2015 Cosplay "HELP Me..." thread

Started by BSaphire, April 14, 2013, 06:56:56 PM

used mattress

Hello there! Perhaps someone can assist me here.

First cosplay: I'm looking to cosplay this nifty individual here (Front, and back). I have several questions about how to approach it. Now, let me begin and say my only knowledge of sewing is by hand. I have never used a sewing machine before and the only machine I have here at home is constantly being used. A family member has a job making clothing from home so every time I ask for a lesson, I'm denied. Now, I cannot make his weapon. I'd be flying to Fanime and I'm afraid that they won't let me carry such an item onboard. And I don't want to see my hard work go to waste, either.

But. hm. How could I make the entire chest piece. Like, all of this. I have no idea to begin. This would be the character's splash art. Their model in game is a bit different. Like this. I rather do the in-game model version, rather than their splash. How could I make the.. brown vest-looking item, and the crest. Then, the red-gold armor plating. I haven't gone thrift-store shopping yet but I plan to a week or two from now.

I'd also like to find a way how to make his gloves, the single shoulder pad and the um, fur? feathers? around his neck. OH, and wig! I'd love to cut my own hair short but I am currently trying to find a new job. And get out of my current one. But, I have to unfortunately, still appear decent.

That's one cosplay, now I have another question for another.

Second cosplay: How could one make a glove like this? I'd like to have it light up, heh. But if that's not possible, I want to at least have this item done and completed. I was thinking about using paper mache, but what other options could be available?

Thank you in advance!!
Fanime 2016 line up
Yang Xiao Long - RWBY [? days undecided]
SirLarr's GTA V online character w/giant flag prop - FunHaus [? days undecided]
Ashe or Twisted Fate - League of Legends [? days undecided]

BSaphire

A quick reminder to look at the first post to know what this thread is for and PLEASE use links for the photos :)

Here are links to the current important threads:
URL List thread = http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,19892.0.html
Official Fanime Cosplayer Gatherings & Events List = http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,19895.0.html
How to be a gathering/event organizer = http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,19896.0.html
Cosplay Gatherings Department information = http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,13396.0.html
Cosplay Hangout information = http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,19893.0.html
FanimeCon 2015 Weapons, Props, and Cosplay Policy = http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,19864.0.html

If you need cosplay related "HELP" there is a thread for that here = http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,18226.0.html
If you are looking for other cosplayers or want to do a "Shout Out" there is a thread for that here = http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,18209.0.html
BSaphire
Cosplayer Gatherings Organizer 2005-2015
Cosplayer Gatherings Department Head 2009-2015
BSP - Cosplayer, Costumer, Photographer, Journalist
Founder:
AC   DC

katsumi

Hey guys,

I want to order a cosplay.. but sort of on a budget. I found a cosplay I want but not sure how good the site/service is.

Anyone have any experience with EZCosplay?

This is the cosplay I am thinking of buying.

Thanks
-Katsumi

Dreadhawk

I've looked on various sites for the best way to do this but nobody really seems to be able to explain exactly how it works. I can get the construction down, but nobody seems to explicitly state how they make it look so good seeing out of the visor.

I'm looking to make a gold, mirrored visor (think Master Chief) and the easiest way I've been able to somewhat achieve this is by spraying some Krylon Looking Glass on one side of clear craft plastic and then layering it with gold/yellow vinyl. It works, but I can barely see through the side that isn't mirrored which is a potential safety hazard were I to walk around the con with it.

Any tips?
2019 lineup:
Shoebill (f>m genderswap) (Kemono Friends)
Elias Ainsworth (The Ancient Magus Bride)
King Hassan (Fate/Grand Order)
Gran (Granblue Fantasy)

CrystalRobot

well... I have a wig that needs slight styling. I'm gonna be cosplaying Izumi from Love Stage!! and I have a blonde wig, so I was wondering how to go about making that one cowlick on said wig? Is there any type of styling gel that would be recommended? Any tips for that would be appreciated.
my deviantART
http://crystalrobot123.deviantart.com/

~I do commissions! Note me at my deviantART page!~

Fanime 2017 Cosplay: TBA

SquishyK

Quote from: CrystalRobot on April 13, 2015, 11:32:56 AM
well... I have a wig that needs slight styling. I'm gonna be cosplaying Izumi from Love Stage!! and I have a blonde wig, so I was wondering how to go about making that one cowlick on said wig? Is there any type of styling gel that would be recommended? Any tips for that would be appreciated.

most hair gels will not hold spikes in wigs as well as hair spray and a blow dryer. Might try some Got 2B glued spiking glue but use sparingly.
I sell cute and geeky polymer clay jewelry!

https://www.etsy.com/shop/SquishyKreations
http://squishykreations.tumblr.com

Tested/MythBusters:
"Failure is always an option"
"Try again, fail again, fail better"
"Art is never finished, only abandoned"

SquishyK

Quote from: Hikari Renge on February 24, 2015, 01:19:30 PM
Hey there, sorry if this is the wrong forum, but I had a question!

I'm trying to figure out how to make Nelliel's (Bleach) Espada mask, and I'm not sure what the best medium is. I'm a brand new cosplayer, so something for beginners would be best. Or, if anyone can recommend someone to commission, that'd be great!

Thanks again!

p.s. it's something like this: http://i01.i.aliimg.com/wsphoto/v0/544473281/Bleach-No-3-Privaron-Espada-Nelliel-Tu-Odelschwanck-Mask-Crack-Version-Cosplay-Mask.jpg

Since you're pretty new I'd probably recommend using some combination of paper mache and paperclay. The paperclay will probably work well for getting those details. You can cover a plastic mask with painters tape or masking tape for a base (because most things don't stick well to plastic, though I've never tried paper mache over something completely covered in masking tape) or look at YouTube for tutorials on making a mask from scratch. Also, I'm rather partial towards plaster cloth over paper mache to get a clean look. It's pretty easy to use although requires sanding. You can find plaster cloth and paperclay at most craft stores. If you really want to commission it look for artist's that take those types of commissions on Etsy or Cosplay.com

Tested/MythBusters:

OtakuAngel87

I know this might seem pretty last minute, but I've been working on my cosplay for Attack on Titan x Hatsune Miku, I'm more or less very close to finishing everything, just got a lot of painting left to do. What I'm asking for help on is how best to attach the 3D gear to my belt. Unfortunately, I also don't have the back piece which I've struggled to try to figure out how to make and also due to time constraints (I know it's a tough cosplay to take on last minute with limited time) so it won't be incorporated in the costume but the boxes are still present.Any help will be appreciated.
Fanime 2017 Cosplay Lineup(tentative):
Himouto Umaru
Mikuzukin
Hatsune Miku (original)
Sailor Moon

SquishyK

Quote from: OtakuAngel87 on April 30, 2015, 03:46:21 PM
I know this might seem pretty last minute, but I've been working on my cosplay for Attack on Titan x Hatsune Miku, I'm more or less very close to finishing everything, just got a lot of painting left to do. What I'm asking for help on is how best to attach the 3D gear to my belt. Unfortunately, I also don't have the back piece which I've struggled to try to figure out how to make and also due to time constraints (I know it's a tough cosplay to take on last minute with limited time) so it won't be incorporated in the costume but the boxes are still present.Any help will be appreciated.

3DMG is not easy! That's the part that my AoT cosplay group and I got a bit caught up on. We haven't gotten back to working on them yet (we rushed last minute for last fanime and I think they could use some improvements before they are ready) but the solution I've been considering is attaching them to the belt that goes around your waist with large lobster claw style clasps. I want to attach 2 straps up the length of the inner facing side of each of the boxes up to my waist belt (it can go under the skirt so they should be hidden) and then have the clasps on the end of the straps to they can attach right to the belt and even be removed at any time if need be. I don't know if this is the best solution but it's an idea.

Tested/MythBusters:

OtakuAngel87

Quote from: pitin on April 30, 2015, 04:44:56 PM
Quote from: OtakuAngel87 on April 30, 2015, 03:46:21 PM

3DMG is not easy! That's the part that my AoT cosplay group and I got a bit caught up on. We haven't gotten back to working on them yet (we rushed last minute for last fanime and I think they could use some improvements before they are ready) but the solution I've been considering is attaching them to the belt that goes around your waist with large lobster claw style clasps. I want to attach 2 straps up the length of the inner facing side of each of the boxes up to my waist belt (it can go under the skirt so they should be hidden) and then have the clasps on the end of the straps to they can attach right to the belt and even be removed at any time if need be. I don't know if this is the best solution but it's an idea.

Thanks that sounds like a very doable solution. I'll have to try that one out. It's coming down the wire and I'm nervous about being able to properly attach the gear so this is very helpful. I just hope it won't look awkward because I'm a bit short and with the harness and everything hopefully I can still walk properly...thanks!!!!
Fanime 2017 Cosplay Lineup(tentative):
Himouto Umaru
Mikuzukin
Hatsune Miku (original)
Sailor Moon

Bolli

HOW DO I FIX THIS PROBLEM!??!?!

I fear my armpits will be showing and I don't think they will be ok when I put body paint on them!

Here is what I have been suggested so far by my friends:

1. Liquid Latex (That is a little expensive...)
2. Body paint + hairspray (That sounds like a sticky mess)
3. Body Paint + flour/powder/talc (Sounds messy-ish)
4. Wear a body suit (I don't have the money or time for one plus they are scary and might look odd)
5. Taint my armpits with sharpie or any kind of marker (what?)
6. Deal with it and have fun! CONFIDENCE MAKES ONE LOOK SO GOOD! (My cousin and no she doesn't cosplay btw)

Nina Star 9

Hello there!

It's totally possible to paint your armpits for cosplay. It may not stay as well as an area that is drier and doesn't rub against itself, but it will stay in place if done correctly. You also probably aren't going to be doing a ton of photos that show your pits, so that shouldn't be much of an issue (and can be photoshopped if it is). Scroll down a bit to see the results of my own armpit bodypainting (though this is white water-based paint, so it's pretty much the hardest color to get even and smooth and opaque). I can't believe I'm posting a link to pictures of my armpits...

Also, take a look through this tag. the first post is specifically about sweat.

There's so much misinformation about body paint out there. Don't listen to your friends, except for bodysuit friend. They know what's up. If you don't want a bodysuit though, you'll have to paint.

Otherwise, you have a few options. The two that are probably most feasible are a well-sealed water-based paint and PAX.

PAX is something I've never personally used, but it's popular. It is a combination of Prosaid prosthetic adhesive (basically a body-safe glue) and Liquitex acrylic paint. This gets applied to your skin, is powdered carefully and heavily, and then stays pretty much until you soak it off with water and/or PAX remover. This will give you the best staying power in somewhere like your armpits, though it does tend to wrinkle quite a bit, so it might not be 100% suitable for somewhere that moves a lot. If you want to wear the costume more than one day, this is probably your best option. It also can't be used on the face. Be careful with this option if you have sensitive skin. This thread has a lot of information.

You can also use a water-based paint that is properly sealed. I say water-based for a few reasons -- it is relatively inexpensive and easy to obtain, it can be applied without an airbrush (both of those things are drawbacks of alcohol-activated paint, though that is very high quality, professional, and waterproof), and it is unlikely to smudge (unlike creme paint, which should only be used on the face or for small details). When I've painted my armpits, I've just mixed the paint with water, but Liquiset or a similar product will increase the waterproofing. You will want to shave the hair from the area, mix the paint with water of Liquiset until it is a creamy (but not overly wet) consistency, and apply it with either a brush or a sponge, making sure to dab it on in layers. If you have oily skin or want to decrease shine, you can use a powder over the paint, though this isn't needed for setting. Many theatrical powders have antiperspirants in the formula, so if you are worried about sweat, use one of these. (You can also apply your regular antiperspirant/deodorant product before, just make sure that it isn't excessive or gloppy.) Once you have built up thin layers of paint until it is a good opacity, you will liberally mist yourself with a setting spray. I have used both Mehron's Barrier Spray and Ben Nye's Final Seal. I wouldn't recommend hairspray, since it isn't meant for prolonged skin contact, and can be sticky or crunchy, depending on the formula. It also won't have as much staying power. Make sure you apply the spray in layers, as well, as to not melt the paint underneath it, but be sure that you build up many layers so it is fully sealed. And then you're done! Enjoy the con!

I've never used liquid latex body paint before, but it has a tendency to peel

There's more detailed information in some of those tumblr posts, and you can find all sorts of tutorials online if you just search them up. If you have any questions about body paint, feel free to ask.

I hope that helps. :] I usually carry body painting supplies with me at the con (including sealant), so if you run into trouble and you see me, I'll be willing to help.

Bolli

Quote from: Nina Star 9 on May 03, 2015, 03:25:25 PM

LOL It's ok pits are cool, yo! And I'm still new to cosplaying. It's just fun but sometimes I can be a perfectionist...Sometimes. And even thought my costume isn't a good quality at all (I try to work with what is cheapest.), my main problem was my armpits getting all pooped with the body paint. Bleh!!! I doubt I'll want any pictures taken but if so then I will probably not lift my arms! So you are right. XD

I have that cheap body/face paint cream from Party City btw. I have used it before for a lame Homestuck cosplay 2 Halloweens ago. It was messsssy! Well, I got a little bit smeared on my shirt and pants. (Then again I applied it in the girls bathroom in a hurry wow)
I mean, I don't know what else to work with most of the time and I am usually trying to find the cheapest stuff, also that is available in stores near me. And since I feel like I wont be using it much, more like twice or once a year. (Halloween and a Convention) I feel like maybe I shouldn't care much but my brain is coming up with thoughts and they are unpleasant!!!

Also, I have hairy arms and I have this thing where I just can't shave them. Not sure how those other paints will do if I won't shave my arms.  :-[

I might just have to carry cleaning wipes and extra paint with me if I can't do anything else or at least afford to. I'm truly ruined! XD

Thank you so much for your help and your tips! I am most likely to keep those suggestion for another future cosplay (when I get a part time job and save money at least!).
I really appreciate it! :3

Gengrawr

While I can't think of any suggestions besides using PAX, I will say that if you don't remove the hair from wherever you're going to apply it, it'll be painful to remove. I used the stuff on my arms for Halloween as Marshall Lee a few years ago and accidentally applied too far up past where I shaved and it was a total pain to remove. Harsh scrubbing because I couldn't get it to peel off like I could with other spots. PAX seemed to be relatively water proof though (at least when I washed my hands) and it didn't rub off unless I started to dig my nails into it to remove it on purpose.

Really sorry I can't help besides giving you a tidbit on using PAX. Good luck!

Bolli

So uh I got my wig today! :D

But it's pooooop! I mean the top part, you can see the lines from where the hair has been put on!

Like I don't know how to show a pic...It's not as terrible but it's pretty annoying and ugly! D:

How would I fix this? Is there another way to fix this problem without using hair extensions/wefts? ._.

SquishyK

Quote from: Bolli on May 05, 2015, 11:12:19 PM
So uh I got my wig today! :D

But it's pooooop! I mean the top part, you can see the lines from where the hair has been put on!

Like I don't know how to show a pic...It's not as terrible but it's pretty annoying and ugly! D:

How would I fix this? Is there another way to fix this problem without using hair extensions/wefts? ._.

Not quite sure what you mean by "lines" if you mean that you can see the individual wefts pieces it's unusual that it's happening at the top of the wigs as you would usual see that in the back on cheep wigs. There is not a whole lot you can do besides filling it out with more wefts. If it's heat resistant you can try using a blow dryer to style it and cover parts where it's showing wig base/weft sections. Or you can try using hairspray to style it and fix the issue. If there is a dramatic color difference between your hair and the wig you can try to get a wig cap to match the wig and try minimizing the appearance. I'm not sure exactly how bad your wig is but in my experience if you take a wig you just got out of the bag and your first reaction is "this looks cheep as dirt" chances are you'll end up spending more time & money on fixing it then is really worth your while. Overly shiny wigs and heat resistant wigs with "bag hair" can be easy fixes but if the wig is so thin that weft sections are showing.... that is a lot of work to fix.

Tested/MythBusters:

Bolli

Quote from: pitin on May 06, 2015, 01:32:25 PM

Yeah I showed some friends and they said that the wig is thin. My cousin said to put tissue under the wig so it doesn't look weird with the black of the cap showing. What do you think of that? XD

SquishyK

Quote from: Bolli on May 06, 2015, 02:24:21 PM
Quote from: pitin on May 06, 2015, 01:32:25 PM

Yeah I showed some friends and they said that the wig is thin. My cousin said to put tissue under the wig so it doesn't look weird with the black of the cap showing. What do you think of that? XD

The tissue will probably not stay in place. It is often difficult to get proper wig caps to even stay in place. Get a light colored "stocking" style wig cap and when you put it on bobypin the heck out of it so it doesn't slip around.

Tested/MythBusters:

Red_hood

Hi. so im trying to add some battle damage to a mask(like giving it a whole scratched up battle scars type of thing) but im not sure how to do that. i dont wanna carve up my mask( dont think that would work anyways) but have no clue how to paint on battle scars. any advice?

Bolli

Ugh having more problems with this cheap poop wig....Yeah my fault for not finding a nicer one cause my dad would get mad if I spent more.
So I thought I could fix it with either colored tissues under the wig or like others suggested, a light colored cap.

NOPE! It is even worse because the the cap lines whatever that holds the wig are yellow! Its ugly! My hair is white but its cap is an ugly yellow! Then again I am dying it a pale lavender color but the yellow lines are so gross. Maybe the color will change with the dye? I am dying it but more like spritzing it around here and there.

What do now? Maybe I should stop being so picky and go with it, have fun...It is my first time I am cosplaying at a con.

Willing to take notes and suggestions though.