2015 Cosplay "HELP Me..." thread

Started by BSaphire, April 14, 2013, 06:56:56 PM

Freya

Hey, this is my first time cosplaying ever - I'm going as Dawn from Pokemon (http://i.imgur.com/d0CKSKp.png) and I just have a question about her clips. I plan on using craft foam on hairclips, but I want to know what can I do to give it a smooth, shiny, plastic look? Is there a specific type of paint for that? I was also wondering how well does craft foam flex and bend, since I'm using the hair clips that you snap open and close (like this: http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=413963&catid=183396).

rubysky

my xiaoyu costume (from tekken) is too high at the collar and need to be taken down a bit! >_< i know it's last min but anyone experienced with sewing machine that can help me out? ty... ^^

amused_

Hi, all.  First time cosplayer here. 

I purchased a wig that is in the style of Tezuka Kunimitsu from Prince of Tennis, but when I try it on it just doesn't look right.  Not anime-ish enough.  I'll probably need to style it with product, yet I don't wanna mess it up.  Is there anyone that would be willing to help me style it if I bought the proper hair product?  Would just need a few minutes of your time say Saturday morning? 

Thanks in advance.

PinkHairSasuke

Quote from: amused_ on May 21, 2013, 07:50:28 AM
Hi, all.  First time cosplayer here. 

I purchased a wig that is in the style of Tezuka Kunimitsu from Prince of Tennis, but when I try it on it just doesn't look right.  Not anime-ish enough.  I'll probably need to style it with product, yet I don't wanna mess it up.  Is there anyone that would be willing to help me style it if I bought the proper hair product?  Would just need a few minutes of your time say Saturday morning? 

Thanks in advance.
I can help you if you like. PM me and we can set something up for Saturday morning.

Melly

ok so, i ordered TWO PAIRS off ebay and it seems like neither of them are going to come on time ;o; /Thursday

so i was wondering if anyone on here had a pair of Chii/Persocom ears i could bother for the span of the convention ;.;

i know it's a long shot, but i can't really make my own, and i already spent like 30 bucks on two pairs that probably aren't going to make it by Thursday v_v

i just feel like i can't be Chii without the ears! D; it's the last piece i need for my cosplay v_v

any help would be loved <3!!

amused_

Quote from: PinkHairSasuke on May 21, 2013, 09:40:44 AM
I can help you if you like. PM me and we can set something up for Saturday morning.

I'd appreciate that!  PMed!

Kuudere

You sure you don't want to just make them? They're apparently very cheap and easy to make (probably would take less than an hour to do).

Use craft foam sheets and this pattern:
http://s106.photobucket.com/user/dbz120/media/cos_chi1.jpg.html

Then glue it to a headband, and you're done! They end up looking pretty good for being so cheap, but if you want it to have a shine to it, mod podge the foam (or use a similar gloss coat) and it'll look more plastic-y.

Melly

Quote from: Kuudere on May 22, 2013, 08:23:55 AM
You sure you don't want to just make them? They're apparently very cheap and easy to make (probably would take less than an hour to do).

Use craft foam sheets and this pattern:
http://s106.photobucket.com/user/dbz120/media/cos_chi1.jpg.html

Then glue it to a headband, and you're done! They end up looking pretty good for being so cheap, but if you want it to have a shine to it, mod podge the foam (or use a similar gloss coat) and it'll look more plastic-y.

i was totally going to do this but the Michael's i went too didn't have any craft foam, in white OR PINK.

even when i had them look for some more, STILL NOTHING :( LOL

nooblet

I have met a predicament wih my Mika Harima wig: the bangs are longer than what I was expecting- and when I say long, I mean LONG. The back and sides of the wig are great, but the front is not. Anyone willing to cut and style the bangs for me, preferably someone with previous experience? I can't exactly go to a barber now or tmrw; I leave for Fanime afterschool.

picture from website:
http://www.fm-anime.com/durarara-mika-harima-cosplay-wig-p-290.html

what the front of the wig looks like:
http://ashwashere.deviantart.com/art/Mika-Wig-from-FM-Anime-373438065

how Mika's front looks like:
http://thecartdriver.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/vlcsnap-2010-02-27-11h38m54s173-460x257.png

nevermind, I got it down  :)

amused_

Shoutout to PinkHairSasuke and his crew for helping me out with my Tezuka cosplay. 

akamitsuki

I am hoping to cosplay Girl's Generation Ahri next year ( http://minus.com/lzjFYqvUV41f4 ) and I need to make a white blazer....
I'm on a tight budget...does anybody have any suggestions or advice for the blazer and the glowing orb?

Trial of the Dragon

Hello, everyone! I wish I could help you out with your cosplay questions, but alas, I'm simply a novice at cosplay construction myself! So if anyone is willing to help me out of my complete and utter bafflement at crafting a dream-cosplay of mine, they would have my undying gratitude. <3

For years, I've always wanted to cosplay Aigis from Persona 3 (and other games). Here's a reference shot!

I have a decent knowledge of sewing, but finding and knowing how to put the materials for the golden parts, arm pieces, and headband seem to be something I could use some advice on. The white torso piece is another thing, as well. The silver notches on it are beyond me, aha. I'm pretty hopeless!

Does anyone have any experience about what kind of material I should look for that will be durable and (preferably) not too pricey?

PinkHairSasuke

Quote from: akamitsuki on May 28, 2013, 03:21:30 PM
I am hoping to cosplay Girl's Generation Ahri next year ( http://minus.com/lzjFYqvUV41f4 ) and I need to make a white blazer....
I'm on a tight budget...does anybody have any suggestions or advice for the blazer and the glowing orb?
Quote from: akamitsuki on May 28, 2013, 03:21:30 PM

Both of you can PM me if you like and I can try to help in any way I can.

SkylerKarashi

i know this isnt exactly the right place for it, but its where i can start.  :P i noticed a lot of ouran high school host club cosplayers this year, and there hasnt been a gathering for it since 2011. id love to take over the gathering, but i wouldnt even no where to begin.  :o i need help. XD thanks.
My Cosplay For Fanime 2024:
Thursday: Closet Kaminari/Yuri (BNHA/Yuri On Ice)
Friday: Goth (Boyfriends)
Saturday: Red (Pokemon & Smash Bros)
Sunday: Casual Kaminari (BNHA)
Monday: Goth (Boyfriends)

xxKawaiiPancakexx

I have a very long extensive list of what I want to cosplay but not really sure which ones would be the best. I'm really short about 4'11 and really petite/skinny. So whenever I do cosplay I usually get called the lollicon or chibi ver. of said character. I'm open to any suggestions of cosplay unless it is really really really really....I mean REALLLY revealing. I mean I did Juliet Starling and it wasn't that bad. I think I'll lay off bunny suits until I'm of legal age.

Cosplays I have done:
Haruhi Suzumiya
Yuri Nakamura
Noel Vermillion
Naruto Uzumaki
Shippuden Naruto Uzumaki
Kenny from South Park
Sasuke Uchiha
Kakashi Hatake
Sailor Moon
Juliet Starling
Itachi Uchiha
Hatsune Miku
Misty

PinkHairSasuke

Quote from: gary925 on May 29, 2013, 04:48:02 PM
i know this isnt exactly the right place for it, but its where i can start.  :P i noticed a lot of ouran high school host club cosplayers this year, and there hasnt been a gathering for it since 2011. id love to take over the gathering, but i wouldnt even no where to begin.  :o i need help. XD thanks.
Find out if the last organizer is still active on the forums. If so, message them and ask if they're okay with you taking over the gathering. If they aren't active, then the gathering is free to be started.

Quote from: xxKawaiiPancakexx on May 29, 2013, 06:59:52 PM
I have a very long extensive list of what I want to cosplay but not really sure which ones would be the best. I'm really short about 4'11 and really petite/skinny. So whenever I do cosplay I usually get called the lollicon or chibi ver. of said character. I'm open to any suggestions of cosplay unless it is really really really really....I mean REALLLY revealing. I mean I did Juliet Starling and it wasn't that bad. I think I'll lay off bunny suits until I'm of legal age.

Cosplays I have done:
Haruhi Suzumiya
Yuri Nakamura
Noel Vermillion
Naruto Uzumaki
Shippuden Naruto Uzumaki
Kenny from South Park
Sasuke Uchiha
Kakashi Hatake
Sailor Moon
Juliet Starling
Itachi Uchiha
Hatsune Miku
Misty

If you want to go off of height and such, I'd recommend doing Konohamaru from Naruto or Chopper from One Piece. Also, one of the Cutie Mark Crusaders from My Little Pony would work too. I've also seen that WWE Diva AJ Lee has become quite a popular cosplay due to her outfits and the fact that she's a huge anime and video game fan. All of these are just off the top of my head haha

SkylerKarashi

Quote from: PinkHairSasuke on May 30, 2013, 11:54:15 AM
Quote from: gary925 on May 29, 2013, 04:48:02 PM
Find out if the last organizer is still active on the forums. If so, message them and ask if they're okay with you taking over the gathering. If they aren't active, then the gathering is free to be started.

sweet, thanks. :)
My Cosplay For Fanime 2024:
Thursday: Closet Kaminari/Yuri (BNHA/Yuri On Ice)
Friday: Goth (Boyfriends)
Saturday: Red (Pokemon & Smash Bros)
Sunday: Casual Kaminari (BNHA)
Monday: Goth (Boyfriends)

pandamonium

I may be going crazy, but last night I decided I'd take on the daunting task of cosplaying Songbird. Obviously not to scale. What would you all suggest I use to be the rigid structure of the mask (I'll be covering it with fabric)? What about the skeleton of the wings? What could I use that could include joints so I can open and close them? I'll definitely need help with the LEDs in the eyes, too.

References:

AndurilWielder

I tried making another post about this but I cannot see it. I figured there might be a time delay or lag, but hasn't popped up yet. Weird.

Since I don't want to type the whole thing up again right now I'll just say I'm looking for a convenient and feasible way to make a 5 ft sword, and wings. Materials, construction method, cost, etc. Any sort of advice anyone can give will be appreciated.

Yes I know the con only ended last week, but I expect my cosplay for fanime 2014 could take all year to make.

weaponhex

Cheapest route would be paper mache' since its gonna be covered, you can also block it out in foam if you want something lighter.
IMHO your biggest problem for the mask is going to be the placement of the eyes and the material covering them. I made a mask similar to that and it is NOT fun to wear at all because I can only see *maybe* 10-20% of normal and since they are on the side of my face it drove me crazy.

If you make a slot to see out of in the neck it might help with that but you would have hide it.

The costume looks like it would be very very heavy, especially if you are planning on adding joints for the wings and making a leather suit.
PVC pipes *could* work for the wings, but you would have to be careful about the weight of all the fabric your putting on them and all the stress

if you live local send me a PM and I can help you gather materials for cheap
2013 cosplay's
fri - Gintoki from Gintama
sat - Rōjūrō Ōtoribashi "Rose" from Bleach
sun - Trafalgar Law from One Peice
mon - Aido from Vampire Knight