2015 Cosplay "HELP Me..." thread

Started by BSaphire, April 14, 2013, 06:56:56 PM

luluuxduplica1223

The idea above is great. Here are a bit more ideas to help. :)
To do gijinkas(as Dajoo described are human versions of pokemon), I'd recommend searching in google looking up 'Lugia Gijinka'. Most of the results could be a bit odd, but otherwise there are a few good ones that could be easily done. From what you said though, a shirt and shorts works fine. For the wings, I have two approaches that could work. First is to either buy or make a white hoodie and edit the sleeves to look like it. The other is to take white fleece(Anti-pill works best), and cut out the basic design, and add wire to make it bend like the pokemon's does.

For the spikes, if you go with the hoodie idea or simply use the t-shirt and get the right colored fleece and make rectangles and perhaps attach it to the back of the top you use.

For the eyes, theres an option of making a fleece hat, which is quite simple, and add on fleece to match the face. Or use your own face and add make up for the blue part. But thats usually less pleasant to some people. Or perhaps something else, but I'm missing it.

As for the tail, I recommend getting fleece and cutting out two long tail-shaped pieces, get a lot of stuffing, and some wire. sew the tail together, add the wire to shape it, and stuff it for  that tail-look.Then carefully safety pin it to your shorts or simply tie a ribbon around it to use as a belt to hold the tail up.

Sorry for it to be long. I host the pokemon gathering(for about 4 or so years now.), so I've had to make a lot of pokemon cosplay. :) Feel free to use what I gave you or you don't have to. Pokemon cosplay can be done in many different ways. Theres no right or wrong way to do them.

Hope I helped. Good luck!
Proud member of  Moral Insanity Cosplay group :D
http://moralinsanitycosplay.deviantart.com/
My deviantart:
http://luluuxduplica1223.deviantart.com/

*Organizer of the Pokemon, Fruits Basket, Gravity Falls, and Wonderland gathering at Fanime Con 2013! :D*

SquishyK

For future reference this sort of topic should really be posted here:
http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,18226.0.html

Were it me, I would probably cut the shape for the wings out of foam (like the big foam fingers at sports games) and cover that in fabric. Wire can be a little tricky to work with especially on large or complex shapes. To give structure to the spikes you can use a heavy fusible interfacing (the type used for crafts) or even something as simple as sheets of craft foam, cardboard, or use stuffing. Remember, youtube tutorials are your friend! I would also suggest looking at lots of other cosplays for your character and see what you like about them it can really help give you ideas. Speaking from experience don't feel compelled to do things "by the book" on your first couple cosplays. I have some great props and accessories that I literally stapled and glued together for lack of sewing machine. And most importantly, have fun!  ;D
I sell cute and geeky polymer clay jewelry!

https://www.etsy.com/shop/SquishyKreations
http://squishykreations.tumblr.com

Tested/MythBusters:
"Failure is always an option"
"Try again, fail again, fail better"
"Art is never finished, only abandoned"

heeroyuy135

My Google-fu has failed me, so I come here.
I need a pair of baseball pants in Columbia Blue for P4U2 Junpei. If I can't find an exact pair on the internet, how would I go about dying a plain white pair into the color I need?

Anix

Quote from: HeeroYuy135 on January 19, 2014, 09:30:18 PM
My Google-fu has failed me, so I come here.
I need a pair of baseball pants in Columbia Blue for P4U2 Junpei. If I can't find an exact pair on the internet, how would I go about dying a plain white pair into the color I need?

The first thing to remember is you want them to be 100% cotton. Artificial fibers don't dye easily / without the proper kind of dye.

Find a color that is close from Rit or similar dye water down or concentrate as needed to darken/lighten it. Teal from Rit should be close just water it down lightly.
We are a little mad here.
The question is are you going to use your powers for good or for awesome

Lilybird

I was wondering if anyone knows any good brands for an affordable wig (below $18) or is below $20 is an unreasonable expectation for a wig? Also if you were to dye a wig to make it the perfect color, would you use regular human hair coloring or fabric dye? Will that help a fakish looking wig appear more natural?

Thanks, any advice is appreciated :D

Dathamster

http://www.roverplusnine.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=softball&Product_Code=RBL-0602_Columbia&Category_Code=plain-softball-pants

Baseball pants exist in pretty much every color in the rainbow, (i know this because i play softball, and ive seen some weird designs).

Colors are usually more expensive.

You can search up columbia blue or light blue /softball/ pants and youll probobly get more results :)
Plans for fanime 2014
Sat- Tsumiki Mikan, Ren (DMMD)
Sun- Sasha Blouse, 3am Jade at the starlight ball

Darkwing790

I'm doing a Kaito Kid cosplay from Detective Conan (Case Closed) and was wondering how to do the hair. I've scoured the internet for a wig but no such luck. I was wondering if I could style my hair like his (I have the same hair color) and any help would be appreciated :)
Favorite anime in no particular order...
One Piece
Detective Conan
Hunter x Hunter
Gintama
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni

Nomoto

Quote from: Darkwing790 on January 24, 2014, 08:01:42 AM
I'm doing a Kaito Kid cosplay from Detective Conan (Case Closed) and was wondering how to do the hair. I've scoured the internet for a wig but no such luck. I was wondering if I could style my hair like his (I have the same hair color) and any help would be appreciated :)
To do so on a wig may be a bit...intense handiwork though there are lots of nice and helpful "wig stylists" that can help you in the Cosplay Hangout room...or help you in styling your hair for it =)

soshimochi

How do I properly wash a wig? I have one that I sprayed with a ton of hairspray awhile back, and it smells like hairspray and so I really want to wash it. The problem is, it's a long-haired curly wig that's multicolored, so I'm worried the curls will tangle and the colors will tangle and/or bleed. Advice?  :-\

Sivartius

How do you make something float above your head.  I'm going to cosplay Han Jee-Han from The Gamer webcomic, and he has his name, and "level" floating above his head.  So far, the best answer I've been able to come up with is to print it off on a transparency, and hold it up with one of those clear plastic holders for cards they stick in with flowers.  Does anyone have any suggestions, I'm pretty new at this.  Thank you.
I'm not actually crazy, but I'm not conventionally sane.

Acey Arisen

I apologize if this has already been asked, and I know it's probably a super obvious question, but...how does one go about contouring troll makeup? I'm doing two troll cosplays this year (Damara and Meenah), and I want them to look really good, including the makeup, but I'm a bit clueless.
My Tumblr
Planned 2016 cosplays: Amethyst (SU), God Tier Roxy (HS), Summer (Rick And Morty), Ebony Dark'Ness Dementia Raven Way (My Immortal)

mookiebear

Anyone have any advice on how I would make Cheshire Cat's paws/claws from Madness Returns? I want to give them the creepy/boney feel to them.

]

SquishyK

Quote from: Acey Arisen on February 04, 2014, 05:41:06 PM
I apologize if this has already been asked, and I know it's probably a super obvious question, but...how does one go about contouring troll makeup? I'm doing two troll cosplays this year (Damara and Meenah), and I want them to look really good, including the makeup, but I'm a bit clueless.

This is Homestuck right? (not a big Homestuck fan) I would suggest trying to find a tutorial on Youtube (I'm sure they are out there). But from what I've heard, and from my limited experience in costume makeup, it tends to be a lot of trial and error. Sometime you just have to try a bunch of different things and go with what works the best.

Tested/MythBusters:

SquishyK

Quote from: soshimochi on January 27, 2014, 02:15:19 PM
How do I properly wash a wig? I have one that I sprayed with a ton of hairspray awhile back, and it smells like hairspray and so I really want to wash it. The problem is, it's a long-haired curly wig that's multicolored, so I'm worried the curls will tangle and the colors will tangle and/or bleed. Advice?  :-\

I would suggest spraying it with cold water mixed with a mild shampoo (some online stores that sell wigs also sell special wig shampoos but that may be more of an expense then necessary). Then spray it with just water to rinse the shampoo out. If it came colored then I wouldn't worry too much about the colors bleeding but it could uncurl or tangle if you aren't careful. I would probably test it on a small section hidden in an inner layer to see how it works first.

Tested/MythBusters:

SquishyK

Quote from: pitin on February 10, 2014, 02:07:23 PM
Quote from: soshimochi on January 27, 2014, 02:15:19 PM

I would suggest spraying it with cold water mixed with a mild shampoo (some online stores that sell wigs also sell special wig shampoos but that may be more of an expense then necessary). Then spray it with just water to rinse the shampoo out. If it came colored then I wouldn't worry too much about the colors bleeding but it could uncurl or tangle if you aren't careful. I would probably test it on a small section hidden in an inner layer to see how it works first.

p.s. you could also try wrapping the curls around something (like foam curlers) while you work on it and especially while it drys to help it keep it's shape.

Tested/MythBusters:

SquishyK

Quote from: Lilybird on January 20, 2014, 06:51:32 AM
I was wondering if anyone knows any good brands for an affordable wig (below $18) or is below $20 is an unreasonable expectation for a wig? Also if you were to dye a wig to make it the perfect color, would you use regular human hair coloring or fabric dye? Will that help a fakish looking wig appear more natural?

Thanks, any advice is appreciated :D

I see this was back from mid January but I feel bad that it was ignored, wig prices often depend on the length/style of the wig. You can also often find wigs on sale (especially for "black friday" sales). Arda wigs (http://arda-wigs.com) is actually going to have all wigs 20% off starting Feb 17th to Feb 22nd. Another favorite of mine for affordable wigs is Epic Cosplay (http://www.epiccosplay.com). You should only use human hair coloring if the wig is made of human hair (VERY expensive!). There are methods for coloring wigs with felt markers by either applying the marker directly to the wig or mixing the ink from the marker with isopropyl alcohol and spraying it on. There are numerous tutorials available on youtube on how to dye wigs (also both Arda Wigs and Epic Cosplay have tutorial sections). I don't think that dyeing a wig is going to make it look any less "cheep" and you would be better served spending the money you would need for the dye on just getting a better wig, however, if you need a specific color and can't find it anywhere then getting a white or light blond wig and dyeing it is a great option (although rather messy and time consuming).

Tested/MythBusters:

Anix

Quote from: mookiebear on February 09, 2014, 01:39:24 PM
Anyone have any advice on how I would make Cheshire Cat's paws/claws from Madness Returns? I want to give them the creepy/boney feel to them.

It helps to know how realistic you want to go. Are you doing a gijinka, or are you doing furry, or some hybridized human version.

Just as a stab in the dark what I would do is get spray insulation foam from the HomeDepot. It comes in a can for $5. Spray it into a card board box lined with a plastic bag and then carve it down to what you want. You can even cut hand areas into it so you can wear them like gloves. When painted it simulates the texture relatively well, plus the slight give of the foam gives you that muscle over bone feel.
We are a little mad here.
The question is are you going to use your powers for good or for awesome

Kahluah

Quote from: mookiebear on February 09, 2014, 01:39:24 PM

To make it look boney I suggest adding something or contouring it so that it kind of follows the metacarpals and a bit of the phalanges. Its a great way to hint at and make something look creepy without really going over the top like a skeleton.

Hermes

WIG HELP, PLEASE! C:

Can I just be the first to say that making a long haired wing into a ponytail is mighty hard? Yikes.

Anyways, so I have (successfully, it seems!) put a long haired wig up into a ponytail by weaving piece of the hair back and forth on the 'under' part of it so instead of the netting showing on the back of my head, it's hair (kind of like a real head, I guess...without all the effort). I need it to stay, however, and I have a feeling that just hairspray isn't going to keep it from moving. I don't wish to continually use bobby pins (due to a glare or sheen from photos and the sun) yet will resort to that to assist the wig in keeping shape.

Is there a type of product that I could get and use that would keep the wig hair in place and keep it from moving around so I do not need to overly worry about it?

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated!
Fanime 2014
Yuri Lowell - Tales of  Vesperia
Anastasia - Cinderella

Anastasia (?) - Anastasia

Nina Star 9

Quote from: Hermes on February 13, 2014, 07:46:34 PM
WIG HELP, PLEASE! C:

Can I just be the first to say that making a long haired wing into a ponytail is mighty hard? Yikes.

Anyways, so I have (successfully, it seems!) put a long haired wig up into a ponytail by weaving piece of the hair back and forth on the 'under' part of it so instead of the netting showing on the back of my head, it's hair (kind of like a real head, I guess...without all the effort). I need it to stay, however, and I have a feeling that just hairspray isn't going to keep it from moving. I don't wish to continually use bobby pins (due to a glare or sheen from photos and the sun) yet will resort to that to assist the wig in keeping shape.

Is there a type of product that I could get and use that would keep the wig hair in place and keep it from moving around so I do not need to overly worry about it?

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated!

To keep delicate wig fiber placement from shifting, I've hand sewn the fiber in place with a thread the same color as the wig. You'll have to be careful to not have too much of the thread showing, but if you make small, careful stitches across the wig fiber (perpendicular to the way the fibers run) and get a thread that matches as close as you can get, it should be nearly invisible from a distance. (For example, I sewed my little hair swirly thing down on this wig, and while you can see the threads if you look really closely on some of the closer shots, you can hardly tell, since I used thread the same color as the blonde wig.)

I'm afraid that hairspray or other styling products like that would just make your wig clump up, get stiff, and still expose the wig netting. You can put a very light layer of hairspray on it once you sew it down, just to help keep it smooth.

Sewing is basically the more permanent and less intrusive version of bobby pins. :]