the person who helped me said I can just use the regular face scrub and the powder and it should be fine.

I was on the fence about the sealing spray but should I go back and get some?
I'm glad you found what you were looking for!

For your ankles, can you wear grey tights of thin socks? I know that a lot of Homestucks use tights for their legs, and I'm planning on wearing tights for my own HS troll cosplay (it's a leotard, so my upper thighs will show), but I'm not sure if just the ankles will pose much of a problem in terms as rubbing off on your clothes and on other objects. (upper thighs, obviously, would have the potential to rub off on chairs and such)

Get the sealing spray. Seriously. People say that you can use hairspray, but you should use at least -something- to really properly seal it. The powder helps hold it to your skin, and then the spray helps hold the powder in place, so there will be MUCH less chance of rub-off on yourself and others, and you really don't want to be that person with unsealed paint.

Quote from: nooblet on May 17, 2013, 12:31:15 PM
anyone have advice for cosmetic contacts? my vision is 20/20 so I do not need prescribed colored contacts. I just worry if cosmetic contacts will be bad for me. I don't want to risk damaging my eyes just because of cosplay >.<
Go to an eye doctor. Contacts don't just have corrective power in the prescription, but a base curve, as well, so you want to make sure that your base curve matches that of the contacts. You can also get advice on how to properly insert/remove them and how to care of them. this is your vision -- be sure to take care of it!

Also, some people have medical reasons why they can't wear contacts (I'm one of those people), and you might not know it until you ask an eye doctor about it, and you don't want to try to wear contacts when you really shouldn't be.