2015 Cosplay "HELP Me..." thread

Started by BSaphire, April 14, 2013, 06:56:56 PM

SkylerKarashi

ok, so ive waited a couple of weeks to hear back from the previous runner of the ohshc gathering, then i checked when they were last on, and it was last year. XD somehow, i dont think im getting an answer back any time soon. haha, so could i just take it over? or can i not? O.O
My Cosplay For Fanime 2024:
Thursday: Closet Kaminari/Yuri (BNHA/Yuri On Ice)
Friday: Goth (Boyfriends)
Saturday: Red (Pokemon & Smash Bros)
Sunday: Casual Kaminari (BNHA)
Monday: Goth (Boyfriends)

PinkHairSasuke

Quote from: gary925 on June 05, 2013, 02:14:23 PM
ok, so ive waited a couple of weeks to hear back from the previous runner of the ohshc gathering, then i checked when they were last on, and it was last year. XD somehow, i dont think im getting an answer back any time soon. haha, so could i just take it over? or can i not? O.O
Safe to say that you can take over it haha

SkylerKarashi

Quote from: PinkHairSasuke on June 06, 2013, 07:49:27 AM
Quote from: gary925 on June 05, 2013, 02:14:23 PM
Safe to say that you can take over it haha
haha, thanks. i would have assumed so, but i just had to make sure. :)
My Cosplay For Fanime 2024:
Thursday: Closet Kaminari/Yuri (BNHA/Yuri On Ice)
Friday: Goth (Boyfriends)
Saturday: Red (Pokemon & Smash Bros)
Sunday: Casual Kaminari (BNHA)
Monday: Goth (Boyfriends)

yumicchi88

Hi!

I have a medium short blue wig which I used for Juvia cosplay (from Fairytail).  btw, it's the Fairytail version when she wears the wave designed outfit.
Does anyone have any idea who else I can do with that type of wig?

Thanks!
This year I will Volunteer!

Excited about Karaoke Contest!!

PinkHairSasuke

Quote from: yumicchi88 on June 07, 2013, 11:12:23 AM
Hi!

I have a medium short blue wig which I used for Juvia cosplay (from Fairytail).  btw, it's the Fairytail version when she wears the wave designed outfit.
Does anyone have any idea who else I can do with that type of wig?

Thanks!
Photo reference? I did a Google search and just find photos of her in lingerie and bikinis. Unless that's how she usually is...

Janan326

seems some have trouble making "metal" like pieces armor or not, there were panels on pepakura and eva foam, and I work with both mediums for my Iron Man and Master Chief Cosplays, so Ill see if I can start a lengthy help me/info thread on the subject, so keep an eye out for that.

edit: Here's the thread!
http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,18681.0.html

AndurilWielder

I was wondering if anyone could help give me advice on how to make a (relatively, at least) light weapon or two for my cosplay.

I thought maybe a little pcb pipe with styrofoam, but what would I encase it in, something easy to encase it in at least - that's not cardboard or aluminum foil.

lanislori

Quote from: AndurilWielder on July 04, 2013, 11:05:06 PM
I was wondering if anyone could help give me advice on how to make a (relatively, at least) light weapon or two for my cosplay.

I thought maybe a little pcb pipe with styrofoam, but what would I encase it in, something easy to encase it in at least - that's not cardboard or aluminum foil.

For the rod part of your weapon, might I suggest a wooden rod. And If I'm assuming correctly about what you mean by encase, I think paperclay would be your best bet. It is notable for being very lightweight and is great for smoothing things out. After you apply and dry, be sure to sand it.

Hope I helped you out a bit.

Janan326

what weapon? because there are different ways to approach it if we know what it is

SquishyK

Quote from: AndurilWielder on July 04, 2013, 11:05:06 PM

I've never worked with it myself but I think paperclay might get a bit pricy for trying to cover a large weapon. As an alternative you might consider paper mache or plaster gauze (also called plaster cloth). Of course paper mache is the cheapest option but the plaster gauze I find to be reasonably priced even for use on a large project. The gauze are a bit cleaner, sturdier, and easier to work with then regular paper mache in my opinion. For any place that you need to build up on top of the pole (be it pvc or wooden) and foam structure you can shape and tape newspaper. The plaster or mache would stick better to a wooden pole over pvc but if you must use pvc you might try covering it in a layer of dry newspaper first and then wrap over that. Of course be sure to reinforce well at the joints where pvc/wood meets foam and sand the casing down after it drys. I would also probably do at least 2 layers. I might suggest experimenting with both the mache/plaster and paperclay to see what works best with the other materials you are using. You might find the type of foam you have makes one work better then the other. There are advantages and disadvantages to each; for example, the mache/plaster might be too fragile or the peperclay might chip or crack. This is why I always like to test things as much as possible before I put them on my actual project.
I sell cute and geeky polymer clay jewelry!

https://www.etsy.com/shop/SquishyKreations
http://squishykreations.tumblr.com

Tested/MythBusters:
"Failure is always an option"
"Try again, fail again, fail better"
"Art is never finished, only abandoned"

Tonde_Miso

Quote from: pitin on July 05, 2013, 03:51:47 PM
I've never worked with it myself but I think paperclay might get a bit pricy for trying to cover a large weapon.

I once used paperclay to make a sword, it was my first prop and ended up a two-handed sword (oops) so much bigger than the rapier I intended. I spent about $80 in materials, so yes it can be pricey. However, before I made the sword I made a much smaller fish by covering a piece of balsa wood with it, sanded, painted and sealed. I then threw the fish down the (carpeted) stairs in my house to test durability. It took four throws before it got a very small crack on one edge. It is also very very light. And takes three days or more to dry completely, depending on how thick it is. Just adding my two cents, I'm not sure why more people don't use paperclay, other than it isn't as cheap as some alternatives.

dajoo

I have an awesome idea for a prop and I'm looking for a beat up airsoft (full auto electric) to cannabalize for parts. Any one out there know where I can get a decent one for hopefully under $30. It wouldn't have to be pretty. I just need the clip, barrell, and firing mech to be in good working order.

Nina Star 9

Quote from: Tonde_Miso on July 07, 2013, 11:15:33 AM
Quote from: pitin on July 05, 2013, 03:51:47 PM
I've never worked with it myself but I think paperclay might get a bit pricy for trying to cover a large weapon.

I once used paperclay to make a sword, it was my first prop and ended up a two-handed sword (oops) so much bigger than the rapier I intended. I spent about $80 in materials, so yes it can be pricey. However, before I made the sword I made a much smaller fish by covering a piece of balsa wood with it, sanded, painted and sealed. I then threw the fish down the (carpeted) stairs in my house to test durability. It took four throws before it got a very small crack on one edge. It is also very very light. And takes three days or more to dry completely, depending on how thick it is. Just adding my two cents, I'm not sure why more people don't use paperclay, other than it isn't as cheap as some alternatives.
Paperclay is a pretty common material that people use often, but it is only suitable for certain things. Smaller objects and more compact objects are best in paperclay, as it does not work as well over large areas or in very thin applications.
(For example -- I stupidly decided to make my double trident out of paperclay over a wire and foil armature, and it was not only a huge pain to get to stay in that shape over such a large area, but it was too delicate for the task and kept cracking. You can see in the pictures of my finished prop, I have duct tape on the bottom trident, which is the only thing holding it together. However, paperclay worked wonderfully for my fishhammer, even though I had to cover a bit of surface area [it is spread over a stiff, hollow cone], since it is compact, though I did have a difficult time getting the back fin to stabilize.)

Plus, besides cracking and possibly breaking when using over a large area, it can get -really- heavy when using a lot of it, and it doesn't support its own weight very well, requiring extra support.

For a large sword, I'd carve it out of pink insulation foam/XPS (extruded polystyrene foam) and seal that in lightweight spackle (you know, the stuff used to patch walls -- the lightweight kind is the texture of a very finely whipped buttercream and adds practically zero weight, though on my two props made of XPS, I did a thin layer of regular spackle first, which probably helps seal it a little better, as the lightweight kind can be a tad crumbly). I didn't try spraypaint over the spackle, though I'm sure it would be okay, but I was able to use acrylic craft paint over it and spray on a clear coat with no issues. This is how I made my horns for both Ultimecia and The Condesce. Both sets are very lightweight.

Paper mache is a good way to cover something, but very difficult to sand smooth. If you were to go that route, I'd look into using it as a base or a way to seal something, and then using spackle over the mache, since it is much more sandable and easier to get a very smooth look on. 

dajoo> After a very quick search, it appears that you can get very cheap airsoft guns on Ebay. However, check with the con about your plans, as airsoft guns (even gutted) are not allowed to be carried. I'm not sure if you are planning on repurposing the interior parts for something else entirely or if you are planning on still using the outer shell, but be careful. :]

Imperial

I recently learned of Pepakura types of Cosplay props, and have access to the paper and everything, I just do not know how to do and how to put together. Does anyone have general tips and or places to send me to find more infomation on building it. I am a modeler that recently got one of his items on the dota 2 workshop into the store, so breaking down models is not the problem, its just is it more than general arts and crafts or do I need to sauder things? Help please?

Janan326

Quote from: tjimmy2 on July 24, 2013, 06:50:15 PM
I recently learned of Pepakura types of Cosplay props, and have access to the paper and everything, I just do not know how to do and how to put together. Does anyone have general tips and or places to send me to find more infomation on building it. I am a modeler that recently got one of his items on the dota 2 workshop into the store, so breaking down models is not the problem, its just is it more than general arts and crafts or do I need to sauder things? Help please?
http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,18681.0.html

that post has the very basics of pepakura armoring as well as some links to other sites that specialize. hope this helps

echoshadow

Not sure if the op is a spammer, troll or just really bad with the English language. Google translate really does not do a good job.
Not your typical anime junkie.
MAL:Echoshadow's Anime List

Rhoswen

Hello, I agree on what you said about alice. Last year I attempted to make her "um" dress, (The picture you posted) and it didn't go too well.
The best way to pic out a cosplay for you is to think about which one you like the best. And when buying online, look at every single dress and prices. I personally think that the orginal blue and white dress is the easiest and best way to go.
Hope I helped.
Stars cannot shine without Darkness.

dajoo

It depends on your skill level equipment and time. What series do you like and I assume your looking to do more modifying than straight building, but what kind of time do you have to commit?

mookiebear

Hi, I need some tips on how I would go about making lugia's tail, wings, eyes, and spikes. I plan on wearing a white T-shirt and possibly blue shorts. This is my first time attempting making my own cosplay... Anyone have tips? Thank you.
]

dajoo

If you are going for more of a gijinka look, (anthropomorphized) I would recommend anti pill fleece for the tails wings and spikes. It is fairly easy to sew by hand (if you don't have a machine), and is one of the easier fabrics to deal with. You can use some wire to help stiffen and hold the wings. For the eyes I would recommend a headband and you can attach painted half globes to them. I like to use those christmas globes that are plastic and come in two pieces so you can put stuff inside. All you have to do is cut or dremmel the hangy part from the top. Hope that helps.